Sony intros Xperia Themes for smartphones running Android 4.3 or later
Xperia Themes uses themes that are already available via Google Play. To find and install new themes, go to the Themes menu on your Xperia handset and press the + button in the upper right corner. After that, you’ll be able to see all the available themes and download them. All in all, this seems like a pretty cool way to make your Xperia UI look just the way you want.
A video presenting Xperia Themes can be watched below:
1. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Better than TouchWiz and SenseUI but still nothing beats vanilla.
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Looks better, but still isn't enough.
Touchwiz/Sense > Sony UI > LG UI
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The UI to get work done with S-Pen.
26. THE_Hulk (Posts: 55; Member since: 09 Feb 2014)
hey papa... did you know with sony UI you can use any pen/pencil as stylus?! ya the functionalities arr not as vast or as cool as S pen... but any pen/pencil stylus is cool too.
28. hurrycanger (Posts: 1287; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Fair enough. It's pretty cool, but handwriting and overall functionalities cannot compare to the S-pen.
That feature was one of the reasons I wanted to get myself the Z Ultra though, but I ended up getting the Mega for other reasons. :P
37. Charlie_boy (Posts: 64; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
late news.. been available for sometime. some themes are not well made. one theme makes the onscreen volume slider (sort-of) disappear/non-viewable.
32. ahomad (Posts: 165; Member since: 15 May 2012)
Don't you know that s-pen is different from UI, its like saying your car looks better because it has a bluetooth functionality
36. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Features of the S-Pen are implemented throughout the UI, so comment invalidated. Thanks.
38. ahomad (Posts: 165; Member since: 15 May 2012)
Well, all features are implemented in the UI in one way or the other, but that doesn't make them part of it. You don' t get feature only accessed through the karnel for example, do you?
12. maherk (Posts: 1194; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I don't get it how touchwiz is considered cartoonish and this isn't. The only UI that isn't cartoonish is SenseUI.
20. akki20892 (Posts: 3652; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
This is better than original. Great work Sony, and I'm gonna try it. Looks very very nice.
34. Shubham412302 (Posts: 305; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
android should have had theming support for even vanilla android
nokia phones had them a long ago
35. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
I forget to add the Live Tiles UI. Better than Xperia and TouchWiz.
*bashes by a WP fan*
2. buggerrer (Posts: 288; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
The Xperia UI is the best UI of any android phone. The most gorgeous piece of software I've ever seen. The Xperia line is the best smartphone line ever.
4. buggerrer (Posts: 288; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
10 times more sexy, and functional than vanilla.
5. AtheK (Posts: 29; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Been using this on my Xperia Z from a month now, not sure how is this a new feature...
6. Liveitup (Posts: 1572; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Reminds me of WP UI, swiping up to unlock, the Tiled vertically scrolling, the mimimalistic themes.
9. livyatan (Posts: 753; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Putting WP and this in the same sentence is an insult to Xperia.
21. Liveitup (Posts: 1572; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Care to elaborate?, I think if anything Sony is flattered by Windows Phone UI, you can see elements of WP in its design, also look at the music hub in Xperia its a near identical knockoff of WP music hub. Everybody is using WP flat UI, its the most imitated OS since iOS in 2007.
24. tahnik (Posts: 133; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
They are not using WP Flat UI. It is a Metro UI. Futuristic UI and everyone eventually is going to use this.
7. Adrian38 (Posts: 136; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
Sony's Timescape UI is by far the best UI out there. Looks nice and isn't overdone with useless features. Looks nicer than stock Android and works better. It has just enough features to make it much more functional and useful than stock Android. Now with the addition of these themes, it's just gonna be that much better :)
8. livyatan (Posts: 753; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
I will go as far to say Sony's Android is the best out of all..especially in the design aspect.
With this feature they are really picking the right direction to strengthen and widen this position.
I wish TouchWiz had at least some kind of theme support since I hate the look of stock settings and notification menus.
Sony's are just gorgeous in comparison
10. Fluxman (Posts: 51; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
"Sony today launched Xperia Themes, a “native feature” that allows owners of any Xperia smartphone running Android 4.3 or later to customize their handset’s UI."
This has been in there ever since the 4.3 update. It's not new. Try and keep up, phone arena.
I still want to see more themes on the play store, so I hope more developers get on board.
18. Florin.T (Posts: 128; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
It may have been "in there" for a while, but it's only today that Sony announced it.
13. Scomii (Posts: 25; Member since: 22 Nov 2013)
Sony has the best UI on android - so simple yet so elegant and functional. But how's this new? This has been there for over some months PA.
14. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Billion times better than Touchwiz
Touchwiz is the most laggy UI ever made
15. garyII (Posts: 160; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Sony did it again, it reminds me of those Sony Ericsson mobile phones where we can download different themes and load it into our phones...damn nice!
16. GeekMovement (Posts: 1521; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Really like the simplicity of the lockscreen. I have to say I prefer stock android still, but I like all the UI's from Sony, Samsung, LG, Moto, etc etc etc.
19. anleoflippy (Posts: 317; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Sony's UI is got to be the cleanest even though to doesn't have much features that punches you in the face like touchwiz or LG UI.
22. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1255; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
wow looking good on Z2 LIVE LED display.
30. boosook (Posts: 1088; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Great work, Sony!
Ignore the Samsung trolls trying to defend their ugly and laggy UI even in a thread that they should ignore because we're talking about Sony here.
This is a feature that every former SonyEricsson user was expecting, since it was available on their proprietary OS and it was a much appreciated feature with hundreds (maybe thousands) of themes that could be downoladed from the internet.
The only thing I don't understand is why it took them so much time to port it to Android. :)
And please... if you don't have a Sony phone, and thus you can't understand why the Sony's interface is different, if you can't see the difference in style between Sony and Samsung or LG, please don't make useless comments.