Sony Xperia Z1 Preview Q&A: Any questions about the Z1?
We've tried to touch on most of its aspects, but we're sure there are still many things that you would like to know about, that haven't found a place in the preview. So, do you have any questions about the Z1? Go ahead, now's the perfect time to ask! Keep in mind that what we have is a pre-release unit of the Xperia Z1, so we may not be able to answer some questions, but in most cases, we should be able to help.
Post your questions as comments right here, and stay tuned for the follow-up post with our answers!
2. anleoflippy (Posts: 545; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Is the speaker of the Z1 better than the Z and ZL?
Also PA, you might wanna change the default home screen wallpaper because many people will think that the display is horrible. It is actually the wallpaper that made it look look like it. What was Sony thinking?
5. aditya.k (Posts: 493; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Yes! Please post a pic with a different, colorful wallpaper! :)
3. suiadan87 (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
1. Battery performance.
2. Camera performance and comparison (both still and video.)
3. Besides all the improvements of the display I would like to know how good the outside visibility is and how the black levels are.
That's the only things I want to know more on before I decide which device to get.
44. suiadan87 (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Oh, and is there any confirmed news on a Android 4.3 release window for this phone? There's a couple features from it that I would appreciate.
And I completely agree with the whole background- change it to something else. I've seen several others and they look incredible on the display.
18. HeWhoDoesNothing (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
No sadly. On the Xperia blog that's one of the things a lot of hard core SONY fans wish "they could change" about the phone.
6. vincelongman (Posts: 2937; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
How does the Z1 feel in the hand in terms of size, in comparison to the LG G2, HTC One, Galaxy S4, and Xperia Z?
Hows the battery life and camera?
How good/easy/quick are Sony's camera attachments?
7. JMartin22 (Posts: 1649; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Do you think this phone or those like it have the ability to catch on with consumers?
8. lee480 (Posts: 196; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Can you post photos of the phone with the red autumn leave themes?
And can you comment on the firmware version?
The latest version ends with .523 btw.
10. lee480 (Posts: 196; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
And one final thing. Can you take a nightshot with the handheld twilight scene mode?
9. qwerty_keypad (Posts: 4; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
My question would be for (1) battery life, (2) dimension (3) triluminos display in-depth review (4) sound or audio quality and last please the CAMERA/VIDEO quality -in depth please,.,,
11. Nviere (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
How is the LOW LIGHT performance in E.G. restaurants, clubs etc.
12. shy2papa (Posts: 228; Member since: 23 Jan 2010)
Is there going to be a 32gb version or it only comes with 16gb?
43. techguyone (Posts: 151; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Doesn't really matter, it has SDCard compatibility
78. jdot104 (Posts: 85; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
It matters to me for things you can't store on an SD card like Google Play Music.
13. Nviere (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Oh and please compare lowlight op Iphone 5s and xperia z1 as soon as they are availabe
14. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
need to see the low light photography with HAND HELD TWILIGHT MODE
with latest firmware
15. pwnarena (Posts: 1050; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
1. do you have the latest firmware?
2. is your unit similar to the retail unit?
3. are you willing to do a drop test?
4. how long does the battery last?
5. can you do samples of HHT or hand-held twilight mode.
6. THIS IS RATHER unusual. why are you doing this? you don't do this when you do other reviews? what's so special that you're giving the z1 some special treatment?
16. HeWhoDoesNothing (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
Wait. The G2 answers haven't been posted yet right?
17. HeWhoDoesNothing (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
Is the battery life better than the G2's?
19. souni (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
What is battery life if usage is mainly web browsing, messaging and social media (not video watching)? How fast will gps usage drain battery?
21. XaErO (Posts: 266; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
I believe Sony Xperia Z1 is having the best mobile camera in it.
So, I'm more looking for following queries.
Sony Xperia Z1 : Questions/Queries
1. How is the overall battery life considering heavy use of browsing, optimum WiFi & Data use ??
2. How fast the battery can charge (considering the Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0) ??
3. Does this phone has Sony's exclusive Clear Bass, xLoud and Clear Audio technologies ??
4. How is the User Interface ?? is it light (like pure Android) or heavy (with extra tech goodies) ??
22. Amir1 (Posts: 308; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
where would you put the Z1 display quality overall? best? second best? third best? etc. after what devices?
23. ghassangs7 (Posts: 9; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
What's the new in Media apps like Walkman and Album And Movies?
35. anleoflippy (Posts: 545; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
I tihnk it's the same as the Z Ultra. Also available in Z, ZL and ZR.
24. saravanan083 (Posts: 19; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
i love this beast but i want suggestion z1 or lg g2 (i love lg g2 more than this except the lack of memory card slot )
76. shahrooz (Posts: 492; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
LG G2 is really good but lack of SD card totally turns me off too
59. sniper1087 (Posts: 472; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
Wrong, yes it can play 4K, and was compared to the note 3 which it was lagging behind, while this performed perfectly
62. buccob (Posts: 2165; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Any links? for what I understand, the chip is very capable, also the camera and everything else... but Sony did not implemented yet...
"Video recording done in 1080p
The Sony Xperia Z1 is capable of capturing 1080p video at 30fps and that's about it. With the inclusion of the powerful Snapdragon 800 SoC we would've liked to see 1080p video recording at 60 fps or even 4K but we guess that's just too much to ask from Sony at this point."
64. katuss (Posts: 11; Member since: 18 Feb 2013)
that's about video recording, he asked about playing a 4K video
68. buccob (Posts: 2165; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Oh right... sorry about the confusion then.
26. jinx405 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
What is audio quality like via good earphones? Thanks!
27. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I'm currently using the Xperia Z, should I upgrade to the Xperia Z1 or wait for next year's Xperia Z2?
28. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1725; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
can you post pic from low light shots w/o led flash? but still waiting for your final unit for review...
29. rahool360 (Posts: 16; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
do you know why xperia z1 is not overclocked to 2.3ghz like Samsung note 3? Is that the reason why it doesn't support 4k support(4k is not much needed though 2.2ghz puzzles me). I suspect if it is underclocked in gpu too..i got this doubt once i saw xiaomi specs sheet where they mentioned about the ghz on gpu and proc... can it be overclocked with help of firmware update? Just curious since I am looking to upgrade to sony xperia z1 and don't want to have an underclocked device
33. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
I believe I heard that there are two versions of the S800, one clocked at 2.3ghz and another one that is less costly and is clocked at 2.2ghz. Which is what I believe they used in the Xperia Z Ultra.
60. sniper1087 (Posts: 472; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
Well while it cant record it, at least can play it there is a video on youtube playing 4K on the Z1 as well as note 3, and the Z1 is smooth, and note 3 lags, probably because of how heavy the UI is on the note 3
30. drdrdrshshsh (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
When is the release date in middle east?
31. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Is there a "shatterproof sheet" (glorified screen protector that comes on the phone) on the display this time around? I know they did it with the Z and Z Ultra and I've heard they have a tendency to scratch.
37. anleoflippy (Posts: 545; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
It does have it. The shatter proof sheet isn't really a screen protector that protects the screen from scratches. The sheet is to prevent the glass from shattering when the phone is drop face on. So just put a screen protector over it and it should be fine.
32. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Also, any word on US carrier availability?
67. nyteryder79 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
It's exclusive to T-Mobile last I heard.
36. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3580; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Why the designs of Z1 is bigger than Z? Is this because of higher waterproofing certification? Is the camera picture quality of Z1 really better than Z?
61. sniper1087 (Posts: 472; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
I heard is because of the bigger battery
38. istitch (Posts: 178; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
The Z1 is significantly heavier than it's competitors on paper, but is it a burden to hold for web browsing?
41. goprochyo (Posts: 8; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
1. how about screen viewing angle and sunlight visibality campare to the galaxy note 3 ? which one is great disply?
2. how about video stabilization campare to nokia lumia 1020 or lg g2 (OIS)
3. why the all sony xperia device disply has white claudi display not clear like other device (nokia lumia,galaxy s,htc one,iphone) ??
42. Selim (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
i want some example about the speaker performance , is it loud or not , clear sound or not , cuz am gonna buy that phone and its important so much for me.
45. zmtfatzombie (Posts: 25; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Does Walkman Player shows lyrics like in iPod? I'm changing from iPhone 4s to this phone.
All my Audio files have ID3 embedded lyrics and I wish not connect internet everytime I want to read lyrics (Like Ttpod or MusicXmatch).
46. papss (unregistered)
What kind of pricing is Sony going for with this phone? Are they going to do the typical out of this world pricing or are they going to be closer to the G2 price wise?
47. DLanor1107 (Posts: 31; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
Overall, is it worth upgrading from Z? coz i currently have XZ... thanks
48. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
This seems like a good initiative by PA, going by the response to the G2 Q&A.
Just if you could launch some forum or section where we can post our questions about any thing or topic, rather than one specific thing.Even if the guys at PA can't answer all those queries, we can have them answered by other users, who may have knowledge about the thing.
Just a suggestion. :)
49. in_core (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Xperia Z1 being a 5" phone is very wide 74mm. S4, ZL and other 5" phones are under 70mm.
How does that affect the usability of the phone?
That is supposed to make it tougher to hold in one hand to carry and also to use.
50. jb4674 (Posts: 143; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
I have one question.....
When in the flying F#$% is this thing going to be available in the US and for how much? I'm sick of seeing the iPhone everywhere in PA's website....
51. Khanro (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
On the Z and the ZL there was a regular burst mode that would shoot low, mid, and high quality photos in different resolutions. My question is whats the resolution of the regular burst (not time shift) on the Z1