Sony Xperia S getting ICS today
0. phoneArena 21 Jun 2012, 06:23 posted on
The Sony Xperia S is one of the hottest Android devices, but for some the fact that it originally runs on Android 2.3 Gingerbread was a…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Sony/ Sony Ericsson has always been underrated company!! they made fantastic phones in the past and now also they are making really awesome devices!
Now even they update their phones on time and it looks beautiful unlike Samsung which disappointed me with ICS experience on Galaxy Note!! The UI being exactly same on Samsung as was on Gingerbread while Arc gets a new refreshing UI
They have some of the best looking devices and their performance is fantastic even with single core and dual core CPU
5. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
There was no obvious changes to the ICS UI of the Note? I'm surprised
Indeed they're underrated somehow, maybe its due to non geeky specs when compared to the competition.
In regards to the ICS update on the Arc I am somewhat surprised to how smooth it was, the browser now is as smooth as the browser of the SGS2, the updated UI makes the phone feel all brand new. The only issue I have with the Arc's ICS update right now are some compatibility issue on some games, and that's just right about it. . .
10. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Nope, apart from the settings menu on note the home-screen and the way it functions is exactly the same as Gingerbread, even the wallpaper is the same.. also the battery life seems to have gone down a bit but that isnt an issue :) But I ended up using a custom launcher for now..(not a fan of Touch Wiz)
I also have the Arc, the UI looks really good and refreshing, love the new icons :) (Feels bran new Indeed) :D
But the only issue on that phone is the limited RAM :( if the arc had 1 GB of RAM it would have been much smoother!! STILL I have seen my Arc faster at tasks like opening messages, phone-book, opening gallery than my Galaxy Note.. and yeah the browser is damn smooth in the arc after the update :)
PS I keep only essential apps on my phone that helps the arc in response time!
Well i have not tried the Xperia S but will go for Sony's next flagship probably will end up selling Galaxy note to my friend.
13. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Ohhh I see, well that sucks!
The software optimization of SONY is somewhat top notch given that their phones Chipset is considered by many as crap compared to others. I still can see my next phone with the SONY logo in it. . .
17. Birds (Posts: 1139; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I wish this was good news for me.....My device is a crapper now and I have no way of replacing it.... 600$ going to waist.....UHHHHH!! lol I don't even know if my brother should get me another Xperia S if the screen only displays this pied yellow color. If you have an Xperia S in good working condition I'm really jealous. lol I wish you the best while you enjoy ICS...lol
18. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
You know you can get it fixed for free, right?
20. Birds (Posts: 1139; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Where? You mean I can ship it out to sony and they will replace it or something? If that is the case then i feel really stupid right now. lol
21. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Yeah, you can give it to the nearest Sony store or ship it to Sony if you like :)
22. Birds (Posts: 1139; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
lol, I feel soooooo stupid....I have to tell my brother then....Thank you soooooo much.
24. Aaron_R96 (Posts: 198; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)
I swear I told you this a couple of days ago? maybe I just thought I did haha, but yeah definately worth it, if theres not a sony centre nearby, take it to your carrier!
26. Birds (Posts: 1139; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Im just going to send it to sony because at&t doesnt cary this device. Lol. You most likely did tell me this. I foget what i post alot. But thanks still you guys...
23. axeetech (Posts: 4; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
It's already quite sexy em waiting for it's review soon
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
Pull down notification on lockscreen? Isnt that the all ICS feature?
6. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Yup they just highlighted that coz that's not available on gingerbread. Remember the Vid is to show what's new to the Xperia S ICS update.
4. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
PhoneArena, this is a request from me(And whoever wants to), please re-review the Xperia S after the ICS update. Thanks
7. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Agreed! Hey Ramy you have an Arc S right? I have to ask, found any issue to the ICS update so far?
16. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Hey mate! The update has been AMAZING so far to be honest overall.
I only found some bugs that do not bother me a lot, mainly in Whatsapp and Xperia-Gallery, but it's no biggie. Just make sure to turn off Hardware acceleration, that made my phone even smoother :)
27. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Ohh I see, My only issue is that they removed the favorite contacts/ call log widget I missed that widget, seems like I'll be scanning the settings for now to fully understand ICS. . .
8. ryq24 (Posts: 601; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
i hope phonearena is reading your comment. want to read review first to see if there is any problem after update.
12. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
I have the original arc there are no issues on the phone at all, everything is smooth and working no force-close or apps crashing for me. I am happy my phone. Feels new and refreshed.. was worth the wait for the update!
But i disabled the Facebook inside xperia as i dont use it at all!
11. Aaron_R96 (Posts: 198; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)
Any news on whether this is just in the US for now or is it worldwide starting today, he tablet s got the ics update a month after the us version thats all, thanks!
14. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
They said it will gradually roll globally. Better check your phones SI if its included in the 1st batch here.http://talk.sonymobile.com/thr
15. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 498; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
i am amazed. they have done great in this new software. features are fresh
19. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
Sony is best in Phones & providing Updates..They always keep their word...My previous cell was Sony Ericsson & my current cell is Sony ....hope i get the Update to my region soon.
25. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7035; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I have to applaued SONY for their good work and keeping up with their UPGRADES. Which is why I will only buy SONY phones from now on. i can't wait to buy the iON and hopefully it will get ICS after it's release here in the states.
28. nsnk86 (Posts: 43; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
wow was eagerly waiting for ICS update for d xperia s........ i wish d whole UI changes for my xperia s.... btw nw even with gingerbread i luv d interface....... i even hv S2 which came with ICS out-of-box....... ¬hing gr8 diff, its UI is same as gingerbread!!
29. nsnk86 (Posts: 43; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
any idea when wil ICS update for xperia s cme to india??
30. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 498; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
ICS update is now available in the Philippines