Sony could supply front-facing camera modules for Apple's next-gen iPhones
Sony, which competes with Apple in the smartphone and tablet markets, is already supplying camera components for some iPhone models, including the current 5S flagship - which uses a Sony-made CMOS sensor for its rear camera. Nikkei notes that Apple likely receives more than 100 million CMOS sensors from Sony in a single year. If sales of upcoming iPhones go well, the number might grow to 200 million a year, the publication adds.
Nikkei mentions that Apple is “also likely” to choose Sony as supplier of front-facing camera components for upcoming devices. Both the iPhone 5S and 5C feature 1.2MP front-facing sensors, so Apple might want to significantly improve its FaceTime camera offering with the next-gen smartphone models.
Of course, before we see what Apple has for us in 2015, the Cupertino company should introduce two new iPhones in the second half of this year. It's said that both new handsets would sport large displays, of at least 4.5 inches and 5 inches, respectively. They could be released under the iPhone 6 moniker - unless Apple decides to take a new approach on naming its phones (but we doubt this will happen).
7. vincelongman (Posts: 2921; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Sony has been making the main camera for Apple (and Samsung and LG) for the past few year, wouldn't be surprised if the next iPhone also had a Sony made camera.
23. Astoni (Posts: 623; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Wish they would put their best cameras on their own phones intead of others.. since z1 had a pretty bad camera.
24. vincelongman (Posts: 2921; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Actually 1/2.3" sensor in the Z1 is vastly superior compared to the 1/3.2" sensor they provide for the 5S, G2 and Note 3.
However it's not just that is not all about the camera sensor. There also other very important factors, such as it's lens and software.
The Z1's lens is also very good, its F2.0, most other lens are F2.2 or F2.4 (generally lower aperture is better)
From what I've seen the Z1 is basically as good as the 5s and G2 (not quite as good the 1020). But it should be better.
I think its their software which is letting down the camera.
25. Astoni (Posts: 623; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Vince, i said camera so it's all around. that includes the sh*ttiest 2.0 mpx front i've ever used and the Okay back camera that is 20.7 mpx. but as you said it needs some care on the software side since it tends to "beautify" every pic even if that feature is off.. and its annoying as f*ck.
26. vincelongman (Posts: 2921; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Yea I've heard a lot of reviewers saying Sony "over-processes" their photos.
Also good point about the front camera, they're quite.
I think they'll improve a lot soon, because of how popular selfies have become haha
20. SonyPS4 (Posts: 311; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Sony also supply main lens for current model so i think this one also same. Actually majority high end phone use Sony lens.
2. wilsong17 (unregistered)
the ifan will be like apple made it ajahajaja
3. apple4never (Posts: 1046; Member since: 08 May 2013)
lol then that talk trash about the sony camera but don't realize their iPhones are using one
12. KingaSpades (Posts: 45; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
The hardware is only one part of the formula. Without the right software you end up with an S4.
13. apple4never (Posts: 1046; Member since: 08 May 2013)
true that but crappy hardware and good software isn't much better, good job on the hardware front by sony and kudos to apple for the great camera software
17. Tommy1960i (Posts: 106; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
All apple fans need : A bigger screen
Widgets and themes
18. SayMobile (Posts: 72; Member since: 29 Jan 2014)
are u insane ! whats wrong with u. The Galaxy S4 has he Best 13 megapixel camera on a smartphone. Its the software optimaztion of samsung which made it better than the LG G2 and Xperia Z and on par with the Z1.
21. androtaku (Posts: 230; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
PA blind test shows your S4 is inferior to that of Z1 and iphone
9. KingaSpades (Posts: 45; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
That was beyond corny while simultaneously beyond stupid. Also lame, corny, and old. Congrats. Your fathers shame is now understood.
11. apple4never (Posts: 1046; Member since: 08 May 2013)
wow, you know how to use big kid words, how long did it take you to learn how to spell simultaneously?
14. KingaSpades (Posts: 45; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
Not nearly as long as it's gonna take you to stop that corny crap from spilling out if your mouth apparently.
15. apple4never (Posts: 1046; Member since: 08 May 2013)
hmm, i don't know where your from, but in my country crap dosent spill from peoples mouthes, unless mine and your definition of "mouth" is different but you know
5. SAO101789 (Posts: 123; Member since: 10 Feb 2014)
I have the iPhone 5S and this is lame. No offense but talking about 2015 this early is idiotic.
6. Edward_bly (Posts: 274; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
Buying flexible displays from LG and now possibly getting front facing cameras from Sony? Apple step up your game.
8. banglazbless (Posts: 63; Member since: 05 Feb 2014)
Can apple build anything? Every part of the iPhone came from someone else and the iphonies thinks their phone is superior to the rest.
10. jraympres2 (Posts: 12; Member since: 29 Jan 2014)
iPhone made by Samsung, LG, Qualcomm, Skyworks, Broadcomm, Elpida, Hynix, Foxconn etc...
Design by Apple
19. SonyPS4 (Posts: 311; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Toshiba, ARM, Sharp, JDI, Murata, Infinion, Micron and Sony also provide battery