Sprint will start selling Windows Phone 8 devices in 2013
0. phoneArena 13 Nov 2012, 09:20 posted on
Sprint is the only one of the big four U.S. carriers that does not offer a single Windows Phone 8 device, but this will change in 2013…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. -box- (Posts: 3536; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Good to see another major carrier join in, and that sprint is realizing its iphone-centric strategy may not be a winning one.
I wonder if it was a mutual thing, as Microsoft wouldn't have wanted to release LTE phones for a mostly non-existent LTE network?
10. Ruckus (Posts: 276; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Having the iPhone is a winning strategy but so is having WP8 devices. Choice is good my friend.
As for the LTE ordeal I doubt that has much to do with it. Afterall Tmo is getting Windows devices and they lag behind Sprint in LTE.
19. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Sprint, if u didn't know, that's 3-4 MONTHS from now so u better hurry that late date up
15. apocalypsebc (Posts: 146; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
I also think the IPhone and the deployment of LTE from WIMAX is breaking Sprint but Softbank is helping them out with their debt. Even though Sprint has the IPhone, it's good to have choices. I will be one of the happy Sprint customers when Windows Phone 8 arrive! Hopefully Sprint will have some 2nd wave/generation Windows Phones at that time.
2. PAPINYC (Posts: 1953; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Probably because all of their previous Windows Mobile releases have BOMBED; smart on their part, see if WM8 BOMBS on the other carriers before committing!!
4. tigermcm (Posts: 596; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
if im not mistaken Sprint was the forerunner for WinMo. If the releases bombed why did they continue being the forerunner?
3. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 778; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
No, it's because they have a big 15 billion dollar Apple deal to protect
5. Commentator (Posts: 2083; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I'm sure the HTC Arrive will be happy for the company it's going to receive.
6. tigermcm (Posts: 596; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
I help but think Japan's Softbank is the reasoning behind this and not actually Sprint. Unfortunately they are too late, I'll be severing my 11yr relationship and 25% discount and leaving to Tmo this month.
8. PAPINYC (Posts: 1953; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Awwwwwwwh........, poor baby.
Look on the bright side, at least now you'll truly have 4G!
9. Bernoulli (Posts: 1335; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Right! How can anyone compare sprint's mediocre speeds as 4G? None the less their 3G is close to my edge speeds, and people lose signal with sprint when entering into a building, plus they're cdma phones so if you wanted an international variant of a mobile you couldn't be able to get it, I don't see how they are still operating really
11. downphoenix (Posts: 2134; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Smart decision for sprint, since WP7 was a dud in sales and it took them a good while to offload their HTC Arrive stock, and a lot of that was just from the FIRST production run they had of it. Sprint itself did a poor job promoting it, but every other carrier besides AT&T did too, and the sales figures didnt really bump up that much from advertising.
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5468; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
That's kinda a dumb move when WIndows PHone is already on AT&T and T-Mobile and Verizon is gettin theirs later this holiday season. If they push their date same with Verizon for those that want WP8 it will drive their sales up a bit
13. GeekMovement (Posts: 1481; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Looking forward to it. Windows 8 has a lot to bring to the table at Sprint.
14. Jyakotu (Posts: 813; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
Glad to see Sprint is finally bringing Windows Phone 8 to the masses. Obviously, they're going to get the HTC 8X in order to replace the Arrive. However, I think the release date is all wrong. If the sales are going to be lackluster, it's only due to Sprint not getting WP8 during the holiday season.
16. MC1123 (Posts: 1219; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i hope nokia phones again!!! i mean nokia offers the best! so why would sprint offers what's less?!
17. Credo (Posts: 657; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
I'm wondering when Windows Phone 8 devices will start shipping to Belgium, what a disaster Nokia , HTC & Sammy !!!
20. IamGadget (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
I held the new Samsung windows 8 sd card and more..and you do not have to remove the cover to get to the card .I also believe you can change the battery...and some of the other windows 8 you are stuck. I think the name on the Samsung is something like ativ