x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

Sprint reports 2Q numbers: better, but still bad.

0. phoneArena 06 Aug 2008, 23:05 posted on

Sprint's 2Q08 numbers were released today and they again lost a significant amount of customers, but the dawn may be coming...

posted on 08 Aug 2008, 16:21

Let's take a look at another one of your "facts". YOUR certified store techs you speak of aren't even YOUR techs. Solectron is not owned by VZW, every store technician with the exception of the Gulf Coast area in Texas (Houston) is employed by Solectron and not VZW, I used to be one. And if by certified you mean to read, then you are correct. I spent 2 years as a tech and a lead tech and never once got "certified" on anything VZW carries. There is no formal training, just a bunch of techs "playing" with new devices when they come in to "learn" them. And, as far as your knowledgable CS reps, I pray that you aren't referring to the one's in your stores. I have heard some of the lamest excuses for billing issues from in store CS reps while working as a tech. I don't use Sprint or VZW for that matter, but you are clearly mistaken if you think you CS reps are helpful. Working as a tech in the store is one of the main reasons I am NOT with VZW. It kinda does that when you watch one of those "professional" CS reps sit there and ignore a customer that is right in front of them because she is to busy texting on her phone. I'm not saying Sprint is great, but VZW is hardly the paradise you make it out to be. When it comes to CS just remember that you can dress a monkey up in a tux, but it's still a monkey. Basically just because your CS reps don't LOOK like the "acne infested tweens sitting on their fat asses" doesn't mean they aren't. Oh, and one more thing, go back to your wireless signal training, ya know, the one you never had to begin with? Service in a desert is not a hard feat as desert is dry flatland. Wireless signals carry farther distances when there are know physical obstructions. If you want to brag about signal strength, try claiming that those customer's can traverse the Rocky Mountains and NEVER lose signal. Of course seeing as no carrier has been able to get rid of dead spots entirely, you'd be lying.

posted on 08 Aug 2008, 16:23

sorry, know=no

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 16:15

25. DonHaren (unregistered)

go to a verizon store. try their push to talk, they have 2 demos per store. take it for a spin . they are faster. much. to say nextel is under a second is a blatant lie. coming from a nextel subscriber who HAD 300 lines with them, NEVER once did it ever work that fast, and dont say "it was the area you were in"because we work the country and it is shitty service. Yeah we had hybrids, yeah we were on the latest phone with the best you had to offer. It took 15 minutes of playing Verizon to get us to test drive them. Better looking phone, more features, cheaper plans and the service is SO much better. I agree with the guy up top, you guys have done too little too late. It is hilarious that now you want to claim you are better when all the numbers say you are worse than little T Mobile.

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 16:28

26. anonymous22 (unregistered)

Dan take your Verizon push to wait, and take a "Nextel" unit and test the time it takes to connect and you'll see that you're incorrect. No comparison has ever showed Verizon to be faster.

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 17:05

Customer service? Ha! This is a post of mine from the Palm blog back in April 2007. I am hard pressed to believe anything Sprint has to say about improving customer service. "According to the personal secretary to the President of Sprint "The only thing we care about is customers paying their bills on time". This from a conversation I had trying to speak with the President of Sprint regarding their terrible customer service." Since that time they have disconnected me several times for no reason because of their lousy billing system. They always acknowledge the problem and fix it, but too late to recapture those missed business calls and damage to my reputation for having a 'disconnected' number. My monthly package price apparently exceeded the credit limit they had established for me so the minute my bill came out, they disconnect because I was over my credit limit! I'm not talking about a past due amount either. I'm talking about having a ZERO balance on the 3rd of the month and getting disconnected on the 4th when my bill gets posted! If I didn't have a need for their data service I would drop them like a hot potato.

posted on 08 Aug 2008, 03:24

Whose fault is it that you picked a plan that exceeded your spending limit every month....YOURS!!!! Maybe you should have a better credit score, only reason you would have a spending limit in the first place is a shitty credit rating, thats a fact. Sounds like you can't live within your means, thats why your credit is shit, and why you are too much of a moron to pick a plan or use your service enough that exceeds your spending limit EVERY MONTH!!! Way too blame Sprint for your lack to manage your own money and finances!!!! Brilliant!!! Now let's hear about how I don't know what I am talking about and how you had a credit rating of over 700 or something.......wait for it....I can hear it coming.........BULLSHIT!!!! Don't even try it. Go consolidsate your debt or something.

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 17:20

Wow you guys are really funny your making my day. I can not stop laughing at this arguing like little kids and even if the PTT on vzw was as good as you say who would you radio with the whole 10 customers that have it. Come on seriously no body buys the walkie talkie on verizon you do get alot of customer but no PTT.

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 17:47

just a reminder, the IDen network is going to be shut down by the FCC in the next year or two. They how will those Nextel phones work. Just a thought.

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 22:51

First of all, they are not shutting down the IDEN network. Secondly, the new PTT works on EVDO Rev A, just like Verizon. It's called Qchat, look it up. So even if they were shutting down IDEN, Sprint would be converting the Nextel customers over to the CDMA side and that would be that. The new Qchat enabled handsets are very nice and many of them deliver all the multimedia features like TV and Music Store.

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 17:50

since when vzw known for ptt??? Sprint is the best on thAt without a question. Give me a BREAK all u VZW-FANBOY!

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 19:10

33. vxw sucks (unregistered)

if you notice vzw gets the more sophisticated hand sets after sprint and then tbey are missing all the glitz n glam that you purchased the phone for in the first place. case n point the htc touch diamond, if you read all the blogs n newsfeeds they state that sprint is making sure that all the apps and more are incorporated in the phone along with rev a right out the gate. how bout that vzw lovers!

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 17:54

I can't wait for the day when VZW buys Sprint...seems it could be a reality anyday now..after VZW digest ALLTELL

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 19:07

32. vzw sucks (unregistered)

the only reason vzw would put any effort into purchasing sprint is so they could use sprint's more update and sophisticated software to push their sales.

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 19:27

Germans

posted on 10 Aug 2008, 13:13

56. C-Chicki (unregistered)

Yes because if Verizon cannot compeat with the prices they 'digest' them. And if you DARE say something like, Oh there was no competition between Alltel and Verizon your more than mistaken. Money talks and Bullshit walks huh?

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 21:08

35. Trygon (unregistered)

For anyone here who's up to date with RECENT Sprint behavior... I don't need 'I had Sprint two years ago and it sucked blauuuuuugh' comments. The turnaround since Hesse took over has been dramatic. Simply Everything and the Instinct have been the showstoppers, but his CS updates are likely the most important. Let me fill you in on the first serious mandate to come down to us reps here in the call center. We were given a mandatory test, with very clear expectation - 100%. Fail three times, and your job just became extra expense. Granted, I don't know a whole lot about CS management in cellphone companies, but from a (sorta) layman's perspective, this three strikes way of weeding out the trash seems brutal, severe, and exactly what we need. I don't know that Sprint will come out of this, but I do know that if anyone could level out this nosedive, it's Dan. So, we're in the best possible hands. Let's see how it goes.

posted on 07 Aug 2008, 22:58

Alright I actually read every single post, the name calling ones, the intelligent ones. Here's my opinion, on the bright side for sprint: great success with devices and they're not limited or "locked" like many VZW devices, very nice and innovative Simply Everything plan, and THE MOST PTT customers. But why with all that would 901k customers leave? And did anyone realize that that was considered good news?! Analysts predicted 906k leaving so yay for the 5k that stayed? I really do hope that these great leaps and bounds are being taken because I don't think anyone wins when a company loses money and customers like this. I mean sure other carriers get their customers, but then people also lose their jobs, and competition gets smaller. Yes I like VZW but not blindly, I know that in order for them to stay innovative and competitive there has to be competition. I mean the whole 3rd release of PTT is because VZW knows they have to get a better PTT product out there in order to compete with sprint. And I'm sure I'll get a lot of angry replies for this but why if there's a company that locks their phones, charges more, and is known as the most expensive and strict company why does VZW post record low churn rates and continuing profits?

posted on 08 Aug 2008, 00:05

I agree with the post that stated non educated individuals are being promoted over others. I was a vzw employee for three years before I left. I have seen many great salesman stuck in the same store because they were not willing to kiss ass. Given a college degree is not needed for success, most of the managers that I came across could not put together a email that made sense. There were many errors and so on. On the flip side, many salesman had no idea what they were talking about. Case in point, one salesman that was at a store for four years. I had a chance to shadow him when I first started, lets just say that he lied about everything. He basically was great at selling but had no idea about the products. He was not the only salesman that I came across who had no idea about the products at all. In terms of sprint, I agree, change does take time. Change does not happen over night. The only reason that verzion has done so well is that they are co owned by voda phone. The largest cellular provider in the world. They have the funds open to them to invest over 8 billion a year in there network. As well, verizon communications is one of the largest companies out there. Thus vzw has great deals of funds coming in. Overall, vzw is ok but management does not know the difference between their left hands and right hands. With 52 million customers, I don't see sprint folding anytime soon. Cheers!

posted on 08 Aug 2008, 14:02

43. Kris98 (unregistered)

RE: 55 I never said sprint nextel's i-den network isn't the biggest in the world because it is. However i-den technology isn't being deployed anymore throughout the world as a whole. So by sprint saying there the biggest in the world really means they cant find anything else good to talk about it, and pretty much is like saying they are the biggest fish in a tiny pond.

posted on 09 Aug 2008, 02:22

I believe this is your quote, guess you got caught with your foot in your mouth. "And for any sprint lover to say nextel ptt is the largest and best in the world is also ignorant. The reason is because no other country or company in the world is stupid enough to deploy crappy i-den technology."

posted on 08 Aug 2008, 15:59

sprint sucks plain as day. vzw is better. PTT service is much faster than everyone out there. accept it. move on. come pay the 400 deposit you get through vzw you broke ass motherfuckers.

posted on 10 Aug 2008, 13:25

57. C-Chicki (unregistered)

Keep you mouth silent please. You give a horrible name to a great company. PTT with verizon does not surpass PTT with IDEN, does that say Verizon's a bad company? No but get you facts straight. You sound like every other ignorant sales rep with you lack of product information hindering you sales. "Why should I go to you company?" "Because we are the best" Thats it. Nothing more. No facts. Just your biased opinion. I wouldnt believe a single damn thing if it doesnt have paper to back it up, sorry.

posted on 09 Aug 2008, 18:43

49. VZW Employee (unregistered)

The reason why Sprint's 2q numbers aren't as bad as it's 1q numbers is because they barely have enough customer's left to do any worse then they already have...

posted on 10 Aug 2008, 13:26

58. C-Chicki (unregistered)

I dont believe around 52M is barely anything

posted on 09 Aug 2008, 22:18

Hate on, things will get worse before they get better. You all are seeing churn and defections decrease marginally so that is a small sign of improvement

posted on 10 Aug 2008, 03:11

Funny is hearing people talk about Sprint's Wimax, which right now is being petitioned by ATT. You guys are saying Verizon will be left in the dust? You do know in 2010 they are the first network to be switching to 4g right? LTE is a much faster and more capable network then Wimax, and it has been proven in tests. Both VZW and ATT will be using it fully by 2011. So Sprint will still be laying off employees, losing more and more customers, and not gaining any IQ within the customer care line. To visit the point of PTT, only Verizon right now is offering PTT through Rev-A and the Push to Talk phones they have are much better then Sprint/Nextel. So before any of you cheap Sprint customers come in here and act like you know a thing or two, research a bit. Cause Wimax is far out for Sprint, and LTE is on it's way in for VZW and ATT.

posted on 10 Aug 2008, 03:19

Here's what I love the most.. So I guess good ole Sprint is selling more of their stuff to cope with the losses. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080808/tc_nm/sprint_iden_dc

posted on 11 Aug 2008, 15:44

LMAO I WAS JUST READING ABOUT THAT! Now what do you have sprint lovers? Without that "IDEN IS BETTER" topic, what will you claim Sprint has now?

posted on 10 Aug 2008, 10:50

ATT, Verizon nor Alltel have even started the groundwork for LTE they just have plans as of now while Sprint has actual tangibles now and 66's ptt facts at all, merely opinion

posted on 10 Aug 2008, 15:42

with these bad news around, they still have 52m plus customers outthere. That makes them 3rd largest in the country. Get it? vzw ain't the best period they are coowner with VODAFONE. Plus, they have Verizon comunication. With all these shit how come they don't have 100m customers since they so call the ' BEST '. vzw FANBOYS!