Specs leak for the Sony Xperia Z2, code named Avatar
0. phoneArena 13 Sep 2013, 13:59 posted on
The Sony Xperia Z caused quite a ruckus at CES early this year, with its ability to be submerged in 3 feet of water for up to 30 minutes; the device is even available from a U.S. carrier, T-Mobile. Since then, we've seen the humungous Sony Xperia Z Ultra launched and the introduction of the Sony Xperia Z1, the first in a new line of "One Sony" camera-centric smartphones...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
what is good about that ? ( I am not troling just asking)
77. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
ok it is good but I cant decide to which phone to buy. z1 launched recently and now z2 on the way...
29. hboy857 (Posts: 331; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
The main advantage of IGZO tech is that it consumes less power for high-res displays and it also has higher sensitivity on touchscreens, with far less noise to contend with.
68. taikucing (unregistered)
the good thing is that it will put retina display to shame.
wait, today's 440 PPI has already put retina display to shame.
69. sapibuntinx (Posts: 55; Member since: 08 May 2013)
I hope a thin bezel like G2, same 5.2" or fail sony again
17. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1127; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
but isn't this too early to announce another flagship phone ??? And 500ppi ??? So what would be the resolution???
500ppi igzo triluminous display
my personal addition:
less bezel than current z1
finger print scanner (just to keep the trend)
a new design may be.
25. akki20892 (Posts: 3773; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I guess this phone is perfect for troll.
35. Commentator (Posts: 2792; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Nah, TROLL would spit on it because of the Snapdragon 800 inside.
57. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Well said Commentator®
GOD I hate, really hate halfbaked products! Especially Snapd®agon™
Pure A15 clusters
58. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
No no no akki®
It's still using Snapd®agon™
The specs is great, but still let down by Adreno330. If only Sony used Adreno330 MP6 6X GPU, PvrSgx544X6 MP6 would be superb.
32. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Doesn't the z1 have OIS already? I have only one more thing to add, wireless charging.
I think the actual design of the Xperia Z line is probably one of the prettiest on the market, only a few moderate tweaks are needed I think. Most of which would come in the form of tiny bezels. I think they should pick a different ui experience, the circular icons just look dumb to me.
36. tyger11 (Posts: 95; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
No, the Z1 doesn't have OIS, sadly. That and the lack of Xenon flash were the big camera-related disappointments for me about it. I might still get it, or I might get the Nexus 5, which is now rumored to have OIS. But it has no microSD. Argh!
38. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I'm probably going to get the Nexus 5 if I can get it off-contract on Sprint. I will be happy so long as Google at least comes out with a 32GB model, that and using google music with unlimited data will be able to handle anything I throw at it. Though I really think that all flagship phones should be coming with a minimum of 32 GB in 2013 thanks to apps and photo/movie/song files getting bigger.
56. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
O for GOD sake not another A9-A15 CPU
Why not A15s, Tegra4, Omap5, NovaThor®
84. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Not early, the XZ was announced in CES 13.
And given that the leaks for this are starting now, this may be announced at the CES 14 too-gap of one year.
28. akki20892 (Posts: 3773; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Sony u guys r confusing us to get which phone.....lol. let's wait and see. I just need in at&t soon.
34. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I've been waiting for a phone to come with an IGZO display, I thought apple would release the 5S with it....but it would seem I was wrong :/
But an IGZO triluminuous display? I bet that would look amazing. And paired with that massive battery, it should sip power and easily last a full day of heavy use without losing power.
3. picassimo (Posts: 14; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)
Yummy... but for now, make the Z1 available for all carriers here in the US. At least T-Mobile....
6. Feanor (Posts: 449; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Hard to believe this rumour. Until now Sony had some catching up to do and thus they were releasing two flagships per year. Now that the Z1 is up there with the competition, I think Sony can save some development costs and delay next flagship until earliest when Galaxy S5 comes to the market. Let alone that replacing important models so soon pisses off the owners of the previous models and devalues their flagships.
7. MauriceGerald (Posts: 18; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
S**T. I was thinking to get Z1, it is fantastic phone but now there will be better one in January. I am quite confused what to do, wait or not.
31. MauriceGerald (Posts: 18; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
1. Design, especially details. It is very sexy For me smartphone is not just gadget but it is also accessory. Like bracelets, watch, or ring.
2. Premium materials. Feels very "rich"
Only minus point can be bezel but you never get perfect product, there is always something to improve.
Sorry for my English:(
82. Aaron_R96 (Posts: 198; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)
Remember that although this will probably be showcased in January, we'll have to wait until at least March before its officially released!
8. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1552; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
This is a killer phone,Will be making galaxy s5 to sit in the corner...in 2014.
13. cjtaxi (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
lol wut??z1 isnt even come to the market yet and there's another new phone?mindblown
14. Yeahman (Posts: 34; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
When you trace this leak to the original source - a rumor thread on esato - the insider guy says the Z2 has a 1080p display - that gives you about 424 ppi at 5.2", not 500+
15. -Shadow- (Posts: 32; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Which is more than enough. I don't see the reason to increase ppi when is already on a level that our eye cant see the difference
52. SonyPS4 (Posts: 301; Member since: 21 May 2013)
I dont care about ppi but i want IGZO display. it consume less power.
16. pradeepreddy (Posts: 58; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
AVATAR, does it work in HUMAN HANDS
19. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1590; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Hoping the pixel density is over 440 ppi on the final product. Take my money.
85. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Don't you read? And there;s just no way Sony will have anything below that-mainly for marketing reasons.
22. JMartin22 (Posts: 1569; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
The Xperia Z was released earlier this year, then they release the Xperia Z Ultra in less than a year; granted, it was their attempt at a phablet, but a week and a half prior to that, they announce the Xperia Z1, and now we're already hear rumours about the Z2
I wouldn't buy a Sony phone unless they get their product portfolio to look a bit more cohesive. Flagship should mean flagship, not "subship" we'll be hearing about upcoming Xperia phone from Sony in just 5 months I bet.
23. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1063; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
This is why I respect Samsung. The S3 is going to be relevant for another year. Meanwhile the Z is already forgotten and the Z1 already has a replacement leaking. Sony is still playing by 2010 rules. Release as many phones as you can and screw the old ones (I. E. Sony Ion & Sony T/L, and any other from 2012).
37. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Hahaha... what are you talking about??? do you know how many devices that samsung has released this year?
Samsung 48 devices VS Sony 13 devices
40. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1063; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Ok I'll give you that. But Samsung stands by their flagship; Sony does not. And Samsung only has one true flagship a year, not counting the Note while Sony has ~3.
44. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
S4 S600/Octa version
and the upcoming
S4 Active S800
From what i know at least samsung has 4 flagship this year
83. amats69 (Posts: 1222; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Dude you forgot the ugly s4 zoom.lol..peace! Just kidding anyway..but what i said about "ugly" is true.hahaha
46. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Let me ask you something wich one is the true flagship from Samsung?
S4 S600/Octa, S4 Active, S4 S800, S4 Active S800 or Note 3.
This year Sony only has 1 true flagship “Xperia Z1”
48. JMartin22 (Posts: 1569; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
The S4 SD 600/Octa 5410 are the flagships.
The others are just niche fillers, not replacements.
The SD 800 S4 is meant to take advantage of the limited proliferability of LTE-A in the world. It serves no other hands-on purpose than that in South Korea.
The S4 Active just caters to athletic users or users that work in certain types of environments where dust and moister is prevalent. No way does it overshadow the S4 SD 600/Octa 5410, as there are trade-offs and risks to this model. The SD 800 S4 Active is the same case scenario above, if that turns out to be true.
As for the Note 3, that's not comparable really. The Note is aimed at a different kind of demographic.
The Sony Xperia line of phones just... releases phones just to release phones; with the intent of overshadowing the other in a very short period of time.
Say what you will about Samsung, but they're giving you choices on how you want your flagship presented to you, as opposed to Sony, which is just giving you a new flagship.
55. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I really want to know what you’re gonna say when S4 S800 is sold outside south korea, because according to this article S4 S800 will not only for South korea.
And from what i know Note 3 is already overshadow the S4.
There is big difference between choices and flooding the market.
64. JMartin22 (Posts: 1569; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
The Galaxy S4 Zoom, Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy S4 Mini and LTE-A variant aren't considered flagship devices, there is no moral obligatory need to upgrade, or switch to any of these devices, as Samsung is just throwing commercial concepts at a wall to see what will cater to a niche market.
As for the SD 800 variant, the only thing different about the phone is the GPU, your country, or part of the country isn't likely to roll out LTE-A for a few more years, in which case, the S4 will be highly irrelevant.
Also, with the way Samsung has optimized its TouchWiz UX software on the S4, there's likely no difference in performance on the device. The hardware is only as good as the software optimized to it. So I don't feel like I'm losing out with my SD 600 variant, neither should anyone else.
70. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Hahaha... Just stop your BS, and stop defending your beloved company like mindless fanboy.
Hey i’m not talking about those crappy phones.
its all about flagship
(Flagship = a phones with the best specs and features)
Say whatever you want, but you can’t deny the fact that this year samsung has many flagship and they flooding the market.
81. Ronny666 (Posts: 108; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
You must be a new kid over here. Samsung had many flagship variants since the first Galaxy S. It's nothing new. Sony is using the same success formula as Samsung but just undecided when to release flagship devices.
86. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
The flagship is the S4(the versions are region dependent, so excluding few countries like Singapore most have just one-usually the SD600)
S4 active is just a niche device, which happens to be high specced to compete with Sony.
Btw, Sony had announced the XZ only this year, and that was meant to be their flagship, but because of pressure from better specced rivals like S4 and One, they released a new flagship, the Z1.
Note series is marketed seperately by Samsung, its never their flagship phone.
Sony are just repeating the mistake HTC did last year. Thankfully, HTC realised that and announced that the One is going to be their flagship throughout the year(the Maxx will be again like the Note, a seperate category).