Sprint to put its Sprint ID feature on Samsung Galaxy Tab and Samsung Epic 4G

0. phoneArena 28 Oct 2010, 02:57 posted on

Sprint has announced at its developer conference that its Sprint ID feature will be made part of the Galaxy Tab upon the launch of the tablet on November 14th, and the Samsung Epic 4G will have it added to the phone via a future software upgrade...

posted on 28 Oct 2010, 05:52

1. oddmanout (Posts: 435; Member since: 22 May 2009)

So long as they don't plaster the sprint ID logo all over the face of android like the mid range sprint ID handsets, i think it'll be a good idea. But if the sprint ID icon is pinned to the face of android at all times and is a permanent/irremovable icon... it could be a deal breaker to some imo. The epic and galaxy tab are high end devices and when people pay so much for things like that, they tend to want a premium feel, not just hardware but software wise as well. And imo, the sprint ID button will further take away from that stock android experience that people love. But like I said before, if its just placed as an app in the app directory, i can't see any harm in that.

posted on 28 Oct 2010, 11:15

2. SPRINT ID SUCKS!!! (unregistered)

i hate sprint id...its more bloatware that slows down the device. you have to download it when setting up the phone which nearly drains the battery. way to go sprint

posted on 28 Oct 2010, 12:52

3. sprint cust (unregistered)

epic fail on sprints part. Defeats the whole purpose of the android platform system. Stop being lazy people and browse thru the market for the apps you want. people have gotten sooo lazy

posted on 28 Oct 2010, 20:17

4. Good Idea (unregistered)

While Sprint ID may not be as attractive to some of us here, it will be very popular with the average smartphone user (new users specifically). Newbies will find it easy to customize their phone even more. It just shows that Sprint IS thinking about its broad spectrum of customers, and as an advanced user, if you root its not a problem and if you dont root, you can choose not to use it. Whats wrong with that?

posted on 29 Oct 2010, 09:08

5. Sprint ID SUCKS (unregistered)

Mr. Good Idea, or should I say Mr. Company man?

You obviously have not tried to activate a phone with Sprint ID preloaded on it. It is cumbersome and awkward. Before ANYTHING can be done you have to download an ID.

What if I don't want a Sprint ID on my phone? Or what if the phone doesn't provision fast? Too bad. Sprint says it is good for you... so therefore you will have one.

Android is awesome in that it is very customizable. Sprint ID takes away from that.

posted on 15 Nov 2010, 16:04

6. C. (unregistered)

okk??? so what if your like me and dont give a flying hell about E! like wth?? r u telling me their practically switchin the UI based upon a damn channel on TV?!!!

posted on 12 Jun 2011, 06:49

7. Kevinm62 (unregistered)

Worked at a Sprint call center for one year.

I hate Sprint ID. I've used it myself and think it is pretty pointless. The argument behind Sprint ID being useful is that it helps the beginning/new android user; lies. Tell me, when you get your new phone, would you like to spend 15-20 minutes to set it up before you can even make a call? Oh and that is when everything goes smoothly.

I'd say that about 30% of my ID phone calls took nearly 30 minutes and ended with an RTN(wipe). If the customer turned the phone on and didn't have a great data connection immediately then they were sol. We would have to wipe it and that only fixed it if they had a good data connection. OH... and I mean Sprint data, not wifi or roaming.

Rant continued. Another annoying issue with ID phones is that certain tools are placed in different areas depending on which ID phone it is. I don't see why Sprint or the developers moved the Data profile update button around. It is a strong tool for tech support and fixes almost half of the issues. And yes, I and my other team mates easily learned where each of the different locations were, but when you have been taking calls for 7 hours it is very easy to slip up and start having a cust navigate - menu > settings > scroll down > system updates > look for profile update > OH, wait.. yay I know you don't see it... I mean back out... ugh, you have the Zio... umm.... hit your application button and lets look for > interrupted, "WHAT, WAIT, WHAT BUTTON?" >... > nvm... I'm sorry, we are going to start over, just hit that back arrow button until you see the home screen. Ok, now please select the phone icon, yes the one that looks like a phone. Ok, now dial *4, ok now scroll down, do you see the help button? > > > > > > > To summarize, it adds dumb steps even if you don't mess up as a rep.

posted on 18 Jun 2011, 04:00

8. du2vye (unregistered)

Where do they get these ideas? It would be so much better if Sprint and developers thought about something useful. If they are so concerned about average or new or non-techie users, they would spend time improving the user interface and not adding more junk. People don't even download a whole album anymore - what gives them the idea anyone wants a whole "experience"?

posted on 23 Aug 2011, 08:11

9. Cheveuxgris (unregistered)

I tried adding a Sprint ID, just to try it out. Now I can't get back to my original. The Sprint ID software continually locks up. The Sprint call center was useless. They didn't even understand the issue.