Sony Xperia Z camera compared against Nokia’s juggernauts, the 808, N8, Lumia 920
0. phoneArena 08 Mar 2013, 07:31 posted on
The Sony Xperia Z boasts a 13-megapixel camera with the new Exmor RS sensor and back-side illumination…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
19. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
And the dislikes are coming in 3...2...1. Half of them are android fans who want to thrust their opinion as always true down others throats, half of them blindly hate anything non-android, half of them know nothing about laws, company policies and patent system yet come and comment here.
50. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3049; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I can't understand them hard core fans! It's all there for them to see yet they can't seem to digest it!
I like Android, i like Nokia...i like everything in technology that is reasonable and rational.
But when people comment silly things like this...it's just stupid. Why wouldn't we agree that Z has the better camera if the images were clean, clear and better than the 808 or 920 or whatever the competition is?
Man! It's war down here...
89. sbw44 (Posts: 424; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
LOL Sony is still trying to catch up to the N8!!!
These fan boys just cant accept that Nokia has better camera's then their laggy Quad Core androids, which they actually have no use for except benchmark score's! Lmao!
144. Dastrix (unregistered)
LOL his field of view is probably even smaller than the one on the Xperia Z!
16. hipnotika (Posts: 317; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
pureview 808 > lumia 920 > n8 > xperia z
this is the truth. i am not fan of anyone.
18. aco96 (Posts: 212; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Nokia 808 is outstanding, Xperia S and N8 are very good too. Lumia 920's photos look noisy, and Xperia Z has blurry photos with very low details.
20. rgxVOiD (Posts: 436; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Sony, fix your f**king software
on the other note, this can be easily faked since PA hates Sony
21. ahhxd717 (Posts: 323; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
I wish they compared more "real life" pictures. A lot of these just looked zoomed in so obviously the 808 will fare better. How about comparing pics people would actually take on a day to day basis?
76. shikroi (Posts: 187; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
None of them were zoomed in. The 808 has a wider fov, its as simple as that.
94. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
they are all zoomed in. zoomed on maximum zoom of the phone's capability.
25. Sarajevo (Posts: 38; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
This guy has "shaking" hands. All pictures are bad and unclear, especially on Sony. Also, I think he used old version of L920 without update of camera app.
28. SIGPRO (Posts: 549; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Again they used a Lumia 920 with old firmware!
But syill Nokia rocks the camera department in phones!
36. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I mean the camera, the device itself is not bad
31. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Nokia obviously has the best smartphone cams, but lets agree to dissagree, coz the Android brats won't ever be able to let this rest ;o)
41. lonestrider (Posts: 86; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
I don't think comparing another camera with 808's is a good idea. 808 have the best camera. But not the OS. Hahaha. Even 920's camera isn't better, I think.
95. sbw44 (Posts: 424; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
What does the OS have to do with a camera comparison?
plus that Symbian device has more features then an iphone! also it can do everything what android can do with less resources!
43. Googlethis (Posts: 171; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I enjoy using my 808 for taking pics wasnt decent investment now if I can find more things to use it for beyond taking pictures
46. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
i use mine as my main phone, does all i need and more. i know most on here cant understand symbian is a good os still and if you not into loads of apps and games its great.
this sensless hate when symbian is brought up is stupid
52. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
You and UrbanPhantom should shut up. Everyone who feels Nokia/Apple/iOS/Symbian/MeeGo/WP/MS are good should do the same and leave this forum. The only thing is android is god. Accept it or leave it. If you know what I mean/
54. Googlethis (Posts: 171; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Never had a problem with symbian just learning how to use it still not hating or anything I actually dont use my note 2 and iphone 5 to learn how to use the phone.
56. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
its not hard to learn if you picked up android etc
main plus points are battery consumption and the fact it runs smooth on less then other os's
57. Googlethis (Posts: 171; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Havnt had it very long like learning everything I can about it
47. BLikens1619 (Posts: 54; Member since: 12 Apr 2008)
I have a hard time believing that the settings for image stabilization on the Xperia Z were not turned on. My Xperia Ion with little less of a camera takes better quality photos.
58. drpain (Posts: 85; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
Wow. So let's see:
Terrible washed out screen
Poor viewing angles
No SD card
Non removable battery
Mediocre battery life
No wireless charging
No dedicated camera button
Fragile glass back
2012 processor tech
Sony is so obsolete in today's tech world. Wonder how much longer they will hang around...
63. SamsungFan (Posts: 201; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
No sd card slot
Dual core processor. Others are using quad core and now moving to octa core
Non removable battery
Poor multi tasking
Weight of a brick
70. freebee269 (Posts: 529; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
No sd card slot - true
Poor os - false. the people that actually use WP8 like it.
Less apps - true. but every app i had on android i also have on WP8.
Dual core processor. Others are using quad core and now moving to octa core - true. but WP8 is efficient enough to where it doesnt need more processing power to make up for its shortcomings.
Non removable battery - true
Poor multi tasking - false. you can have multiple apps open at 1 time in WP8 and also switch between them. i do it every day.
Weight of a brick - false. the lumia 920 weighs less than a 16oz bottle of water. i guess you're saying a bottle of water is too heavy for you. suggestion: get out and exercise.
75. PhoenixWright (Posts: 99; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Do you know that the majority of phone stuff cant utilize all the cores and that most only utilize the 1st core?
80. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
You: No brain, only blind love for samsung.
83. lolol (Posts: 64; Member since: 14 Nov 2012)
Can't stand a great phone? Get a life you pathetic Samsung plastic loving loser..
73. PhoenixWright (Posts: 99; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Everything you said described the iPhone!
You evil person, mistaking XZ for iPhone-insert number here- LOL!
XZ, Doesn't have a glass back.
2012 Tech is expected since it materialized LATE 2012.
And it supports 64GB SD cards.
and You're missing the water resistance.
121. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Lol it always comes down to the water resistance and have you ever held the z as yes it does have a glass back!
79. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
IT HAS AN SD CARD.
And IT'S NOT fragile, you fool.
On contrary. It is super tough quality craftmanship product
111. pyradark (Posts: 788; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
hahaha!! SOny is always been OUTdated, but wait where is nokia in smartphone chart, opps out of top 5 while the outdated sony is in 3rd hahaha.
nokia is only on 3rd spot worlwide thanks to its cheapo phones
62. Guarulhos (Posts: 39; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Very Interesting… Great Comparative !
Unquestionably The 808 PureView PRO Was The Best, But With Good Light Conditions, If All Went Well !
In My Opinion The Top Were Respectively:
1º Nokia 808 PureView PRO (Armed With Its No Fuss, No Image Post - Processing, Large 1/1.2" Sensor And Carl Zeiss Lens Assembly, Is Unchallenged Winner... Pure Detail, Natural Colors... Amazing Results)
2º Nokia NSeries N8 ( Large 1/1.83" Sensor, Carl Zeiss Lens Assembly, Great Results, Great Detail, Great Cameraphone)
3º Lumia 920 PureView LITE (Good Results, Average Noise, But With Surreal Colors)
4º Sony Xperia Z (Still Images Is Heavily Processed And Poor Image Post - Processing)
5º Sony Xperia S (Images Are Very Noisy, Poor Detail And Surreal Colors) !!!
66. Guarulhos (Posts: 39; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
P.S: Nokia 808 PureView PRO (__ABYSS__) All The Other Phones With Camera !!!
96. sbw44 (Posts: 424; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Like I said all the rest (samsung,sony,apple,htc etc) are trying to catch up to the N8! which is 3 years old!
74. freebee269 (Posts: 529; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
this is how i'd rate the picture comparisons.
first sample :808, N8, xperia s, lumia 920, xperia z
second sample: 808, N8, xperia s, lumia 920, xperia z
third sample: 808, N8, lumia 920, xperia s, xperia z
fourth sample: 808, xperia z, lumia 920, xperia s, N8
i did notice the lumia 920 had alot of noise in the samples, this is a direct byproduct of the old firmware. so PR1.1 wasnt used in these samples. i have no doubt this was intentional by phonearena.
105. oyalinkaya (Posts: 19; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Finally, someone with a rightful eye.
It really is intriguing that Xperia Z has given the worst output in the first three pictures, yet has given an output which is the closest to those of 808 in quality in the last one.
I think the "shaky-hand" and the "must-use-the-auto-settings-coz-I-have-no-knowledge-on-taking-good-photos-with-a-smart-phone" syndromes have been spread amongst the PA editors.
78. yero789 (unregistered)
I think that the best is Nokia 808,then Xperia Z,N8 and Nokia Lumia 920(I think they're equal) and the worst one is Sony Xperia S(I had it,and macro shots are great,but the camera overall is awful with a lot of noise),,just my opinion,don't kill me(virtually) :D :D
87. vivzek (Posts: 29; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
This is clearly a partiality towards Z. The clicks have not been taken properly.
91. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
lol. n8 still performs very well FOR A 3 YEAR OLD SYMBIAN DEVICE. other companies got burned here. and it's 2013.
98. mandar1997 (Posts: 6; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
I think Z's camera Will get fix after update
99. mandar1997 (Posts: 6; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Xperia Z camera is not too bad and not too good.and i think z's camera Will get fix after update
104. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
yes, n8 and n9 are epic !! (n9 because of meego, hope jolla release a sailfish phone), i hope nokia eos trounces s4 and note 3
106. Kalevro (Posts: 56; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
By looking at these photos I am seriously disappointed by SONY. An I want to be a SONY fan I really do. Well maybe next year :D like always SONY style.
107. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
if you want the real comparison, ignore the first two pics and just look at the last two.
those last ones show Z's real ability.
the first two were taken while the photographer was shaking!!
110. pyradark (Posts: 788; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
what to expect from a phone with no shutter button, Xperia S is much better than Z and 920.
of course hands down to pureview and N8!!!
cant wait too see sample on ZL it has shutter button so im hoping its not that blurry on all shots
133. oyalinkaya (Posts: 19; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
On the opposite shutter buttons cause much more shake in any given situation unless you use a tripod.
Tap-to-focus and tap-to-snap are the best photo taking options ever. I have an Xperia S and the device in general has known auto-focus issues. Yet, with tap-to-snap I take pretty decent shots even in low-light conditions.
Yet, on every phone, when you use the shutter button, you apply pressure towards one end of the phone this momentum affects the stability of the device in your hands. That's why, shutter button is not a nice option but just an imitation of mechanic cameras and dSLR's.
If you have photographic knowledge you can take nice photos even with a 3.2Mpx. Once I owned SE K810i, and it was so impressive that most of my friends left their cameras at home if I was hitting the party. Now, I wish it had had a touch-screen and a tap-to-snap option, instead of a shutter button. ;)
136. pyradark (Posts: 788; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
ohh I forgot there is a tap then focus then snap on xperia on my sis phone. hahaha.. my iphone 5 sucks, theres no way to focus then snap in one tap. i have to tap inorder to focus then tap the snap button... poor me hahahaha
120. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Xperia z is epic fail while nokia stunns it with its camera quality.. To the water she goes...
123. DesmondZ01 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
You know what......... dslr will beat all of these hahahaha