Sorry, folks, Galaxy S7's always-on display feature might not be coming to older Galaxy phones
19. Bm888 (Posts: 390; Member since: 06 Jul 2015)
Samsung always wary of pushing new features to older devices because they fear people wouldn't upgrade if they had features of new flagships on older flagships *typical Samsung thinking
36. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8371; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
It appears every OEM does this at some point. After all what OEM is the king of such?
Also, wouldn't this feature requires a better display, that isn't going to drain power trying to do the same?
51. j2001m (Posts: 2789; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Yes, but the tw apart from that is the same as the updated ver on the s6
This will be linked to hardware and battery only
I.e. The s7 got a very big battery, hm not the s6
44. NexusX (Posts: 482; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Samsung phones are ridiculously overpriced for what they can do.
the s7 does the same thing as every other $300 android phones.
$700 is more than what apple is asking for for their entry level iphones. the marginally better hardware does not justify the premium over any $300 android phones.
i will never buy a samsung over a nexus or iphone.
you have no need to root your phone with iphone or nexus to remove bloatware
you'd never have to run a custom rom, potentially exposing yourself to security backdoor to get rid of laggy touchwiz. i will never use mobile payment or mobile banking on a rooted phone on a custom rom
iphone and nexus have google and apple engineers working around the clock to fix bugs and provide patches.
it's not in samsung's best interest to update your phones timely as they only want to sell you the latest and most expensive phones. when they do update, they do it halfassedly by crippling your phone with only half of the new features available on their new flagships.
google wants to lock you into their ecosystem so their best interest lies in providing you the best software experience. you'd be sure to get the latest features from google.
unlike iphone and nexus, Samsung made different models for CDMA and GSM carriers in North America even though customers are increasingly paying full prices for their flagship devices.
i think they intentionally did this for the carriers so they will aggressive push/market samsung devices while keeping their customers locked down to specific carrier.
Google and Apple made all their devices universally compatible with all carriers (CDMA and GSM alike)
you'd never have to worry about carrier compatibility with iphone or nexus as long as they are unlocked, which is important because carriers no longer subsidize their devices and there are many cheap and free MVNOs.
If you value consumer choices, buy a nexus or iphone.
if you want the latest tech but on a budget, buy a nexus, if you want premium, buy an iphone.
2. manojmcn (Posts: 400; Member since: 16 Jul 2015)
Leave Always On Display, we are not expecting even Mashmallow to be available for older Galaxies. There should be someway to get the Sammy team to court for breach of promise. The Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 just had one update and is sitting on that for last 1.5 years, still on 4.4.2 Kitkat.
37. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8371; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
Sounds like its your own fault. Don't you knwo how to update the device OTA?
55. xfire99 (Posts: 792; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Samsung didn't push update to all Note 2014 and only few regions got 5.1.1 update. I had to flash SM-P605 HK firmware to NEE to get 5.1.1 firmware. So it's Samsungs fault to not let all regions get 5.1 update.
3. neops (Posts: 285; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
Also S7 64gb version not coming. "32GB variants of both S7 and S7 edge are said to have higher profit margins than their 64GB equivalents" http://tinyurl.com/z4xt4zc
5. someone12 (Posts: 177; Member since: 28 Aug 2015)
Wtf you want? You have a micro SD slot and also you can install apps on the SD card on marshmallow
11. sumpil (Posts: 42; Member since: 02 Feb 2016)
I know right, some people just want everything. if they really want every thing they should produce their own phones and see how hard it is.
14. Neros (Posts: 1016; Member since: 19 Dec 2014)
Micro sd cards are much slower than internal storage.
17. Ordinary (Posts: 2177; Member since: 23 Apr 2015)
Not if you use UHS-3. Even UHS-1 is more than enough.
40. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8371; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
SO! ITS FOR STORAGE STUPID!!! How fast does it need to be?
53. j2001m (Posts: 2789; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
But a Samsung pro + sd card it's upto 4K spec, you not going to find any problems, only if you use cheap cards
Samsung have also speed up the sd card speed in the phone to keep up with the ufs, using ram on the phone or something like that
23. Dynamac (Posts: 23; Member since: 01 Dec 2012)
But increasingly external don't work the same as internal storage on android. Many steaming downloads such as Amazon Video or BBC Iplayer don't allow shows to download to external sd, so you will face increasing limitations. S7 therefore is not future proof if they don't allow adoptable storage.
39. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8371; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
Well even with an sdcard slot, the phone should be 64GB. They dont need to have a 32GB or 128GB model. Just make them all 64B and make the Note 64/128.
52. j2001m (Posts: 2789; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Just buy a Samsung pro+ sd card they are super fast and you have no slow down, why by the 64 ver at a higher cost when. They now offer the sd card that you can just use for images
4. HugoBarraCyanogenmod (Posts: 1010; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)
Sorry phonearena, hardcore Samsung fanboy will defend and gonna flood into At&T VZW sprint store, as well as Vodafone, SK telecom, just to get this more of the same device.
If always on display available on GS6, fanboy might mistook it as GS7 since both design look the same
20. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
Xda is there to help, custom Roms.
How you meant to tell the difference between the S7E and S6E. ? Less chamfered?
45. natypes (Posts: 1079; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
I assume by your screen name that you an Android guy. Why do you care what Android we buy? Be together, not same.
7. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
We just need to extract the apk, change permissions to 755 and put it in system apps folder. Now we need a root for S7 and a volunteer.
Samsung can go to hell. I'm getting this feature on my S6.
8. shaineql (Posts: 344; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Yes , ofc , XDA is there , but they cant push this to other flagships just like that , im sure S7 display is more efficient than S6 or N5 to support this.
12. Ordinary (Posts: 2177; Member since: 23 Apr 2015)
That might be true but Always On feature mostly display only blacks so it could be very efficient even on S5.
25. shaineql (Posts: 344; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Well this idea didnt just pop into sammys head , they tried it with S6 Edge/+ as Night clock and Information stream, but by default it was on only during night , you could go on the limb and extend it , but the fact that they didnt should mean something.
46. natypes (Posts: 1079; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
There is also the wave gesture on the S4 where you get that screen if you wave your hand across the display.
24. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
I probably will switch to unikernel once it starts supporting Touchwiz on 6.0, unless Samsung does something crazy to the battery life and performance on marshmallow.
29. Norris (Posts: 121; Member since: 26 Jun 2015)
Can't it be directly extracted from Stock ROM?
31. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
That's what I'm saying.
9. .KRATOS. (Posts: 307; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Well that's what I hate about Samsung, they even haven't pushed the 6.0.1 for the S6 how about this now
13. Neros (Posts: 1016; Member since: 19 Dec 2014)
Well that's pretty typical of samsung. Once new feature comes out, they rarely introduce it in the older models. If it was an iphone, we would have this feature before ip7 went on sale.
34. Neros (Posts: 1016; Member since: 19 Dec 2014)
Lol, no. New ios is ready for download before a new iphone goes on sale. Of course you can't add features that require essential hardware like 3D touch.
41. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8371; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
So why didnt they add slpitscreen to older iPad's or the iPhoen 6 Plus?
That's a software feature that any iPad or the iPhone 6 plus can do.
Oh and why didnt Siri come to the iPhone 4, that was software implemented too.
Yeah, see how much of a lying Apple fanboy loser you all are? Such lying hypocrites.
56. ihearlivepplz (Posts: 77; Member since: 06 Jul 2015)
Exactly. And that isn't even half of it.
54. j2001m (Posts: 2789; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
The s6 tw that being updated now if you sim free is the same as the s7, Samsung is not offering the always on deploy as the battery crap on the s6
47. natypes (Posts: 1079; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
Time to stop posting and get some rest. You're delusional.
15. srattan (Posts: 3; Member since: 23 Oct 2014)
Nothing new here. Shamesung is famous for ditching its customers like that only. My Note4 is still awaiting 5.1.1, so how can I expect anything more :-(
26. benno (Posts: 94; Member since: 17 Apr 2015)
Next these scumbags will announce they aren't making the SD card slot backwards compatible with my s6. I swear this is the last Samsung phone I buy if they do :(
30. JumpinJackROMFlash (Posts: 448; Member since: 10 Dec 2014)
How would that be technically possible?
48. natypes (Posts: 1079; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
By injecting sarcasm to ridicule whiny babies.
42. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8371; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
Your Note 4 is still waiting for 5.1.1? Talk to your carrier. Its available.
50. srattan (Posts: 3; Member since: 23 Oct 2014)
Nah, it is unlocked, n910g, Indian version and none has been upgraded to 5.1.1.
I even sent an email to Samsung and got no reply.
57. ihearlivepplz (Posts: 77; Member since: 06 Jul 2015)
Download official AU ROM from Sammobiles website and flash with ODIN. Warranty will not be void cause official ROM.
16. JoshuaDK (Posts: 16; Member since: 08 May 2014)
Is there a big difference between Always-On on the S7 and the Night Clock on the Edge and Edge+
43. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8371; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
I would say...yes.Because the edge display is smaller than the full sized display. In order to have such a feature, you need a more efficient display since the S7 display is larger than the edge display but itself.
If Samsung made this available on the S6 and it drained the battery, then the fools would be complaining about why they made a feature that doesn't work properly available on an older model.
Now they arent making ti available and the clones are still complaining.
This tech wannabes drive me nuts being so stupid.They dont think like a techie, they think like some rich kid who didnt get everything they wanted, but still got more than enough.
22. Zomer (Posts: 252; Member since: 31 May 2013)
It could be a combination between software and hardware. If the drivers of the display don't support this feature it will probably not work.
33. joey18 (Posts: 589; Member since: 20 Jul 2010)
Most people will past this phone bcs I don't see any changes for me s6 one more year on my hands
35. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8371; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want such a useless feature. It's pointless at best. if I want to see the time or my notifications, I can do so in a manner where this feature though handy, just isn't needed.
When we go to meetings, everyone brings a phone because they still need to answer calls. Its not an issue with our company like it may be with others. We don't have serious stockholder-like meetings.
49. natypes (Posts: 1079; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
They usually don't at best buy geek squad
58. jeevanand88 (Posts: 152; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
This again proves that we shouldn't go behind this Samsung phones. Eventho s6 edge has its 12hrs always on display it won't b comin as full featured as s7... new phone releases the previous yr phones will b dumped...!!! One can't upgrade mob phones every yr wen it launches... they degraded their megapixals and saying d reason as it will gather more light things lik that... wen its best are they gonna keep the same camera wat its best now?? They r going to upgarde the camera frm 12 to 16 again in next yr... are they gonna say d same reason once again in 2017?no... this s how they show the improvements yr by yr...