Sony says the lossless zoom tech of the Nokia PureView 808 is no big deal
0. phoneArena 14 Mar 2012, 10:43 posted on
Sony's UK category development manager, Paul Genge, called the Nokia 808 PureView "development announcement", clarifying that the Japanese have been using the pixel zoom technology of the PureView 808 in their commercial cameras for a year now...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Medel (Posts: 84; Member since: 31 May 2011)
I didn't know there's a lot news in Nokia 808 PureView... this is interesting.. =/
2. sinple (Posts: 124; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
there's a lot of nokia pure view 808 news in other sites when its being announced, but definitely not in iphonearena or droidarena
43. eiyoy009 (Posts: 57; Member since: 01 Jun 2011)
SONY SAID "NOKIA 808 PUREVIEW TECHNOLOGY ISN'T A SUPRISE TO
THEM BECUASE THE TECHNOLOGY IS ALREADY USE BY
THEM"..... NOW THEY ARE USING THE FLOATING TOUCH
IDEA WHICH IS ACTUALLY NOT SURPRISING TO NOKIA
BECAUSE IT IS ALREADY FEATURED IN NOKIA N9... SO
WHO IS THE BEST?
3. smartphone (Posts: 160; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
No deal is big enough if done by the competiter.
39. karanstyle (Posts: 188; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Being a Sony Xperia Owner I'd say that "Seems like Sony and others are now awake from their sleepy Andro-Land".
To Sony - If its not a big deal for you than why are you still stuck at 8Mpx even in your latest Xperia line of 2012. :-P
Go Nokia Go!! :-)
5. torr310 (Posts: 532; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
To criticize is easier than to accomplish.
I saw another Stephen Elop.
6. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Either this guy really didn't get it or he just purposely downplays value of this PureView technology. Sony used some kind of pixel binning in their new cameras, however they were not smart enough to use it to it's full potential. Actually they are only combining some pixels to get better light sensitivity while in digital zoom. But who's using digital zoom (which si degrading quality) on dedicated cameras if there's optical zoom already ? So basicly they just improved a function, which isn't used by people anyway. Great achievement!
On the other side Nokia's PureView is using "pixel binning" while in non-zoomed mode, increasing light sensitivity in regular shots (and afaik even in partially zoomed shots), which results in significantly less noise. And most importantly, this PureView allows you to zoom digitally without losing quality.
7. crysiswarmonger (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Is the sensor an actual 41Mp chip? or just scaling of 8Mp or something?
23. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
the sensor is 41 mpx but when its in rectangular shape but the phone uses 38 mpx max
32. bovcrx (Posts: 68; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I believe it's 5MP then enhanced.
8. Jphones (Posts: 235; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
It's a camera with a phone on it. Not a cameraphone the hardware is lacking on the phone side. So until they actually put some real phone specs with it It's a no go I'll stick with 8mp dual flash on my sensation and just download camera360 to improve quality on already high quality piks.
19. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
There's nothing lacking on phone side, actually 808 is even better phone than Androids. There's Symbian which is much more energy efficient. When you will need to call emergency and your Android will be out of energy you will understand. 4 CPU cores and superhigh display resolution have nothing to do with "phone side".
38. Jphones (Posts: 235; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Ha whoever rym ha I think your mistaken my friend. Androids got great battery if so called Symbian drains less It's because nobody has the dam phone so they made the battery themselves
41. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
You probably live on some other planet, because Symbian is still the most used mobile OS in the world, even if it's share is declining.
52. epdm2be (Posts: 201; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Have you ever USED a Nokia 701 with Belle FP1?
If you have then you wouldn't be so negative. I ditched my Lumia 800 for a Nokia 701 and haven't regretted it. Just the fact that the 701 is louder alone made it worthwhile.
9. andro. (Posts: 1983; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Its all the one about the camera because the phone itself wont be very good
11. Sun_Wukong (Posts: 5; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Obviously u have not tried Symbian Belle phones to make such comment...
14. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I have both a GSII and a N8, Belle is far way behind Android!
24. bovcrx (Posts: 68; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Please explain for me. Don't you dare say it doesn't have Angry Birds.
50. vishalvenky (Posts: 63; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
hey what do u know about symbian??? can android have such a huge sensor with a single core??? lol it doesnt run lag free even with a single core.. show me a belle phone which lags.. android is living on because of its apps.. i ll tell u advantages of belle over android
1.it doesnt need a dual core and it doesnt lag.
2. show me an android phone with single core having this sensor. S2(dual core) cant even come close to N8's(680mhz single core) performance in camera.
3.belle is very smooth than your droids.if u fill your internal your device is doomed.. Nokia belle(devices) has sufficient amount of internal(even N8 has 16gb) so it runs very smooth
4. dolby enhanced sound.. try listening songs in it it will blow you away
5.usb-otg is one feature integrated with all belly phones while android is still struggling to bring it(2.3.5 has a bugy version whereas 2.3.3 doesnt)
android wins over belle only in screen resolutions and apps.. nothing else
16. andro. (Posts: 1983; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Ive had an n8 n700 and current a lumia and they are both miles behind my galaxy s2
17. miikeyroks (Posts: 26; Member since: 07 Feb 2009)
He didnt say the Belle phones were better than Android. Simply that the Belle phones are decent performers. I love my Nexus, but I personally would rather use a 808 PureView than say an iPhone, but thats personal preference.
27. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
if you'll be using the 808 only for shots then you take a camera which is cheaper Symbian = crap
26. bovcrx (Posts: 68; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Explain for me please. I had a Lumia 710 for a month and gave it to my gf. I really liked it and it did everything every other phone I've had did. Apart from apps please tell me what is behind. I use a BB 9900 so enlighten me.
53. epdm2be (Posts: 201; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
to andro: unfortunatly the SGS2 cannot (automatically) record incoming and outgoing phonecalls (even when routed over bluetooth headset) and hence is useless as a professional communications-tool.
The same applies to WP7-phones (including Nokia's own Lumia's), iPhones and Bada-phones.
22. bovcrx (Posts: 68; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Thank You! I've tried almost every os but Symbian is one I have not. I will be importing a Pureview 808 once I can.
20. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Actually 808 is better phone than Androids. There's Symbian which is much more energy efficient. When you will need to call emergency and your Android will be out of energy you will understand. 4 CPU cores and superhigh display resolution have nothing to do with "phone side".
30. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
symbian is not more energy efficient and single core 1 ghz 65nm with DDR uses much more energy (don't even mention how much energy this huge sensor will consume) than 1.5ghz 28nm with ddr2/3
34. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Symbian is much more energy efficient than Android . The reason is that while Symbian applications are precompiled, Android applications are stored in weird byte-code which is interpreted on the fly by Dalvik Virtual Machine. Ofcourse, this leads to much higher power consumption, higher performance and memory requirements (yes, VM has to be stored in memory all the time).
Also, can u back up your claim of 65nm CPU used in 808 (or even in older 701/700/603 family) ? Even if ARM11 is older architecture, there are still new processors based on it, made with newer technology and less energy consumption. For example Samsung introduced 45 nm ARM11 CPU already in June 2009, and technology advanced since then. Symbian Nokias are using Samsung CPUs FYI.
54. epdm2be (Posts: 201; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Nokia uses tricks with their devices just like everyone else. E.g. shifting 640x360 pixels around requires less performance and hence saves energy. The SGS3 will have a larger screen 4.6" and 1280x720 pixels to shift around and will definitely need that quadcore cpu (that certain regions will NOT get due to LTE). While it's battery although an impressive 1500mA will hold charge charge for less than a day (like the HTC Titan).
Battery-tech needs to improve first before quad-core mobiles become really usefull. Right now, I'll stick with a 1400mA 808 PureView and Symbian.
47. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Haha, Nokia fanboys are always in denial.
55. epdm2be (Posts: 201; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
No denial. But for me, as a professional IT-technician on the road, full 2-way call recording is essential.
Since no other smartphones than Symbian can currently deliver that. I have no choice. Unfortunatly, while some other phones like Lumia 800/N9 and Sony S are aesthetically very beautiful phones, they lack this one essential feature that hold me back.
12. shadez10 (Posts: 408; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
sony is getting annoyed with the 808 pureview because its xperia S with 12mpx won't get attention... ahahahhaha... xD
accept it sony that nokia really did a great job in this... the pureview technology is a really great achievement...
28. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
sooo not right i prefer sony with its slim design and android with really decent camera than just nokia's fat camera. yet it's just camera that costs about $150 and thats it you are not getting good phone Symbian is sooooo dead
35. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Symbian is so dead that it is still the most used mobile OS around the world.http://gs.statcounter.com/#mob
48. SleepingOz (unregistered)
third world countries!
40. shadez10 (Posts: 408; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
can your android handle this massive camera?.. i think not... they need to have a complete overhaul to do this job that symbian has... and also symbian can do what your android does... its just android has plenty of apps...
56. epdm2be (Posts: 201; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Some commenters would say; Wait till SGSIII comes then... oh but SGSIII will only have 10Mpixel camera... oops!
18. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Wait... Did Daniel P just say the "vast majority of Nokia customers wish this technology was on a Windows Phone"? Bwahahahahahaha!! Is iPhonearena in to comedy now? The vast majority of Nokia customers are using SYMBIAN handsets! WINDOWS Phone users make up less of Nokia's customer base than it's Meego customers so! Please so some actual research before posting articles like this. No wonder people keep calling this site iPhonearena... You guys only really research iOS news, everything else you make up as you go along.
21. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
The're living in their own american world, where only Apple's, Microsoft, Google's and BlackBerry's OS exists.
44. Jphones (Posts: 235; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Yes we do proud American you want us to be all in to Symbian bring that s**t over here but wait they aren't so keep yo Symbian love to yourself It's America like you said love it or leave it.
46. chapizzo (Posts: 116; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
good observation, he should have said all those fandroids out there and windows boys (or US customers) would have wanted windows 7. Nokia fans are mostly symbian users and most of them don't mind
33. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6946; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Just wish for once companies stop using their BIG EGO to talk bad bout the other one. 41MP IS FREAKING RIDICULOUS AWESOME
36. Dadler22 (Posts: 161; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
I don't wish it had windows phone, ask anyone who has windows phone, its a s**t experience. to quote a friend "its like your retarded friend, except without any character"
37. AK007 (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Mar 2012)
I don't have that grapes...but hey why should I care the grapes are sour ...that's Sony for u here
51. vishalvenky (Posts: 63; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
achieve it and then comment.. u have just now released a 12mp camera phone.. u r talking about 41mp pureview technology eh?? lol..