Sony Xperia Z2 display analyzed: large color gamut, excellent color accuracy
0. phoneArena 28 Feb 2014, 05:29 posted on
Sony has just unveiled its new flagship Android smartphone, the Xperia Z2, at MWC, with one huge improvement - a better display. While earlier Sony top-shelf devices like the Xperia Z1…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. hboy857 (Posts: 230; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
Take that maherk and PapaSmurf. Didn't you guys say that z2 has terrible display? Now eat your own words.
25. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Just like what i have said before Z2 has one of the most (if not most) advance display in mobile phone.
Thanks to IPS, Triluminos and Colour Live LED technology.
63. AnukulVcool (Posts: 132; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
live color LED is a ground breaking technology, its a bit complex to understand thats why sony is not marketing it whole heartedly
48. akki20892 (Posts: 3621; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Good shot buddy. And that's a true fact that screen is awesome.
Sony you made excellent phone this time. Go Z2.
75. Metalspy8 (Posts: 46; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
I find it PATHETIC WHEN they are proven wrong and they dont have the testicular fortitude to lay a comment regarding this.
2. lee480 (Posts: 177; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Z2 is definitely more superior compared to the S5.
13. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1373; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
you mean the Samsung Galaxy S4S right?
27. eq5555 (Posts: 63; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
the camera module has become 50% more than 5s, G2, one, s4, plus isocell
more powerful processor
battery is more
the screen is a bit brighter and bigger
Whah you need?
30. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1373; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
^* this is a paid advertisement brought to you by Samsung © ® TM
32. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Maybe OIS, QHD display, 3-4GB of ram, 3000+ mAh battery, and metal frame :)
37. eq5555 (Posts: 63; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
Optical Image Stabilization for the camera - Z2 does not have it, too, high aperture ratio, isocell and a large sensor, partially replace it
QHD - for what?
2 GB is more than enough
metal only need hypocrites, fetishists and other inadequate
42. hboy857 (Posts: 230; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
I agree QHD is definitely a gimmick no phone should have QHD screen , 2 GB is adequate for most phones but because touchwiz is so heavy maybe S5 really need 3 gb ram. Note 3 is the best phone samsung ever created and it has 3 GB ram (in my opinion it's the best phablet you can buy right now).
"metal only need hypocrites, fetishists and other inadequate". really? dude. that's just trash talk.
I'll wait and see what you say in the future if S6 come out with metal.
43. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Sony SteadyShot is the best digital image stabilization in mobile phone camera.
If i'm mistaken S5 has the same aperture as the S4 and Note 3 F2.2 and For now no one can prove it that isocell is 30% better than conventional BSI sensor at the same time Sony also claims that their Exmore RS sensor is superior than conventional BSI sensor.
Lumia 1020 and Z2 has larger sensor.
512MB is enough for kitkat but i'm not sure that 2GB is enough for samsung touchwiz especialy for multitasking + you turn on all the features.
With metal frame S5 will feels much more solid and premium.
71. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"metal only need hypocrites, fetishists and other inadequate"
What about fake leather?
68. DONUT (Posts: 307; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
every flagship released this year is better than the S5
5. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Ofcourse it is better than OLED based screen.
14. eq5555 (Posts: 63; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
In OLED (Amoled) white whiter IPS, faster response in comparison to LCD (hundreds of times better than LCD), contrast and black level is perfect (hundreds of times better than LCD), a range of colors better, colors do not mix with each other, at times less power consumption, much thinner, ideal viewing angles
Oversaturated color only old samsung displays and they are configured using the Profile
top OLED g flex bottom ips
samsung has different displays
19. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
1) OLED based displays has short life span.
2) OLED based displays tend to Burn-In.
While these two problems with OLED are not solved OLED is not better than LCD don't matter what other better characteristics it has!
28. eq5555 (Posts: 63; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
Old stereotype. These problems were in the old screen
53. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
It is not a stereotype, it is technical fact!
31. livyatan (Posts: 732; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Samsung has fixed the burn in issue with its latest AMOLEDS..and the brightness on the S5 is again improved to the levels of LCD's.
Overall, if color calibration gets improved too (and it will, judging from the already excellent Note 3 screen), then AMOLED will be basically perfect.
BUT this LCD from Sony looks like the best LCD screen yet and is only losing in the black level category compared to AMOLED.
Both screens are brilliant and no one shouldn't have any complaints.
Kudos for Sony!
They really are serious in their intent to fight to the very top.
35. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
"Samsung has fixed the burn in issue with its latest AMOLEDS.." No they don't until this day any OLED display will have shorter life span than LCD.
45. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 121; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Shorter Lifespan?? May be,,but its enough for someone who can afford a flagship smartphone..I have my Samsung Jet still with me,,and the display looks as good as before....AND no burn in till now..
57. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
And now go and Google and you will see that there is a lot of people who was not so lucky.
56. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
OLED has even shorter life span than PDP (plasma screens). And short lifespan was one of the main problems of PDP based screens.
55. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Samsung has fixed the burn in issue with its latest AMOLEDS..."
Noone still has improve organic compounds which are used in OLEDs! If you wan't to improve lifetime and avoid burn-in effect on OLED based displays, you have to improve organic compounds which are used in OLEDs! Organic compounds are the main reason why OLED based displays have short life span and are affected by burn-in effect. Samsung has improved matrixes and used other "tricks" to increase OLED life span and avoid burn-in effect, but the problems is still not solved it is just a workaround to reduce chance of getting burn-in effect and increase OLED's life span. I suggest you read more tech literature instead of prepaid articles in commercial websites.
65. AnukulVcool (Posts: 132; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
why they blow away colors on their screens then? seems like they want to hit a homerun on all three sides of color gamut. for a new user samsung display bleeds colours as hell and it seems radioactive. amoleds show contrasts that are unseen in real world viewing and that's why oleds have small benifits over LED displays
59. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 438; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Meh. Forget OLED. Sony's past concept was Crystal LED. Crystal LED is the same as OLED but of course using the traditional LED. If CLED is going to production, then I think it is the best futureproof display.
No degrading LED color
Highly configurable brightness
Not easily damaged by moisture
High degree of viewing angle
8. Akfred (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
Sure z2 is way ahead of s5, the only problem I have
With the z2 is that its too big. That's why am going for
50. cretinick (Posts: 147; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
I was expecting them to say something about the Z2 Compact in the Z2 announcement. But looks like they will not have nothing new until July...
These phones are too damn big! And they're getting bigger!
9. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Again, IPS panel is more realistic than Amoled. The "over-saturated" display era is over.
34. livyatan (Posts: 732; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
AMOLED can be set to look just like an LCD.
I tell you this as a Note 3 owner with a display set to accurately calibrated movie mode.
Huge difference compared to standard!
46. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
I know that you're right as thera are many options for display setting as we can find at S3 and Note2 (from standard to vivid mode). Still the color accuracy on Amoled panel can't match the one on LCD.
11. jan25 (Posts: 416; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
Never really liked Sony, but this Z2 is something else. I am bothered by their UI and the amount of flagships they have a year(which will probably effect updates). If only Google offered a GP edition of the Z2, i will gladly call it the smartphone of the year, provided no serious cons come out in the reviews.
41. dbrie (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
With a Google Play edition you'd have the generic Android camera app and would lose a lot of the Sony proprietary features, and may lose some of the proprietary Sony software for the display, noise canceling, etc. Plus, imo, the Sony skin is one of the least intrusive of any of major brands (Samsung, LG)
52. cretinick (Posts: 147; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
Take the Z2 and instal the Google Now Launcher apk. Looks like the Google Play Edition, but with all the sony improvements to the hardware.
15. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
@fouadqr: "Good but not better tahn 1520 :)"
Maybe Nokia Lumia 1520 has better camera than Sony Xperia Z2 but I don't see nothing more than that.
39. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
The best thing about L 1520 camera is OIS and more advance manual setting but in Z2 is the winner when comes to sensor size and lens.
49. FaisalWibowo11 (Posts: 141; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Lumia 1520 has better camera than Z2? Are you fu*kin kidding me?
Look at gsmarena.com's lumia 1520 vs galaxy note 3 comparison article. Dude, 19MP mode on lumia 1520 can't even beat note 3 in daylight shootout. Whereas 8MP mode on Xperia Z1 has no trouble trouncing 13MP note 3 in both good and low light.
It is clear right? Then forget about beating Xperia Z2 camera which I found to be more detailed and noise free compared to Xperia Z1 itself
54. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
tent.com/translate_c?depth=1&i e=UTF8&nv=1&rurl=translate.goo gle.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http:/ /sonyviet.vn/2014/02/xperia-z2-the-hien-kha-nang-chup-hinh-ban-dem-ba-dao-so-voi-iphone-5s/&usg=ALkJrhgCtYU4uCWe60T8_C qItbYgKgfDsg
17. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sony did really well this year with their flagship, they fixed all the flaws from the Z1 and now we have the Z2. Good job Sony!
18. toink (unregistered)
Does the Z1 Compact rock the same IPS display?
21. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yes, but the Z1 Compact doesn't have the Live Color LED technology like on the Z2, but still the Z1 Compact still can get the job done.
66. AnukulVcool (Posts: 132; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
z1 compact is ips but color accuracy is bad
22. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3597; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Worried about the whites of z2. They are on the yellow side. I prefer bluish whites.
67. pyradark (Posts: 781; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
They have a build in white balance for that