Sony Xperia Z Ultra is the largest 'phone' ever: here is how it eclipses all others (size comparison)
0. phoneArena 25 Jun 2013, 05:52 posted on
The Sony Xperia Z Ultra is real, it's official and... it's humongous. Sony calls its 6.44-inch creation a smartphone, most people would call it a phablet, and in reality it looks much more like a tablet than a phone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. adjou (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 Jul 2010)
Where's the Xperia ZU and X10 mini comparison!! :)
17. sid07desai (Posts: 249; Member since: 03 May 2012)
lol. Xperia ZU's battery only must be bigger than the X10 mini whole phone XD
31. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Ha ha! My room partner still has that phone. It looks and feels like a soapbar.
77. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Where is the comparison between Asus Nexus 7 and Z ultra?
30. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
85. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
A high-end phone in 2013 in 2013 without flash and only 3000 mAh to power this big phone, what happened Sony?
63. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
They forgot fonepad. Asus even claim it to be a phone. So technically, zu is not the largest phone.
64. jsdechavez (Posts: 701; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
You forgot about the Galaxy and Note Tabs.. They all have 3G variants that can make calls..
82. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Calls but I think it cant send messages.
7. rodkurt (Posts: 128; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
why don't they just make it a tab with a 7.0 inch screen.
76. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
This phone is not shockproof dear.
10. anleoflippy (Posts: 251; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Impressive stuff from Sony.
But I do not want it as I already have the ZL because of its compact size and 5" screen which is a more than enough pleasant viewing experience (No, I don't care about the viewing angles) and the performance has been good since the Android 4.2.2 update. I have the Xperia Tablet Z to do those Tablet task anyway.
11. MachidoDen (banned) (Posts: 202; Member since: 30 May 2013)
I think its a mini version of xperia tablet Z
But with calling functionality
12. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
I would get it since it says it comes with a handset accessory to make calls (assuming its actually convenient) if so, I could use it as a tablet and a phone for sure....nice one Sony :)
14. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 801; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Wait the phone has no camera flash & only 3000mAh battery to power a 6.44" screen? are you effin kindding me SONY? ok the battery is justifiable but lack of Camera Flash?
This would probably again look incomplete when it's gonna be size up with the Note 3.
15. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
And some people say Note2 it's huge! Hahahahah Samsung I'm waiting for Note3!
20. tiara6918 (Posts: 1349; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Look at the iPhone beside the xperia z ultra
21. Phaze0085 (Posts: 99; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
these frontal comparisons dont really do anyone justice. Theres a hands-on size comparison on engadet, and the Z compared to the ZU doesnt look nearly as small as it does here. But I sure am happy its 6.4 and not 6.2. You go Sony. You just may get my money this year. On something other than gaming media.
25. wendygarett (unregistered)
Attacks on titans? Run iPhone run!!! Or else you will get swallowed!!! :D
26. tec-seeker (Posts: 4; Member since: 01 Dec 2012)
It makes the xperia z lock like a tiny phone
32. spideyhead256 (Posts: 148; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
damn i friggin love it! it's like the kind of tablet i can roam around with and not feel awkward! (totally non-sarcastic) i'm getting this for sure.my s3 will remain my phone and this will become my mini tablet.
34. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5198; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Hahaha.....the iPhone 5 is so tiny! xD
65. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
And yet... that would've been a large Android phone just 3 years ago!
68. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Lol I know I remember when the iPhone 1st came out with a 3.5" screen I thought that is a brick of a phone and that I would never carry a phone that big and now I own a 5" s4.. How our perception change over time..
35. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
The Note sure doesn't look that mighty now is it...?
Just kidding i love my note 2...
55. smartphonelover (Posts: 36; Member since: 26 Nov 2009)
I'm used to other people's phones fitting inside of my Galaxy Note 2's screen. It's so weird to have the Galaxy Note 2 fit inside the screen of another phone.
56. smartphonelover (Posts: 36; Member since: 26 Nov 2009)
Oh and why it would be awesome if they just skipped form 1080p to 2.5k with these phablets. If a 7 inch tablet can have it then maybe it's not that much harder to fit it in to something a little smaller. Come on Galaxy Note 3 with 2.5k screen :)
58. sonisoe (Posts: 323; Member since: 06 May 2009)
no flash.... so its more of a tablet than a phone...but nowadays how can you tell the difference..
59. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 629; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Sony's limit of being iDIOT. They have put in everything in this phone, awesome hardware, latest android, fast processor, more RAM 8MP cam, 2MP front cam, but didnt put flash on camera. FTW
60. Sondae (Posts: 185; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
Its feeling awkward yet bulky carrying big phone plus it wont fit on my small bag. I am fine with 5.38 inches lower.
61. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 629; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Still, compared to 7" nexus tab, its quite small & handy. May be I can get into my pocket...:)
67. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Why is it that a phone with software button still has huge bezels.. The zu is much taller than the mega even though the screen is less than 0.2" bigger and the mega has physical buttons.. No doubt the zu is a beast of a phone but you would think with sw buttons it would be similar or same size as the mega..
75. Genersis (Posts: 179; Member since: 29 May 2013)
That is pretty strange.
I guess that's the trade off they made for making it thinner. A poor decision in my opinion.
69. amats69 (Posts: 1008; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
SONY XZU vs SAMSUNG Galaxy NOTE 3 vs the Rumored HTC T6 (Maxx) exciting!
71. almostdone (Posts: 110; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Why is the Mega so much smaller than the Z Ultra with only 0.1" difference in screen size?
The bezel is way too big and no rounded corners makes it even worse.
74. Taters (Posts: 2661; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Samsung makes small big phones. Their internals are the best by far. Look at any tear down and they manage to fit everything and have it dissipating heat properly. Look at HTC however, and it is a mess stacked like a pyramid with a blatant disregard for proper parts placement.
That is why i find it extremely laughable that Samsung is knocked for their build quality when they are by far the best at manufacturing and internal design processes. And they should be since they manufacturing everything.
88. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
So then explain the Xperia ZL... Sony has greater expertise in that area.
95. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 763; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
The ZL is considerably thicker than the Galaxy S4 while having a smaller battery, Taters is right, Samsung does know how to make small big phones and the interior is very well designed.
100. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
If the tablet is thin, it is great. If a phone is too thin, (in the case of the S4) and the back and settings buttons are too sensitive, it could mean disaster. My friend has his S3 app-locked and I wanted to play a game on his phone. Every time I try to do so I touch the 'back' button by accident and he had to unlock the app again which is very annoying. Sony really caught the key of fixing that issue. Think about that. If the ZL was thinner, that means a smaller area of you hand can fit on the back of the phone, making your fingers stick out and hard to touch the screen without dangerously gripping your phone or accidentally touching any part of the screen. It's not all about thickness and size, but application. Tablets are better to be thin cause a thick tablet means hard handling, but they are so big that a thin tablet would still let you have plenty of grip on your device without holding it dangerously.
72. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 139; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
That "phone" is way too big. They should of at least made the bezels smaller.
73. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6226; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I'm buying this baby the day its release in the U.S.
78. galanoth (Posts: 306; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
The Z Ultra is only .14" bigger than the Galaxy Mega 6.3 but the phone looks way bigger.
Sony could have cut down on the top and bottom bezels a little.
81. najib1312 (Posts: 99; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Back in 2011 when i first boought my smartphone (xperia neo v) that has 3.7" screen, Samsung S2 with 4.3" screen was introduced. And I thought to myself "who on earth would buy a phone this big?" and that the maximum screen size i would opt for is 4".
Now in 2013, the S4 'mini' comes with 4.3" screen and I feel comfortable with the 5" Xperia ZL. What a revolution!!
83. Trex95 (Posts: 543; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Xperia ZU I'm a basketball player and swimmer
Mega6.3 I'm a wrestler
Note 2 I'm a boxer
S4 I'm football player
Nexus 4 I'm martial arts master
IPhone 5 hmmm my name is Bruce Lee
84. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2455; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes the Xperia Z Ultra is noticeably larger than even the Mega 6.3, because it has very big bezels thats why the Z Ultra is only .14" bigger than the Galaxy Mega 6.3 but the phone looks way bigger. So Samsung has done it right by cutting the bezels and giving us a very compact design to fit in our pocket easily. The Xperia Z Ultra looks like a tablet, so Sony please make compact designs with less bezels.