Sony Xperia Z1 20 MP camera photo and video samples roundup
0. phoneArena 05 Sep 2013, 03:53 posted on
The long-rumored Sony Xperia Z1 is finally here, and improvised camera tests are starting to trickle down from everywhere. Granted, Sony made its own tests, which, unsurprisingly, put the Z1 on top of the cameraphone world against such juggernauts like the Nokia Lumia 1020 and 925, Samsung Galaxy S4, Apple iPhone 5 and the HTC One, but it's based on a survey of people's perceptions about the photos in a blind comparison, so it's rather subjective. Nevertheless, we are supplying Sony's results in the slideshow below, before we take off to the real-life photos and videos that we and other tech fans managed to grab with the Z1...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. eli577 (Posts: 79; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
The samples look okay to me, a bit too much noise filtering, but overall quality is good enough.
The video quality is not as goos as the photo quality though. IMO
39. _Bone_ (Posts: 2061; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Also some severe sharpening, personally I like the results as row as possible and I'll apply post-processing if I wanted to. The iPhone 5, PureView 808, S4 Octa and G2 are fine examples of camera done with little PP.
46. torgrim (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 May 2013)
This (only 12-hour use) review says the same:
Too bad Sony cant make a stand out camera, I had hopes for Z1...
50. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3515; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
They are saying it might be the BEST camera phone for Android. That's pretty good in my eyes.
How awesome will it be to take some GREAT high-quality underwater photos in a pool or at the beach?
That is why I think the Sony Xperia Z1 has a HUGE advantage over other phones.
Imagine a water proof Samsung Galaxy Note IV? I am salivating at the thought. lol
55. torgrim (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Yes, I do like the water proofness and the design, but I need a CAMERA-phone, and photo quality is very important for me. Looking at the samples above (the real samples taken by PA at the launch) they seem very blurry, noisy and filtered if you zoom in.
Well, the upcoming camera comparison reviews will show if Z1 can compete with S4 or IPhone 5, and even Lumia 1020 (doubt it, but if it comes close its good enough for me). ...and next week its the launch of IPhone 5S with new and improved camera. If none can do I am actually tempted to buy Lumia 1020 (even though WP8 scares me...). :)
56. papss (Posts: 3447; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I have a 1020 and am using it as my primary camera at Disney World this week and its produced great results. Its a great phone but would like a bigger screen.
59. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3515; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
If camera picture quality is SO important, then you need a standalone camera. If quality is what you want you will NEVER achieve that with a camera phone.
I have a 18MP Sony Cyber shot camera that takes EPIC pictures & always use it for special occasions like birthdays, weddings, vacations & things of that nature. NEVER will I use a camera phone for that.
For everyday photos that are spare of the moment my HTC Droid DNA's 8MP camera is more than efficient. I am sure the Sony Xperia Z1's camera will kill anything that’s out there in the land of Android & Apple.
The Nokia's from Microsoft are STILL king in the camera phone world, BUT not to par with standalone cameras.
62. torgrim (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 May 2013)
I have have a very good standalone camera (Sony RX100 + Nikon DSLR), but they dont fit in my pockets...
I did not have the RX100 at hand when my daughter took her first steps (but my Nokia N8 saved the moment) and I dont take my camera with me on company events or out with friends (makes me look like a nerdish tourist), but the best moments to capture often times happens right there.
If you wear your 18 MP Sony Cyber Shot around your neck or in your pocket all the time, then I understand you, but the only gadget I wear most of the time is my phone. Thats why I want a damn good camera on that phone! To capture those small, precious moments that happens before you know it! :)
66. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3515; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Ok you are missing my point. All I am saying is that quality & camera phone should not be put in the same sentence.
I am willing to bet the Sony Xperia Z1 20MP camera will be perfect for what it is. It will take better photos than most Android devices out there. If you are looking for the BEST camera phone you need to get a WP8 device from Nokia.
STILL your Sony RX100 + Nikon DSLR will deliver the quality you are looking for because EVEN the BEST Nokia phones can't touch THAT type of quality.
It seems like you are beating a dead horse.
2. maccess (Posts: 479; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
pretty good on very low light condition.. just average on a good light situation.. just my opinion..
3. pwnarena (Posts: 720; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
wow. that last photo is impressive. is that really from the z1?
4. cameogt (Posts: 88; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
i think the color (edit: reproduction) of Z1 in artificial light seems washed out.
5. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 547; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
That's pretty amazing. Good job sony
still waiting for a full review from pa though.
29. emadshiny (Posts: 1091; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
You can see more samples here:
Results are simply amazing.
34. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
yes i also checked those
and u can even check 100% crops here of above listed photos
42. _Bone_ (Posts: 2061; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
They are just 8MP and not entirely sharp, the 100% crops that are posted show some processing or lens blurryness. Look a bit oversaturated too.
44. eli577 (Posts: 79; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
Just one question. Why downsampleing it to 8 mpx, this way 20 mpx sensor is not needed. Full res images please.
Thx for the link anyway.
6. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
Lumia 1020 night sample
z1 beats it out of water
but lumia 925 was close
and video samples are from last month with no genuine trademark that they belong to Z1
60. shikroi (Posts: 182; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Really isn't saying a lot. A manual increase of the shutter speed would have blown them both out of the water.
7. PAPINYC (Posts: 2044; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Those are some of the worst photo samples I've ever seen and it has nothing to do with the Xperia Z1! Who took those pictures - Helen Keller??
33. tech2 (Posts: 1331; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
You do realize these photos are supplied by Sony and not an independent tech review site, right ?!
Even I could point out the 4th picture looks over-exposed in Sony Z1 but I guess well have wait until a more credible comparisons are posted !
35. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
as if comparisons made before look gs4 images glowing and glowing in low light???
36. tech2 (Posts: 1331; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
It stood on par with Lumia 1020 and out-scored Lumia 925, Iphone 5 and Htc One on this very website's night comparison test.
Think before you say and don't be a blind fanboy !
40. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
u better check mr fanboy
65. Ronny666 (Posts: 108; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
Well, the reviewer himself is a fanboy.
All of the comparisons made in the link were with VERY low light to almost NO light which is indeed not a fair comparison.
This is more practical comparison:http://www.phonearena.com/revi
Clearly, you may not agree with the above if you are the type of a person who snaps pictures in very dark places such as under your skirt. :D
72. tech2 (Posts: 1331; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
LOL...........He thinks taking low-light pictures inside the house is the only thing what all consumers care about xD.........No wonder he is an editor on a website called 'geek'
43. maccess (Posts: 479; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
it's so obvious they didn't turn on the low light setting on the gs4 camera.. i have it and i know it can do much2 better than that silly result sponsored by sony..
58. pwnarena (Posts: 720; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
it's the same thing when the xperia z was tested here. everything is in auto mode for fairness sake.
most phone camera can be made to perform better with the right settings if you know what to do. it's just that they use auto settings for comparisons.
18. livyatan (Posts: 560; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
I don't see why would anyone pick the Nokia(Microsoft) Lumia 1020 over this.
Granted, its camera is still better but not by such a margin it would justify the choice since this phone is superior in so many other areas.
26. TheM16 (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
In A Lumia you might get a better camera only but OS needs lots of time to mature... future will tell...
But in a Sony you'll get the camera + better phone all around.
27. FeRoZ (Posts: 33; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
So where z LG G2 photo samples ???
@ phonearena how about a photo comparison LG G2 vs Z1 vs L1020 ???
28. proto (Posts: 44; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
good colors...BUT!!! i am disapointed with low details...it is horrible. I expected more.
30. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2103; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Its amazing, S4 rocks in low light ;D...
BTW Z1 & 925 was very good in low light condition but in good light 1020 is best.
Good job Sony. Now waiting for the reviews, blind tests and camera comparisons.
But but but in normal photos there's so much loss of details and pics are pixelated so much,. What is this Sony?
38. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
now u look,think,examine ,understand and then say Mr fanboy
47. papss (Posts: 3447; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
1020 still best all but it's not by as much as I'd hoped. Can the z1 zoom with clarity? What about iso? I'm loving that on my 1020? Taking moving water pics and cranking the iso up to 3000 to show the individual water drops in motion.
48. papss (Posts: 3447; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
PA this new format for your thumbs up sucks a big one...
49. google-apple (Posts: 34; Member since: 19 Jul 2013)
Xperia, Lumia just Rock...
iPhone lags behind, still will complete the race...
Htc ONE needs someone to carry it to the finish line...
S4 didn't hear the gunshot I guess... (at least when low light race was happening)... ;)
52. papss (Posts: 3447; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Also i know in the past Sony was terrible with updates.. How are they now? Phone seems pretty big for a 5'er doesn't it? Maybe it's just me though. If att gets this I may have to go try it out.
53. sergiobr (Posts: 312; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
It´s not just about the camera. It´s a important comparision too, but this is a wonderful smartphone with EXCELENT camera (for me the best Android), different from those with WP. They´re just a good camera.
57. papss (Posts: 3447; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
You see the price of this Sony? They are crazy if they think this will fly. This won't move units at all. Typical Sony overpricing their products. Looks like its note 3 for my second phone.
67. FeRoZ (Posts: 33; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Check dis link out u can buy lg g2 32 gb with 3000mah battery n micro sd card slot doesnt get n its about 580 € cheers ;)
54. Sonny_09 (Posts: 48; Member since: 24 May 2013)
Really? you can't get anything in ultra-low light with 1020? I highly doubt that....
63. SIGPRO (Posts: 348; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Sorry to say the picture quality is not that good, en the video quality is horrible compared tot the Lumia 1020. I dont know why the Lumia 1020 pictures are so dark i just dont believe this test! try to zoom Z1 pictures....to much noise, the 1020 eat's this phone!
64. papss (Posts: 3447; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
That's where the larger sensor comes in. I agree completely.
68. juandante (Posts: 214; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
And that's where ultra small pixels comes in. I don't agree at all.
70. papss (Posts: 3447; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
You can disagree all you want but its simply commonsense that proves my comment.
73. rgxVOiD (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
You're seeing a pre production model & software, might get improve before the launch
69. lthawker (Posts: 3; Member since: 05 Sep 2013)
For 20mp ...photos not so good...noisy...details.less...
I see lg g2 more more better than z1...in camera part...
But let's be honest...1020 still rules...just problem with wp8...
71. torgrim (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 May 2013)