Sony's 2013 flagships tipped, Q4 might see a quad-core Cortex-A15 beast with a huge battery
0. phoneArena posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:09
A user in the leaky Sony forum for their upcoming machines, is confirming the specs we expect for the Odin/Yuga, but throws a few more devices in the mix, if Google's translation is to be trusted...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Thephonegeek posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:17 41 4
Holy cow. Samsung is gonna have a stronger competitor after all. Sony is really getting the competition over the limit. And I am a sony fan. Yay Sony.
12. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:43 14 3
This is great, I can already see Sony elbow SS from top spot of Android world.
I know that Sony is busy with software thing this year, and next year will be the year of Sony comeback.
It will be 4 horse race Sony - SS - LG - HTC I guess.
15. XiphiasGladius posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:48 7 3
Don't under estimate the companies from China (Huawei, ZTE & Lenovo) their phones are somewhat equally spec to those by the Big Boys ( Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC) but they're more affordable. A real bang for buck I say. Tho in the states they'll probably won't grab that much attention. . .
22. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:14 8 0
Sony, and now HTC have learned from SS example: specs and design is easy part, the hard part is software optimisation and marketing.
The Chinese have great potential but I guess it will take them a few years before they can compete in top end of the market.
23. XiphiasGladius posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:20 0 0
Agree, I'm actually seeing Android dominating more come 2013 in the mobile space thanks to those Chinese Company's ultra aggressive pricing.
24. blingblingthing posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:21 0 0
Exactly. Give us the hardware and a few tricks. And for all of our sakes give it an ad so everyone knows of it.
32. XiphiasGladius posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:48 0 0
Precisely. Ad's, informative Ad's.
33. Commentator posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:51 6 0
By saying "quarterly flagship machine" Sony has confirmed that they'll be releasing a new flagship every three months or so (which they have already been doing for at least a year). Not sure if this is a good thing or not. It obviously hasn't worked for HTC in the past, and Samsung and Apple both only release one major flagship per year to tremendous success.
36. Droid_X_Doug posted on 10 Dec 2012, 09:31 5 0
Sammy will basically be announcing their flagship 2013 phone next month and probably shipping in April-May-June timeframe. Nothing like sucking all of the oxygen out of the room....
Sony needs to step up it's game. Even Apple is feeling the heat from Sammy.
38. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 10 Dec 2012, 09:43 0 0
This is 1 of many possibilities, this is early stage of mobile market development and things will change wildly. I think there will be several big players coexist in the Android ecosystem similar to HP, Lenovo, Dell... in Windows PC.
41. oister85 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 10:30 0 1
Actually sony is learning from Samsung . Sammy just to release phones every 3 month low end To mid range to high end I think that is a strategy.
59. Nadr1212 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 18:53 0 0
I hope the "1.5" GB in the Xperia 4 mean 1.5 GigaBytes of ram, NOT storage (cuz some phones actually have that)
JUST 4 any buyers sake.
76. thethirdelric posted on 13 Dec 2012, 18:23 0 0
It did say RAM
21. pankajgupta posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:12 11 1
Gonna be a monster of a phone... Best of All. :)
SONY FTW :)
31. TROLL posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:46 0 0
Daniel.P don't you have anything to say on this article or posts....?
51. htc_prep posted on 10 Dec 2012, 15:17 0 0
@thephonegeek you are very very true sony has had a beautiful line up of devices i would love to spend my money on, BUT the only way that Sony can contend with Sammy is if they break into the US market. one device sprinkled on 1 or 2 carriers every now and again.
54. richardyarrell2011 (banned) posted on 10 Dec 2012, 18:09 0 2
Samsung welcomes all challengers any time. Samsung owns this space and you can bank on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 having 6inch flexible screen, 1080p resolution, 2.0ghz quadcore Exynos 5 processor, 3gb of ram, 16megipix camera, 32 or 64gb of internal storage, 64gb micro sd card slot, 3.0 front facing camera. Rest assured nobody who is not in this space today will make a threat to Samsung they own this smartphone/tablet market. The Galaxy Note 2 is leading the way. Software and features alone makes Samsung the best manufacturer period.
2. redmd posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:26 4 17
Apple should also up their game. iPhone 6 should have a 5 inch 1080p screen. I can only wish.
9. neutralguy posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:36 15 0
and that would be called, cornea display? or optic nerve display? :))
11. wendygarett (limited) 4 days ago posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:41 3 8
Please don't, I'm enjoying the 3.5 inches screen tho :(
If Apple wanna to, release another called iPhone giant...
14. redmd posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:45 6 2
it's optic nerve display. Apple should patent that. lol
37. Droid_X_Doug posted on 10 Dec 2012, 09:35 1 0
Not gonna happen. Apple's strategy is to suppress competitors through lawsuits. They need to update their UI more than anything.
3. TROLL posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:26 10 0
Big SONY fan to, but the Exynos are much better. SONY welcome back, wish you all the very best™®©
4. wendygarett (limited) 4 days ago posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:26 2 16
Not another beast phone :(
I'm tired to see such monsterios spec, they actually kill me tho...
7. XiphiasGladius posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:32 7 0
hush. Stick with the iPhones they're not beastly (well probably).
5. gazmatic posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:28 17 1
way to go sony!
hope you deliver
finally battery... the only spec i care about
6. XiphiasGladius posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:29 5 0
Holy smokes, SGS4 rumors + LG Optimus G2 rumors then this one? Deymmm. . . . . .
8. neutralguy posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:33 7 0
XPERIA 5R! it's like acro S but way better. HIGH-END IP57 certified phone, that's epic!
16. joseph98 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 07:52 10 1
6" display, 3GB ram & 3500 mAh battery now this phone will let me say goodbye to my Galaxy note II unless Galaxy note III stand up.
17. kamejoko posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:06 1 0
Cortex A15? Now Qualcomm with Krait. Nvidia tegra4 not ready.
18. TROLL posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:09 11 0
Soon Sony will overtake everyone, with those insane specs™®©
19. MauriceGerald posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:11 7 0
Using ARC S now and really happy with it but i think it is time to upgrade. Xperia T/TX was not the thing i was waiting. Cannot wait for 5"er, badly want it.
27. TylerGrunter posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:30 2 1
I guess you are joking, but just in case. The Tegra 4 (Wayne) is also a quad core A15. And it's coming Q1 2013.
42. darac posted on 10 Dec 2012, 10:32 1 0
Have you read the article?
"It is listed as a quad-core Cortez-A15 endeavor, but neither Qualcomm, nor NVIDIA with Tegra 4 are in the mix"
So, any other idea?
47. TylerGrunter posted on 10 Dec 2012, 12:04 4 1
Maybe they are going to start to develop their own? It would surprise me, but with Sony it´s possible.
OK, I admit I´m out of ideas...
50. Berzerk000 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 14:44 1 0
TI OMAP's final stand?
65. TylerGrunter posted on 11 Dec 2012, 02:35 1 0
More unlikely even than the previous comments.
OMAP5430 and OMAP5432 are A15 but dual cores, and TI is stepping out of mobile SoCs, so it's not likely they'll create a new quad core one.
77. Berzerk000 posted on 14 Dec 2012, 00:13 0 0
A man can dream.
73. j__h2 posted on 11 Dec 2012, 23:07 0 0
Why is Nvidia not in the mix?
30. XiphiasGladius posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:45 2 0
All Rovio games running + more is needed to occupy that RAM
45. TROLL posted on 10 Dec 2012, 11:26 3 1
More than enough, you will be running high-end PC games, which requires over 1.5 gb ram.
29. ryq24 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:43 5 0
bet samsung is quickly changing its specs for s4 to match these sony's upcoming phones.
34. adjou posted on 10 Dec 2012, 08:59 6 2
I expect the SGS4's specs to match or even better the Sony flag, but in terms of design, no matter how hard Samsung changes it, it won't match Sony's.
Though, Sony design ain't going to help them get No.1 since Samsung fan base is big and more importantly, they know how to market.
75. MC1123 posted on 12 Dec 2012, 18:29 0 0
japanese tech can put korean tech to dust anytime!!!
people buy samsung coz its cheaper than sony's!! but low quality looking phones!!
sony's are top notch!
39. spiderpig2894 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 09:53 4 0
MINDBLOWN! First time to hear 3GB of RAM for a phablet. I hope those specs will be same or a little better. Goodluck Sony! I'm a proud owner of your famous Xperia S!
40. gwuhua1984 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 10:21 4 0
Wow, Sony had really put effort into their phones after Xperia X10. The 2nd place in Europe is well deserved.
44. Insignificant posted on 10 Dec 2012, 11:17 0 0
This was initially posted of Neogaf, then Esato. Then it must have been translated to another language, and back to english again. Tsk tsk, a bit late?
46. Pedro0x posted on 10 Dec 2012, 11:48 0 0
APQ8064 is not Cortex A-15 so for example exynos 5440 will be more powerful at the same clock. And MSM8960T is a dual core Krait with adreno 320 and it has only 1 MB L2 cache, meanwhile APQ8064 has 2 MB L2 cache. Just wanted to clear the air :)
48. legend1 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 14:36 4 0
sony is kicking things up a notch or two??(maybe three)
49. Berzerk000 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 14:42 4 0
Looks like Samsung will have a bit of competition next year. Hopefully HTC will follow suit with giving Sammy a hard time.