Sony is the number two smartphone manufacturer in India by value of sales, leap frogging over Apple
0. phoneArena 06 Apr 2014, 00:49 posted on
Samsung is the largest smartphone manufacturer in India. But when Sammy looks down, it no longer sees Apple chasing it. Instead, Japanese manufacturer Sony has surpassed Apple to become the second largest smartphone manufacturer in the country. Sony has been able to leap over the producer of the iPhone by concentrating on low priced handsets in the range of 10,000 ($166 USD) Rs to 20,000 Rs. ($333 USD). A 300 Crore ($65 million) marketing campaign also helped...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Nice achievement. But still a distant second after samsung. And apple has no chance in emerging markets because android is popular there and their overpriced mediocre hardware aint helping either.
4. LiyanaBG (Posts: 381; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
India has always been buying everything sony they buy it just for the brand just to show off there friends. they don't buy it for its software/features or design.
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
They buy it because of the cheap price and yes, the brand (which is Samsung). I think the 43% who got Samsung are mostly low to mid end phones, same goes to Sony, the top seller Sony phones in India are Xperia C and M Dual which is cheap.
30. shuaibhere (Posts: 1986; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
No it is sony had better low end phones....i have seen many with xperia E..but when they want to buy mid range and flagship smartphones most of then end up with samsung...that's how it is in india....but with moto g's arrival sony should be careful....
20. chandancherry (Posts: 32; Member since: 25 Jun 2013)
sony is known here as a top T.V. company and this helps it in its mobile marketing also. But sony's design and android skin also contributes towards the sales. For show off, apple is bought here.
47. Nexus4lifes (Posts: 155; Member since: 13 Feb 2014)
Apple is more popular than Sony in India... so your argument is void... However i completely understand the girl in you siding apple..
open facebook, twitter
iphone suits this best...
53. nokia12 (Posts: 493; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
You are wrong here buddy.. Apple is the brand here where People Show off ... Sony is successful because in 2013 it had the best value for money phones.. Xperia M just had no competition until moto G. Xperia C was the only decent 5 incher branded smartphone until galaxy grand 2.arrived. Xperia SP the best Performance phone.. then Xperia ZR . Sony phones were a lot cheaper than samsung counterparts.. that's why the success
40. Amir1 (unregistered)
sony is going up one step at a time. slowly but surely. they deserve it. they are bringing great devices to the market ever since the beginning of last year.
2. wilsong17 (unregistered)
Smart people choose superior phone over style and popularity
7. Hassan420i (Posts: 24; Member since: 23 Jun 2013)
smart people make the 3rd ranked manufacturer popular over the top selling manufacturer... LOL
55. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
So the headline is not for BEST SELLER, but about the distant second.
Can we imagine if Sony would be on the headline , if Apple(or the lame M8 brick) was the best seller in India????
65. papss (unregistered)
Lame joke... Bricks are square
10. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Nah only if nokia made smartphones.
12. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Uh...are you okay? Nokia didn't make smartphones? Are you okay dude?
25. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
But, but they make windows phones they didnt mention smartphones anywhere. Even apple dont make smartphones they make iphones. So Only android phone are smartphones.
27. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
But, but, you didn't mention Android phones are smartphones. lol
28. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Read the Last line i did mention. Every other tech site does mention a phone as android smartphone.
50. lyndon420 (Posts: 4466; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
In Canada iphones aren't considered smart phones.
64. darkkjedii (Posts: 21781; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude who really cares. If you like buy it, if you don't don't. It's like whatever now man.
34. mayur007 (Posts: 568; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
haha this is the post of the day
honestly android is the only smatphone os right now
43. Amir1 (unregistered)
true. android is the most mature OS. the rest lag behind.
63. sbw44 (Posts: 433; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
100% true! the rest lag behind in LAG! Android is the best best OS if you want the best lag possible! I mean if a Note3 can still lag... WOW
62. sbw44 (Posts: 433; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Dude please give me the definition of smartphone? I mean seriously, I knew some of were mindless idiots but I didn't know you were that stupid!
15. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 903; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
If Nokia X family have at least Snapdragon 200(Cortex-A7 variant, not that crappy A5). It would have a better performance and a better support for newer OS version.
16. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 903; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I'm sure that Nokia X, X+, and XL will stuck forever in 4.1.2, thanks to the crappy Snapdragon S4 Play. Even Mediatek chipsets are more reliable than S4 play, Cortex-A5 is the worst ARMv7 CPU in the world.