Sony Xperia Z Ultra vs Galaxy Mega 6.3 vs Ascend Mate: specs comparison of the Goliaths
0. phoneArena 25 Jun 2013, 04:26 posted on
Right off the bat we notice how much thinner the Xperia Z Ultra is than even the 8 mm Mega 6.3. At 6.5 mm it is the thinnest Full HD smartphone out there, and also just a tad heavier than the other two, despite the much larger screen, the glass chassis and the metal frame around the Triluminous display, which also has the largest pixel density of them all...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
The Galaxy Mega 6.3 is the worst compared to Xperia Z Ultra and Ascend Mate. lol xD
4. tech2 (Posts: 3059; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
There also 1 more important aspect to comparison which you've forgotten, its the PRICE!!!!!
Galaxy Mega 6.3 is a mid-range device while clearly Xperia Z isn't which would most likely reflects in its price.
Also, except the battery, Mega 6.3 beats Ascend mate in almost all departments.
10. wendygarett (unregistered)
Compare to price, Huawei win
compare to spec, Sony win
sorry to throw the wet blanket tho but, at least Samsung can win due to its gorgeous design :)
15. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Samsung can win due to its gorgeous design?
It must be a Sarcasm.
17. tech2 (Posts: 3059; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Samsung is just in between, the sweet spot ! :)
23. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Yeah, the Mega is more like a sacrificial lamb in this comparo. I am thinking the ZUltra is a 7 inch tablet with a phone added on. I would love to see the review. Speaking of which, when is the review, PA?
30. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yeah, I would like to see the review too! Come on PA, hurry!
39. thelukewarm (Posts: 18; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
agree, and also have you seen the thickness of that xperia?? it's thin as f#ck!!
42. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 746; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Huwaei Ascend Mate ks the white version of the Z ultra haha
31. oister85 (Posts: 440; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
It is a deal breaker. Small battery, 8mp camera, no led flash. I was so exited about this phone. One word. (Disappointing). That's why Samsung is killing the competition.
36. saiki4116 (Posts: 375; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
well said, but Huawei should be given credit for what they did, a Humungous battery with intel's power savvy baseband processor and decent design and flat UI(not my favourite) and o
37. saiki4116 (Posts: 375; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
well said, but Huawei should be given credit for what they did, a Humungous battery with intel's power savvy baseband processor and decent design
3. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Size comparison aside, the Xperia Z obliterates both the 6.3 and Ascend, sd 800 alone and various Sony technologies means that they have put a lot of effort into this.
5. Trex95 (Posts: 787; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Galaxy mega 6.3 the lowest when it comes to specs. But the good things about it it's bigger battery, wider screen plus the 16:9 aspect ratio with thin bezel, Sony great specs, Ascend best display IPS LCD.
6. hateftotti (Posts: 172; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Just look at dimensions
Sony ZU's screen is just 0.1inch bigger than Mega 6.3
But it is 1cm taller and wider.
I still prefer Mega 6.3 design with less bezel :)
13. adjou (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 Jul 2010)
Well, for the extra 1cm, you get:
-Water and dust proofing
-Much better processor
So yeah, you decide
16. hateftotti (Posts: 172; Member since: 03 May 2011)
I've just talked about design.
ZU blows Mega 6.3 out of the water for sure :)
22. adjou (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 Jul 2010)
Oh ok, for the extra 1cm, you get a thinner profile.
And the phone itself is technically smaller than the mega, since if you times the height, width and depth up:
Mega = 117990.4 cm^3
XZU = 107514.42 cm^3
So yeah, Mega is just not that good tech-wise or in your case, dimension-wise
7. pongnamu (Posts: 12; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
So far, ZU looks the best. Really, SONY have done extremely nice job on ZU. :)
8. _Bone_ (Posts: 2149; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Interestingly the Note III will back the 13MP Exmor R(S) with OIS when Sony only built in the 8MP Exmor R into this phabship. I also don't like the given battery stats either, 5.5hrs of video playback which could be a triple for the Note III. Otherwise it's a good device that makes sense, but without a Wacom digitizer I'm not sure you shouldn't get a mid-range phablet or the now quite well priced Note II for $200 cheaper instead, or just wait for the Note III with S-pen and epic battery life.
I'm more interested of the Honami.
11. adjou (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 Jul 2010)
Nope, Xperia ZU packs a 8MP Exmor RS sensor, like the one in the Xperia SP.
12. rallyguy (Posts: 620; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
The Mega isn't supposed to be a high end phone.
38. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 140; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Exactly. It was really just an experiment by Samsung. They didn't really try to make it all that good spec-wise at all.
21. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
He's from India. I think the only phone he likes is the MIcromax Canvas 4.
P.s Micromax is from India.
40. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Many a times ppl living in caves cannot see world outside. I don't even own a MMX. Last phone that i bought was Xperia TX (yea in India).
So step out of your cave and try and see some sunshine.
41. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
And BTW, no harm in liking MMX. Don't want to be somethat who goes drooling over anything that one company releases ...
18. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4201; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The Xperia ZU is the biggest by far, but it has the smallest battery. Nobody cares about thickness as long as it's below 9mm, give us battery.
20. PunyPoop (Posts: 750; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Buy MOTOLITE! or for more mobility, AAA :D
25. Phaze0085 (Posts: 108; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Im really put off by the fact that it doesnt have FLASH. I mean, how do you built a flagship phone and leave out the flash? That means no LED flash light on the thing, like im used to with the Galaxy Series. Thats the only thing that makes the ZU imperfect. Better luck next time Sony.
33. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
DANIELLLL, my little poochie, you spelled better 'batter' in the second paragraph. Nice article, though, but my small feminine hands need something smaller; I'm just not used to holding anything so big.
34. rency0722 (Posts: 134; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 uses USB 3.0 now.
35. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7043; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
VERY IMPRESSIVE SPECS Sony u out done the GALAXY Mega. I'll wait for the U.S. RELEASE DATE
43. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 746; Member since: 11 May 2013)
I really dont get the stupidity of praising the design of ZU..
The fact that it looks like Xperia Z will not surprise you by this time, and it gone worst with that thick bezels So thick! And i saw some hands On, and the glass is super fingerprint magnet.. with those sharp edges..:/ that design language willwork with a tablet like Xperia Tablet Z but not in phones.. Xperia Z already feels uncomfortable.. and Huwaei Ascend Mate looks like a white version of Z Ultra..
Anyway i just want Sony to bring back the Xperia Arc S designs :(
45. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 209; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
The Xperia ZU has a better battery life than the Ascend mate yet a much smaller battery.