Sony Xperia SL found on Sony website with dual-core 1.7GHz Qualcomm S3 doing the heavy lifting
0. phoneArena 19 Aug 2012, 01:16 posted on
Last month, word leaked about an upgraded version of the Sony Xperia S called the Sony Xperia SL which was rumored to be coming to market with a dual-core 1.7GHz processor; now, Sony's own website has outed the device...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. sadaff (Posts: 12; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Just because in India HTC One S has same specs apart from screen and camera So to compete with it! :)
12. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Yeah.., why now...? I think this should have been released in first place in place of Xperia S! :(
22. wendygarett (unregistered)
Probably the nexus phone? IDK :p
37. nsnk86 (Posts: 43; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
Sony could hv included S4 with this xtra 200mhz processor it would hv been great
2. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3279; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
This is a VERY minor upgrade to the Xperia S... Just an extra 200 MHz clock speed. I don't know if Xperia S owners should be mad that Sony released a slightly upgraded model, or just not care because it's such a small enhancement, and they can do it themselves pretty easily.
6. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
I wouldnt be mad if i was them because this is not big enough to be mad over....I SOOO wish they would of made this phone with the S4 but hey thats another vain wish now isnt it? :(
7. sadaff (Posts: 12; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
They already have 3 S4 devices for future so according to me this device is perfect! :)
11. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
yea but for the people who'd rather that S4 processor on a 4.3 inch phone and not 4.6 or above, this phone would be perfect......and its frustrating because alot of people still rather 4 to 4.3 inches over those big phones but somehow arent getting the top notch specs with that size.....and overclocking does not help one bit, it actually is like a slap in the face more than helping people....
13. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 389; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Sony also insured that users who prefer less than 4 inches get top specs with the Xperia SX. 305 PPI, S4, stunning design, 12 MP camera and 1 GB of RAM.
15. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
aaaaaaa yea man I seen the SX and lets just say its not in the size range of what I was talkin about....lol
The SX is honestly hella small and almost looks like a toy phone to be frank with you....Its 3.7 inches but they made it SOOO narrow that the phone looks smaller than the iphone!! And the iphone is 3.5 inches..... :(
SO what the hell is sony doing?? I love em (as you can see by my avatar and name) but they just need to get things in "order" seriously.....
17. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 389; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
A lot of people (Ladies specially) prefer small, stylish phones. Sony has made a beast inside a small phone --- Compare it to a Porche 911, if you know what I mean.
19. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Yea but you are missing the point...You can not just make a phone for one particular group or audience.....Why? because their is a wider and broader view out there that needs to be tended too...This is a "business" lol and doing things like making a product for particularly women and maybe even kids.....will, in the long run leave BEHIND the competition! Why? because the competition is making products for EVERYONE! lol plain and simple man, so making the SX 3.7 inches was not a bad idea but making it sooo narrow that it looks as if its 3.2 inches. was a very bad idea (in the big scheme of things that is) If you make a product for women then the end result of your success and income will be solely depended on "women"..... When the idea is to appeal to MEN, WOMEN, TEENAGERS, AND KIDS alike.....See what im saying?
21. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 389; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
You forgot that Sony produces other high end phones with S4 processor and HD screens? -__-
They just got every body covered with their phones; The Women, The Men, Business people, Teenagers, People who can't afford a high end phone and athletes...
23. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
SMH...... nevermind dude ........Sony has yet to release a phone with a S4 in it, although those are coming in the upcoming months they will still mostly appeal to people who like larger sized phones....4.6 and above......
30. oister85 (Posts: 342; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
I know what you saying man. I don't know what Sony is thinking. They are looking for bankrupt mistakes after mistakes, that's why Samsung took is first place for technology innovation
34. dmckay12 (Posts: 242; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Honestly it needs to appeal to teenagers, because they tell their parents what is best.
18. smallworld (Posts: 360; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
The xperia gx and xperia s have the same size.
20. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
the Gx is 4.6 inches and the Xperia S is 4.3 inches man
27. Mittal (Posts: 405; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
The One S has it... and i want it sooo bad !!
28. Phullofphil (Posts: 792; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
I think this phone was made to get rid of inventory of the s3 chips at a discount. If the off contract price shows that than it might be a good midrange phone. I thinke that to make a good midrange phone do what apple does and just make the midrange phones have the hardware that the high end phones had a year before. I don't know if that is what is going on but I bet that the s4 chips have to be feeling the shortage of availability with the suposed lack of Kraft 28nm things that were suposed to be in short supply untill the beginning of next year. I would not get this phone but it is being released in a different market than I but if it was released on Verizon I would not even consider it but it would not make me mad that they released it unless like I said it was a midrange phone that you could buy for 3 or 4 hundred odd contract I just would to care about it like most lg phones out for Verizon.
36. nsnk86 (Posts: 43; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
but sadaff if Sony would hv released this phone with S4 it would hv been much better....
3. sadaff (Posts: 12; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
I sent this in to engadget gsmarena and Phonearena and even xperiablog but no one credited me i am never gonna send such tips to any websites! :( :| :P
16. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 4739; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
At least they all are equal opportunity ignorers.
26. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
I fwd an email from a Motorola Executive manager that lost his job when Google was about to cut 4000. He had been with Moto for 12+ years. Awesome letter.
PA ignored it :/
32. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
200000khz even! ...but def not not 0.2mhz
8. CamaroSS (Posts: 31; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
This is ridiculous - what's the point of releasing this? Arc S offered faster HSPA beside faster processor over original Arc- this one comes with just faster (yet last gen.) CPU. Sony seriously needs to bring out the international version of S4 powered GX ASAP.
10. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 389; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Bro, they're releasing 3 phones with Snapdragon S4 at IFA.
The point of the Xperia SL is to give you a 400 MHZ Cpu bump, two new colors and ICS out of the box for the same price...
9. Captain_Doug (Posts: 730; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Does the Xperia S/SL have on screen nav keys? Looks like the dots are there in the gallery. Just looking for confirmation.
14. loken (Posts: 462; Member since: 09 May 2012)
nope if they do that what is the led bar useful for apart from antanna
24. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
wow.. what a waste.
an S3 crapdragon at 1.7ghz? better have a 2700mah battery to last half a day.
whoever buys this needs to buy like 3 extra batteries.
25. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
And you guys complain bout SONY needs a QUAD CORE. see how much you can do with only a dual core. and like i said again or in this case SONY says they don't need a QUAD CORE PROCESSOR