Sony Xperia Z2 review Q&A: ask your questions here
1. jellmoo (Posts: 725; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
When it comes to the camera, how does the speed compare to that of the Galaxy S5? From focus to capture, does it match the speed of the S5 and provide nice quality shots when doing so?
47. maherk (Posts: 1367; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I have the Galaxy S5, I love it's camera but I also love the Z2 camera app and all the creativity it brings to the table. Is it worth switching?
95. Heddy87 (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 May 2014)
S5 is little quicker, but not as the adverts say. Checked both, the clear soft Xperia Z2 is bout 2,2 s. from black screen to shoot, galaxy with heavy touchWizz will do 1,7 s. in bright light and 2,8 s in dark mainly for scene recognition problems.
Anyway both devices the speed is no diff in real life. sony much lighter soft over android, and no lags at all after 7 days of use. Still better quality feel in hand than S5... and can swim up to 5 m in sweet water (1,5 m from advert is for safety, test show that 5m deep pool no problem at all).
2. nudden (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 May 2014)
Im a z1 users for the period of 7 month, is it worth for me to upgrade to the z2?
19. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1607; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
At this point, you might as well wait to the Z3. I wouldn't think it's worth it.
96. Heddy87 (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 May 2014)
if it comes to the screen and overall built - yes.. but if screen and wieving angles is not a poit to you, you might just wait for Z1 kitkat, they'll be practically the same (camera soft upgrade, album and movie issuess solved).
It is not worth such big money, I bouth it cause my T model as 2 year old flagship and the difference of everyday use was obvious (from 10 h work in T to 3 days no charge work). You better stick to Z1 and wait till Z3, or Z4 for a much more differences.
3. Supraman21 (Posts: 93; Member since: 09 Jun 2010)
Is the battery life comparable to the Lg G2?
22. pwnarena (Posts: 1001; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
per gsmarena stats, it's significantly better. 89 hours vs 61 hours (70+ for kit kat upgrade, not sure)
31. buccob (Posts: 1656; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I saw them earlier too... but I want to see PA testing too because they have different approaches....
However even though GSMArena's battery test seems weird, it makes a lot of sense.
Phone Call Test, Web Browsing and Video Test... AND also StandBy which is why sometimes the sum of the other tests not always reflects the score they give...
97. Heddy87 (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 May 2014)
there are few battery test in web now... Z2 played a blu-ray rip movie on highest bright screen for 17 hours, according to S5's 14 hours and m8's 13:35... the power managing in Z2 is anyway something to learn from (2 cores everyday use.. 4cores if power needed) and Xperia won't turn off any colors and functionality when battery drained like S5 or m8. There are some issuess with the built like catching mist in to camera, and also some people had returned the m8 cause back panel loose and moving with strange sound, so it's about what product line you will get, non devices perfect, better test it your self before buying.
4. buccob (Posts: 1656; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
When is the battery test going to be released? and how does it compared to the Z1 Compact? (that never got the battery test done)
5. micmic9999 (Posts: 11; Member since: 03 Jan 2012)
1. is there a voice assistance for sony? like i want to turn off the alarm by saying "stop" or can recommend 3rd party app with the same function?
2. do you have a guide to enable -rw for SD card, it is so annoying why kitkat made it this way that you cannot save to your SD card right away.
98. Heddy87 (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 May 2014)
there are some smart options built in like turn face down to silent the ring, or take and put near ear to answer, but never heard about voice commands in Z2. Propably an App to download for that function.
Kit kat won't let you save app on Sd, unfortunatly, but you can put there manually all the movies, music and make the camera save to it. so using the memory smart with only needed app should do just fine. Well it's not the firs phone there to have just 16 Gb of space (iPhone S4, Xperia Z1, Xperia T, Galaxy S4 and so on...)
77. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
GSMArena has already done it.
7. AlanB412 (Posts: 31; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Why does Sony hate the US so much when it comes to this phone series?
8. amasog (Posts: 168; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
why it has so huge bezel??? don't say because of its water resistance. s5 is also water resistant yet its bezel is not as huge as the z2's.
24. pwnarena (Posts: 1001; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
and lg g3 will be water resistant and it will have the least bezels ever.
sharp aquos currently holds the best bezel to display ratio but it's only available in japan.
56. RandomUsername (Posts: 607; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
I think mainly because of the aluminium frame. It needs a certain thickness to be sturdy enough. Also, switching to AMOLED could make the bezels thinner, but Sony's not gonna do that ;)
68. rency0722 (Posts: 82; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
If you notice the position of the 1/2.3" Exmor RS camera at the back, the size of the sensor matches the size of the top bezel of the phone, which makes it not bulging at the back. Since they use Omnibalance design, they also put the same size of the top bezel to the bottom.
91. buccob (Posts: 1656; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Exactly... I dont really mind I thicker device if the bezels are smaller... hence the ZL2 has the sensor directly on the back of the display, thus making it thicker, but having a smaller footprint...
99. Heddy87 (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 May 2014)
Z2 is water proof, and there are 2 bass reflex free spaces on top and bottom... HTC the biggest bezel with htc logo, but everyone is ok with that so don't do any hateing here. S5 is only water resistant cause it has a little silicone strip round the battery it is not sealed everywhere so it's not sony's class of in water performing, just good for rain and splashing something near device, it won't handle total immerse in water. + the bezelz come handy while wieving a movie in horizon position, that samsung can't do, always some screen button tuched and movie closed.
9. QuadFace (Posts: 84; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Why they keep focusing on water and dust resistance and not on drop resistance?
58. RandomUsername (Posts: 607; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
Just slap a case on it, I don't see the problem?
61. Neo_Huang (Posts: 897; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
Because drop resistance would make it either freaking expensive or freaking thick.
92. buccob (Posts: 1656; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Drop resistance was taking care of in older devices with the ASF included... but then people complained about the scratch prone film...(without realizing it actually helped on a more important issue, screen shattering)
Sony dropped the ASF with the Z2... and to me it was a big advantage that they had over other manufacturers... and the scratch problem was easily fixable with an additional screen protector...
There is no way to please everybody.
10. abhishek2201 (Posts: 9; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
I want you to personally rate the multimedia and general usage depending on the Z2's custom UI. You've mentioned Sony's custom 4.4.2 UI is pretty close the stock android, when compared to Sense 6.0 and the latest Touchwiz, But how responsive is it compared to the other two, and I dare to pitch, iOS 7.1?
How do you rate the Walkman, Album and Movies app on the latest firmware? (There's a difference in the apps screenshoted on your full review and the comparison's with the two flagships). They look very different and appealing.
Also your review missed the noise cancellation feature/paired earphones that Sony is heavily advertising on. Any comments on that?
11. QuadFace (Posts: 84; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
I like to listen to music using headphones, please tell me your opinion about sound quality if compared with the HTC One M8.
84. Branson28 (Posts: 17; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
The headphones sound quality is amazing. Everything is clear, and the equalizer is well balanced (especially with ClearAudio + on). I don't have a One M8 to compare it to, but the front facing speakers are loud and mostly clear, but slightly treble heavy like other reviews say, but from speakers that small? I think its a good deal.
12. FaisalWibowo11 (Posts: 147; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Guys, do you know? Gsmarena have finally made the review of Xperia Z2.
The battery endurance rating of Z2 is outstanding! 89 hours! That is 27 hours above galaxy s5, holy sh*t! I was completely shocked as I didn't expect the battery to last that long, maybe about 78 hours at maximum. And impressively, 89 hours is without stamina mode.
36. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3385; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yep. I called them today. Guess how unlucky I am? They said my order had somehow disappeared from their system... The guy said he has never seen such thing happen lol. So they redid my order and it should come early next week.
41. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1607; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
They should have someone personally send someone out to get it to you today!!
46. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3385; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah that would be real customer service :)
87. zunaidahmed (Posts: 83; Member since: 24 Dec 2011)
Been using my z2 for 2 weeks, got it on may 6th. Gotta tell ya, awesome phone with super battery life.
88. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3385; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I believe! Hope I'll get mine on Monday it was dispatched yesterday.
67. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Yeah with same specs as the Z2 but with 4.3inch screen
27. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3640; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I'm honestly disappointed by Z2. After reading z2 review of gsmarena i lost all hopes for getting a flagship phone this year. Z2 display disappoints again-low contrast and poor outdoor visibility, the software is imperfect. So no from me.
35. chocowii (Posts: 353; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
GSMArena doesnt love Sony or any phone other than Samsung's or Apple's.
76. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3640; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Maybe samsung's but apple-no. They are not biased though, just read iphone 5s review of both PA and GSMARENA.
40. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1607; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I can't agree with the outdoor visibility they rated on GSMArena. My Z2 is nice and bright when I'm outside under a strong bright sunlight. I have no problem looking at my phone at all. The screen is very beautiful without a doubt. My only complain is it's too damn long XD
78. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3640; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I have heard that sony uses two different panels from different manufacturers. One is inferior. That is a serious let down in terms of Quality control. Also if you go to xperiablog.net site you'll see hundreds of problems mentioned. I wont take such huge risk.
50. MrTzr (Posts: 144; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
If the display is your complaint then you must go to a store and check the display yourself. It's a very nice and colorful display and it is bright enough for outdoor usage. I do agree with the software. I do encounter some slight lag from time to time, but it's not that bad. The S5 feels a bit smoother though. But again, I can live with it because it's not that bad. And Sony will improve it with SW updates, but Sony likes to take their time with releasing the updates. For me, the Z2really is the best smartphone because of all its pro's vs its cons. But I would wait if I were you to check the G3 out. (I couldn't wait so I had to choose between S5, M8 and Z2).
42. MrTzr (Posts: 144; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
My Z2 reached 9 hours of screen-on time with heavy use! Very impressed with the battery!
45. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1607; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
My Z2 could last me whole day of modern to heavy usage too :D I'm extremely happy with it.
62. cheetah2k (Posts: 889; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
9hrs? Doing what? No wifi, no 3G/LTE, just displaying the home screen? Maybe at zero brightness you might get these stats. The best I've managed is around half that, 4.5hrs at best with pretty general usage throughout the day and on 50% brightness.
100. Heddy87 (Posts: 28; Member since: 19 May 2014)
than something wrong with your model.. or battery didn't learn android yet. 13 hours after 3h of RR3 game, texting and facebooking.. brightness 100% + auto mode, stamina On.. HSDPA/3G.. It lasts forever..
85. Branson28 (Posts: 17; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Used mine all day, watching videos and using data etc., and still had over 50% left after a full day. Really amazing battery.
13. laughoutloud (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 May 2014)
please do a camera comparision with nokia pureview 3310.
14. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Is it too big to be put in a jeans pocket?
21. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1607; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I went from Nexus 4 to Z2. It felt really weird at first then I got used to it. As long as you don't wear tight jeans, it fits pretty okay in the pocket.
16. majp89 (Posts: 104; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
Does the touchscreen have the same issue that the Z1 had? Is the battery life optimized better than it was with the Z1? Will it blend with 100 duck sized horses or 10 horse-sized ducks?
17. Samir_Maric (Posts: 72; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
Is that 8mb superior auto photos is better quality shots then HTC One(mM8) 4mb ultra pixel camera?
23. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1607; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I honestly have to say HTC One's camera sucks... My Z2 shoots better pictures in almost all aspect in superior auto mode when comparing to the M8. (I have Z2 and my gf has M8). Even she agrees that my Z2 takes way better pictures. However, if you are just using M8 to upload pictures to social media, it wouldn't matter too much.