Sony Xperia Z1f outsells iPhone in Japan, gets compared to Apple's bread and butter
0. phoneArena 27 Dec 2013, 07:02 posted on
The Sony Xperia Z1f, the ‘mini’ reincarnation of the Sony Xperia Z1 flagship, is already on sale in Japan, and has quickly climbed to the top of the charts…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. casualavi (Posts: 48; Member since: 02 Oct 2013)
I find the Xperia design more appealing (Esp. when my eyes go to its lock screen..) :3
4. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9723; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I prefer the iPhone 5S design. The Z1f is still a beastly phone though.
9. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3428; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Japanese knows very well which phone is best. :)
15. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1590; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
There is no "best" phone. A ton iPhones were in the top ten most selling phones in Japan.
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9723; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Thank you for understanding user preferences.
27. donfem (Posts: 573; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Unfortunately, "user preferences" is purpotedly to be the only or "best" choice on phonearena.
39. Finalflash (Posts: 2096; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
See, small phones win in Japan easily because of smaller hands in general. It's ergonomics all the way since big phones are useless if you can't use them.
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7005; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Not to mention its water proof when you have to pay a arm n leg to buy a crappy 79$ waterproof case for iPhone. I still love my Z1 with its beautiful triluminous display/water proof phone
35. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
this happened because sony understood the need for a normal size beast phone
5. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
This is the boss of all mini. Or simply call it mini beast
6. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3473; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I would like to see that yellow colour on Sony's next flagship!
7. Akfred (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
This should be the best Android mini ever, both in design and
10. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7005; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
One of the best phones on the market plus its less expensive than the iPhone.
13. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
Bezel King! just kidding
33. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Sony's 4.3 inch phone has the same size of Apple's 4 inch one.
Now tell me who is the "Bezel King"?
37. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7005; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Talking bout thinnest not screen size
38. pwnarena (Posts: 1032; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
how do you identify bezels?
the xperia zf has a larger display and a bigger battery
14. pwnarena (Posts: 1032; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
the recent conflict with china may have ignited japanese nationalism.
16. .KRATOS. (Posts: 164; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Hope it will be released internationally with 4.4 kitkat.
18. boosook (Posts: 1236; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
So it took 8 years for an Adroid manufacturer to understand that all they had to do was... an Android phone that is just like the iphone, and this means just 4 things:
- not too big
- very good camera
- good design and materials
So easy... that's what most people want.
Yet we had to wait 8 years.
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9723; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Eight years dates back to 2005.. You mean six, which is 2007 when Apple released the first iPhone?
24. boosook (Posts: 1236; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
All right, six years is a long time anyway! :)
23. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1590; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
No. Only you had to wait 8 years. Not many Android OEMs had the mini variant developed that time. And it hasn't even been 6 years since the first Android phone. No Android phone is "just like the iphone".
You might want to work on that list again. There's more to a mini.
26. boosook (Posts: 1236; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
All right, six years, not eight. Now please tell me an Android phone that can be compared with the iPhone, meaning that it has more or less the same size (so please don't tell me that the GS4/G2/One/Nexus/Whatever is even better than the iPhone, I don't care, I want something with the same size or only sligthly larger), a camera with the same quality (at least), it's smooth as the iphone (well, more or less...) and has a premium feel like the iphone. This is the first device I see in the Android world that has all these four features.
31. boosook (Posts: 1236; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Nope. Xperia P is what probably came closer, but it had a very small battery. The battery was so small that it can be considered a design flaw IMO. And performance wasn't so good either. Let's say it was a nice try, but with too many flaws, though the camera was really good.
The Honor... well, I wasn't considering Chinese manufacturers. Maybe the Ascend P6, then. But not the Honor! The design is ugly and the materials are cheap. But currently no Chinese manufacturer IMO can have the allure of well-known brands like Apple, Sony etc. So at the moment ZTE, Huawei and friends cannot compete with the iphone no matter how good their phones are. Eventually it will happen... think about Samsung: 10 years ago, it was just Sony's bad copy, and people bought Samsung because it was cheaper. Like Huawei today. In the future, who knows...
47. ElScorcho (Posts: 21; Member since: 17 Jul 2013)
I don't agree w/ your statement which mixes the 6 years of competition Andro/iOS and the very recent trend of size increase.
In early 2011 I got the HTC desire S (i still use as main phone, to be changed soon though).
This phone had the 2010 high end specs inside, and premium construction (unibody aluminium, SD card, reovable battery).
At the time the current iOS device was iPhone4 and the dimensions/performances of both were much similar.
difference was that the phone functionality worked on Desire S whatever the way you hold your device :-)
44. 8logic (Posts: 132; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
if people don't like big phone, than why are the note selling so well and why is fruit making their own phablet? why did the icrap got bigger?
45. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
iphone beat all note series in terms of sales.
48. ElScorcho (Posts: 21; Member since: 17 Jul 2013)
Could anyone imagine that not 100% of people have identical wishes ?
Could we imagine that Note is selling well because many people like big phones, and that iPhone sells well also because many people (not the same, you got me?) like smaller ones?
Is it hard to understand?
49. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I understand with all the things you said, but I think you have to accept the fact that there are in the world today.
Phone with a reasonable size(iphone, s3, and s4) have better sales results than the oversized phone(Phablets). in other words the more people who like a phone with a reasonable size compared oversized phone.
19. SonyPS4 (Posts: 301; Member since: 21 May 2013)
It seems Japanese prefer smaller smartphone. Only Apple and Sony so far release small high end smartphone. Xperia ZR outsell Xperia Z by large margin and now Z1f also doing better than Z1. Phablet like Z Ultra, Note 3 never did well in Japan.
29. starkiller306 (Posts: 58; Member since: 13 Nov 2013)
finally someone mentions the ZR :D it was also kind of a mini, though not really much smaller than a Z but it had the same philosophy as the Z1 mini.
20. Loubielou (Posts: 355; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Apple must realise that the Screens on the iPhones needs to match the length as they are to small an spoils the look of the phones,the Sony Z1F is what the screen on the iPhone5s should be alot wider than thinner
25. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Hey Sony hurry up launches the international version of Z1f!!! Because I want it and I'm sure a lot of people in the world who prefer a compact and powerful smartphone in comparison with oversized smartphone.
And if you can, please replace the screen with WhiteMagic display. So i can get superior outdoor visibility and longer battery life.
30. Taters (Posts: 4298; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I think the phone would have looked a lot better if it looked like a mini version of the Xperia Z rather than the Z1.
That metal frame is not only completely unnecessary, it makes the phone look a lot bulkier and less sleek than it could have been.
41. pwnarena (Posts: 1032; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
but that frame makes the device more resistant to breaking when dropped. if the z1 does not break after being dropped (android authority test), this device will surely be more resistant to damage as it is smaller and lighter.
32. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
I'm all about seeing Apple lose a battle against another company, but it's not really that uncommon to see a Japanese product outsell an American(designed def not made)one in Japan.
34. GeekMovement (Posts: 1898; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Beautiful device. I'd consider getting one if it comes to the states. Wow.
40. pwnarena (Posts: 1032; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
it's considered a mini when it's about the same size as the flagship galaxy sII some years ago.
it's not really a mini. it's just an effort to resist the trend of large display phones.
42. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Won't come to verizon so I DON'T GIVE A F. It's the only phone that might be able to match the G2 in battery life / performance. I would buy one if i could see it on verizon but no sony products ever come to verizon. This or a nexus device. I would even be tempted to buy a nexus 7 and use it on Verizon. I bought my dad a nexus 7 this christmas and damn thing is buttery smooth, it's keyboards rapes my G2's keyboard sadly also. I was like dayum... stock android be tight yo
46. zamroni (Posts: 3; Member since: 11 Dec 2012)
Sony, replace that pink with golden one. I want the black one btw.