Sony cuts 1000 US jobs, puts former Tokyo headquarters on sale
0. phoneArena 28 Feb 2014, 10:22 posted on
According to a WSJ report, Sony is looking to sell its former former headquarters and surrounding buildings in central Tokyo. In addition, Sony Electronics said it plans to cut around 1000 work positions in the USA - a one fifth of the company's planned global reduction of staff for 2014...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Damn that sucks big time to the 1,000 people.
24. emadshiny (Posts: 1135; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Sony or HTC or Apple, it doesn't matter.
He would troll wherever he can.
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
How the hell am I trolling? Re-read my comment again, look at comment #13 and come back and say I'm trolling. Jesus Christ you Sony fanboys are the worst.
28. joey_sfb (Posts: 3003; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
This news really suck!! I love the Sony brand.
36. just_another_random_guy (Posts: 2; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
Me too, sad to hear this news. I have Sony playstation, sony player, sony earphone and sony Xperia phone. I hope Sony Company will raise again to it's glorious days again like in the past....
18. Finalflash (Posts: 1802; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Well at some point you have to realize you can't just keep carrying everything. They have to streamline fast now and hopefully it leads to better and more innovative products in the future. Less bureaucracy will also help make things less confusing and those that lose their jobs, hopefully, are able to find something else quickly enough.
4. papss (unregistered)
They also laid off many of there gaming studio employees. Not good for these guys.. They better start changing their business model.. I'd love to have a Sony phone on ATT or better yet a wp8 Sony phone on ATT
11. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Or maybe they should stop with the 6 months flagship cycle and change it to one year, one flagship; they should also release their phones to the four major carriers in the US.
26. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
They'd probably revert back to longer product cycles when their market share improve.
6. Taters (Posts: 3261; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I love Sony tv's. Not sure who I'll go with next then if they stop making them. LG or Panasonic I guess....
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
At my job we have a SEIKI 4K 50" TV for $599... SEIKI is doing big things lately.
14. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2956; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I think Sharp has the best TV's. They have just ASTONISHING picture quality!
8. umerkhan (Posts: 19; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
Really Sony yew are in troble these days,,i'm surprised about TV's those are not struggling,Bravia is still one of the top notch TV Line of all time..
9. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sadly, they sold Vaio. Vaio laptops are a beautiful masterpiece.
12. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
1,000 peoples lose their jobs and you think it's funny? What kind of evil pathetic animal are you?
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I don't care who it is, but losing your job is probably one of the worst things that can happen to anyone. Anyone who finds this funny need to re-evaluate their life.
20. jexxx (Posts: 48; Member since: 23 Feb 2014)
Nah, Samsung will be more than happy to hire them
37. JunitoNH (Posts: 927; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
I don't think is funny. However, if people keep purchasing and supporting foreign (I know Sony is not an American Co.) products/companies, money goes overseas, is that simple. Why, personally was saddened by the sale of Motorola.
35. givemespecs (unregistered)
You get what you pay for and with Sony you get top quality
16. joonlin (Posts: 7; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
I believe Sony is a good company. Hope Sony will keep improving and get back everything they lost.
21. LikeMyself (Posts: 287; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
Smartphones killing conventional world!
Revolutionary apocalyptical world in the near future! So excited about this new world!
33. givemespecs (unregistered)
What the hell are you doing on here if that's what you think? Weirdo!!!
22. Mike604 (Posts: 4; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Sony sure is struggling.. I guess the ps4 I is doing great but everything else, not so much..
34. givemespecs (unregistered)
No s*it Sherlock
29. techperson211 (Posts: 678; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
1000 jobs . Prayers to those people . Hopefully they can get a new job immediately .
31. Odiin (Posts: 272; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
Trinitron Walkman Player, oh those days....
Really sad to hear. Sony even though you are struggling you still have such a strong base, sincere fan following, premium brand value, technology n resources. Why you are not utilizing all these?
I'm also criticize Samsung for its designs, plastics, copy....whatever mistakes wrong things with the Samsung, but when it comes to dedication, aggressiveness, marketing, product networking, retail channels, adopting technologies and utilizing resources you have lot to learn from Sammy.
All the best Sony. Do well.