Sony Xperia S or Samsung Galaxy S II - that is the question!
0. phoneArena 20 Apr 2012, 08:57 posted on
It's once again PhoneArena Knows Best time, and the question that we're dealing with this time comes from our reader Dejan Gogic, who is in a desperate need of a new smartphone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
126. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Well if you really think i'm angry, you are again sorely mistaken. Haha :)
I by this point started to have fun in dismantling your elementary lack of objectivity and logic.
And your complete inability to answer the following questions:
- what is crappy about 6000+ on antutu for a 2011 chip?
- Can tegra 2 or OMAP 4 do better on a HD screen?(you never called those crap have you)
- is tegra 3 a 2012 mobile chip?
- are tegra 4 or OMAP 5 to be released this year?
- is snapdragon S4 pro to be released this year?
"2nd half of this year" is when quad pro should be out
129. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
1) where is the link for the 6000 on antutu? and how much of it is I/O integer scores?
2) tegra2 can do good on a HD screen. In fact through our little discussion I pointed to a T2 comparison for frame rates between a high and low res phone using a T2 chip. Omap4 is not out yet. Omap3 however is the second best chip over all behind the exynos. S3 < t2 < O3 < exynos
3) no, it was commercially released in 2011 through the transformer prime. it is a 2011 chip. I go by commercial release date. People like to compare it with the S4 because they are seeing phone release dates at about the same time because Nvidia had a few issues that stalled their phone releases.
4) T4, no thats going to be 2013 most likely unless we get suprised. Omap5 isnt even the next release... Omap4 is. Yes, we should see that 2nd half of the year hopefully.
5) yes. All it is is the same S4 with the crappy Adreno 225 GPU ripped out and replaced with the Adreno 320 which is much more capable. It is about 4x the performance of the 225 which is great. However on the same second half of the year, we will be seeing A15 exynos 5250 devices with the new GPU that promises 5x the performance of the 4212. That way outclasses the S4-Pro. Also whatever OMAP4 is bringing will be out in a similar time table.
Anandtech on Adreno 225 "not the leap forward we're expecting for this next generation"
however, "pro" makes me think of business/power class users. Which makes me think they might possibly be taking a similar route to samsung with the 5250 and throwing the pro chips into tablets long before phones. If thats true its probably going to be christmas 2012 at best before we see a phone with it.. or 2013. thats just a guess though.
130. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
1) 6300+, more precisely:
2) can tegra do better? What's it's NenaMark 2 score on HD?
3) i'm talking about the first commercial release in phones - april this year
4) OMAP 4 IS the current release x)
..and can you give any confirmation about the OMAP 5 availability before the end of this year?
5) no, besides adding the adreno 320 it will more likely also be upped in the clock speed(like the MSM8660 was upped from 1.2 to 1.5 Ghz).
But even if not, if will be the most powerful dual core SoC by far, when it is released.
It is the high end design reference for wp 8, and will probably appear on phones such as Sony "Mint"(here's hoping at least).
My point - the pro version will absolutely trash tegra 3, and posibly even the tegra 3+.
Quad core version is a no contest even for tegra +, by all accounts - GPU, CPU, power efficiency, connectivity.
131. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
1) just to reiterate a point ive made 1000+ times. That blue part in quadrant is the I/O test. its A LIE. its the same as linpack and the integer test in antutu. 1900 points of that 6300 are the bloated integer test.
Looking around youtube, the Note gets the same score but with less of an integer bump and more score from everything else. If you want an honest score always delete the integer test from the final score and go from there.
If you look at the actual framerates between the experia and the Note, the note is actually higher FPS .
As a side note, looking at the quadrant scores, the experia gets less FPS on many tests than my PowerVR in my SGS1. The only one that it beats my phone in is the DNA spiral test... but not by much.
2) dont have time to look it up today. .so go look it up
3) your splitting hairs. i judge one way, you judge another.
4)woops. :) Its supposed to be out Q3/Q4. Texas Instruments has been pretty quiet other than that and hasnt announced any full details other than its supposed to be a monster.
5) where do you get most powerful dual core SoC? Its nowhere near as powerful on a CPU to CPU basis to the exynos 5250. It doesnt even play in the same field. In the real world, it gets 10% or so more performance than the current exynos 4210. The 5250 is promising DOUBLE the performance from that chip.
The GPU is a 4x improvement over the adreno 225, while the 5250's GPU is 5x an improvement over the 4212.. which is stronger than the Adreno225 anyways.
being a reference design doesnt make it the most powerful. It means its powerful enough to fit the need while "hopefully" being availible enough to not have shortages. unfortunately qualcomm is having a lot of shortage issues right now since they are having problems at the factory.
If the pro version doesnt trash the tegra3, then there is a problem. it should be on similar ground with the 3+ if not a little better depending on what they do with the T3+'s GPU. The T3 is just an interm chip. It was never ment to be a long lasting chip. Its just a "we were first" placeholder to keep Nvidia in the limelight until the T4 comes out.
132. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
what test were you looking at?
Quadrant or AnTuTu..you don't make much sense.
As for quadrant, i'll tell you, being a Sony follower, that xperia mini(s2 single core) scores just as much fps as xperia s
2) yeah i have, and both T2 and OMAP 4 are nowhere near 6000 on AnTuTu
4) SUPPOSED to...
5) Again, if 5250 isn't coming in SGS 3, what's left?
There has not been even a hint of any release timeframe.
I'm not doubting it won't be more powerful than s4 pro, but i doubt it will be out this year.
133. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
1) both. they both run I/O tests. On quadrant its the dark blue line, on antutu its "integer test". ignore them.. period. they are fluffed.
you only prove my point against the bad GPU in the S3. The adreno 220 GPU is just barely more powerful than the adreno 205 gpu in the S2, which was at a huge power disadvantage to the hummingbird/powerVR.
2) ill look it up later when i have time. i dont have antutu benchmarks memorized.. lol
3).. wait.. you didnt have a 3.. you went from 2 to 4!!
4) your whole thing about the Pro is "supposed to" as well. nothing is 100% until it launches.
5) yes, there has. the 5250 is a Q2/Q3 release. But samsung said they are releasing it to tablets first. probably Q4 at the absolute earliest for phones. Again, pro sounds like business/ power class.. which sounds like tablets. Dont put your cart before the horse until they announce first devices for it. They never said it was going into phones first specifically.. just that its coming out this year. If it doesnt go into tablets, its going to fall severely behind samsung in tablet power and lose marketshare.
If it really is a "windows 8 reference" like you said (havent looked it up), then that tells me that its going into tablets, as they will have more advanced features than phones... like desktop compatibility.
134. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
1) so there's your point boiled down - it's a fluffed LIE.
Man, you can't expect me to accept that as an argument.
You need to PROVE it.
2,3)..i prefer responding only to replies i find constructive and relevant.
4) no, it's been said by Qualcomm multiple times - devices will be out this year. Can't get more clear than that
5) source? The first viable candidate for 5250 seems to be the Note 2 at this point(highly unlikely to be released this year), or some upgraded version of Galaxy s3(not a word about it at this point too).
But anyway, that's not my point. The point is simply that even if 5250 comes out this year on phones, the S4 Pro will be better than Tegra 3/3+, and will also have some advantages over the 5250(LTE,(you can correct me if i'm wrong on this one)), so overall your "crap" moniker is just a childish rant.
It won't be the worst SoC of 2012, simple as that.
And it IS a phone SoC, intended for use in high end Android and wp 8 phones.(Nokia Pure view wp 8 flagship specs that leaked with a Pro chip, for example)
Besides, the technical demonstrator/developer device Qualcomm used for S4 Pro was a smartphone, while for the quad version it was a tablet.
38. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
and how the hell do you knowI didn't try sony, boy?
in opposite to you I'm talking about my own experiences with those phones.
And Sony is behind like always. They put old hardware in their flagship in order to conquest the market. History repeats. The same happened to every single xperia model so far. Xperia, xperia x10 and so on and so forth.
I didn't have to try exynos on anything else because there is no need to do such a thing. We are talking about phones and I referred to xperia and S II. That's what I care about.
Have you tried ajkshdgughasd (put any components from sony right here)? No? So sh%^ up. That's your point of view. Sweet, isn't it?
I don't like sammy but people behind samsung logo try to do something new, more powerful and break the limits once again. What sony does? The same mistake. As always.
66. ngo2dd (Posts: 731; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
The biggest reason why it can run android smoothly is because touchwiz 4.0 has GPU acceleration build in it. XDA been talking about when it first came out. The tab 7.7 lags with the same chips.
72. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
uhh.. no. GPU acceleration is a system thing. Its built into ICS, and does not work in anything below 4.0 as far as non gaming goes.
102. ngo2dd (Posts: 731; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Wow, for someone who act like he know what he is talking about you can't be more wrong. I am running a custom rom that GPU acceleration right now and it is GB.
Touchwiz 4.0 has force GPU rendering for the UI so there is no lag.
115. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I meant STOCK. good frikkin lord. You are really trying to throw up an XDA ROM mod as proof that it is in pre ICS? Really?? And thats for SENSE 3.0 HTC, not Samsung Touchwiz.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the mods working on that rom and others like it are talented and know how to shoehorn in code and make it work?
THAT IS NOT STOCK. STOCK GINGERBREAD HAS NO UI GPU ACCELERATION. That is NEW TO ICS.. FOR STOCK.
You dont think its amazingly coincidental that these mods came out after ICS was released into the wild? lol
i read through the change scripts on that ROM. It looks like it would be a pretty nice rom to use.
look at all the sense tweaks to make it run better. There is some hard work going into this ROM. But it is not touchwiz, GPU UI accelleration is not a STOCK feature of anything other than ICS, and until ICS was released, didnt exist on any rom as far as i've ever seen.
Looking at work like this is exactly the reason i LOVE XDA. But it doesnt help your point at all.
THE FIRST 3d rom to have FULL BEATS AUDIO from the Sensation XE!!
Odexed for a SMOOTH EXPERIENCE
ROOT (SU + SuperUser Permissions - Thanks to ChainsDD)
Zipaligned (Improved RAM management)
Zipalign on boot (for user applications on data partition)
init.d scripts (BusyBox run-parts) support
NANO text editor & sysro/sysrw commands support
All the sense packages have been opted and extra languages have been removed (Will finish with the rest of the apps soon)
Full HTC Sense 3.0 Interface
Fully Optimized and Tweaked
Forced GPU UI Rendering
SD Card speed tweak
104. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Only the 9100 have ICS , the 9100G don't both unlocked and same price . f**k Samsung for ripping us off
113. khanmhsn (Posts: 25; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
you are quite right.........SGS2 is more powerful in daily life performance.i own a SGS2 and yesterday i watched video on youtube about "SGS2 running quad core veersion of shadow gun" and was quite amazed how smooth it was running without skipping the details. now i want to root my phone...........you people should check it out too..
44. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
because it is...sony used old chipset which was a garbage even when was quite new:]
3. itiswhatitis (Posts: 419; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
I've asked a question but it's gone unaswered: Can phonearena team help me get the best camerphone with android OS??
5. abdane (Posts: 450; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
best cameras are HTC ( Android ) maybe One X ?
7. taz89 (Posts: 1772; Member since: 03 May 2011)
have not seen the quality of the one x camera but previous htc cameras have been poor compared to samsung and sony
16. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
stay away from HTC or LG. they have among the worst camera quality. even the new HTC one series is subpar.
the best camera on android is going to be the Experia or sgs2.
21. r41nier (Posts: 59; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
HTC One X is quite disappointing despite the ImageSense. It has only faster shutter speed due to the larger aperture but the detail still sucks like old HTC smartphones.
114. khanmhsn (Posts: 25; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
they are right htc older phones camera were worst.....except htc sensation and htc amaze.
9. GellerDoesDallas (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
As of right now I think the Xperia s has the best camera it may not have the burst mode that the One x has but the image quality is better. They have several videos on YouTube comparing these two phones and I will tell that the Sony beats sgs2 in nearly every category.
116. khanmhsn (Posts: 25; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
you are wrong here. i too have been watching these comparisons where the camera was definitely better on SGS2(i by myself have wondered about it) and SGS2 was not beaten in almost every category.........
8. shadowcell (Posts: 300; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
I would have gotten with the Xperia S. It looks very sleek and I'm already on sold on the camera. If only they developed a CDMA LTE version for Verizon....
Also, ICS is planned for the second quarter this year so it's only a matter of time.
10. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Its a GREAT phone but again it will be beaten by the S 3 :| Sony has this habit of using 1 generation old hardware. Same thing happened when arc came out.. it was beaten by the S2 although the looks of arc was STUNNING!! Sony should have used a better CPU and more RAM!! :(
84. metoyou (Posts: 264; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
so mean:) but I do not disagree with you at all haha
13. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5178; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I'm buying the iOn it have a faster camera shutter speed than the SII
17. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
let's not forget about the battery life (SII has huge advantage here...at least on paper...I don't know how these two behave in real life...probably one day...maybe)
43. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
according to the PA review of the Exynos SGS, it performed better than advertised and got well into the 2nd day. The same can not be said for the Crapdragon SGS2.
I personally like comparing both versions of the SGS2 because its the exact same OS and set up besides the chip, so it gives a great apples to apples comparison. Trying to compare one manufacturer overlay and set up to another is an apples to oranges... there are just so many variables involved.
78. poddey (Posts: 74; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Have you considered how it would look if the S3 SGS2 was better optimised than Sammy's own Exynos SGS2? Obviously they would have optimised the OS/Touchwiz for their Exynos processor.
What you should really be doing is comparing the S3 SGS2 to the S3 Xperia S.
It'll be really interesting to see how the new Exynos SGS3 compares to the S4 Xperia rumoured to be landing later in the year.
89. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no, that makes no sense at all. apples to apples.
besides, Samsung's S3 optimizations still give it better battery life than most S3 phones. They did a pretty good job considering the chip they were working with.
Ever stop to consider that if they let the american version of the phone be a laggy POS that no one would buy it? America is their biggest single country market, and one of the biggest markets in the world. They are not about to purposefully sabotage their flagship in the biggest market.
23. sinple (Posts: 71; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
seriously, apart from benchmark and the S3, everything about xperia S is good. Sony has done a good job to optimise their phone. Even the xperia arc feels fast and smooth. The whole phone is so smooth that u probably cant feel any difference in the processor. Plus, it has a hd screen, 12mp camera. SII is only better than xperia S on paper. SIII may still stand a chance only if samsung optimise their system well enough
36. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 389; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
My Xperia Arc is a pleasure to use, runs as smooth as the Nexus. It rarely lags despite having a single core processor and 512 MB of RAM. Sony is the best when it comes about optimizing
25. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Here, an in-depth comparison.
Xperia S is NOT inferior in processor department.
It runs perfectly smooth and has a good graphic performance despite of the HD resolution.
Anyway, it's a really close call, between those two.
Those who want a razor sharp image for reading and browsing, or the best camera on android, must pick the Xperia S over SGS II.
Others will probably do better with the Samsung.
32. GellerDoesDallas (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
Thanks for the link and I've seen videos on YouTube with the Xepria s beating sgs2 in just about every category even web browsing with an inferior processor which goes to so you optimization is very important, Sony definitely did a better job of that then Samsung. Completely agree with you that the Xepria s is the better phone,in fact I thought Xepria's camera was better than Nokia n8's camera.
50. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
no, it wasn't, it's not and never be.
With so tiny sensor? Not a chance.
82. GellerDoesDallas (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
Don't worry reality will set in. You'll see, just accept it.
83. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
your reality is strange boy.
and you want so badly to violate laws of physics. Do some research in photography, then speak.
93. GellerDoesDallas (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
I've seen a camera comparison between the Xepria s and the N8 on YouTube, so just go to YouTube and check it out for yourself even the reviewer said the Xepria s was better on macro shots. U mad? I let my eyes do the research by looking at side by side photographs. Do understand now jacko.
108. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
keep watching youtube videos with high compression :D
you're not too smart, aren't you
oh, you nokia haters never gonna stop hating.
If I were you I would do comparison BY MYSELF.
But if you trust reviewers. There is a site for you. it's was "mastered" by eldar m. The biggest douchebag in the mobile world.
There was only "one" truth. His truth. You do the same.
123. GellerDoesDallas (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
Bro you're a nut case I never said I hated Nokia I like Nokia and the 808 will dominate and nothing will come close, but I my opinion Xepria s was better then the N8 so stop jackin your hammer you'll go blind and you'll never get to see the Beauty of the 808.
128. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
and why I shouldn't see the beauty of 808? I've got N8 since it was released and I will buy 808 as well when it arrives.
And I don't agree with you that xperia makes better photos than N8 because it doesn't. It just cannot because the technology behind it is much worse nad it uses to much overprocessing. As simple as that.
47. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Amoleds consistently fall behind in the long browser test because of their Achilles heel... lots of white. but then again, have u ever sat online on your phone for 7 hours straight? lol. What they lose while your browsing, they instantly make up in spades the moment you stop.
81. poddey (Posts: 74; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
You seem to be defending the SGS2 here whereas darac was being completely objective.
In reality, apart from calling and texting, we mainly use these smartphones to listen to music, play videos, take photos and video, browse the web (e.g. to use Google services like search, Gmail, Google maps etc) and play games. So unless you're a big gamer it seems to me that the Xperia S has the upper hand against the SGS2.
90. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
They did, its called the Note.. ever hear of it? :)
Darac is far from objective. And at what point was I not being objective? Hmm? BTW, the I/O test, samsung won... and i still said throw it out.
Also, the resolution only plays a minor role in performance. The chips are strong enough to more than compensate for the resolution. Tests with the tegra 2 at low and high res showed a 1fps difference.
poddey, its preference.
with me, i prefer horsepower, easy modability, a large development community and options galore.. plus all the things you mentioned. For that combination, samsung has the crown for now.
here is the actual nenamark site. notice for both nenamark 1 and 2, the SGS2 phones lead the pack on the site's average benchmarks. This isnt a single benchmark, this is the average of ALL benchmarks with a high to low range.
Now also, remember that when these phones move to ICS which is finally happening slowly, ICS uses hardware GPU accelleration for the first time in android's history. The better GPU is going to play a huge role in many of the phones functions, making their power divide even more obvious. It also has increased scripts for Java and all sorts of things, so it will be interesting to see exactly how the benchmarks look post ICS compared to how they look now.
35. osamalone (Posts: 12; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
i think xperia s is way better cause it has not only got a good camera but a faster processor as wellas well as a better screen
48. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
higher clock does not make it faster. :)
91. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no, its adreno 220< mali 400.
the adreno 220 does not even match up to the GPU found in the galaxy1, much less the galaxy 2.
101. jellytime (Posts: 135; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
"the adreno 220 does not even match up to the GPU found in the galaxy1"
Your argument is invalid
119. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the galaxy1 PowerVR GPU can move 3 million more triangles per second than the Adreno220 as well as twice the bandwith. look it up. Heck, ive posted the link in this very thread. go find it and read.
120. khanmhsn (Posts: 25; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
why should you people fight about gpus.i know i am also a geek and spend alot of time on comparing.......but in the end when i think about it there arent any apps on the market that use full potential of the respective gpus.for example if you run "riptide gp" on arc s or S2.they both run it flawlessly..
103. ngo2dd (Posts: 731; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Remixfa why are you wrong so much? Here is proof for ya.
The SGX540 is not faster the the 220.
mobiletechworld has an article on it. But PA has it as a banned word.
117. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yes, because there is only 1 site in the world with that information, right? OI
41. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
it has faster processor? since when?:>