Sony Xperia ion is coming to AT&T on June 24th for the killer price of $99.99
0. phoneArena 14 Jun 2012, 08:30 posted on
You might want to circle this down on your calendar, because the Xperia ion is slated to officially launch on AT&T starting on June 24! Just a tiny bit over 1 ½ weeks away, AT&T customers looking to try some other high-end Android smartphone should take notice...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Holy shyt!! Only 99$!!?? My prediction came true. Pay this month bill n buy the phone!! Thanks a bunch SONY!
6. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 805; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
haha, I bet your jizzing right now after an effin long w8. . .
39. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I should become a analyst. and predict things that would actually happened.
25. schecter7 (Posts: 99; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Does anyone know the no-contract price? X10 was $350 at launch (without contract) - which was unbelievable. Can I hope for something similar :P?
2. wendygarett (unregistered)
5. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 451; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
wow, for a premium brand like sony :O shocking!
7. BabyWade (Posts: 42; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
Smart move by AT&T since the SG3 is gonna be $199. If the problem with the capactive keys is fixed & the battery life is good I might just pass on the SG3 & go for the Ion but it all depends on the functionality between the two.
26. schecter7 (Posts: 99; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Agreed. Amazon would price both even lower as I've seen in the past - GS3 ($150/$100) vs Ion ($50/$0). Either way, it's gonna be sweet :D
36. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Babywade. I'm buying this cause it have 1900 mah battery if i remember. plus the camera is better than SG camera 12mp. BEST PART IS IT's PLAY STATION Certified. not to mention its a sexier design than the GS III
8. amjohnson2005 (Posts: 8; Member since: 16 May 2012)
ME!!!!! thank you Sony...finally a non-samsung phone with LTE and expandable memory! and nice sweet price indeed...dang it...i'm on vacation...so now i have to wait until June 30th...oh sweet anticipation...come to momma...my husband will be happy that i will be happy...finally...anyone know of the physical specs?
12. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 805; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
40. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
getting mine next sunday, payday thursday. save money
20. jacky_luvsjrod (Posts: 53; Member since: 26 May 2010)
this is better thn the razr cuz it has a 720 p screen and a 12mp camera which the razr maxx doesnt iKno cuz my man has the razr maxx.
41. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Thought everyone likes the RAZR and plus Verizon always gets the best phones than AT&T.
22. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
The Droid lineup(Droid4,Incredible,razr,razrmaxx) on verizon makes it close but At&t has the note, skyrocket, lumina, titanII, and One X. that is a legit lineup.
31. snowgator (Posts: 3340; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
And do not forget the Motorola Atrix 3-ish coming soon, which is rumored to be the RAZR HD for AT&T. Great line up.
42. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Never again buy Motorola phones. They only care bout Verizon.
10. yougotkilled1 (Posts: 167; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
1.5ghz duel core, 12mp camera, and 4.6' screen for 100$ on a 2 year contract? Now that's what I call some awesome pricing! It may run gingerbread, but for those specs along with a future ICS update (I'm pretty sure), this phone is a steal!
11. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3037; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Great price, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Sony is releasing a high-end device still running Gingerbread at this point. ICS has been out for almost 8 months. There is no excuse for that & sprinkling a few newer features an old version of the OS just isn't good enough.
37. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
It will get ICS could care less what version as long SONY promise they delivier. they already deliviered ICS for their S, P TABLET & MINI PRO their doing a good job unlike HTC or LG is or Motorola
13. baypkyi (Posts: 8; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
What is the battery capacity? Can it be swapped out or is it an internal battery? Phone looks good, but if it can't last a day, what good is it?
14. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 805; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
If not mistaken I believe its around 1900mAh, and it's removable, battery like remains to be seen though. . .
27. schecter7 (Posts: 99; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
1900 mAh embedded battery with microSD slot. Here is the white paper link:
16. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
When i buy mine ill let u know. What phone do u have now?
29. baypkyi (Posts: 8; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Motorola Bravo and I replace the battery with a spare each day. If I can't have a spare battery, then I will pass.
32. snowgator (Posts: 3340; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
The BRAVO??? You so deserve any phone you want. Not a horrible phone, but not really a good phone either. Hope this meets your needs!!
17. hepresearch (unregistered)
I said before that this would start to happen, but I didn't whole-heartedly believe it at that time. Samsung and HTC get the living snot sued out of them over Android, so their prices go up, and then along comes Sony, who has not been sued nearly as badly or as often, sneaking in high-end Android phones for $100+ less on-contract compared to Samsung and HTC high-end competition. Sony will start to steal away Android share from Samsung and HTC... combined with VZW's new (and much more expensive) shared plans announced a couple days ago, and with Nokia's final suicide stock-plunge, and the announcement of the parting-out of their patent portfolio, today, things are looking wierd, but in a strangely-recognizable and eerily-familiar way...
18. zvadim (Posts: 11; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
S3, Gingerbread, what is this 2011?!
S3+LTE= sucky battery life.
38. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6895; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
720P HD SCREEN 720 FRONT CAM, 1080P HD VIDEO 12MP WITH 1/2 sec shot. s**t is better than some GINGERBREAD phones. also SONY says they don't need a QUAD CORE phone at this time. 99$ is better than spending 200$. Not to mention PLAY STATION CERTIFIED
19. Gcombs (Posts: 133; Member since: 22 Aug 2011)
Wow now this is what I call competitive pricing!
21. issa8 (Posts: 54; Member since: 26 Jul 2011)
Why is Sony always soooooo late? This should have been released months ago!
They did the same thing with the Xperia X10 a couple years ago..cmon Sony! And if you're gonna wait this long to release it, at least put ICS on it!
23. kach22 (Posts: 122; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
I have every reason to believe that launch of this phone going to be delayed as soon it will be found to have infringed some crazy patents. Guess who's going to the court and be a cry baby?
28. hepresearch (unregistered)
No, actually, they won't... and I'll give you a few reasons why:
1) Historically, Apple and Sony have sparred over very little, mostly just disputes over how Sony Entertainment content is treated on iTunes and an occasional spat over one or two patents related to camera tech early on, as I recall, but nothing recent.
2) Apple and Sony were partners with Microsoft and some others in the acquisition of the Nortel portfolio... much to Google's disappointment at the time. Apple and Sony are partners in acquiring patents from third-parties and largely sharing the use of such IP with each other.
3) Apple has refrained from naming Sony as a defendant in any litigation over Android and its implementation... in fact, aside from the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE and possibly Pantech/PCD, they are debatably the only well-known and previously-established Android OEM that has NOT been sued by Apple for Android-related patent infringement.
4) Apple and Sony already have a deep-rooted alliance regarding multimedia content and digital rights, and this alliance has continued to grow in strength over the years. While Apple has been perfectly willing to strain their relationships with larger OEM's like Samsung and LG who in the past provided components for the iPhone and iPad, Apple has not pressed Sony in recent memory.
I see each and all of these reasons as an excuse for Apple to give Sony a pass, and also as a clue to the ultimate fate of Android... becoming a closed OS and ecosystem once it has been stripped from Google and sold to Sony for their use, and for them to license to other OEM's as a fully supported, fully-priced OS. The biggest players in the industry already picked who among them would eat the others when the time came: Nokia, Ericsson, Palm, RIM, and Motorola were slated from the beginning to be eaten, and the three "exalted ones" at the top of the food-chain, the "coronated kings" of all things digital and mobile, are to be Apple, Microsoft, and Sony. These three will continue to do battle with Samsung, LG, HTC, and Google, until they have either been pacified, or been eaten as well.
33. snowgator (Posts: 3340; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Have I mentioned never change, buddy?
It is very interesting the deafening silence when it comes to Sony and litigation, but let's not lose sight of the fact they are not, and have not been, a huge mobile phone player in the last couple years as patent wars have really heated up, which is why it is back to just being Sony instead of Sony-Ericsson. Apple wants the big guns defeated and/or slowed down, and victories over them surely means easy litigation with the other manufacturers.
However, I do not doubt your facts as far as Sony and Apple's dynamic. We will see how the next 12 months go with ICS litigation, WP8 release, and iPhone 5 on the prowl. You get all time "told you so" rights if even HALF your predictions come true....
34. hepresearch (unregistered)
If even HALF of my "predictions" come true, there will be an epic silence of inner-shame from my end... because I will be shutting down my PC and silently running away to hide as fast as my stumpy little legs, calloused heels, and bunion-covered toes will carry me...
24. schecter7 (Posts: 99; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Awesome! - the price is very tempting. Since you guys have already waited, I'd strongly recommend to wait couple more weeks and grab it for $50 or even free from Amazon wireless. That's what I'm gonna do :P
44. dmn666 (Posts: 206; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
It's already been a long wait for me. I'm not sure if I can wait for couple more weeks :P $100 price tag along with 12 MP camera, SD slot, and HD display totally makes up for older S3. It sounds like a much better package than Xperia S. ICS should be out very very soon since it's not a US-only model as it was announced initially. Can't wait :D
30. thachlel (Posts: 75; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
It comes late that is why only 99 but it has s3 instead s4 on HTC 1x btw, love my 1x very much! The ips panel is beautiful! Ez to moderate use battery last me 2 days after a month using n battery break in
35. kcombs (Posts: 254; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
I was excited about Sony making a good phone, and then I saw it's launching with 2.3.. dumb!
43. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
the best looking android phone ive ever seen
45. rayman173 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Hell yeah finally.......so long htc vivid..... now who wants to buy my cases for it?????