Sony Xperia ZR leaks out: a new water resistant quad-core phone
0. phoneArena 26 Apr 2013, 03:11 posted on
The Sony Xperia ZR has just leaked out and it looks like an extremely interesting device featuring a higher level of element resistance than the Xperia Z...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. darkskoliro (Posts: 1065; Member since: 07 May 2012)
ASOP + Good build quality + good screen quality = im buying one for my sister
28. buccob (Posts: 2331; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
lol, know I see the reason for HTC to choose that name... funny :)
31. wendygarett (unregistered)
53. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
No xperia z
36. akki20892 (Posts: 3846; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
well done sony, who want to buy mid range this phone is great.
2. wendygarett (unregistered)
You got to be kidding me... 720p? 4.6inch? Yet s4 pro?
Sony always late when it comes to spec...
4. naveenstuns (Posts: 172; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
tell me one advantage of using processor faster than s4 pro.
5. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
yea - not much of a difference between the S600 and the S4 pro (same GPU still ) , and a lower resolution (720p) might make all the rendering slightly faster than a Quadcore variant with the same chip
8. StreetNerd (Posts: 802; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
thats why i dont rly care bout android and its spec race -_-'
13. roldxx (Posts: 45; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
value dude. sony is selling their 'old' specced devices at same price point with better newer specced devices eg samsung, htc.. though most people wouldnt really care, still if you knew about it it would feel like a rip-off from sony
19. pellegrini (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
Value? And what about the IP55/IP58? Sony seems to be focusing in more durable phones. They can only achieve that with the so called "outdated" specs. It's a trade off that you need to make.
But still, they have a nice design and great camera.
23. roldxx (Posts: 45; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
that is only true for the z series.. not even zl
29. stychill (unregistered)
I agree with you, thats why i can't really consider phones like the blackberry z10 and the iphone s**tty ios aside. It just feels like a rip off, they charge what they do for devices with older specs the same as other manufacturers do with their devices with the latest processors among other things.
6. Dimitru (Posts: 40; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
its not a flagship... just another option to choose..
41. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
+1 for u
9. tiara6918 (Posts: 1948; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Go and consider buying this phone Wendy if the price is right. Then also buy the new HTC one and get rid of your one x. That way you won't look like a fanboy like the customer you saw from your store holding an s3 and s3 mini at the same time
10. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Not everyone likes to hold a giant slab by the ears and look like a douche.
a 4.6' ohone that is compact probably has the same dimensions as a 4.2 or 4.3' phone.
11. jsdechavez (Posts: 712; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
S4 Pro on just 720p? That's blazingly fast!!!
42. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Just like the Optimus G
17. smutty.puppet (Posts: 24; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
dude. think a moment please! thats not a sony's high end device. these specifications are very good for middle range smartphones.
18. smutty.puppet (Posts: 24; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
dude. think a moment please! thats not a sony's high end device. these specifications are very good for middle range smartphones.
20. pyradark (Posts: 820; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Always LATE but with great sales, great design and tougher than any smartphine out there!!!
22. PhoenixWright (Posts: 102; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Although it's always good to hear that you've got the greatest phone in the market to date and you're always updating your phone but the shift from 720p to 1080p on a 4 inch-ish phone is to over rated for me. If you're talking about tablets, then that would be a different story because screen res. would really count in that department.
Gimmicks aside, but would the couple of milliseconds processing time really kill you that much when you compare the latest (ie: S4/iPhone 5/HTC One) with the former (S3/iPhone 4s/Xperia Z).
Heck, Nokia's 3315 can send text msgs to people as fast as smartphones and they don't even have any Cores :D
48. soker38 (Posts: 8; Member since: 22 Mar 2013)
galaxy s4 mini sub hd? qHD de 540 x 960 píxels
patetic 256 píxels
1 giga ram
onlye 2 cores
only 1500 mh batery
no water resistent
samsung never arrive when it comes to spec
54. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Learn too read the title wendy. It says low end water resistant if u want the high end buy the z/zl model. Stop making false statements
3. FlushGordon (unregistered)
SONY needs to overhaul their Xperia TFT screens...it is worst piece of turd that I have ever seen on a premium handset
12. skydroid (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
I agree with you.it is the only thing that lags behind sony smartphones.i cant understand why sony still using poor quality tft screen.i m a xperia user, everything is ok but veiwing angles and contrast is so poor.which i dislike most.hope sony will bring its new ZR or next phones with IPS LCD panels like retina or like S LCD3.i think (IPS LCD+Mobile Bravia Engine)will make sony best screen smart phone.
27. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
But if the rumours was true i think ONE SONY will be the first Real Sony device that fix everything beacuse it will uses
JDI Whitemagic or IZGO both of them have great quality, viewing angle and good power efficiency. But the best news are there is a possibility we will see Triluminos+X-reality on ONE SONY (triluminos better than OLEDs and can twice as power efficient as OLEDs)
Same Audio chip like ''Walkman''
New camera sensor with new image algorithm and directly taking care by Sony camera divison.
Combine all of that with Sony great design,build quality and Snapdragon 800.
It will be one of the best Smartphone ever made.
It sounds like a dream but its not impossible because Sony have the technology. And if Sony make the rumour comes true, One Sony will be my my second device from Sony since my K750i.
32. skydroid (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
yudi where did you get these news?are those really true?thats wonderful.
39. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
You can check Esato forum.
You will also find rumours about
1) Togari (galaxy note 3 competitor)
2) 4-4'3'' inch Ray 3 with sam spec like One Sony (Iphone competitor)
3) 7'' inch xperia tablet
4) 5'' inch entry level mediatek Quad A7 chip with touch pen
38. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
You forgot something -
Carbon Fibre and Glass Body
$1000+ Price Point
Also - Non-JDI / IGZO display. Display will be now completely made by Sony (Not Sony Mob.) and most probably, the Sony Lund (Sweden) branch would handle the software.
New Display from Sony Inc. means viewinng angles and contrast ratios as good as their TVs.
40. skydroid (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
do you people really think that this phone is called ONE SONY?and will get triluminos display with X-Reality??or just rumor and at last we have to see that sony did same with it also like poor tft?
50. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
they call it One Sony or Honami it just code name like XP Z/ZL with Yuga And Odin.
There is big possibility that Sony will use Triluminos on ''One Sony'' insider on Esato said One Sony may use triluminos and if i'm not wrong Sony philipnes also confirm that triluminos will be on Sony mobile devices (i forgot the link).
If they really use triluminos with X-reality it will beat any other display on the market just like Sony TV (the best image quality). But the worst case scenario is Sony will use JDI or IZGO panel so you don't have to worry about display quality.
You don't worry about audio quality we all know ''walkman'' have the best audio quality.
And when Sony camera divison taking care One Sony camera directly the image quality at least will be one off the best on the market (if not the best).
56. skydroid (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
"But the worst case scenario is Sony will use JDI or IZGO panel so you don't have to worry about display quality."i didnt get that, do JDI or IZGO panels have bad quality?i dont know.hope that sony will use triluminos.than my recent next phone will be ONE SONY.cause i m going to purchase 1.
57. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
all of those display is a option that available because we don't know are Triluminos will be ready fo mobile devices, but since Sony philippines also said we will see triluminos on sony devices so i think its all about time.
JDI and IZGO panel quality are good. I don't really know about IZGO but HTC ONE uses panel from JDI.
And if they use JDI Whitemagic it will have 2000:1 contras ratio, about 178 degrees viewing angle and 50% less power. I'm just try to say even if sony not use triluminos, One Sony still have good quality display.
But I also hope they will use Triluminos with X-reality. Combine that with the best audio, camera design and processor.
58. skydroid (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
actually i m not concerned about audio quality because i think audio chip they are going to give is more than enough and i dont listen to music so i do not have to worry about it.but the picture quality does matter.very glad to know that from you.hope so.just waiting.
49. soker38 (Posts: 8; Member since: 22 Mar 2013)
sure ? w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=QEkgcbYTQtw you need glases
61. skydroid (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
Its not about color reproduction.its about the contrast.if you use it in hand than you will be able to find that colors are more bright but did you see the black levels in iphone 5 its just gorgeous but xz it gray.when you see that blacks are gray it will seem to you thats it is low quality panel like chaina.it is because sony calibrated it that way and they increased the gamma level to show bright colors and saturation but increasing gamma makes blacks gray and reduces contrast.thats the point.and in this video you are just waching front veiw if you tilt the phone it will become washed out.this is unxpected in such a premium phone.
14. mydi.maus (unregistered)
NICE but 720x1280 not so good.
25. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3386; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
It is...on a 4.6 incher, it'll have one of the best ppi. You can't just chuck a 720p device saying it's not good cause we now have 5 inched screens with 1080p resolution. The next big thing lower than 1080p is 720p itself.
62. nydrastos (Posts: 4; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
Like you can see a difference between 720p and 1080p on 4.6 inch screen.
16. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Another day.......another water resistant Xperia.........
(Which is a good news, I love it!)
24. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 562; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Tsk.. Those people who say that being a 720p phone sucks are being blinded by gimmicky high resolution displays! Come on! 720p displays was just a year ago and they are still good enough.
30. adrianzka (Posts: 25; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
I'm not getting this phone. Not because i don't like it, but since i just got my note 2 less than 6 months ago. I am really interested in this phone, especially with the ip55/58. I guess i'll be waiting for note 3 :)
33. yadu004 (Posts: 71; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
good phones nonetheless, but Sony should really stop making phones with similar specs. Instead should keep a single phone as a flagship. With the rate they are going now, they are going to make use of all the letters of English alphabet in a couple of years. In kindergarten instead of learning "A" for apple , "B" for ball etc.. it will be xperia a , xperia b etc.. :)
37. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
After alphabets, then numbers!
Sony Xperia 1, Xperia 2, Xperia 3 etc.
I hope Sony won't think about this, how about a Japanese name? For example, Sony Xperia Rakki (Lucky), Xperia Kemono (Beast). Or how about English? Xperia Lucky, Xperia Beast.
43. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
I would be pleased with numbers over alphabets just saying.......also this isn't a flagship device this is just an option for those who want a high end device in a compact form....so great job sony
44. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
We all know that this isn't a flagship device! This is just another option to choose.
But when it released, I will definitely get my hands on it!
Good job Sony, Sony always make me believe!
34. BadAssAbe (Posts: 445; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Sony, please make this phone extremely compact and you will sell millions
45. mui2g6 (Posts: 20; Member since: 12 Dec 2012)
sony is reali blowin da competition away. i'll get one wen it comes out....samsung launched da overpriced plastic SG4 in Ghana today anyway
46. soker38 (Posts: 8; Member since: 22 Mar 2013)
Best than s3,s4 mini , etc etc plastic samsung phones
47. soker38 (Posts: 8; Member since: 22 Mar 2013)
If Xperia z best than s4, Xperia z mini(zr) best s4 mini, is logic
51. mcshank (Posts: 47; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
Wish sony would bring their phones to the US.. The ZL is cool and all but without the elemental resistance's i have no reason to buy it.
52. reten (Posts: 43; Member since: 03 Apr 2013)
SONY phones built quality = Nokia built quality
I am not Trolling
55. yahoo29 (Posts: 71; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
S4 PRO again? I wish sony will use SD600 or 800.