Sony announces new waterproof Xperia ZR
0. phoneArena 13 May 2013, 00:12 posted on
Late last month, word leaked about Sony putting together a waterproof (well, highly water resistant)...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Bigger brother of Xperia V? Just look at the rear side of the phone.
By the way, well done Sony! Not bad!
33. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
They should've call it Xperia ZV, not ZR.
2. flexile (Posts: 77; Member since: 03 Jun 2012)
I think that the pricing will define the success of this phone, I mean, Xperia Z or ZL are out there with bigger displays. There's also Xperia SP offering an incredible performance for cheap.
13. pyradark (Posts: 804; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
with cool lights at the buttom, that will attract millions of teens out there
38. lovefist (unregistered)
it will probably be cheaper than the Z, cause of the downgrade of screen res. maybe a few more bucks less than the ZL
4. thunderising (Posts: 230; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
^^ Of course it is. Priced between Xperia SP and ZL according to my sources (and some common sense)
11. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Your source and your common sense is totally wayward!
This thing is going to cost more than the SP. It has some advantages against the SP...like the IP55 and IP58 and the 13megapixel Sony Exmore camera.
17. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Oh, sorry man! Made a complete fool of myself there. I thought i read you write it'll cost between the SP and SL...:P
Your common sense and source is totally right! :D
5. lovefist (unregistered)
ahh good thing they added 2gb ram and removable 2300mah battery. was about the get the xperia sp but this one seems a better buy.
btw: that mint color is hot! also the white one *giggity*
6. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Same crap TFT screen ?
Oh why oh why?
8. pyradark (Posts: 804; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Lol!! they take out one layer on screen to produce more very good image
check that on GSMarena
32. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
Super AMOLED has quite a few problems. Sony's mobile Bravia Engine 2 should be able to make up with that.
7. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
i just hate TFT ..... really annoying viewing angles ..... remaining fone is good
25. Igneel (unregistered)
IPS is also TFT. Get your facts straight. It's Sony's TFT that doesn't have much viewing angle. But I read somewhere that the screen has improved a bit more on the ZL compare to Z... Can't confirm it though
45. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
There's a new software update that increases the contrast and makes the colors sharper, more realistic and improves the viewing angle. The ZL probably got that already. I have the Z, and waiting for the great update!
10. AshishRomea (Posts: 145; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
so this fits perfectly b/w the Xperia Z & Xperia SP ! Fair enough
Xperia Z - XperiaZR - Xperia SP - Xperia SL - Xperia L
strong line up indeed !
12. pyradark (Posts: 804; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Sony is doing very great on each line Up
Z - Undefeated Design w/ Water/Dust Resistance
ZL - SideKick of Z but super compact than other 5inch.
SP - Cool illuminating lights
L - Focus as a Sharp Shooter Camera Smartphone
ZR - High Water Resistance w/ shutter button for underwater shots.
This is what i called having a unique features or hardware on each phone, thay may look the same but not on its internal/external.
30. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
Yeah, a lot better than samsung, which has one million choices but they are basically the same. Why not let us just choose each piece of hardware ourselves?
34. rgxVOiD (Posts: 437; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Since you posted that, L is the low end, ZL must means lower Z. SP is the combination of SPU. Then what's R in ZR?
37. pyradark (Posts: 804; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Xperia R is quite interesting. It must be a 5in phone with same resistant as zr but focus as a tought phone!! Guessing
14. Samir_Maric (Posts: 75; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
Sony is to introduce more new xperia devices on may 15th it's interesting to see new devices
15. oister85 (Posts: 432; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
8gb of internal Memory, did I read that wrong.
18. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
What's wrong with that as long as the memory is expandable??
28. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
8 GB of memory is actually a large con for many of the smartphones nowerdays, cause the UI and android software eat up A LOT of space! Many S III mini users have complained that they end up having only 4.4 GB of memory left after the UI and android system. Not only that, android 4.1 and after doesn't allow you to move apps to SD cards. Go for the Xperia Z.
35. oister85 (Posts: 432; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
8gb of memory is deal breaker. What is wrong with sony or there is 16-32 around that they didn't mention.
46. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
If you wish to get 16 GB, wait for the Xperia A. Pretty much the same features but little extras (I'm not going into details) and 16GB memory. I think its price would be between the ZR and ZL
16. Andrewtst (Posts: 461; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
I believe this phone will be price lower than ZL and surely higher than SP. In between them.
Great release, if Malaysia price around RM 1,599.00 then I am gonna suggest my sister buy it.
Currently SP is RM 1,299.00, ZL is RM 1,899.00 and Z is RM 2,199.00
19. najib1312 (Posts: 102; Member since: 08 May 2013)
If u buy an AP set, u could save fortune buddy. My friend bought Xperia Z for RM1690. Xperia ZL costs RM1590 & Xperia SP is RM1189.
Checkout lelong.my for latest prices........I myself am planning to buy Xperia SP by next month.
20. fluke (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Apr 2013)
The only crap thing about this phone is the flip covering the headphone jack for waterproofing, otherwise its just awesome, and its going to be released this quarter according to this press release!!! blogs.sonymobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Xperia_ZR_press_release.pdf
21. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
damn if i'm not waiting for Sony Honami i'll replace my GS2 with Xperia ZR
22. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
if Xperia ZR use the same display like Xperia TX or even better and Sony have fix the camera software i'll get this phone
23. jibraihimi (Posts: 712; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
So Sony one-up's the Samsung in term of mini version of their flagship device. This Sony xperia Z mini(Xperia zr) is better in term of specs. than Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini.
27. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
Go Sony! This is officially the Xperia Z mini!
39. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Is sony targeting the sea creature market or something? Waterproof is cute but they must put much more effort in optimizing their ui. Home screen and app drawer lags.. period...
47. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
Great UI often comes with the price of losing RAM memory. Actually, Sony pulled it off great. Very cool and detailed UI without eating a lot of space. Look at the S4. If you put the UI into some other phone it would lag like it's nobody's business. Sony managed to compress its UI to the extent of having nearly 12 GB left for customers, while S 4 users get the worst, only 9 GB left for them.
40. android-jamaica (Posts: 4; Member since: 13 May 2013)
r is for the REDUCTION in screen size!
41. buccob (Posts: 1969; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Why only 8GB of internal Storage... no thanks... I will keep my 16GB Acro S for a while...
I am not going to place my pictures on the microSD and I dont like to delete my set of favorite apps in order to release internal storage...
Please Sony don't be cheap and go with a 16Gb internally as a minimum...
43. BartSimpson (Posts: 8; Member since: 14 May 2013)
hey suckers i got a feelin dat the battery is a removable one. if u dont believe me click the link below nd see the last one 'in the kit' column.
(delete the space in the URL as i cant paste urls now)
44. SirSidneyRuffDiamond (Posts: 7; Member since: 14 May 2013)
The Sony Xperia ZR is shown on the Sony Mobile GB website as 'coming soon'. Looks good but will it be trouble-free?
The Xperia V that was released in many countries over Christmas (but not Britain) had loads of problems, and in fact there are also many reports of problems on the Xperia Z too. These can be viewed on the 'Sony Xperia Support Forum' - just do a web search.
Also of note is that it seems certain now that Samsung will soon announce a water and dust resistant version of Galaxy S4. HTC do the 5 inch Butterfly yet told me in an email that they had no plans to release it in Britain...so it makes protected smartphones but refuses to sell them to some markets, work that out!