Sony Xperia Z2 and Z2 Tablet will not have built-in screen protectors
0. phoneArena 25 Feb 2014, 19:47 posted on
One of the more divisive features of the Sony Xperia Z1 was that Sony had a built-in screen protector on the device. Sony called it "anti-shatter film", and the idea was that it would keep broken glass shards from leaving the glass. Unfortunately, unlike the glass underneath, the anti-shatter film was not scratch resistant; and, it had the extra downside of removing the feel of glass and replaced it with the feel of plastic...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
The side view of xperia z2 live pics gave me a bit idea that these films no longer exists
14. cheetah2k (Posts: 1156; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Great, and when the film is scratched to buggery, then what? Cant replace it, and if anything like the Sony Z, it was a b1tch to remove and took the Sony logo with it.... :/ Fail
My wife's Xperia Active had this "film" and it was rubbish too BTW
21. buccob (Posts: 2066; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Well I understand everyone's whining over this... but I was aware of this film before I bought my Xperia, that is why I got an additional screen protector for it (which btw needs replacement now) and the phone is still in great conditions...
The ASF also holds the screen really tight so it helps to prevent cracking... and when cracking occurs, the cracks are either very small or at least held together so it remains functional.
To me this was a feature and it is a reason to get the Z1 Compact instead the following if it does not have it
4. GTR722 (Posts: 253; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
And it kills the competition too....The Z2 is miles ahead the GS5 and G2
6. apple4never (Posts: 1043; Member since: 08 May 2013)
im not sure what samsung was thinking when announcing the S5
10. jamsatu (Posts: 16; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
I do agree that this device is the ultimate smartphone on MWC 2014. If they also announce the Z2 Compact but still able to maintain the thinness, then I've totally sold
7. camera531 (Posts: 279; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Finally! It was always the deal breaker for me. It's just a huge shame that the new compact still has them!
9. pwnarena (Posts: 1046; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Don't worry whiners, you'll find more things to complain about once the actual device gets released.
11. anleoflippy (Posts: 507; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
It's good that Sony is listening to their customers.
12. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1644; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Sony went thru alot achieving the Z series,and finally made the best display by using IPS On the latest Z2 Smartphone.keep it up Sony.
15. melcruz66 (Posts: 27; Member since: 25 Dec 2011)
Sony is doing Good listening to their customers. I believe they will increase their Sales this year (smartphone).
17. bigdgt (Posts: 7; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
The Xperia Z2 is awesome! They did almost everything right. The only thing that would make this perfect would be to add an IR blaster. That is the only thing keeping me from getting this phone the day it comes out. Because i love my S4's blaster.
18. galanoth07 (Posts: 44; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Nice work Sony. Listening to customers. I will buy this phone :)
20. vijaysivakula (Posts: 187; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
so now the glass can shatter? is there any phone that would not shatter?