Source: Nokia seeks ban on HTC 8X?
0. phoneArena 24 Sep 2012, 21:39 posted on
A report says that Nokia is going to be taking HTC to court claiming that the latter's two Windows Phone 8 handsets that have been introduced, copy the look and design of the Finnish based firm's own pair of recently introduced Windows Phone 8 handsets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Waffleny (Posts: 11; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
I think this is quite silly. Of course all windows phones are going to look very similar. We shouldn't be fighting our allies over it though. I hope nothing comes of this because I look forward to seeing both handsets become successful
13. -box- (Posts: 3931; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Well... That escalated quickly!
That said, there were so many comments about the HTC 8X being Lumia-esque and the 8S being Sony-esque, I'm not surprised. All are appealing designs, and the 8X in blue, especially in the press shots showing that curved pillow-like edge (one of the most common descriptions of the N9 and Lumia 800 at launch) I find very appealing, but after my experiences with the T-Mobile G2 (aka HTC Desire Z) and HTC Sensation, I wouldn't again put my own money towards one, when that money could instead ho to the superior Nokia. Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery, but I don't see the 8X very Lumia-esque, less so than the apple ipod little. Hence, I'm not sure it's worthwhile for Nokia to pursue it, IF indeed the rumors are true, especially as the zWP8 OEMs should be reasonably supportive of others who are promoting the platform.
15. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
its really silly! but nokia wanted to differenciate itself by its colorful lumias! and we all know that HTC's phones are all black and white!
so i guess nokia just want to protect its design! and besides they are granted by these dress code of its lumia!
93. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Wow that's even worse than Apple! Colors cannot be patented. That is silliness to the highest degree! And HTC has used other colors before, like red and plum.
22. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
really? nokia? i thought you would never pull the apple card
24. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
well playing safe is good in business! and besides, they somehow have a reason to sue them coz these new HTC really looks like a lumia!
but if i were HTC, i should go to the design of oneX! its really good looking! and dont ressemble to a lumia! but same polycarebonate body!
57. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
not to mention, HTC make Windows Mobile/Phones before nokia! so by the looks of it HTC is bored by its own design and copy nokia's joyful colors and design!
94. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Copy colors? REALLY???
And the 8X actually has a california blue. The Lumia 920 doesn't have any blue variant at all.
64. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3062; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I'm still bugged Nokia had to do this! I know it's business and stuff but...this is sad!!
69. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
you cant blame nokia. they put everything on the line for WP. they need every chance to be back on top...im also bugged.but its just bad timing because they are in a critical state now.
95. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
So they are gonna sue their way back on top? That's the tactic of a small-time troll, or if they feel threatened. If they were so confident in what they created, why are they suing? HTC has never been a big seller of Windows Phones and the design of the 8X is clearly based off of the One X. You cannot patent colors, or round square fronts with generic Windows buttons that every manufacturer must adhere to.
102. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
did they start suing already? don't assume yet that they will sue.
82. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6874; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
of course they would. now they say "YOU CAN'T COPY OUR COLORS". Color phones aren't PATENTED
114. buggerrer (Posts: 292; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
Nokia is not the company you used to know, 2011 was the year the real Nokia faded.
35. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5975; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
War of the ankle-biters. Nokia and HTC should be focused on driving sales. Otherwise they run the risk of dominating a universe of nothing. Apple and Sammy didn't start their fight until the market value of the segment they play in was north of $10 billion/year. The WP7/8 universe is worth what, $10 million/year at present?
62. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
HTC should have slapped wp8 on a HTC One X body .
8X and 8S is not as good as the rumourd elation though
63. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I thought Nokia was better than this. They better not sue anyone for this, or I may change my mind about wanting a Lumia...
76. Altair (Posts: 362; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
What else we can expect from an android troll? Other than support copycats and thiefs? You guys are so used to it,that it doesnt matter.
96. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Oh wow now I've seen everything. A Nokia fanboy attacking an alleged Android troll. Wasn't Apple suppose to be the universal enemy? You guys have to combine forces ya know!
103. Altair (Posts: 362; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
I dont like the new iPhone 5 as it doesnt offer anything really new. It is just enchanced ip4. Atleast I respect Apple for its own design and some innovations. I own the new iPad and love it. No I dont hate Apple.
HTC & Samsung are nothing but cheap copycats. old sammy even admits it. Android itself is "a stolen product".
2. vvelez5 (Posts: 623; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
This definitely wouldn't help Microsoft but Nokia does have the right to protect their designs. I can tell the difference between the two but there is a resemblance
32. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5146; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Microsoft makes more money off licensing their patents for Android than they do off their own Windows phone line. Nokia shouldn't really be concerned with HTC selling more since both more than likely will not be big sellers anyway.
Both are wasting money with silly lawsuit that they could be spending trying to advertise Windows Phone 8 and getting their phones to sell.
41. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2209; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
But you always say if they copy they should be punished. But now it's okay? That's mighty hippocrytical.
66. matrix_neo (Posts: 326; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Maybe but your comments obviously it was.
97. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
This is the internet. Hypocrisy is like the milk from a mother's teet!
And you spelled hypocritical wrong! /spelling troll
51. mobileharan (Posts: 18; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
But both phones launched almost at the same time .. So how can this be a copy !!!
3. AeroPrime (Posts: 173; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Actually most of my friends said that 8X looks like 820 but didn't think it will become a lawsuit.
6. Yummy (Posts: 117; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
More conflict. Tsk tsk tsk... Pass the popcorn.
7. whencatsruletheworld (Posts: 16; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
What makes WP8 so special is the fact that both the hardware and software matches. Yes, agree with Waffleny (comment 1). This lawsuit is going to be silly. Its like Apple and Samsung all over again. Nokia also have to think that not all WP8 consumers are looking at Nokia. Some may want better speakers and sound. They might look at HTC 8X with Beats Audio instead.
Also, Microsoft is really depending on their OEMs to make sure that Windows Phone 8 is a success. I highly think that WP8 have lots of potential. But now, these companies are fighting over similar looking phones. Im an Android user thats already getting ready to move to WP8 family. But if choices restrict myself, then i have to stay with Android.
And all these bashing tweets by Nokia is getting too childish. Compete by promoting your product. Not by bashing competition.
8. gwhyte01 (Posts: 44; Member since: 09 Jul 2008)
This started as a rumor, and here its a fact. And the source is wmpoweruser.
9. traccer055 (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Sep 2009)
the 8X looks like it is inline with the one series.
11. wendygarett (unregistered)
Why don't you seek ban on ipod nano!!!
which the design is more 'rectangular' than 8x lol
20. wendygarett (unregistered)
you know what? bannes the HTC product may help increase nokia sales but not windows phone as whole...
Because most HTC user ( android fan) who want to switch to windows phone they will definitely pick back the HTC...
No wp for HTC?? oh well... JELLYBEAN FTW!!!
18. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)
Because the iPod nano is not a phone.
26. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i was about to say that! but i think deep... before, when the lumia and N9 arrive, some people think that its a phone version of the iPod nano!
but these new nano really ressemble to the lumia phones!
but i dont think nokia will sue them coz its not a phone!
16. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Stupid crap. ... good most of these j3rks aren't making TV.
17. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Just what wp need, a f**king NokApple! WP is struggling and here it is. Make it even worse. Lets infight while Apple garnish more money. And Android continues to dominate. Stupid Nokia!!!
25. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Nokia copying apple in suing over "LOOK" so now Apple should sue Nokia for copying :)
47. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Sue Nokia for suing, Because Apple patent suing. Lolzz
19. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
mmm I don't really think HTC deliberately copied Nokia...but it is kinda hard to not go there. I mean HTC's previous WP designs looked like nothing like the 8X and 8S, I mean going from the Titan II to the 8X? Thats a pretty stark change.At the same time, the design itself seems, to me at least, too basic to be original even to Nokia.
And two weeks really isn't enough time to design the outer shell of a device like this because they'd still have to repackage the internals to get everything to work properly. Maybe if Nokia feels like their design could be copied so easily they should've come up with a more intricate design in the firstplace.
21. remtothemax (Posts: 243; Member since: 02 May 2012)
hey nokia, here's an idea
why don't you try releasing some phones first
like, maybe on verizon?
before you start whining about problems
also, didn't htc say that they worked closely with microsoft and that they had design restrictions put in place by microsoft?
shouldn't microsoft sort of step in here and mediate?
especially since they worked closely with nokia via elop to design the nokia phones
...and work closely with htc to design their phones
it kind of would be like if apple sued samsung for the sg after helping them design it
23. Samsomesh (Posts: 180; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
Actually 8x looks similar to lumia.!! Agreed.!
38. ngo2dd (Posts: 849; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
No look at any hands on and you will see it look nothing a like.
27. phil2n (Posts: 478; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
nokia will not sue HTC instead they will warn it..
did you remember nokia warned samsung bec. of IP..
Nokia is not Idevil
28. Glim12808 (Posts: 393; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Of course this is still just unconfirmed rumor at this point but if it's accurate, then it's a sad day for Windows Phone 8:-(
29. Sniggly (Posts: 7220; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Doesn't Microsoft require similar design cues on all of its handsets?
Granted, the multiple color bit is pretty similar, but whatever. Nokia is just sounding like a wounded, desperate animal here.
49. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4144; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I don't believe so, Samsung has always made its WP handsets look different from what HTC and Nokia offered. And HTC's WP devices last year differentiated themselves from Nokia and Samsung as well, I don't know what happened this year.
They both have that uni-body polycarbonate design, and both are in a variety of colors as well. It seems as though HTC is at fault here, they went from their classic metal/plastic designs with only black and white colors from last year, and now suddenly they're using the sort of colorful polycarbonate uni-body design that the Lumia 900 was known for.
It would have been alright if HTC used more curves, like One X style, but they used the kind of blocky design that the Lumia 900 had.
91. ngo2dd (Posts: 849; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
the only think the same is the they both have different color. HTC been making uni-body design way before the Lumia 900 came out. The HTC legand, Evo design 4g and the Rmyne has a uni-body design.
99. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4144; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I know very well HTC had uni-body designs. But they always had curves, and the Lumia 900 was more blocky. That's why I said, if they were to use more curves, like the One X, then it would be alright. But instead they used the same blocky uni-body design as the Lumia instead of their trademark rounded metal/polycarbonate uni-body construction.
31. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 871; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Dear oh dear, fighting within the eco system? Interesting :)
Seems WP and its OEMs will just self implode.
34. TheRetroReplay (Posts: 248; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Are phone manufacturers so stupid that they can't figure out that there's only one way to make a rectangle?
"Nokia is said to feel strongly that the front face of the HTC 8X looks like the front of the Nokia Lumia 820" - It's Windows 8 you morons it's only going to look one way.
37. Bernoulli (Posts: 2006; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Just posted so everybody can see my avatar ;) Android ftw!!
86. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
well go say that crap on android articles
89. Bernoulli (Posts: 2006; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Don't be a sore loser, despite what elop has done I still like Nokia and respect windows, stfu