Sony aims to become world's third largest phone maker, grab 20% of Android sales
0. phoneArena 03 Oct 2013, 09:17 posted on
Sony Mobile Communications is a brand new company formed after the Sony Ericsson split, but it has the Sony brand and the ambition to become the world’s third largest phone maker “not in 10 years’ time, but a lot sooner”…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Good luck Sony, I love Xperia.
2. Dastrix (Posts: 620; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Xperia is awesome! Sony is awesome! GO SONYYYY!!
4. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 401; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
Sony is a great company. I wish them much success. I hope they kick Samsung's butt so that it hurts! Samsung tries to destroy innovators like Sony. Its time to strike back :)
12. Dastrix (Posts: 620; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
So true mate! Sony makes better phones than Samsung for sure. I wish Sony beats Samsung one day. It's enervating to see that innovative companies like Sony do not get the recognition they deserve in the market while Plastisung eats up the good OEMs. Now Sony and others suffer because of that... It's really sad that HTC is on downfall. Where's our world heading?
25. dmn666 (Posts: 202; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
It's time for Sony to stoop down and copy from poopsung for the first time- increase your marketing budget. More importantly, they need to have their phones offered by more carriers in the US. It's a huge market they can't ignore anymore if they seriously want that much market share. Good luck.
33. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
They certainly shouldn't copy design, but marketing, yes, prices, yes, and they NEED to stop ignoring the US. I honestly find this article kind of funny because as much as I like Sony, they just aren't doing this right...
36. buccob (Posts: 1564; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I agree completely with you... Sony can make great designs, beautiful phones, useful software... But their marketing is lackluster... They need to create awareness...
26. rd_nest (Posts: 824; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Typical butt hurt fanboys. They deserve what they get. Nothing more, nothing less.
Do you want to talk about number of patents each of them have and R&D budget?
28. dmn666 (Posts: 202; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Aww - number of patents? Educate yourself on patents first. Companies like poopsung set an annual patent target for its employees and end up with a pile of sh*t every year. Their patents are so useless that that can't even defend against Apple that started making phones few years ago and Samsung's R&D budget is a bigger joke that mostly includes the cost of making dumb manufacturing factories. Wise up, little fool.
30. jdoee100 (Posts: 313; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
"I hope they kick Samsung's butt so that it hurts!" "Plastisung" "butt hurt fanboys" "poopsung"
Is this a contest to see who can be more childish?
7. KParks23 (Posts: 462; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
They need a phone on Verizon.. So i can buy it!
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Patience is what you need. If you really can't wait, buy it unlocked.
17. JS132 (Posts: 7; Member since: 03 Oct 2013)
I would also like to see a Sony phone on Verizon, but they do not currently offer a phone, unlocked or not, that is compatible with Verizon's network.
18. KParks23 (Posts: 462; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
I dont think the unlocked phones will work on Verizon.. Id be buying full retail to keep my unlimited data anyway.
3. amansingal14 (Posts: 297; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
with phones like Z1 and Z1f (or mini), it can do it, but LG will do it sooner due its intial popularity and you'll find yourself replacing Apple or Samsung later on.
5. UnlimitedSkye03 (Posts: 29; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Sony just got its mojo back :) they can do it :)
6. seefo21 (Posts: 8; Member since: 15 Oct 2012)
Sony is a great company but it UI need more work its kind of ...... over dark
9. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
IMO, There's nothing wrong with Sony's UI. But I hope they will change their boot up animation, I'm not saying that it's bad, but I just want to see something new. I hope they will make a new boot up animation in Android 4.4 KitKat update.
Here is the current boot up animation on Xperia devices.
29. DONUT (Posts: 307; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
i think Sony's UI is one of the best out there, simple and nice. the "darkness" i find, adds character
47. DONUT (Posts: 307; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
not really, Sony doesnt use amoled screens for their phones, so the battery drain is the same from the display whether its white or black background
8. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
If they build phones like they do tablets, bring it on. I own the Z tablet and am completely impressed, don't own a Sony phone so not sure.
11. thachlel (Posts: 75; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Sony android phones are pretty nice design but only thing I don't like is its LCD screen is looks gray when a little angle tilt. Screen is most important to me!!!!!
13. boosook (Posts: 1090; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
So now we know it probably happened like Microsoft with Nokia: Sony made the joint venture with Ericsson, but their plan was, from the start, to buy the whole business.
That's why they didn't give SE their best technologies: they weren't interested on SE succes. Quite the contrary: they were probably hoping for a failure.
Unfortunately, there were some smart guys in Ericsson, who even managed to survive the iphone earthquake. So it took them 10 years to buy them...
27. Finalflash (Posts: 1908; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Negative commander. They made this pact way back before modern smartphones. The deal was great for the pre-smartphone era as it made them one of the best in the phone business. Unfortunately the limitations did not translate well to the modern smartphone game and actually haemorrhaged them. So now they have adapted it to the new model (after a very big restructuring of the main company) and are hopefully back in action.
But MS are still A-holes, they meant to do that.
14. Apoorvtheman (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Xperias have all the practical features not the bloatware like Samsung but they need ti improve camera and have stylus software like galaxy note and they are the new winners
15. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
I'd love to see Sony Z phones and Tablets on "Big Red"
16. DLanor1107 (Posts: 31; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
elegance + innovation + powerhouse = SONY
19. _Bone_ (Posts: 2140; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
+ lag + bad viewing angles + horrible camera post-processing. I had my fair share of negative Xperience with the Z so I know exactly what I'm talking about, it's cool to have waterproof coating, but there are faster, smoother and far better handsets out there with more screen dominance and better utilization of Sony's excellent Exmor RS.
20. ryq24 (Posts: 535; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Good luck and hope Sony succeed but to be honest, 20% ! I dont think so. Sony products are always more expensive than others and Competition will be even harder as Chinese maker like Hwawei, lenovo, zte and others are coming out with cheaper phones with great features. And Indian companies also.
21. kanagadeepan (Posts: 722; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
With SAMMY continuing to lock down their phones based on their region, its a HUGE opportunity for SONY...
All the BEST SONY.....!!!!!
Note2 is my Last SAMSU(K phone...
23. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
samsuck!!!??? really is that how low you are!!! LOL
22. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
BIG FAN of Samsung Here! And I Admit, I like Sony Phones too. They have the "PREMIUM LOOK" and their Designs are Awesome. :) I just Love SONY AND SAMSUNG! If ever My Dear Samsung Dropped to Number 2, I hope that Sony will be the Number 1! SONY SAMSUNG FOR THE WIN!
24. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
With their so slow _current_software_updates philosophy?
32. papss (unregistered)
Problem is that they ignore the US, if they don't change the way they are marketing I can't see them going much of anywhere.
34. protozeloz (Posts: 5381; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
They can do that... For for starters they need to fix their UX mainly it's UI
35. irellemot (Posts: 67; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
To do this, Sony will have to get on carriers in the US like Sprint and Verizon, and stop focusing on GSM networks only.
37. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
I hope the meet their goals. I really do like what I see from them.
38. vikingsfootball09 (Posts: 67; Member since: 02 Oct 2013)
how the heck they aim to be worlds 3rd largest phone maker...when they dont even make all of their flagship/top of the line smartphones available to all u.s carriers, needless to mention worldwide? the xperia z i only see available with tmobile...and the xperia z ultra is not even listed in any of the big 4 u.s. carriers.
if sony wants to be as big as they want to be, then they need to start making their smartphones much more available worldwide than it is right now...cause man, i'd like to get a hold of the xperia z ultra to use with tmobile.
and no, im not looking to buy an xperia z ultra anywhere else other than at my local tmobile store...ive done that with the mega 6.3 that i bought from att...i had it unlocked, only to find out that it doesnt do 4g/4g lte with my tmobile sim card, it only uses edge, and its freeekin slow. i sold it the next day.
44. dmn666 (Posts: 202; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I doubt tmobile store will have it. You can get it from newegg. C6806 model will support both Tmob/ATT LTE &3G and c6802 will support both carriers 3G. If you switch your sim cards frequently, stay away from carrier phones. They are intentionally crippled to not work on other networks. Sometimes the radio is missing the support, sometimes you have to flash the baseband to make it fully work on other carriers. Becomes a nightmare if you switch sim cards frequently. Unlocked phones are the way to go, also costs less than carrier phones (assuming you're paying the no-contract price)
39. amats69 (Posts: 1129; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i support you sony!asde from htc you are one of the oem's in android family that makes phones with beautiful build and with quality!
41. Professor (Posts: 192; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
Sadly I doubt they will be able to increase their share even to 10%. And I don't mean in a short time. I mean even in a 5yr period...
First... Well at least in USA is a miracle to find a Sony phone that works in Verizon, Sprint, or even T-mobile. Some of them works in T-mobile but only in 2G speed (if you can call 2G a speed since 2G is basically useless), since most of them works in 1,900MHZ frequency only and T-mobile network needs 1,700MHZ phones to work at 3G. Most, if not all, only works in 4G if you are using AT&T network.
Second... Sony phones are usually expensive. If they want to sell more phones than the competition they have to sell them much lower than them. Not just at the same price.
42. dmn666 (Posts: 202; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Things have changed quite a bit ago . All sony LTE models (6*06) come with both AT&T & Tmobile LTE support and the HSPA models (6*02) models support both ATT and Tmobile HSPA/3G
45. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
SONY needs to do some more work here in the U.S. putting their phone on every carrier.
46. Shrihari (Posts: 79; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
All the best sony..you can do it..and i request you to please change the ui..