Sorry, folks, Galaxy S7's always-on display feature might not be coming to older Galaxy phones
2. manojmcn (Posts: 544; Member since: 16 Jul 2015)
Leave Always On Display, we are not expecting even Mashmallow to be available for older Galaxies. There should be someway to get the Sammy team to court for breach of promise. The Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 just had one update and is sitting on that for last 1.5 years, still on 4.4.2 Kitkat.
37. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
Sounds like its your own fault. Don't you knwo how to update the device OTA?
55. xfire99 (Posts: 834; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Samsung didn't push update to all Note 2014 and only few regions got 5.1.1 update. I had to flash SM-P605 HK firmware to NEE to get 5.1.1 firmware. So it's Samsungs fault to not let all regions get 5.1 update.
3. neops (Posts: 287; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
Also S7 64gb version not coming. "32GB variants of both S7 and S7 edge are said to have higher profit margins than their 64GB equivalents" http://tinyurl.com/z4xt4zc
4. HugoBarraCyanogenmod (Posts: 1133; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)
Sorry phonearena, hardcore Samsung fanboy will defend and gonna flood into At&T VZW sprint store, as well as Vodafone, SK telecom, just to get this more of the same device.
If always on display available on GS6, fanboy might mistook it as GS7 since both design look the same
20. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
Xda is there to help, custom Roms.
How you meant to tell the difference between the S7E and S6E. ? Less chamfered?
45. natypes (Posts: 1093; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
I assume by your screen name that you an Android guy. Why do you care what Android we buy? Be together, not same.
7. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
We just need to extract the apk, change permissions to 755 and put it in system apps folder. Now we need a root for S7 and a volunteer.
Samsung can go to hell. I'm getting this feature on my S6.
8. shaineql (Posts: 357; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Yes , ofc , XDA is there , but they cant push this to other flagships just like that , im sure S7 display is more efficient than S6 or N5 to support this.
12. Ordinary (Posts: 2318; Member since: 23 Apr 2015)
That might be true but Always On feature mostly display only blacks so it could be very efficient even on S5.
25. shaineql (Posts: 357; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Well this idea didnt just pop into sammys head , they tried it with S6 Edge/+ as Night clock and Information stream, but by default it was on only during night , you could go on the limb and extend it , but the fact that they didnt should mean something.
46. natypes (Posts: 1093; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
There is also the wave gesture on the S4 where you get that screen if you wave your hand across the display.
24. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
I probably will switch to unikernel once it starts supporting Touchwiz on 6.0, unless Samsung does something crazy to the battery life and performance on marshmallow.
29. Norris (Posts: 121; Member since: 26 Jun 2015)
Can't it be directly extracted from Stock ROM?
31. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
That's what I'm saying.
9. .KRATOS. (Posts: 317; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Well that's what I hate about Samsung, they even haven't pushed the 6.0.1 for the S6 how about this now
13. Neros (Posts: 1016; Member since: 19 Dec 2014)
Well that's pretty typical of samsung. Once new feature comes out, they rarely introduce it in the older models. If it was an iphone, we would have this feature before ip7 went on sale.
34. Neros (Posts: 1016; Member since: 19 Dec 2014)
Lol, no. New ios is ready for download before a new iphone goes on sale. Of course you can't add features that require essential hardware like 3D touch.
41. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
So why didnt they add slpitscreen to older iPad's or the iPhoen 6 Plus?
That's a software feature that any iPad or the iPhone 6 plus can do.
Oh and why didnt Siri come to the iPhone 4, that was software implemented too.
Yeah, see how much of a lying Apple fanboy loser you all are? Such lying hypocrites.
56. ihearlivepplz (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Jul 2015)
Exactly. And that isn't even half of it.
54. j2001m (Posts: 2943; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
The s6 tw that being updated now if you sim free is the same as the s7, Samsung is not offering the always on deploy as the battery crap on the s6
47. natypes (Posts: 1093; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
Time to stop posting and get some rest. You're delusional.
15. srattan (Posts: 3; Member since: 23 Oct 2014)
Nothing new here. Shamesung is famous for ditching its customers like that only. My Note4 is still awaiting 5.1.1, so how can I expect anything more :-(
26. benno (Posts: 94; Member since: 17 Apr 2015)
Next these scumbags will announce they aren't making the SD card slot backwards compatible with my s6. I swear this is the last Samsung phone I buy if they do :(
30. JumpinJackROMFlash (Posts: 450; Member since: 10 Dec 2014)
How would that be technically possible?
48. natypes (Posts: 1093; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
By injecting sarcasm to ridicule whiny babies.
42. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
Your Note 4 is still waiting for 5.1.1? Talk to your carrier. Its available.
50. srattan (Posts: 3; Member since: 23 Oct 2014)
Nah, it is unlocked, n910g, Indian version and none has been upgraded to 5.1.1.
I even sent an email to Samsung and got no reply.
57. ihearlivepplz (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Jul 2015)
Download official AU ROM from Sammobiles website and flash with ODIN. Warranty will not be void cause official ROM.
16. JoshuaDK (Posts: 16; Member since: 08 May 2014)
Is there a big difference between Always-On on the S7 and the Night Clock on the Edge and Edge+
43. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
I would say...yes.Because the edge display is smaller than the full sized display. In order to have such a feature, you need a more efficient display since the S7 display is larger than the edge display but itself.
If Samsung made this available on the S6 and it drained the battery, then the fools would be complaining about why they made a feature that doesn't work properly available on an older model.
Now they arent making ti available and the clones are still complaining.
This tech wannabes drive me nuts being so stupid.They dont think like a techie, they think like some rich kid who didnt get everything they wanted, but still got more than enough.
22. Zomer (Posts: 271; Member since: 31 May 2013)
It could be a combination between software and hardware. If the drivers of the display don't support this feature it will probably not work.
33. joey18 (Posts: 589; Member since: 20 Jul 2010)
Most people will past this phone bcs I don't see any changes for me s6 one more year on my hands
35. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10115; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want such a useless feature. It's pointless at best. if I want to see the time or my notifications, I can do so in a manner where this feature though handy, just isn't needed.
When we go to meetings, everyone brings a phone because they still need to answer calls. Its not an issue with our company like it may be with others. We don't have serious stockholder-like meetings.
49. natypes (Posts: 1093; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
They usually don't at best buy geek squad
58. jeevanand88 (unregistered)
This again proves that we shouldn't go behind this Samsung phones. Eventho s6 edge has its 12hrs always on display it won't b comin as full featured as s7... new phone releases the previous yr phones will b dumped...!!! One can't upgrade mob phones every yr wen it launches... they degraded their megapixals and saying d reason as it will gather more light things lik that... wen its best are they gonna keep the same camera wat its best now?? They r going to upgarde the camera frm 12 to 16 again in next yr... are they gonna say d same reason once again in 2017?no... this s how they show the improvements yr by yr...