Sony Xperia Z1 size comparison: larger than your average Android flagship
But how big is it? Can you hold it comfortably? And how fit is it for single-handed operation? The Xperia Z1 does not have those super slim bezels like the new LG G2, but its screen is also smaller at 5 inches.
There is only one way to tell how comfortable it is and that’s our neat size comparison tool. We put it aside the hottest device it’d rival - the LG G2, the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the HTC One. You can also see how it fares against its Sony counterparts and the Apple iPhone 5.
Don’t forget that you can also switch to side view to see which is the slimmest device. Take a look.
144.4 x 73.9 x 8.5 mm
6.00 oz (170 g)
138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm
5.04 oz (143 g)
136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm
4.59 oz (130 g)
137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3 mm
5.04 oz (143 g)
144.4 x 73.9 x 8.5 mm
6.00 oz (170 g)
139 x 71 x 7.9 mm
5.15 oz (146 g)
179.4 x 92.2 x 6.5 mm
7.48 oz (212 g)
123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm
3.95 oz (112 g)
1. hung2900 (Posts: 817; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Bezel is even bigger than XZ...
For what? 3000 mah battery? ??
13. Commentator (Posts: 2469; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
A Sony rep in The Verge's hands-on explained that it's size is due to the camera.
28. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
Oh.excuses like Moto X!
The size and weight !?
15. daddysbeenabadgirl (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
I guess I'm the only one who thinks its a fugly looking phone. Its a beast spec wise and I wouldn't consider not getting it if I needed a new phone, but it doesn't look comfortable to hold being elongated with sharper corners.
37. daddysbeenabadgirl (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
Dude quit being such a flamming fanboy and grow up. People get hard ons everytime flagship phones are released, then get all butthurt if people dont like everything about it.
Everyone doesnt agree that its a "sexy" looking phone. I'm entitled to my opinion and I think it's fugly and uncomfortable.
32. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
In my opinion it is not ugly, but bulky for sure. :(
27. Dr.Phil (Posts: 924; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I would think it has something to deal with it's camera as well as it being a waterproof device. You want to keep the internals as far away from the outside of the phone as possible so that the chances of moisture somehow getting in and ruining the device are low.
46. buccob (Posts: 1544; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Shockproof... on top of all those things you said...
51. vikas.rrr (Posts: 9; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
Wasn't the z water proof enough for normal people with normal uses.Lets admit it, Would have been better if the Z1's weight and size should have been in line with the Z
34. special4u (Posts: 63; Member since: 22 May 2013)
i would trade small bezel / light weight with better camera and longer battery life
3. jeff_1 (Posts: 105; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
What is common between LG and Samsung..they are both from korea..but hey..look at that..
G2 and S4 same design language..
who is cheating?
30. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
who's trolling between these two korean oem's? lol
48. cttan456 (Posts: 60; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Yes Z1 got smaller bezels than iphone 5. The pictures are on the same scale and my ruler doesn't lie.
5. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 982; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Great device but kinda big ,at least should have been a same size as Xperia Z
and a bit heavy too...
6. Bootutu (Posts: 189; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
I doubt it will be comfortable to hold at all, and with those sharp edges, remove the damn bezels Sony, i mean com'on.....
7. rms.max (Posts: 82; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
1020 is 158g $ Z1 is 169g...that was nokia :( :(
8. hellonerds (Posts: 265; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
There's a lot of dead space on that.. Come on Sony look at the LG/Samsung they put as much screen as possible without making the device bigger.. Still a nice phone
9. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
Thanx PA for reminding us
samsung and lg looks more uglier
20. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
The size is disappointing!!!
I thought this is my first water/dust smartphone. I must wait for mini version.
14. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6688; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
man the iPhone so puny looking compare too others
16. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 843; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
That's a lot of bezel for a 5inch Android, not only that, it's bigger than a G2 and at 169g quite hefty, and it's arriving with Android4.2 instead of 4.3.
Bring on the excuses about the 1st half 2014 Sony flagship being the 'Real deal'.
24. Reality_Check (Posts: 277; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
It houses a 3000 mAh battery though + an all glass n metal body (not PLASTIC). And GSMArena says it'll arrive with 4.3 on board. Whom to believe? :S
36. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 843; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Has the 3000mAh battery been confirmed by Sony?
GSMARENA say customized 4.3 in the news area but in the official hands-on they say it comes with 4.2 o.O
38. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 843; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
White paper says 3000mAn battery but only Android4.2:
42. Taters (Posts: 3526; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I and many others would take the smaller size and plastic anytime. Besides, the Xperia Z design seems pretty durable despite the glass. Should have just believed in your design and not fall pray to Apple and HTC metal whores jizzfests.
The G2 has a 3000 mah battery too.
49. cttan456 (Posts: 60; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
The bezel on the 4 inch iphone 5 is even thicker.
17. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
That Z1, should be 5.5" display, S4 and G2 are the perfect size for 5" display..
31. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
I know, but the size is smaller than Z1/Z.
35. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If the Z1 has a 5.5" display, the size on the Z1 will be even wider, heavier, and taller. Unless Sony knows how to minimize the bezels like the LG G2.
47. vincelongman (Posts: 1599; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
The Xperia ZL (5" screen, 131.6 x 69.3 x 9.8 mm) had the smallest bezels when is was released earlier this year.
Unfortunately, Sony has forgot how minimize bezels :(
25. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Those bezels just ruin it . before seeing the comparison I though yh the bezels do look big but maybe it isn't that bad but compared to the s4 any g2 its just massive. Considering that the g2 has a bigger 5.2" screen and slightly bigger battery and is smaller than the z1 just shows how big the z1 is for a 5" phone. Even the z was big for a 5" and this is bigger, they should have kept it the same as the z at least.
18. ryq24 (Posts: 529; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
The waterproof feature make this phone bigger and more expensive. Hope sony came out with a non waterproof version.
26. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Waterproof means that it should be hermetic and hermetic not necessary means that it should be bulky.
39. amilcarmz86 (Posts: 95; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
If u dont like it dont buy it, its simple.
43. Taters (Posts: 3526; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Oh you better believe that people won't buy it because if the size, just like the Xperia Z Ultra.
People are complaining for Sony's benefit though, not to annoy Sony fans that are going to buy it.
40. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 438; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Like the people here can design a water resistant phone made with aluminum and glass and fit the big battery and the big camera sensor and try to make it thin. Waterproofing the phone is a new trend and designs are expexted to be bulky. In the future, that might change so just wait and see.
41. boosook (Posts: 1080; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
The camera takes its toll, but it's unfair to compare the Z1 with phones with smaller sensors. Look how big is the Nokia 1020, for example.
45. vikas.rrr (Posts: 9; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
Bigger and heavier than expected, also why is it slimmer than the Z.If someone says that it is due to water-proofing,FTW they could have just made an Z1 active version or heck how many people go scuba diving with their smart-phone. Mind you i know mishaps do happen and any sort of water protection is very very appreciated,but you also keep in mind the phone aesthetics and so of ur rivals and predecessors of you have one like the original xperia Z. They should have kept the size and weight similar to what the Z was.
50. andonia2 (Posts: 33; Member since: 26 Jul 2013)
Looks like the Lumia 1020 is finally gettin some competition...