Sony hopes to release Firefox OS phone in 2014
0. phoneArena 26 Feb 2013, 04:16 posted on
Sony Mobile says that through a partnership with carrier Telefonica, it hopes that will be able to release a handset powered by the open source Firefox OS some time next year; some manufacturers have already produced models running on the OS such as ZTE, Alcatel and Geeksphone while LG and Huawei have expressed an interest in the OS...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Suster.Ngesot (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Sony do a FireFoxOS, but NOT WP...
It's really a bitch slap to Microsoft and Baldy Balmer.
7. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Sony should make WP instead. Much like they did with the iconic X1 and X2, the original Xperia.
17. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
maybe they are not doing it coz microsoft is trying to promote xbox through wp and sony is doing the same thing with the playstation certification.
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7013; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Yes youre right cause sony dont see any1 buyn any windows phone latley not too mention their greedy law suits against android. Sony is a company whos open up too other os that will drive sales.
23. ZeroCide (Posts: 714; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
This is till 2014. There could be a few windows phones in the works between now and then.
2. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
sony put firefox os in tipo dual and sell it ....lol...
3. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
i think Sony must go for Ubuntu.
Ubuntu has more potential to threat Android.
4. wendygarett (unregistered)
Keywords: thread android, thats why sony refuses to flamebait his partner :)
9. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
but they must choose an OS which has more capabilities in order to attract the customer, and i think Ubuntu has more potential to do so.
5. nikenturd (unregistered)
It will be overpriced as usual
10. nikenturd (unregistered)
SONY is so yesterday....get over it fanboy...their last great product ( innovative) was the Playstation 1....has been irrelevant since....other than walkmans and discmans, they never really made something worthwhile
11. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
so would you please introduce the most innovative brand of the world?
there is no doubt that Sony is among the pioneers of digital world and will remain as before.
butthurt fanboys like you can't accept it.
12. nikenturd (unregistered)
They pioneered things that was great in the 80'90's....but since we are talking about NOW, I guess you argument is completely pointless since Sony is just playing catch up for awhile now.....no matter what they do, people will just shy away due to their incompetitive pricing
13. tahnik (Posts: 137; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
Well,Sony was at a stack when tsunami hit them and they lost 6 factories in Japan....
That was the only chance of Samsung and they used the chance very well...
14. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
so you didn't name the pioneer at the present time.
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7013; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
and youre blind as usual. SONY have made some low budget phones in case u don't even see it
15. FireDragon (Posts: 107; Member since: 13 Nov 2009)
Sony really really need to have an OS complete in their own control so they will be able to put their own magic in it like UIQ.
Personally I wanted to them take on with webOS or better MeeGo, but let see how much FireFox OS will allow them to go. I am little excited about it even though an year of wait is a long long wait.
16. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Oh but didn't Sony mention that they would only be looking at High End phone customers?
20. Jyakotu (Posts: 829; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I love Sony as a company, in fact they're my favorite electronics company. However, I think it's ironic how they're looking into making a Firefox OS phone, but won't even consider making a Windows Phone. IMO, Windows Phone has more potential to take off. I see Firefox OS as a very niche OS, much like webOS was (admit it, it was a niche OS and very few people owned a Palm Pre/Pixi). But to each their own. Maybe they'll be the first to make a high end Firefox OS phone.
22. scsa852k (Posts: 328; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
PS vs. XBOX feud has led Sony to overlook Windows OS!