Spring chickens: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison preview
0. phoneArena 26 Feb 2014, 09:37 posted on
We can't help it but stage a fight between what will be the flagship handsets this spring season - Samsung's Galaxy S5, and the Sony Xperia Z2. Both sport 1080p displays, Snapdragon 801 processors, and high-resolution cameras, but thаt's where the similarities stop. Let's dive in, and stack the two Android monsters against each other...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingDingaLing (Posts: 324; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
This comment section is going to be fun to read later....let it begin.
142. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
looking forward to ifa. xperia z3 will fix on things they missed on xperia z2.
2. adjou (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 Jul 2010)
Before MWC 2014, most people on the xperia line: "Water resistance is useless, it's not like you are going to drop your phone in the toilet on purpose!! :S"
After MWC 2014, : "OMG, WATER RESISTANCE IS LIKE THE BEST THING EVER, MUST BUY GALAXY S5NOWWWW."
19. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Never heard that. Some people would rather skip waterproofing because it adds some bulk to the phone, that's it, its a great feature.
48. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
the same thing about the fingerprint scanner
138. Nexus_bear (Posts: 32; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
I agree. The fingerprint reader is nice. But its been done before. Besides Samsung's take on Biometry, the fingerprint scanner. Iris detection. Heart rate monitor are nice, but it truly sucks you in to Samsung's ecosystem and are 3points that are worthless if you add in custom Roms or want stock, if you want to wait for other implementation options other than Samsung's we have to wait for Google to bake it into their Google Mobile Services.
Nice phone Sammy. But you jumped the gun again. Now I hope Google doesnt half ass rush biometric I.D. code to their OS.
51. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9879; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Before MWC 2014: 2GB of RAM is enough on the phone. 3 is overkill.
After S5 announcement: HA! The S5 only has 2GB of RAM. The Z2 is obviously better since it has 3!
This is directly to the Sony fans who had a ball flooding the comment sections and poll yesterday.
60. akki20892 (Posts: 3798; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I would call perfect phablet. Better than their own company's flagship S5.
74. oister85 (Posts: 439; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
I agree with you, also in the memory the note 3 has 32gb of memory. The s5 comes with 16gb of memory.
143. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
are you paid by samsung? cus i would DEMAND samsung money if spent this much time online being fan of them and trashing every comment section.
Doing good job btw. ask for promotion and raise. :)
65. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
No it was not. With all the leak of the M8 being out people were say how the M8 was last year phone because of the S800 and 2 gig of Ram. But when Samsung has it, it is a great phone. Only fanboys talk like that.
76. Hyperreal (Posts: 168; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
before mwc: "I pay for the best specs thats why i choose samsung", after: "numbers mean sh*t, 2 gig is enough"...
80. kyobil (Posts: 4; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
wow... did you forgot when samsung released note 3 with 3GB ram and Z1 only 2 GB Ram, samsung fans flooding Z1 comment sections with "Only 2 GB Ram". and yet hoping S5 for 3GB ram..
i guess i can call it draw...
106. GTR722 (Posts: 253; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
SorryPapa, biggest Samsung fan here, the Z2 kills the S5 in every way: Better screen, more ram, bigger battery, better camera. Samsung era is over.
109. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9879; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Better screen? Have you demoed both phones? Nope.
More RAM? Yes, but if the S5 has better RAM than it did before, it's a welcomed change. It's running KitKat, so I'm not worried. Better camera is subjunctive since there hasn't been comparisons on the camera models. Samsung nails software, and that's Sony's downfall. From a pricing standpoint, both phones are equal, but the Z2 costs a lot more than the S5.
120. Astoni (Posts: 625; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Z2 might have great hardware, but Sony's downfall is software.. atleast on the camera side.
The Z2 will probably be better in everything except camera, if it sports the same camera that the z1 does..
128. Astoni (Posts: 625; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Both phones has already been priced in sweden and s5 is cheaper by 15%
148. TMach (Posts: 433; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Well, both have been priced in the UK and both will cost £599 Sim Free! QED
163. whitestang86 (Posts: 1; Member since: 29 Jul 2014)
You meant "subjective" not "subjunctive" -- that has to do with verb tense.
3. chocowii (Posts: 387; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Where is the physical camera button? If its water proof then how can you shoot pictures underwater if the physical camera button is missing? Samsung never learned from Xperia Z's mistake. Another disappointment.
8. TechFreak123 (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
You can set the volume buttons as shutter button.
18. chocowii (Posts: 387; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
You know you cant replace the physical camera button with the volume buttons. A button pressed half way sets the focus, you cant do that with volume buttons. Also knowing the Galaxy series, vol buttons serve as zoom buttons. I aint gonna install apps just to hot swap button functions.
43. buccob (Posts: 2162; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
No need for apps, the camera options include a setting for those buttons.. .you can set them to take pics, video or zoom...
Though I also prefer a dedicated shutter button...
I am actually excited to see how the S5 Mini will compared to the Z1 Compact....
46. vipervoid123 (Posts: 162; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Then u probably will disspointed Like S5 ~
Due to Samsung nvr put high-end spec in "mini" ver of flagship ~
100. buccob (Posts: 2162; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Fair enough, but then I will be even more exited to have a Z1 Compact and brag about it to people who get the S5 Mini then... hehehe
47. mokhtar (Posts: 392; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
did you read what he is saying ? the s5 is not waterproof he is not made to take it in pools and the beach , its only in the shower of water accidents , the z2 is waterproof
121. Astoni (Posts: 625; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
misleading.. You can use the z2 underwater yes but not in pools if they contain clorine or beaches if its saltwater
161. arif_49 (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Well Miss. Leading, this phone can take the amount of chlorine as you can. And if you are a diver, better your buy something else to take picture under sea.
162. sniper1087 (Posts: 471; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
completely disagree with your comment, I have used the Z1 on the beach, yes under salt water for longer than 30 minutes, so I know the Z2 would have the same effect, but the S5 I doubt it.
99. FoneAddict (Posts: 236; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
S5 looks like a cheap ugly toy to next to the Z2!
152. Adlanaufar (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Mar 2014)
I think samsung has not released the real galaxy s5
Galaxy s5 prime release about may or june
Maybe a better ram and processor
159. djinn (Posts: 8; Member since: 04 Mar 2014)
LOL, if that's true then it's a dic move by Samsung. Why would they sell a cheap-o model now without telling their fans they have a premium one coming?
110. jcdz89 (Posts: 78; Member since: 01 Mar 2013)
Never thought this would happen. Z2 live up to hype but s5 supposed to be the king, blow everything else. But s5 just a spec bump with uglier look.
139. phonejustice (Posts: 12; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Design = S5 < Z2
OS / Functionality = S5 > Z2
Please dont only looking on the bad side of phone. :)
140. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7043; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Z2 ALL THE WAYY!. Already have my Z1 still love it!
141. garyII (Posts: 160; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
with the s5 backcover curved to allocate the usb plug, looked like an old days phone with a battery over-charged until the backcover bumped up...lol
5. E.S.1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
It's irrelevant. The phone shouldn't be in water anyways and if someone keeps dropping them they probably shouldn't have one.
9. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
So you say that using smartphones in the rain should be forbidden? You know, not everybody lives in the Sahara...
10. KingDingaLing (Posts: 324; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
I think it's for those who like to be on their phones while dropping a deuce.
25. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Why shouldn't phones be in water exactly? I don't want waterproofing on my phone just so I can drop it a bunch, I want it there so if I do drop it in the water I'm covered, I could also use it in the water which is great.
88. galanoth07 (Posts: 44; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
FYI that's a useful feature. It allows the user to use it while taking a bath, can take photos underwater, etc.
6. draconic1991 (Posts: 183; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
according to the design language of samsung, s6 will have the same design and looks of note1
7. GMS85 (Posts: 164; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
There's no any comparison between the two to begin with Sony kills S5 in terms of everything! And that heart rate feature my grandmother can use itas she may rest in peace totally pointless!!! My vote goes out to Z2!
11. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
My granny can't use a smartphone anyways. She has hard time with the 3310 lol
14. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Hell yes, your granny can use the Nokia X like a boss. :)
12. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Xperia Z2 all the way! The Galaxy S5's design is screwed, unlike the Xperia Z2 which has an elegant design with attention to details. Also, the Z2 has 3GB of RAM while the S5 has only 2GB. The Z2 just beats the S5 in every way.
So, Xperia Z2 for me.
33. Klamba92 (Posts: 209; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
I agree the Z2 is the better buy IMO as well. However not because of the 3gb ram as the only thing that takes advantage of that are heavy intensive games. Which still are very bad gameplay wise. The z2 has the better design, waterproof, on screen keys higher mp camera (tests need to be done to see if better camera). Bigger battery hopefully one that lasts better as s4 had better battery life than z1 when I used it.
The s5 is a disappointment design wise. However its still a great device. And if the ultra saving mode works as advertised well than that would mean better battery life than z2.
So would you be saying the s5 was a fail if they had a new design but kept all other features?
44. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
No, I wouldn't. The only thing that the S5 failed at is the design, and it has 2GB of RAM instead of 3GB. So, if they did it right, many people will like it including me but sadly they failed this year.
89. Astoni (Posts: 625; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I would get why s5 would have 3gb since Multi-windows. but i don't get why z2 has 3gb of ram?. My z1 hasn't even used 80% of the ram at any time, even at "demanding" mobile game..
66. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Look at all your comment about the M8 only have 2 gig of ram and we know you are backtracking.
96. majp89 (Posts: 126; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
You and PapaSmurf have solidified yourselves as the biggest, brainwashed fanboys on this site, so I'm going to clear some things up here for the both of you.
I have had an SIII and now I have the Z1S. Both UIs suck, plain and simple. Touchwiz is the kindergarten classroom UI of them all, and Sony's UI is so poorly optimized that I feel like I went back in time when I use it. Samsung focuses on completely useless gimmicks, and Xperia focuses on design but completely forgets about ergonomics and usability.
Samsung phones are easier to type on, and they do not include that hypersensitive garbage touchscreen that Xperias use, which makes typing on them literally the most frustrating experience on any device I have ever used. However, Samsung's build quality feels like I'm handling a moss covered rock I found in the creek. The band aid grip that you all are loving to hate will address this issue, however.
Both phones have their flaws, yet brainwashed people on the internet will continue to buy them, so thus we are forced to rely on their same shortcomings, and have to sort through numerous responses by fanboys such as yourselves constantly bickering over mediocre devices. And there we have it. You guys can both delete your accounts now, no more input needed here.