Sony's "selfie camera" is a real, perfume-shaped, luxury non-smartphone thing
The KW1 is a literal selfie camera that looks like a Xperia phone with the cap of an expensive perfume bottle attached to its top, and a back that's styled like a bottle itself. The device's body houses a 3.3-inch OLED display, while the top part houses a 19.2 megapixel camera with Sony's latest sensor technology. The 21mm f2.0 camera lens can be rotated 180 degrees, capturing the beauty of its (mostly female, we presume) users from every angle.
Also, the camera has built-in Wi-Fi and NFC connections, and it records 1080p video. There are touch slide shutter, self-timer, instant share, and smartphone control functions built in, while the surface is inlaid with "dazzling Swarovski elements".
Great! But seriously, what's with the perfume bottle? Well, apparently Chinese ladies are really into decorating their phones with cases that look like premium Chanel perfumes, so Sony decided to go ahead and cater to this growing customer niche. However, the gadget's price is absolutely nuts - $843 (5,199 yuan).
Sony DSC-KW1 selfie camera
source: Sony via Digital Trends
11. Ashoaib (Posts: 2425; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
wow... now this is kinda interesting... quite unique... a phone of its kind... now this design can be called innovative... if it is for china then I hope sony will price it right bcoz sony has a track record of pricing its products higher
2. hurrycanger (Posts: 1287; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
I was kind interested...
But I'll pass.
3. mayur007 (Posts: 470; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
No one will buy egoistic sony camera
18. T.Law (Posts: 361; Member since: 10 May 2014)
You don't know China then. I can see a whole lot of fugly narcissistic chinese girls buying this.
4. Duketytz (Posts: 519; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Not only China, here in Singapore I see quite a number of phone cases that resembles perfume bottles!
21. pegasso (Posts: 183; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
not just Singapore, try South East Asia, those ugly chanel perfume cases are everywhere... -_-;
6. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3297; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I can imagine Chinese women with rich husbands buying these things.
7. mixedfish (Posts: 203; Member since: 17 Nov 2013)
Before anyone asks 'why'.
1. Trial Sony's latest curved sensor tech, selfie users will like the extra corner sharpness.
2. The most popular selfie camera is the Casio tr15, and that's $100 more expensive than this.
10. luis.d (Posts: 209; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
Come on, it doesn't even have Swarovski crystals!
8. willywanta (Posts: 45; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
hmmm... i wish sony has pink flagship xperia z phones
12. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
"apparently Chinese ladies are really into decorating their phones with cases that look like premium Chanel perfumes"
No kidding, in Singapore and Malaysia, these things are all the range, despite making your phone almost 2 times bulkier...
23. GalaxyS5 (Posts: 294; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
and you are the presumed id!ot to buy this cr@p? I was wondering who would ever buy this and you popped up
22. xche78x (Posts: 101; Member since: 11 Mar 2014)
cybershot digicam in a bottle, thanks sony for a great gift idea (rich men to classy girl)... too bad most of us can't afford it. at that price i can buy an entry level dslr and she might like me more...