Sony looking into Windows Phone 8?
0. phoneArena 08 Sep 2012, 00:41 posted on
On the heels of presenting some nice Android based hardware at IFA 2012, Sony will be beginning discussions with Microsoft to discuss the possibility...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. DKMDROID (Posts: 102; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
I doubt Sony would want to shoot itself in the leg by doing something like that especially provide something thats a competitor product it'll make no sense, but with that being said Sony would make good WP8 phones
34. oldhamletman (Posts: 39; Member since: 03 Sep 2011)
Sony would be seriously IQ challenged not to do it.. MS is linking their entire PC-Tablet_Phone eco system in one OS experience....
not doing it would be equivalent to, in 1995, saying they aren't gong to put win95 on PCs
37. Ratioexmachina (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
The coolest thing would be a WP8 phone that supports both XBoX and PlayStation games. That would sell like crazy. Please Sony, read this post :D
2. jove39 (Posts: 1283; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Well...since sony will surely venture into win8 based tabs to making wp8 based phones makes lot of sense...interested buyer can take advantage of complete windows ecosystem...good luck sony :)
3. ravi5695 (Posts: 46; Member since: 11 Feb 2011)
sony can use both of them (Xbox and Playstation) in their WP8 phones if MS allows them to....
12. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 968; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
i'm sure if microsoft agrees to that deal there will be something about that in their contract
15. aokde (Posts: 186; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
So you're desi that sony mobile talked about :-D congratulation dude :-D
24. wendygarett (unregistered)
WTF!!! then i hate you :(
I'm the one who suppose to win that :(
anyway congratulation :D
27. ludegmo (Posts: 16; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
when will they give it to you ?i hope they release it at least in two weeks.
35. XperiaUser (unregistered)
ah i m waiting for my number... :(
best of luck dude . enjoy ur Xperia T
5. loken (Posts: 462; Member since: 09 May 2012)
Well i want to see sony design with windows phone :) i think it will be sexy as helll
10. robot9001 (banned) (Posts: 25; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
u r right homie. wp8 is basically wp8 bug with an uglier menu
7. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
xbox and playstation in one?! the best!!!
however, will it be on sony mobile or sony vaio line? if sony mobile it will be new family line... but should have a tablet too.... so i think it will be on viao...
8. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
It is easy, very easy... Sony just need to develop Playstation Apps for Windows Phone 8
9. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Hey, for those people sayin that Sony will not make any windows phone device are plain stupid. Sony will be makin windows 8 vaio laptops which also carries the xbox branding for its gaming. So if Sony can make windows 8 laptops then i see no problem for them to make a windows phone.
33. snowgator (Posts: 3210; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Totally agree. Sony would slam a fantastic WP8.
11. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 968; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
android it's too crowded now sony is trying to find other baskets
13. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
it should be a VIAO phone! since xperia is all android... so viao should be the brand of WP if sony will going to join WP party...
since xperia is android and xperia has a tablet now..its time for viao to have a phone division! :) since viao is a windows brand of sony!
28. vslayer (Posts: 34; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
i think u forgot the first generation of xperia phones are in windows OS (X1,X2 i if im not mistaken )
39. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
but now, xperia is an android name... sony even kinda said that!! so i think new family name or just make a WP on their VAIO line... but i think sony's mobile and loptop are different
16. Glim12808 (Posts: 393; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Not gonna happen. Sony will sit this one out. They're loosing money on so many fronts they'll be too scared to open another one.
17. redmd (Posts: 893; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
It would just look like a WP port on the xperia T.
18. redmd (Posts: 893; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
To differentiate, Sony should make low cost WP devices.
19. cheeseaddict (Posts: 49; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
it's like frying your self on your own oil.. pain in the ass hehe, that's what mobile business world runs lie, if you want to earn you should learn to be friends with you enemies.. (ala apple v. samsung)
20. Shino (banned) (Posts: 196; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Sony'd better hurry up. Their share of the Android market is really small and I believe that only Samsung will be the last to make profit of it.
22. champ_vl (Posts: 44; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
It would be a piece of cake for Sony to make WP8. Why? Because the current flagship models already have the exact hardware specs to run the WP8: 1.5 dual core Krait and Adreno 225 GPU exactly like the Lumia 920/820 and Samsung Ativ S so the costs for making a new phone are minimum.
23. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 968; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
yeah but the lumia 920/820 and samsung Ativ S uses snapdragon scorpion proccessors
25. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
If they want to differentiate, then stick to android as it offers endless customization options.
Make a unique android skin across PlayStation 4 and Xperia phones, highlighting the strengths of Sony media and entertainment services.
In WP, everything is totally uniformed for all manufacturers.
It's the opposite of differentiation!
26. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Fyi Sony steadily sells about 7-8 million Xperias per quarter.
It is more than entire windows phone line sold in two quarters of this year.
To sell more and have bigger profits, Sony just needs to make better, more competitive Xperia phones.
It's that simple.
Now if they don't mess something up with Xperia T/TX/V, I foresee a positive, relatively good quarter for them.
There is a lot of potential Xperia buyers across the world.
Just that so far, Sony just couldn't match what Samsung was doing.
30. Quezdagreat (Posts: 427; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
I'd perfer a Sony windows phone over a Sony android phone
31. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1085; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Folks Sony would be wise to make a windows 8 tablet with xbox games availabilty and a Sony game app that would allow a a person to play some Sony play station games not all of them. this Tablet would be great for mobiles gamers. if Sony put it out by Christmas time this year. kids would really like to get their hands on this tablet. it would be a hit
36. luxzy801 (Posts: 136; Member since: 16 Jun 2010)
I think it would be a good idea, and even though they will be competing with themselves in a way (PS and xBox), I think they can make profits on both fronts. You can have a Sony Android phone with the PS (if you are the PS fanboy) or you can have the Sony WP phone with xbox (if you are a xbox fanboy) either way, they are still going to be making profit from both (given, probably more profit off the android phones running their own PS stuff)
38. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Considering Sony sells only Xperia smartphones, do the math.
It's about 7-8 million per quarter.
Which actually probably makes them the third largest android maker after Samsung and HTC.
The figures were similar for final few quarters of Sony Ericsson(SE was profitable through most of the 2011 btw), so it seems their sales are steady with a slight increase tendencies - the Xperia lineup actually never looked better than now.
40. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Nokia should learn from market and be rebooting into Android .. enuff of ELOP crap :)
41. YourUglyFriend (Posts: 2; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
and they dont have focus on so much on software design like with android, they can focus more on designing nice and stable hardware
42. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6497; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I highly doubt they make WIndows Phone 8. SONY says themselves their not making any WP8 at the moment due to their sales. The last good SONY WINDOWS phone which I should of bought is the X1 from 2008. but i don't think they would mix XBOX LIVE with PSN. I have a Play Station so I'm getting the XPERIA T.
43. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Whoa WP8 is getting more support from the OEM's, so LG When will you get in the game? Or you supposed to do what you did with android, run after everyone and try recover the loss?
44. lyndon420 (Posts: 1739; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
So...now Sony wants to lose even more market share? Good luck with windows Sony...you're gonna need it. Their biggest problems are pleasant designs and marketing...well...now considering to go with windows is their worst decision now.
45. IcyDevil_ (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
From the article: "Sony’s popular VAIO laptops run on Windows"
LOL If they don't run on Windows, then what do they run on? Mac OS X?
50. rjangus (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Sony might as well release Xperia laptop or desktop lines running on Google Chrome OS.
46. dnyalexander (Posts: 10; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
You better get a high-end windows phone and we will buy it in a heartbeat. People love the quality of the classy Sony devices, you just need to put the best OS, windows 8 and Windows Phone * are going to be integrated.
47. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
not going so well in android realm, what sony?
48. Odeira (Posts: 15; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
It would be a nice proposition and all.
Sony has hands down THE best-designed Android phones out there (e.g.: Xperia arc, Xperia NXT line.)
Sony also has the well-respected display (BRAVIA) and optics (CyberShot) teams.
Sony also has the PlayStation service.
And that's where the plan for Sony + Windows Phone 8 practically ends: PlayStation and XBOX are sworn mortal enemies.
They're practically fighting tooth and nail in the gaming consoles and/or services department (Nintendo is probably just happy to be there.)
Microsoft forces (for the lack of a better term) XBOX into Windows Phone phones.
Seeing Sony has to safeguard the PlayStation name, I doubt that they would rather risk the PlayStation service for agreeing to use a competitor's service (XBOX services) in their smartphones.
Of course, they can go to an oval table and talk about it.
49. rjangus (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Most Windows Phone game apps may be accepted in Sony mobile phones but exclude the Xbox companion apps. Speaking of marketplace, app store, etc. Xbox live and Playstation Mobile apps will be kept separate.