Sony Xperia Z2 has Sony's "best ever smartphone display", here's the technology behind it
0. phoneArena 07 Mar 2014, 09:50 posted on
The Xperia Z2 sports what Sony calls its "best ever smartphone display", and from the looks of it, this statement is anything but an exaggeration. Here's a closer look at the display technology inside the Sony Xperia Z2...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
6. tech2 (Posts: 3323; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Don't get excited just yet. Best of Sony in a smartphone doesn't mean the best amongst all the smartphones.
I would wait for a detailed review as the brief comparison done earlier by PA with Z1 wasn't that impressive as whites appeared a bit off.
14. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
21. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
And you, don't get so disappointed. Maybe some day you could have a great phone like Z2
117. cheetah2k (Posts: 1490; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
IPS LCD... woo hoo... They're only 2 years behind the rest. LG make IPS LCD3 screens.
Amazing that for a once leading TV manufacturer their screen tech is so far behind the rest of the game.... Big fail on Sony's part.
130. AnukulVcool (unregistered)
lol IPS LCD3 hahahaha , heard live color LED technology ?
133. Fynjy777 (Posts: 35; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
LG screens for smartphones aren't good and have troubles with colour accuracy. So, the numbers in names doesn't mean good quality.
63. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4793; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
If this phone comes out for Verizon I will definitely get this for my wife. :-)
No Samsung Galaxy S5 for my wife UNLESS the Xperia Z2 doesn't come for Verizon that is...
Keeping my fingers crossed...
96. akki20892 (Posts: 3899; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Z2 is coming in Verizon my friend, you know evleaks leaked about it. Or if not than what about HTC M8.
3. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Mmmmm Z2... Such a beauty. I think Z2 has a perfect display. S5 aslo has nice display, but for me the problem is the super saturated colors in AMOLED. Plus AMOLED screens will get those burn in lines after some use.
53. Astoni (Posts: 647; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I've heard the burn stuff alot, but i've never seen it. Is it really that common?.
56. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I dunno. Erica Griffin had that on her Note 2 (or GS4, not sure which one it was) Also my Nokia N9 has those. Though I'm sure Samsung's modern AMOLEDs are more reliable than the N9, but yes that can happen even on those.
61. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 146; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
No its not...it only happens in extreme cases,like you leave ur screen on for more than 5-6 hours(on a daily basis) on a static picture(which is not normal imho,could only happen if u r using ur phone on a dock with a bad desktop),,,and that too is fixed/improved in later smartphones..I have still with me a samsung jet(samsung's first amoled phone) among other samsung phones,,,and none of them have a burn in yet..
107. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Both mine and my wife's galaxy nexus screen have burn in on the notification bar and on the soft buttons...
I´ve changed my screen because it was on the warranty period, but two months later I started to see the burn in again...
111. Astoni (Posts: 647; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
my 2 year old S3 dosen't have any problems at all, it its always on vibrant screen mode with light on half full :p that really bright. No burns at all
112. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 321; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
I've owned a bunch of AMOLED devices and not once have I had burn in Once.
69. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4793; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I have had the Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Stratosphere & now the Galaxy Note 3. The ONLY phones I have ever seen with those burn in's are the display phones at the carriers stores.
Those phones displays are on 24/7 so they catch the potential customers eyes. You would literally have to have the screen on your phone turned "on" for weeks at a time non stop for that to happen.
I have YET been able to get those screen burn in's on ANY of my devices...
75. rd_nest (Posts: 1578; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
90% of the people here talk about saturation, without even knowing the definition.
Give me a simple answer -- how do you measure saturation??
"...given the fact some Z2 panels were washed out or having not as good viewing angles as others..."
82. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
That's the first person I have heard say that. Just look with your own eyes. They are the best measurement method. If something doesn't look true to life, it's over saturated. Even Erica Griffin, who is extremely strict about displays, praised the Z2 display.
102. JMartin22 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
DisplayMate actually has engineers that have worked in the field of mobile display evaluation and calibration for decades. They'll have the final say
115. rd_nest (Posts: 1578; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
That guy is supercurio. He actually did the early tests with Erica.
BTW, they are real-life partners.
Next time, when someone talks about saturation and wide gamut in same sentence should be banned from internet.
118. rd_nest (Posts: 1578; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
"If something doesn't look true to life..." Seriously?? How would you know that when you are probably looking at it from a LCD display/monitor which is calibrated for a RGB colour space. Your monitor/display just contains about 35% of total visible spectrum. And you're going to tell me that you can determine the colour accuracy of any mobile display by looking at it from another screen? Achieving a wide colour space in AMOLED is probably the easiest thing to do.
4. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Just wait till Oppo releases the beast of march 19th.
23. FoneAddict (Posts: 257; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Oppo Find 7 is definitely the dark horse in this year's flag ship! If it does indeed come with a BEASTLY 4000mAh battery then it will be my next phone.
5. aayupanday (Posts: 574; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
The All New One's screen is gonna beat that....
9. tech2 (Posts: 3323; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Seriously ?! HTC produces the best LCDs on smartphones.
20. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
HTC doesn't produce LCDs. It uses Super LCD which was a joint venture between Sony and Samsung.
47. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1368; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
They dont produce LCD's but they use them so well that they always have one of the best displays on the market on par with companies who actually PRODUCE the displays. Sort of like sony makes camera sensors and until now they cant beat the competition which is so funny.
12. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Perfect can't be beaten. It's gonna be on par though.
7. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Off topic. Have you noticed that words like cra*ple, iShe*p are banned in phonearena. But shamesung, crapsung, scroogle are not banned. Another proof that this is iPh**e arena.
13. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I once posted just word "sheeeeep" and got a warning lol.
109. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
stop trolling and you won't notice that those words are banned.
10. Lampriya (banned) (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
Apple's Retina display crushes this thing!!!
15. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah sure... 4 inches of sub HD resolution. It doesn't stand a chance.
32. Lampriya (banned) (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
Human's eye can't even spot a pixel at the rate of 330ppi. So ur argument is invalid
34. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yes they can. If you look very close. But that isn't the point. Plus small text stays much more readable with higher resolution. And also all movies and games can run in native Full HD resolution. Think about it this way: would you rather watch a movie on your iPhone display with 326 ppi or a 27 inch Full HD display with 81 ppi? See? PPI doesn't matter. It's the actual resolution.
38. royalsovereign (Posts: 37; Member since: 01 Mar 2014)
Just for your information xperia t had a very sharper screen than 5s,and better colors too,I compared them and that guy was an Apple lover like you,and finally he admited that retina is only a name not quality
45. Lampriya (banned) (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
Let's the hate comments begin. But still, that doesn't change the fact that the retina display obviously has a better off overall quality including viewing angle, color reproduction and accuracy, outdoor visibility. ..... Keep hating and being jealous of their sales number. lolz
52. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
The viewing angles are on par, outdoor visibility on par too. But Z2 has obviously better colours, bigger size and higher resolution. You are so stubborn Ms. Lampriya. You are even more fanboyish(girlish) than Darkkjedii. You are just absolutely unbelievable.
60. Lampriya (banned) (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
How about the sale number of Sony compared to Apple? Is it even on par like u stated above?
70. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
When did I state sales are on par? It's just that Apple has gained HUGE popularity since their smartphone was released already back in 2007 and it was veru unique back then. Sony is still relatively new to the smartphone industry (though they had Sony Ericsson before). Apple's products have just really lost their innovation in the recent years.
79. Lampriya (banned) (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
Apple lost innovation, seriously? What is ur proof?
85. Lampriya (banned) (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
lolz....The 5s have been selling like hot cake, even better than the 5. Sony just lost money every quarters.
87. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yes they are selling because world is filled with people like you who will buy an iPhone no matter what. Which company sells more cars? Toyota or Rolls Royce?
94. royalsovereign (Posts: 37; Member since: 01 Mar 2014)
Most people buy iPhone even without ha,,ving any information about it.since iPhone is a big name so they think every part of iPhone is the best due to influence of its name(like you),most(I think about 80%) people blindly go for phones,sell isn't always mean best quality,like Samsung,big sale with low quality against Sony,5s display, the only advantages of its screen against t and z was viewing angels,lol
106. Immolate (Posts: 310; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
So, by your logic, ramen noodles must be the best food ever because more people eat that than any other one thing. Also by your logic, the Samsung Galaxy S4 has the best back cover of any Android phone, because it sells better than any Android phone.
125. TechCrazyedBoy (Posts: 129; Member since: 12 Nov 2013)
Thats inovation u say??
No freaking chance.
65. TMach (Posts: 449; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Apple's screens are IPS LCD not Retina Displays! A bit like when Sony was using the term Reality display in the context of Xperia T. Retina display is not tech in its own right!
126. TechCrazyedBoy (Posts: 129; Member since: 12 Nov 2013)
Hell even the Xperia SP wins vs that crap.
19. Astoni (Posts: 647; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Sub HD.. also its not accurate at all :p with less pixel density. I have no idea how the "retina" display crushes the z2 display in anyway since bot use IPS displays.