Sony aims to become world's third largest phone maker, grab 20% of Android sales
0. phoneArena 03 Oct 2013, 09:17 posted on
Sony Mobile Communications is a brand new company formed after the Sony Ericsson split, but it has the Sony brand and the ambition to become the world’s third largest phone maker “not in 10 years’ time, but a lot sooner”…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Good luck Sony, I love Xperia.
2. Dastrix (unregistered)
Xperia is awesome! Sony is awesome! GO SONYYYY!!
4. HansGoneInsane (unregistered)
Sony is a great company. I wish them much success. I hope they kick Samsung's butt so that it hurts! Samsung tries to destroy innovators like Sony. Its time to strike back :)
12. Dastrix (unregistered)
So true mate! Sony makes better phones than Samsung for sure. I wish Sony beats Samsung one day. It's enervating to see that innovative companies like Sony do not get the recognition they deserve in the market while Plastisung eats up the good OEMs. Now Sony and others suffer because of that... It's really sad that HTC is on downfall. Where's our world heading?
25. dmn666 (Posts: 244; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
It's time for Sony to stoop down and copy from poopsung for the first time- increase your marketing budget. More importantly, they need to have their phones offered by more carriers in the US. It's a huge market they can't ignore anymore if they seriously want that much market share. Good luck.
33. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
They certainly shouldn't copy design, but marketing, yes, prices, yes, and they NEED to stop ignoring the US. I honestly find this article kind of funny because as much as I like Sony, they just aren't doing this right...
36. buccob (Posts: 2572; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I agree completely with you... Sony can make great designs, beautiful phones, useful software... But their marketing is lackluster... They need to create awareness...
26. rd_nest (Posts: 1593; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Typical butt hurt fanboys. They deserve what they get. Nothing more, nothing less.
Do you want to talk about number of patents each of them have and R&D budget?
28. dmn666 (Posts: 244; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Aww - number of patents? Educate yourself on patents first. Companies like poopsung set an annual patent target for its employees and end up with a pile of sh*t every year. Their patents are so useless that that can't even defend against Apple that started making phones few years ago and Samsung's R&D budget is a bigger joke that mostly includes the cost of making dumb manufacturing factories. Wise up, little fool.
30. jdoee100 (Posts: 334; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
"I hope they kick Samsung's butt so that it hurts!" "Plastisung" "butt hurt fanboys" "poopsung"
Is this a contest to see who can be more childish?
7. KParks23 (Posts: 627; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
They need a phone on Verizon.. So i can buy it!
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Patience is what you need. If you really can't wait, buy it unlocked.
17. JS132 (Posts: 9; Member since: 03 Oct 2013)
I would also like to see a Sony phone on Verizon, but they do not currently offer a phone, unlocked or not, that is compatible with Verizon's network.
18. KParks23 (Posts: 627; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
I dont think the unlocked phones will work on Verizon.. Id be buying full retail to keep my unlimited data anyway.
3. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
with phones like Z1 and Z1f (or mini), it can do it, but LG will do it sooner due its intial popularity and you'll find yourself replacing Apple or Samsung later on.
5. UnlimitedSkye03 (Posts: 103; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Sony just got its mojo back :) they can do it :)
6. seefo21 (Posts: 8; Member since: 15 Oct 2012)
Sony is a great company but it UI need more work its kind of ...... over dark
9. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
IMO, There's nothing wrong with Sony's UI. But I hope they will change their boot up animation, I'm not saying that it's bad, but I just want to see something new. I hope they will make a new boot up animation in Android 4.4 KitKat update.
Here is the current boot up animation on Xperia devices.
29. DONUT (Posts: 425; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
i think Sony's UI is one of the best out there, simple and nice. the "darkness" i find, adds character
47. DONUT (Posts: 425; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
not really, Sony doesnt use amoled screens for their phones, so the battery drain is the same from the display whether its white or black background
8. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
If they build phones like they do tablets, bring it on. I own the Z tablet and am completely impressed, don't own a Sony phone so not sure.
11. thachlel (Posts: 75; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Sony android phones are pretty nice design but only thing I don't like is its LCD screen is looks gray when a little angle tilt. Screen is most important to me!!!!!
13. boosook (Posts: 1437; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
So now we know it probably happened like Microsoft with Nokia: Sony made the joint venture with Ericsson, but their plan was, from the start, to buy the whole business.
That's why they didn't give SE their best technologies: they weren't interested on SE succes. Quite the contrary: they were probably hoping for a failure.
Unfortunately, there were some smart guys in Ericsson, who even managed to survive the iphone earthquake. So it took them 10 years to buy them...
27. Finalflash (Posts: 3129; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Negative commander. They made this pact way back before modern smartphones. The deal was great for the pre-smartphone era as it made them one of the best in the phone business. Unfortunately the limitations did not translate well to the modern smartphone game and actually haemorrhaged them. So now they have adapted it to the new model (after a very big restructuring of the main company) and are hopefully back in action.
But MS are still A-holes, they meant to do that.
14. Apoorvtheman (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Xperias have all the practical features not the bloatware like Samsung but they need ti improve camera and have stylus software like galaxy note and they are the new winners
15. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
I'd love to see Sony Z phones and Tablets on "Big Red"
16. DLanor1107 (Posts: 31; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
elegance + innovation + powerhouse = SONY
19. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
+ lag + bad viewing angles + horrible camera post-processing. I had my fair share of negative Xperience with the Z so I know exactly what I'm talking about, it's cool to have waterproof coating, but there are faster, smoother and far better handsets out there with more screen dominance and better utilization of Sony's excellent Exmor RS.