Sprint buys spectrum and customers from U.S. Cellular
0. phoneArena 17 May 2013, 14:45 posted on
The nation's third largest carrier, Sprint, has agreed to purchase some PCS spectrum and a large number of customers from U.S. Cellular; Sprint will receive in the deal, 20MHz of PCS spectrum in various Midwest markets including Chicago, South Bend, Indiana and Champaign, Illinois. The carrier also will be adding 10MHz in St. Louis...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ZeroCide (Posts: 696; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Good move for sprint in Midwest. Hope they didn't pay to much for that.
4. a_merryman (Posts: 692; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
15 million for all of apple?! Damn that was a steal.
10. Daftama (Posts: 565; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Is what they have to pay apple just to sell apple products. ..and if sprint doesn't meet apple quote or the contract they signed they have to pay a fine I might be wrong in that part but 15mill is what they paid apple and still paying till 2015...so sprint sees no profit people purchasing apple products yet
13. ECPirate37 (Posts: 91; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
They paid $15.5 Billion over 4 years for apple. If they had paid $15million that would have been a steal.
17. Daftama (Posts: 565; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Lol you called it steal everybody else said the worse deal in history
26. Daftama (Posts: 565; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Stand corrected 15.5 billion so in 2015 they will be set free haha apples b#$@^
24. corporateJP (Posts: 1622; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
BIG difference between "million" and "billion"...
3. downphoenix (Posts: 2361; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
unfortunately this deal doesnt cover where I live, where Sprint's butt is kciked coverage wise.
5. CivicSi89 (Posts: 348; Member since: 23 Jul 2011)
People are pissed here in Champaign/Chicago. it kinda sucks.
6. JeffPom (unregistered)
Isn't this old news? or is it finally going through?
8. theBankRobber (Posts: 649; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
I took my wife to the cooperate sprint store located in Columbia MD and they had NO SERVICE. She was checking out some phones when I noticed none of the devices had 4G. I was like WTH?? Then after trying to load in web sites on different phones I noticed they are were on 3G. The guy there said they have to keep the devices on wifi because they dont get good service at the store...... A Cooperate Store...... what garbage, I just can't wait to my contract ends in October. Garbage speeds everywhere I go is not worth the $189 I spend for 2 lines.
11. Daftama (Posts: 565; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Don't worry they will see you after you pay 200+ with att or Verizon true at least you will have service but once sprint develop their network by 2920 hopefully they will see you lol
9. snowgator (Posts: 3262; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Miserable coverage for Sprint in Danville, IL, and no US Cellular service at all. Hurts not having choices. Hope this is okay for those being forced to choose.
Here is hoping that who ever gets controlling interest of Sprint, either Dish Net or Soft Bank, Sprint coverage increases and their speed improves.
12. Jodabro (Posts: 35; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
This is BS. I live in Wash State and have been a US Cellular customer for 12 years. There is a reason these customers choose US Cellular as their provider and not sprint. They had that option to choose Sprint and didn't so look for a lot of them to bail to another provider when the switch arrives. I fear that this may be the begining of the end of US Cellular, the Midwest was a huge portion of their customer base. Without them funding will eventually hinder advancements to all their users. Sad day when a big provider that offers great things to customers that others don't leaves the game. Free incoming texts, calls, MMS, and etc... Free battery swap... Good value on their plans... not good, this is just not good. Expect to hear more unhappy customers.
19. DANTExphone888 (Posts: 97; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
States like Washington and Wisconsin won't be affected because most of their customers are mostly settled in those state, and here in Milwaukee sprint coverage sucks so. USCC won't trade us away.
14. Libra1985 (Posts: 47; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
I'm sure they'll bid for the entire company down the road.
20. DANTExphone888 (Posts: 97; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
USCC to smart for that, if they do get bought out I hope it's by Verizon and that they call it alliance wireless.
22. corporateJP (Posts: 1622; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
There already was an "Alliance Wireless", and it died some years ago after multiple vultures picking apart the network. You might remember this company called "Alltel"?
21. corporateJP (Posts: 1622; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
So...does the White Sox ballpark naming rights come bundled with that deal? If USCC are giving away Chicago, "US CelIular Field" kind of makes no sense.