Sprint releases official Photon Q images and specs
0. phoneArena 26 Jul 2012, 15:57 posted on
Sprint and Motorola quickly made the Photon Q official after this morning's CEO faux pass, so here's the details (and pics) of this top-shelf Android slider...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
could it be? Finally a high end slide?
Well, this just made my decision for me.
2. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
this is WAY better looking than it's predecessor. i'd get this if i were on Sprint.
3. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Good to see high-end sliders somewhere other than Verizon
4. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 311; Member since: 03 May 2012)
The slider could definitely be a great way of typing, i only hope the keyboard is made with precision and makes it a whole lot better than "on screen" typing....This phone is definitely one to consider....But like king said it being on sprint is where i kinda frown...
6. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it copies the critically acclaimed Droid 3/4 Keyboard so it's bound to be fantastic.
8. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 311; Member since: 03 May 2012)
well in that case this one sounds like a winner....for sprint owners at least :)
23. lsutigers (Posts: 819; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
Glad to see sliders are still alive, I miss my old HTC TP2 keyboard sometimes. This will be a great replacement to the Samsung Galaxy S (OG) Epic but with LTE, NFC, world phone capability, updated processor and new software. The OG Photon is still one of the best Android phones on Sprint and it's getting ICS. Motorola has always made quality hardware and their radios are some of the best.
5. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
pretty good phone i say. only thing missing is an hd screen and jb but thats just being hopeful
7. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i don't know why they didn't give it an HD screen. maybe Moto doesn't find it necessary for smaller screened devices because qHD is sharp enough on them and cause less power drain. that may be the same reasoning HTC had with the Droid Incredible 4G LTE.
9. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 311; Member since: 03 May 2012)
the only phone i can recall having an HD screen on a 4.3 inch is the xperia phones from sony.....The one s has a qHD screen and the incredible 4g lte also has a qHD so im guessing phones with 4in to 4.3inches dont really need a HD screen...
26. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3701; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
The HTC Rezound also has a 720p screen on a 4.3 inch display.
10. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
could be but the droid incredible is a 4'' and this is 4.3''...they should have just made it like the atrix hd and made it 4.5'' hd screen..i personally wouldnt get a phone today without a hd screen. it shouldnt really be an issue anyways,whether it s hd or qhd or wvga you only ever see pixels whnen your eyes are like cm away from the screen
12. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 311; Member since: 03 May 2012)
well like you said, its personal preferences and if you seen the HTC one s then you know qHD screens look just as good..
15. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
yep the one s screen does look great in normal use but i think thats also to do with it being a super amoled screen. dont know what this is
19. Commentator (Posts: 3653; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
This will be a ColorBoost screen, so color reproduction should be on par with the Atrix HD. From most reviews I've read, the ColorBoost is up there as far as HD screens are concerned, and qHD screen technology hasn't kept up with HD anyways, so this will probably be about the best qHD screen out there.
13. Commentator (Posts: 3653; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Well at least it's the largest screen ever put on a slider, to my knowledge anyways. That's a good start. Maybe the Photon Q Maxx will have an HD display when it's released in 2 months.
17. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i don't think there'll be anymore "MAXX" versions as that pertains to Moto's Razr series but display resolution doesn't matter so much to me now. i'd LIKE a higher resolution display but it won't make or break a device for me.
20. Commentator (Posts: 3653; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I know, that was more of a joke than anything, although I am slightly disappointed by its 1750 mAh battery.
21. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 311; Member since: 03 May 2012)
so true, some things are nit picky stuff and the more you ask for, the more you're gonna have to pay...The atrix hd currently delivers in all areas including a low price range...hard to beat moto's standards
29. Ubi2447 (Posts: 131; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Not to mention that that whole incident has made any device with a Droid an automatic joke waiting to be said. Every time I hear someone crack a 'Na I'll wait until they release the Razr Ultima-super-maxx HD...Derp Derp Derp' joke I just want to bash my head in. That joke is so over done and blown so far out of proportion as though Moto has done this with every device it's made.
35. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
what for? this qHD is good enough. don't exaggerate so much 720p.
11. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Pretty much what my DROID 4 should have been. I would have loved to see that screen and processor in my phone.
18. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
What an odd claim..."what the droid4 should have been"
The S4 chip and probably even that display didn't even exist when the Droid4 was in development. That's like saying Ford's new 5 litre V8 is the engine their old 1932 Coupe should've had...
24. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
They could have at least put a 4.3" AMOLED screen in the DROID 4 with the on screen key's and ICS instead of the 4" TFT one. There were better chips at the time than the OMAP4430. Or they could have just waited a few months to release it with the upgraded hardware and software so DROID 3 owners wouldn't have felt as screwed.
25. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the OMAP4 was the best at the time that supported LTE. they were working on the Droid 4 since before ICS.
28. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Could they? Back then everywhere you looked it seemed like Samsung was having issues supplying enough AMOLED panels for the few customers it had at the time. COuld they even have dealt with the additional demand the D4 would've made?
Anyway the whole world isn't as in love with AMOLED as you are. Some people like their whites to actually be WHITE. Some like being able to see the screen outside, and like natural color reproduction etc. Similarly on-screen keys can bite me. Here you are clamoring retoractively for a 4.3" screen that would amount to prettymuch a 4" screen because those on screen keys are there. Whats the point?
There weren't any better chips, not the s4 and certainly not the Tegra2.
And no one in their right mind should be feeling screwed that their phone isn't top of the line after 6 months, these are electronics that's what happens when 6 months passes.
31. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i'm sorry but are you defending the Droid 4's Display, the only real bad thing about the device? xD it would've been better with an AMOLED display. if it did i'd have one today instead of a Razr.
32. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I disagree on it being bad, it has real advantages over amoled in my opinion. Brightness, accurate colors, whites that are WHITE and no heavy green or blue tinge. Yeah it's grainy and blacks aren't black but there's no other real disadvantages if you ask me.
At worst it's a wash between the two in my opinion.
34. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
as far as the difference in display types go there are trade offs but the Droid 4's display is washed out pretty badly.
36. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Well I'd have to examine that a little more closely when I get the chance, but I was speaking more along the lines of AMOLED vs RGBW LCDs in general.
38. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I can attest to that. I compared my DROID 4 to the RAZR at the Verizon store and it looks washed out. But I have to say it's not noticeable if you're not comparing it to another screen and it has a bluish tint whereas the RAZR has a yellowish tint.
39. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Yeah but that isn't really saying much. Everything looks washed out compared to an AMOLED display. Real issue is if its washed out compared to other lcds. Last time I saw the D4 up close was a few days after I got my bionic all those months aho, I didn't notice any difference but then again I wasn't really looking closely.
41. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you can look at the reviews for it. the display is really the only consistent knock against it. if it had a better display and a removable battery (which it really should have been) it would've been damn near perfect for me at the time.
42. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Oh trust me I've seen and read all the reviews, they aren't surprising or especially relevant when it came out at the peak of the anti-pentile hubub.
All I'm questioning is whether or not it's any worse than any of the other screens on other moto phones.
40. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, it's something you can get used to but i'd rather be used to AMOLED you know? the colors are nice and the contrasts are amazing. xD
45. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Yeah I agree, the RAZR's screen is superior to the DROID 4's.
47. cthunder (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Nov 2010)
They could have but it wasn't necessary. I love my Droid 4 as is. Well except for no ICS on it. Come on Motorola get your s**t together.
49. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I gave up and just went here:
51. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
oh this is the same .215 build i'm running on my Razr. well you should be set then because this is a little better than the OTA for the Razr. in fact this is the patch that is going out to the Razr that you might've heard a rumor or two about.
14. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
It's nice to see Motorola continue with the Circles widget. That's a sweet little piece of software. It looks good and has great functionality and information, in a compact package.
16. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 311; Member since: 03 May 2012)
other than sony motorla is my favorite company seriously....
27. Jyakotu (Posts: 844; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I am so glad Sprint has finally made this device official and if it becomes available before or around September, then I definitely know what to upgrade to. The Epic 4G was Sprint's only high end slider smartphone with a physical QWERTY keyboard. Since the device is EOL, the Photon Q 4G LTE is a great device to replace it. Again, thank you so much Sprint for this device. There is still a market for smartphones with physical QWERTY keyboards and not all of them have to be mid-ranged or low-end either.! :-D
30. andyboi_ph (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
a 4.3" slider. It looks solid and high end indeed! might consider this one.
33. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
wow...great...looks even better than droid 4.
if only I had this one. Great slider phone, at last.
48. cthunder (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Nov 2010)
How so? It's the same phone minus the new processor and .3 inch display.
37. darkkjedii (Posts: 19411; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Ugly, but the keyboard looks ok... Still ugly.
43. andrew1953 (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Nov 2011)
This is the sort of phone I want RIM to bring out in the BB10 range.
44. shnibz (Posts: 275; Member since: 18 Sep 2011)
Beautiful phone!!!......but enough with the qHD Motorola I mean really
46. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
It was smart of Motorola to make this a 4.3 inch display vs 4. The on screen menu keys take up about .3 of the screen so it won't be reduced down to 3.7 when you are web browsing, play games, etc. You will be able to enjoy the full, 4.3 screen with youtube however, which is nice.