Sony Xperia Z2 climbs to the top of DxOMark's best smartphone camera ranking
0. phoneArena 08 Apr 2014, 06:51 posted on
he folks behind DxOMark have already apparently gotten some hands-on time with the Xperia Z2, and its 20.7-megapixel G Lens snapper in particular, and have arrived at a pretty generous relative score, which actually puts the Z2 on top of its mobile cameras chart. With 77 points (averaged between stills and video), the Z2 landed a final score that surpasses that of even the evergreen camera on the original Nokia PureView camera -- the Nokia 808. Not bad.
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
6. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1304; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
The Lumia 1020's video quality might drag down its score and lands itself at 6th place. I'm not sure since i haven't work with a Lumia 1020 yet. However, I have to say Z2 does produce some really nice pictures. I have yet to take any video or 4k video yet which I am looking forward to use it soon.
20. maverick786us (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Z2 doesn't have an OIS, and still it is top ranked. 1020 has OIS, so the videos are crisp compared to shaky videos of other device. Is it because of 4K recording, that it got such a high ranking?
32. Genza (Posts: 225; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
"At first sight this seems a similar spec to the Z1, however, the new model offers significantly upgraded movie capabilities with 4K (3840 x 2160) video over its predecessor (please note that only the default video mode was evaluated, not 4K mode). "
34. pwnarena (Posts: 933; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
no. it was mentioned in the article that the 4k vid was not included.
57. buccob (Posts: 1481; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I know this is not the same... but the Digital Image Stabilizer in my Xperia is actually quite good... (not OIS levels, but it does help).
61. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
The DxOMarks guys are bunch of nincompoops. Xperia Z2 beating the 808 Pureview?! Bollocks! I bet that 808's 1080p video is just behind Z2's 4K video, but 808's stills are eons ahead of the Z2 because of 808's superb algorithms.
85. omar300 (Posts: 183; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
LMAO. what do u know about algorithms? LOL
do u even know what it is?
89. jeeta444 (Posts: 133; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
according to dxomarks experts :
The still photography score of the Sony Xperia Z2 is 81. Thanks to its beefy sensor, the handset impressed the folks at DxO Labs with impressive detail preservation both outdoors and in low light, well-sorted noise levels, fast autofocus, and good color reproduction in all conditions.In the video department, the handset achieved a score of 73.
66. mokhtar (Posts: 247; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
xperia z2 has steady shot , which work so great as ois ;)
63. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I wonder if the update on the Z1 will improve image quality, day shots are awesome but it falls a bit behind on night shots... what settings you use?
17. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
DxOMark are professionals, they're not biased..
28. akki20892 (Posts: 3555; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Look at that guy the 808 pureview, 2011 model and still on top two. Hand's down. Nokia + legendary symbian.
64. alterecho (Posts: 1085; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
The 808 was/is a masterpiece. People wouldn't believe me when i said the 808 pureview is far far better than any phone, in imaging.
I thought the 808 would have topped this ranking, since it has the largest sensor in a mobile device.
78. nightfury (Posts: 56; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
Symbian days bro, wonder y nokia abandoned symbian
83. Finalflash (Posts: 1799; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Because the OS had nothing to do with the success of the camera in that model. It was just a giant camera module that really wasn't fit for a phone, and it did great camera work.
94. jacobspeeds (Posts: 34; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
The OS is in a way important for how compatible different hardware is with the OS. Such as the dedicated imaging chip!
93. jacobspeeds (Posts: 34; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
symbian is very boring man! i have an 808! the camera is the only fun part! i have been using symbian since the s40 era! you get bored really quick!
41. pwnarena (Posts: 933; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
inaccurate colors. faulty white balance. poor autofocus. they mentioned it there. it received the highest scores, however, for detail retention.
67. deewinc (Posts: 158; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
I have no problem with Z2 being at the top. But I find it funny that the iPhone 5S sits on top of Lumia 1020? Hilarious ranking.
2. djmuzi (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Oct 2009)
LOL I think the iPhone 4 will beat most of this phones in real world image quality :)
Especially this using Sony image sensors.
5. Nexus4lifes (Posts: 75; Member since: 13 Feb 2014)
why just phones.. it beats all slr's too... keep it and you will be the ultimate photographer...
13. Finalflash (Posts: 1799; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Hah, nice one, really though it probably makes him dinner and makes him feel special at night too.
68. THE_Hulk (Posts: 55; Member since: 09 Feb 2014)
hah hah hah hahha ha xD xD you just made my day...
55. shuaibhere (Posts: 1552; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
So what does iphone uses then????
Iphone to uses sony made image sensor you idiot...
92. djmuzi (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Oct 2009)
LOLing around doesn't make you sound intelligent :)
I own the Nokia N86, N8, N9, 808 Lumia 925, iPhone 4S iPhone 5, iPhone 5S and... the iPhone 4 :P
I can tell you the iPhone 4 beats the N86, N9 and !! Lumia 925 !! (Not to mention some phones from the news above like SII, 920 or BB Z10)
4. GMS85 (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
I don't believe that. and the lumia on the 6th ?? Seriously?
10. tech2 (Posts: 2186; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yes, seriously. They are very well known in tech industry when it comes to comparing phone cameras.
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8615; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Z1 is ranked third and we all know how that camera was a hit or miss. I'll take some of the credibility, but still stay firm that the 808 is the best.
31. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
You cannot change the fact that Sony is getting better and better... even with your statement.. Just accept it Smurf.
36. tech2 (Posts: 2186; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Your maturity level shows in your name selection. Have a constructive opinion either bad or good, no need to just troll.
Where were you when GS5 was awarded with best display EVER !, best battery life and when it survived being ranover by a car ?
39. PunyPoop (Posts: 741; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I'm busy with my work. Do you need to tell me where to make my comments? Don't judge my name, I love it!
35. tech2 (Posts: 2186; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Sony always has a bad habit of releasing poorly optimized camera but the results displayed on the website are after the camera was fixed with an update.
45. pwnarena (Posts: 933; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
they did not necessarily intended to test the phone after it was updated. their site states that they only test what is available on the market and that they don't ask for companies to loan them anything. it may have just been some strike of luck for sony. let's just give them that. sammy already has the sales. let the others take the renown.
8. Reality_Check (Posts: 274; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Well, when the 808 Pureview was first, Nokia fans were posting those links left and right in forums. Now it's "I can't believe this." Keep in mind that DxOMark doesn't review a phone after a firmware upgrade.
12. tech2 (Posts: 2186; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yes it does. Z1 was re-tested when after its update, check their website. Otherwise Z1 had a very s**tty camera on release.
14. sbw44 (Posts: 398; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Now tell me why do they say the reason why they not gonna test the 1020 after the black update is because they don't do re-tests? Just shows then its okay for them to re-test other phones but not Nokia's for some reason!
Also that mark the 1020 got was before the black update and before it even got RAW DNG support!
43. tech2 (Posts: 2186; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Lumia scored less because of poor video quality and as far as I am aware RAW doesn't apply to videos and black update had hardly significant updates from camera point of view.
75. sbw44 (Posts: 398; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
"black update had hardly significant updates from camera point of view" Like seriously???? Black update basically eliminated the yellow tint issue the 1020 had at the start. That was one of the main reasons why the 1020 scored so badly in this test!
So with the black update the color reproduction is way better than before meaning instead of getting 56/100 it would now easily get 85-90/100 which will put it on top!
48. pwnarena (Posts: 933; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
simple solution: initiate a signature campaign to have dxomark retest nokia 1020. they might listen.
33. Reality_Check (Posts: 274; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Agreed, the Z1 had not been optimized when it was released. Still they haven't tested the S5 or the One M8 yet.
56. Astoni (Posts: 529; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
It was sh*t all the way to kitkat for me :p Now i'm actually very happy with the device except Battery time :/
9. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3418; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Go sony. Really confused between this and galaxy s5. What a dilemma.
15. Finalflash (Posts: 1799; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Now that the size difference isn't that big, the Z2 is probably the way to go. Especially seeing as how Samsung seems to be their own worst enemy these days.
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8615; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The bigger battery on the Z2 won't out perform the S5 if history repeats itself, and the amount of accessories Samsung phone gets over Sony's make it a no brainer for me.
Everyone is different though.
42. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 383; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
What do you think about digital noise canceling of Z2? One of the most important features for me as everyone listens to music with a smartphone.
46. tech2 (Posts: 2186; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Its hardly significant. I have a Walkman NWZ E574 (with Sony's noise cancelling tech) and I find it hardly any better than my roommate's GS4.
54. zachattack (Posts: 579; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
No one's raving about the s5's average battery life though. LG still holds the best battery life imo. Then again all the phones of today last 10+hours on heavy use so it doesn't matter who you buy really
74. tech2 (Posts: 2186; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
lol.....where did you get your source for 'average battery life' ?
Gsmarena gave it 73 hours on par with Note 3's mammoth battery. LG G2 is on par as well (but with a much bigger battery). Whereas, GS5 has slightly bigger and significantly brighter display in comparison to S4 yet with only an increase of 200mah. This in itself is a great feat.
24. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2956; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Just try both at the store. Buy what you like the most. Like UI and design are probably the biggest differences.
25. maverick786us (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Sony will always have a superior camera over Sammy
38. pwnarena (Posts: 933; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
hmmm... the s5 hasn't been tested yet. nothing conclusive for now.