Sony Xperia ZL2 now official in Japan: 5-inch display, Snapdragon 801, 20.7MP camera, and 3GB of RAM
0. phoneArena 08 May 2014, 05:34 posted on
Sony has just officially announced a successor to its ZL-line with the Xperia ZL2 for the local Japanese market. Much alike to the first Xperia ZL, which was a slimmed-down version of the waterproofed Sony Xperia Z, the ZL2 also comes in a more manageable package...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. NotAGeek (Posts: 259; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
So,an xperia Z2 without the waterproofing?
13. Genza (Posts: 370; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
Yeah its IP58 certified
ntent.com/translate_c?depth=1& nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com &sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.so nymobile.co.jp/xperia/au/sol25 /spec/spec.html&usg=ALkJrhgy5b YHQasTy7wMGzJCRUNV4MX1GQ
15. PunyPoop (Posts: 750; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
=woOcmHVfU4Myes it is waterproof!
21. vincelongman (Posts: 2667; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I'm kind of disappointed its 137 x 72 x 10.8 mm, the original was 131.6 x 69.8 x 9.8 mm
But the ZL2 does have much better specs than the original
And 137 x 72 mm is much easier to use with one hand compared the phablet sized Z2 (146.8 x 73.3)
39. buccob (Posts: 2011; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I am sad that Sony isn't offering IR blasters in their phones anymore... only on tablets...
Am I wrong?
36. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7030; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Just without the glass body. I don't think SONY shouldn't release too many models because we don't know if they will recieve the updates. Plus lot people are still complaining on the SP
7. Genza (Posts: 370; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
No its Xperia ZL with 1/2.3" sensor, 3000 mAh battery, SD801 and IP58.
2. limporgyuk (Posts: 264; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
Very tempting, held off buying the M8 until the G3 was released, now there's this and the M8 prime. Patience
3. gigaraga (Posts: 1426; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
More of the same? Who would even look at this? Z1 but slimmer bezels and SD801? What was Sony thinking?
4. tech2 (Posts: 2980; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yup. Plus that slimmer bezels comes at an expense of smaller battery and increased thickness. No point of this phone really.
29. buccob (Posts: 2011; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I would rather have this ZL2 than the Z1 or even the Z2... I prefer the plastic build over the glass, cracking-prone and bending-prone... go see in the forums...
Also I was wating for a Compact version of the Z2, but this might be small enough for me...
6. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
The same amount of people who will buy S5 mini when it is a rebranded S3. Taste and preferences, some may prefer a slimmer bezels and a different design from the Z1/2.
8. lakshman5060 (Posts: 3; Member since: 22 Apr 2014)
Please friends help me out I'm planning to buy HTC one m8 is it gud camera worst or best one doubt or which phone
10. cyborg009 (Posts: 96; Member since: 17 Sep 2011)
I love sony but that's a hideous looking back!
11. SonyPS4 (Posts: 308; Member since: 21 May 2013)
It is waterproof according to source.
Basically this is smaller Xperia Z2 with smaller display, bit smaller battery, plastic back and bigger internal storage 32GB. Still got stereo speaker and noise cancelling function.
33. buccob (Posts: 2011; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Thank you! just what I wanted to know!
Hopefully the plastic is as good as the one on my Acro S... This phone just climbed to the top of my list of "next device"
14. SonyPS4 (Posts: 308; Member since: 21 May 2013)
This is probably another Japan only model. Z2 is not available in Japan so they get this one instead.
16. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
OG Zl was looking great when i held it infact better than Z. But this one is fugly and thick atleast in the renders.
19. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
It has less bezels then the Z but to thick
22. vincelongman (Posts: 2667; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Unfortunately the ZL2 (137 x 72 x 10.8 mm) has bigger bezels then the original ZL (131.6 x 69.8 x 9.8 mm)
38. buccob (Posts: 2011; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Yes but I am willing to sacrifice a little of thiness for IP58 certification, 20mp camera and stereo speakers...
24. vuyonc (Posts: 700; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
This'll probably be Japan-only as not to cramp the Z2's style internationally. But dang this would kill pretty much any other flagship at the moment.
27. SonyPS4 (Posts: 308; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Yes same like Z2. All mid and high end Sony smartphone this year using IPS.
31. mokhtar (Posts: 389; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
sony ... high specs for all ... that's what i'am talking about
35. 0kax0el0 (Posts: 66; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
I think 5" is the perfect size, at least for me, I've gone from 4" all the way up to 6" phones in the las year, diferent brands, diferent OS, so this 5" with top specs is quite appealling.