Sony Xperia Z2 hands-on: pushing the limits
0. phoneArena 24 Feb 2014, 07:09 posted on
It's been another six months, and so it's time for Sony to unveil yet another cuting-edge Android smartphone. Coming to replace the critically-acclaimed Xperia Z1, the Sony Xpera Z2 is the manufacturer's latest and greatest smartphone proposition. This time around, Sony seems to be really pushing the technology limits with this one - the Z2 is once again bringing some much-appreciated improvement in most areas, and, thankfully, a pretty major enhancement in the screen department. All in all, Sony's latest flagship shapes up as a very promising offering - one that we're definitely looking forward to...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. emadshiny (Posts: 1127; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Sony just needs to get rid of its plain wallpapers
Just put something attractive like others.
9. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5258; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
How is it plain? The wallpaper feels like the one on the PS4. Simple and elegant.
12. istitch (Posts: 157; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
another way to look at it, simplicity at its best.
though i agree the wallpaper should have been more colorful and eyecatching
14. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2525; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I think it's beautiful. What irritates me is that people are always so sceptical about Sony products and say they suck without even thinking about it. It really sucks. And saying that Vaios are/were expensive? Well why are people buying Mac's then? They are even more expensive. This world is weird I'm moving to Japan... (not sayin Mac's are bad they are excellent in fact. Mac Books and Vaios= queen and king of the PC world, iPhones and Xperias= queen and king of mobile world)
31. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Well I hate to upset you ArtSIm, but Sony shut down their Vaio department... Must not have been the queen of the PC World if they continuously lost money on them.
33. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2525; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I know that already. And it really upsets me. If you read again my previous comment and think about it you might know what I meant. It's a bit complicated hard to say lol.
37. wolfsaviorzx (unregistered)
Viao and Macs sucks. Overpriced, get HP or Dell and keep your freedom (in comparison to Mac).
38. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2525; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Sucks???? I have a HP right now. The display is JUST HORRIBLE. And the build quality is JUST HORRIBLE. And it had HORRIBLE software issues with the HP software so I had to completely re-install windows... And I also had a Dell and it also had horrible build quality. Plus new Dell design is just a plain copy of the Mac Books. Just instead of the premium aluminium they are cheap plastic... I don't really like Macs either, but at least I can see why people like them and why they are good. I just much prefer Windows 8.1 to Mac OS X. As for Sony, their design is fantastic and modern and they have amazing build quality and working software. There is a reason for the little higher price tag you know?
73. romeo1 (Posts: 200; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
I also (like artsim) have a hp at the moment and its a piece of cr*p.
In 1.5 year the battery was gone. Cant even leave it on for 30 minutes doin nothing and it shuts off.
The hp software was messed up and had a lot of bugs in it.
The screen cant compare to the vaios.
I personally had no problems with dell.
My next laptop probably will be a vaio if they keep selling them till then
74. LevelingTheDebate (Posts: 8; Member since: 04 Mar 2014)
I can agree with HP and Dell, but Mac's suck? What a troll.
19. emadshiny (Posts: 1127; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I agree with all of you dears!
What I really meant is that these wallpapers may disappoint in the first glance as it won't show the great color reproduction of the display, but sure it is classy.
28. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6260; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I"m getting sick and tired of Ray S. reviews so BIAS
44. TMach (Posts: 349; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Ray S. is a nonentity and a waste of space and his opinions, well, if they were toilet paper, one may consider using them as ass wipes!
41. 21babydoll12 (Posts: 34; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
wonder if you know how to drag and drop pictures into you phone?
81. networkdood (Posts: 6263; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Wallpapers can easily be changed and can make your own or download some free ones from Google play...
2. _Bone_ (Posts: 2110; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Size bezels are manageable so I'm wonder how the top and bottom got so large, it's a full cm taller than the S4 and not much smaller than the Note 3. But I like the thin frame that packs a loot of goodies, 3200mAh is a fitting battery, so are the stereo speakers, 20MP supposedly larger than Z1 sensor, the G lens and dual-ISPs for better processing. It all looks the same, spec'd the same, yet it could be the most impressive Sony phone in years, cause Sony looks to focus on camera and audio end-quality.
6. tech2 (Posts: 1916; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Off topic but I'm quite bummed by GS5 leaks earlier today :(
All that design 3.0 and 'different look and feel of the phone' said by their exec. was a lie ;(
7. _Bone_ (Posts: 2110; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Now with those large top-bottom bezels, one wonders why aren't the stereo speaker grills placed there, that's literally the only thing Sony hasn't figured out yet.
22. PunyPoop (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
You know too much. Let's wait for your S5 :D
48. TMach (Posts: 349; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
I have seen the S5 and it is totally underwhelming in terms of looks/design etc. Specs look good though but it is the Z2 that wins my wallet....that build quality is an unbeatable package!
53. amirxd (Posts: 10; Member since: 04 Jan 2014)
This device is near perfect! If Sony makes a GPE of it (like Z ultra GPE), I would definitely buy it!
10. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5258; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Samsung Galaxy S5
Sometimes ugly needs to get more uglier.
18. Kuroki (Posts: 77; Member since: 24 Nov 2013)
it's ugly and it gained huge bezels... L.O.L.
45. TMach (Posts: 349; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
You mean like the S5? Its necessary for all that water proofing etc, not to mention the huge battery and camera sensor in a thin frame. No one is forcing you to buy it, personally, in these days of cheap plastic and poor build quality, this is a joy to behold. Don't worry, I am sure there is a "bezeless" phone for you somewhere! The Z2's bezels are less than the Z1's and that is plenty good enough for me! I don't see trolls shouting about the iPhone's bezels or those on the Nokia.
4. alterecho (Posts: 1073; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Isn't everyone done playing around with screensizes yet?
58. williamdroid (Posts: 125; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
The only con for me are the onscreen buttons :/
i've tried them and i hate them.
13. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5258; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If the HTC all new One really have the too-rounded corners with big bezels like on the leak pictures, I think I'll pass.
67. Astoni (Posts: 441; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
i don't really mind the bezels, I'm just happy to swtich away from the z1 :p
75. LevelingTheDebate (Posts: 8; Member since: 04 Mar 2014)
I was very excited for the release for the HTC M8 but from seeing the leak it looks like they skimped on the design. They still left that giant HTC logo which is blocking more screen real estate. Not a big deal for a great phone, but things like that really tend to bother me. Oppo Find 7 or iPhone 6 for me now.
11. toink (unregistered)
It's too damn tall!
15. melcruz66 (Posts: 21; Member since: 25 Dec 2011)
This z2 is a Beauty. The Best Processor so far. IPS LCD better than previous Zs.
21. mokhtar (Posts: 205; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
Sony is the only company who listen to costumers ... SONY IS THE BEST ALL TIME
24. livyatan (Posts: 680; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Judging by the S5 leak, I really don't see why would ANYONE go for that instead of this phone.
Granted, I have a feeling Samsung is playing a distinctive game this time.. that plain looking and rugged S5 looks purposely done like that because of the S5 PRIME that will be all about class.
25. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 945; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
well Sony xperia Z2 done it again,squashing the competition..waiting for the next big thing ...
26. Trex95 (Posts: 543; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Looks good. Hope will work as it should cause I sold my Z1 after couple of days of use due to the camera crash plus the camera performance not as I thought totaly crap. Now I'm rocking with Lumia 1520 great camera .
30. MathieuLLF (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
I know some people with the Z1 and none have issues with the Z1. Odd.
49. TMach (Posts: 349; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Each to their own. The Z1 was top dog until now and that is the way it goes until the next king is crowned.....
27. nightfury (Posts: 55; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
all Sony haters find a flaw in this phone and win a trip to Disney land to get fuc#d by mickey in the a## :-P
29. MathieuLLF (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Now that they finally fixed the viewing angles I would definitely buy this phone!
32. milanmahat (Posts: 11; Member since: 01 Oct 2013)
What else do you need??? It is the best..with no disadvantages for me...great camera, design,display,battery,4k recording, stereo speakers etc.....
36. nightfury (Posts: 55; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
Uncle it has 64GB expansion slot...what else do u want...if u want more,then its timefor u get a pc
39. sanyamjain75 (Posts: 14; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
Finding a way to criticise a phone it has an expandable storage of 64Gb..if not satisfied then start your own mobile company...
47. TMach (Posts: 349; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Ever heard of memory cards? I would rather have 16gb with expandable memory than be limited to 32gb internal memory!I suspect even if it had 32gb with expandable memory, you would have said FAIL. So transparent...
40. 1EXreMAR (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
After watching S5 unpacked I have to say: I don't want fitness, I want Xperia Z2!
68. Samitha (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
You can do fitness in a classier way with Z2 with S-band..... no need to keep fingering the phone LOL, Z2 is said to be capable of recording heart rates continuously... :D
43. zachattack (Posts: 543; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
What a great video, was like 10 minutes of him going meh. I already don't like him much as a reviewer but man you sounded unimpressed which is beyond me. This is the phone of 2014. Unless HTC pulls it out of their ass, but this phone has it all
50. rueleonheart (Posts: 20; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
It's either this or S5 and I like the design of Z2 more. My only concern is the screen has a protector that can easily be scratch and removing it will remove the logo. Can any Z1 users tell me how they circumvented this? I don't want to apply screen protector, it's like applying screen protector over another screen protector.