Sony Xperia Z1 vs LG G2: First look
0. phoneArena 04 Sep 2013, 15:02 posted on
Now that's a clash that's going to make the ground tremble. In the left corner we have the newly-announced Sony Xperia Z1 and in the right corner awaits the LG G2 smartphone. Anyone who is even remotely familiar with these two devices knows that they are among the best of their kind. Which one of the two is better, however? Well, here we have them, side by side, and we'd gladly share with you our opinion on the matter...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. emadshiny (Posts: 1135; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
The only thing i hate about Sony is how they choose their wallpapers!
13. eli577 (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
There's another thing, those giant bezels in all directions with no physical buttons (nor touch). From the pictures I can already tell that the Z1 is bigger than the G2, how come Ray can't notice it? :D
Oh, and one more thing: watch when Ray holds the Z1 in an angle and see how the quality of the screen changes....therefore it's obviuos this trilominuous"
14. eli577 (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
so....: therefore it's obviuos this "trilominuous" thing is just another empty phrase like Bravia engine and Exmor...LOL
15. Commentator (Posts: 2436; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Or you could read the reviews that state that Sony's new screen competes very well with the screens on the G2 and One?
16. eli577 (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
Sorry, but I'm looking at a display, not reading about it....
And there was a reason for not mentioning G2's display, cause I think all of the flagship devices have better displays than this trilominous one.
19. sum182 (Posts: 229; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
looking at a picture/video of a display? boy is that and acurate way to judge /s. I'll be waiting to compare it to my DNAs 440ppi LCD to draw a conclusion....The side bezels arnt giant, or weren't untill recently we decided we'd take loss of integrity over looks. And they help with the waterproofing (i believe), so they dont bother me. but thats all opinion i suppose. I doubt i'll even get a chance to test run this beast, being in the US and all... The other benefit to this...well Sony in general, is their support for AOSP.
22. eli577 (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
That's why I wrote "giant bezels in all directions", not just the side bezels, the upper and the lower bezels' size are more annoying, considering the fact that it has no physical buttons.
20. emadshiny (Posts: 1135; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
At first i recommend you check your eyes!
Then tell me, wont you complain if the bezels were thin but the phone had a weak battery, weak camera and weak speaker?? (not mentioning water proof)
Fanboys like you always search for something to cry about.
Now go and enjoy trolling around.
30. DONUT (Posts: 307; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
but the G2 has thin bezels, without a weak battery, camera and possibly even without a weak speaker
2. wrm2013 (Posts: 183; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Dude where is the z1 mini. When this mini sells like hot cakes others will start making top end spec 4.5 and under phones...... So says my crystal ball.
5. dancorcal (Posts: 35; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
I think so too. Nexus 5 is my next phone no matter what because I can't get contract pricing until next fall. Hopefully by then LG will have stuff the g2 proc and camera into a small one hand unit while still having 4.5 or 4.6 display. Looking at the bezel on the G2 I think the could use the same ratio of screen to bezel and fit a 4.5 into a phone the size of the S4 mini.
3. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
I think LG should've kept the front free of logos for a sexy clean black front like the Nexus 4 and Moto X.
Also the crystal reflection design on the original G was good looking too IMO. I wonder why they dropped it :(
I guess the logo thing wouldnt really matter if it looked uniform and classy. Sony's logo is simple and pleasant. LG's looks bulky and industrial-ish?
4. theruleslawyer (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Doesn't help that I associate LG with low end appliances.
6. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Well thats a shame, because their appliances aren't really low end. There are plenty of no-name brands that make them so LG doesn't have to.
I suspect rather that you associate any company that makes home appliances like washers and refrigerators to be low end themselves. Kind of like how I bet you see sewer workers or garbage clean-up as the dirty scum humans of the earth, right? Even though they carry a critical role.
9. Commentator (Posts: 2436; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
...Or he's had bad experiences with LG products and you shouldn't jump to conclusions about his views on other things anyways because that's no better than what he's doing, right?
7. Commentator (Posts: 2436; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I'm not sure why they went with both the LG letters and the LG symbol. One or the other would be fine, but not both.
10. yasir-921 (Posts: 79; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
In that way, SAMSUNG logo starts and doesn't want to end?
8. yasir-921 (Posts: 79; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
How can Z1's screen be great? Its TFT afterall!
Plus the "G" brand for its camera is nothing exciting!
The XZ has bioniz cmos backlight camera, something like that but the Z's camera is the worst camera to date! Same is going to be for the Z1.
Sony is trying to create excitement about all the G stuff and all, but again, Z1 will fail in camera department, screen quality.
12. emadshiny (Posts: 1135; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
WOW, you look so angry!
I think your salary is delayed. LOL
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6584; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
jeeze man you don't have too be so mad bout TFT screen. don't like it then don't buy it. every screen have pros and cons.
25. yasir-921 (Posts: 79; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
LoL at your comments. but that will be the fact!
21. hitman346 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
" The LG G2's IPS display looks like it can easily compete with the Xperia Z1's panel and even beat it." Really ? Think again. w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=7VXFuMXu-SQ
23. Hughey2k2 (Posts: 13; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
The Z1 definitely looked better in that video then the LG G2 the S4 wasn't even in the same league.
26. SonyCraperiaSucks (banned) (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
Lol obviously the G2 has the better screen, Trilumicrap still isnt as good, watch that large contrast loss (not as much as XZ) but still horrible compared to AMOLED or even IPS.
29. eli577 (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
Agreed, but I think the color shifting is a bigger problem on Sony's display, despite the "new technology", it still gets washed out and "foggy".
28. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
G2 has the crappy display and crappy design and yes crappy plastic
xperia z1 all way
even s3 display beats g2
31. DONUT (Posts: 307; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
crappy display? LG makes the best IPS displays out there. Design is really subjective. G2 sh*ts on the S3, dont hate for the sake of hating
32. sarge77 (Posts: 202; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
LOL S3 will never beat the G2 in anything for that matter. maybe in smaller category. Just for the sake of Sd card i love Sony new lines of phones these 2 phones are very close well the battery stress test Z1 didn\'t do well the water proofing makes great addition.