Sony Xperia Z1 f goes official in Japan: compact, but still as powerful as a flagship
0. phoneArena 10 Oct 2013, 03:25 posted on
The Sony Xperia Z1 f, a handset long rumored under the Honami mini codename, has finally gone official in Japan, and it’s a phone many have been waiting for - a compact Android device with top shelf specs…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. alterecho (Posts: 1091; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Looks like the kind of phone i've been looking for...provided its reasonably priced.
5. boosook (Posts: 1088; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
It won't be cheap... the hardware is the best available, save for the smaller screen, but with a Snapdragon 800, 2GB of ram and the 20mp camera of the Z1 don't expect it to be cheap... probably it will be priced just below the Z1, but still as a flagship (since it IS a flagship).
28. sniper1087 (Posts: 408; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
well never seen a 1080p display in a 4.3 inch display, so there might be some limitations.
33. techguyone (Posts: 114; Member since: 18 May 2013)
It's not got a 1080p display, it's a 720
2. istitch (Posts: 171; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
so now all you gotta do it RELEASE IT INTERNATIONALLY SONY!!
23. akki20892 (Posts: 3652; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
They better launch in USA those both phones Z1 and this Z1 mini.
3. TheM16 (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
looks cool...but ill stick with the Z1 I purchased a week ago :)
24. akki20892 (Posts: 3652; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Dude don't ever change your mind damn it.
29. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6729; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Hows you're Z1 so far? Plan on buying it.
4. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1379; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
i have seen enough hentai to know where this is going
6. Finest (Posts: 78; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
Small but terrible :) this little guy's gonna be a threat for all his big brothers
7. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 634; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
WOW! First android manufacturer that realised that human fingers didn't increase in the last few years! For the first time there is a flagship under 4.7" that's truly a flagship and only its resolution/screen size is lowered. Finally! Unlike S4 mini, htc one mini and all other minis who aren't small flagships in any way..
43. techguyone (Posts: 114; Member since: 18 May 2013)
You know why. Are you stupid?
It's because of the waterproofing etc, so either pick slim bezels or have the practicality of the waterproofing. It ain't rocket science.
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
This is going to dominate benchmarks. S800 on a 720p screen...!
11. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 444; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
The Z1 f looks like it is sporting a bigger LED flash than the Z1. Could there be differences in the intensity? Because Samsung have LED flashes like those, the big squared LED, and it is really bright.
12. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 850; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
December release in Japan??? If this went international it would probably only arrive in Early 2014.
14. Deicide (Posts: 47; Member since: 02 Jul 2011)
Perfect for people with small hands without compromising on performance like the other competitors, the best Z1f(emale).
15. maskinmoller (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
So nice to see a truly android alternative to iPhone! I've had iPhones and a lg optimus g which I liked in many ways but simply found it to big to fit in my pockets. At the moment being I use an HTC WP8X and really enjoy the 4.3" size, which I find a good compromise.
Just bought an HTC One Mini for my son, but though it's a nice phone I don't consider it in the same league as the iPhone build wise. And the fact that it isn't even compatible with real racing 3 or fifa 14 is just laughable and undermines my trust in the android ecosystem...
16. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I’m pretty sure Xperia Z1f will crush Iphone 5S and Note 3, just like what Xperia A has been done to Iphone 5 and S4 in japan.
21. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1471; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I think that comment is a bit over the top (Note 3).
26. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Yeah I know, it was just my guess...
But there must be a reason why many Japanese people prefer Xperia A compared to S4 or Iphone 5.
Maybe they prefer compact and waterproof smartphone with cutting edge specs than oversized phones Just like me.
17. Smokin (Posts: 120; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Bring it on Sony. I was kinda torn between N3 or Z1, but i chose the N3 just because it has S Pen. THE ONLY REASON i let z1 slip is it's size. it's ginormous. (this can be applied to ZU too. ZU's wayy to big of a phone)
18. .KRATOS. (Posts: 130; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
It looks great, but what bout the update to 4.4 even the z1 nothing promising bout if it gets the latest update or no.
35. gregariousguy (Posts: 10; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
are you in your senses??
4.4 is not even released and you are asking it :o
40. .KRATOS. (Posts: 130; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
U think ur too smart right, 4.4 will be released in this month n the z1 f will be coming in December with 4.2.2 while every manufacturer is looking to update i don't c y not released directly with 4.4 though it will be couple of months from now.
20. Miracles (Posts: 560; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
The beast has arrived!
Am I mistaken or is it a bit thicker than its bigger counterpart?
34. techguyone (Posts: 114; Member since: 18 May 2013)
It is a bit thicker, but it's not exactly a porker
22. wrm2013 (Posts: 188; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Waiting for this phone to use my upgrade. If this or the 1020 doesn't come to tmobile I shall buy the moto x...... To support American manufacturing of course.
25. Miracles (Posts: 560; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
I have a feeling they'll be coming to T-Mobile(my carrier). I hope Sony isn't stingy and releases here in US. Fingers crossed :)
27. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2866; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Looks super cool but I'm li'l disappointed with the smaller screen and on-screen buttons.
30. buccob (Posts: 1557; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Agree... that why I will probably wait for this phone to come with 4.6" screen... a ZR1
And the other thing that really dissapointed me since the Xperia V, Z, ZR, Z1 and now this one... is that when you are docked in landscape, the microUSB port is not accessible which render MHL, screen mirroring and USB OTG impossible this way...
Sticking to my Xperia Acro S because of this.
39. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2866; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Then you have to use it in the other way. :)
31. Satnamreg (Posts: 29; Member since: 23 Aug 2013)
I'm totally happy with my Z1, and I think I'm going to buy Z1 mini for my sister as she does not browse the net as much as I do.
Great phone, highly recommend!
32. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6729; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I would love the cool yellow one. For once I wish Sony do a world wide release on its phones.
36. dancorcal (Posts: 36; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Now if LG would take the same idea and make the LG G2 Mini. Keep all the most important high end specs from the G2 (proc, ram, camera, and at least 2300mAh) like Sony has, then work their screen magic and get a 4.5 screen in the same dimensions. Looking at the bezels on the Z1f, you could get another .2 screen in those dimensions with LG's tech used on the G2. That would be perfect. Well almost, Sony still has the more premium look and build. So maybe easier if Sony would just rip off LG screen tech and get rid of those bezels that could get 4.5 with those dimensions. Then they would be perfect.
37. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
If Sony want to make 4.5” phone with bezelless body it would be easy for them to do that just like what they have done with Xperia ZL.
Please think rationaly because Z1f is a waterproof phone (IP58) with 1.2/3” Camera sensor and big battery in relatively slim body.
Even LG can’t do a better job than Sony if you don’t believe me just check how big the Optimus GJ bezels.
38. kenemu (Posts: 19; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
IMO, much better than the rotten ip5c. Frankly, its not without shortcomings like oversized bezels, which to someone a deal breaker
41. poping (unregistered)
what the fat bezels...