Sony Nexus X was a fake, and the failure of our reporting
0. phoneArena posted on 19 Oct 2012, 20:07
We all wanted to believe it, because we all really want to see what a Sony Nexus device would be like, but unfortunately we were all fooled this past week. And worse, the entire tech news community failed in our reporting of the story...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ajac09 posted on 19 Oct 2012, 20:12 14 1
some reason phone arena thinks I am in China.. lol
27. sheik posted on 19 Oct 2012, 23:21 11 3
There is no need to apologize for that, PhoneArena. Right from the scratch You guys were clearly stating that it was a rumor and were insisting to take that with a pitch(in this case a pound) of salt... Anyway at the end of the day, a rumor is a rumor. So some goes true and sometimes they go wrong.. You PA guys gave us something to talk and merry about.... we really enjoyed talking and discussing about Sony nexus... BTW I hope this doesnt hinder you guys from posting rumours about the future products... I love PhoneArena
30. Intelligence posted on 20 Oct 2012, 01:55 3 1
I find it hilarious some guys little art project exploded into a huge tech rumor, getting people's hopes up.
40. loli5 posted on 20 Oct 2012, 11:31 3 3
That's because you suck and your sense of humor sucks.
49. Mxyzptlk posted on 20 Oct 2012, 21:06 1 2
Don't get mad at me. I couldn't help but get a good laugh. I didn't tell PA and the other tech sites to publish those stories without checking the credibility of their source.
2. downphoenix posted on 19 Oct 2012, 20:18 2 1
A journalistic fail for cellphone bloggers, not just Phone Arena but all the others. Even Gizmodo who ran the story before confirming it was a fake.
17. Mxyzptlk posted on 19 Oct 2012, 21:06 2 17
This certainly kills a lot of credibility as journalists for not treating every rumor and leak with a grain of salt.
22. protozeloz posted on 19 Oct 2012, 21:19 4 1
Problem with tech rumors is that the information can be anywhere and is easy to fake and make certain info as if it where true. That's why rumors are shown as that rumors, I think tech sites do an awesome job with news even when they fall for some tricks... cmon a CNN woman though the iPhone concept with holographic screen was the next iPhone so why our writers can't confuse a render with a possible device. I mean if gizmodo doubted I would have never got the iPhone 4 scoop, same goes with the bigger iPhone and ipad, for all we should care any device is possible, and with digital sources what means can assure a rumor is 100% accurate
31. TylerGrunter posted on 20 Oct 2012, 03:27 2 1
Only Daniel P. really treated it with some skepticism, quoting from his article:
"As every rumor goes, should be taken with a grain of sodium chloride. The back says Google indeed, though it might be an elaborate render". Of course unless you don´t knowthat sodium chlride is actually salt...
So think PA is not in the wrong here and there is not need to appologize. I like to see the rumors, as far as they advices they ar just that, RUMORS.
51. phil2n posted on 22 Oct 2012, 01:07 0 0
like ur avatar
48. maier9900 posted on 20 Oct 2012, 19:43 1 1
Yep, it's fake.... Confirmed. Just like PhoneArena is.
52. maier9900 posted on 22 Oct 2012, 22:24 0 0
Hahaha, i got a warning because i said P.A. is a fake. Wow, Pathetic!!!
3. TROLL posted on 19 Oct 2012, 20:20 6 6
I was really hoping wishing this really was the SONY Nexus,
cause of those sharp edgy designs really look contempopary.
What a joke®©
6. daddysbeenabadgirl posted on 19 Oct 2012, 20:31 16 2
They should name it after him.
Sony Nexus TI
7. tiara6918 posted on 19 Oct 2012, 20:41 5 1
We really can't put the blame on PA for this misleading sony nexus x and same goes for the other tech websites out there.
24. PAPINYC posted on 19 Oct 2012, 21:34 4 1
You are absolutely right, we can not blame PhoneArena; it was me, I started the rumour just to prove that PhoneArena was so busy writing iPhone stories to investigate the real facts. I was also slightly upset for getting banned last week (again). So, now, I challenge PhoneArena to utilize the rest of the weekend productively and get us the actual release date of Verizon's Galaxy Note 2 or I'll be forced to start the vicious rumour that iPhone 5S will have a larger 4.01" display and BodyTime™ (as seen in those Youtube iPhone 5 videos).
9. cj100570 posted on 19 Oct 2012, 20:43 3 3
You got what you deserve; egg on your face. This site as well as all the others are in such damn rush to be 1st with info that you print damn well anything. Take the time to stop and verify stuff 1st. So what if you're not 1st? I'd rather have accurate info! And please don't spew that BS about giving us what we want. It's a well known fact that all the sites try and make the news by constantly posting crap just to get page hits.
10. jan25 posted on 19 Oct 2012, 20:44 3 1
actually Android Central and Android and Me said it was a fake on the first day it appeared by their photoshop experts.
42. loli5 posted on 20 Oct 2012, 11:34 0 1
The problem was since it didn't have a shiny apple on it iphonearena didn't care enough to look into the validity
12. fistigons posted on 19 Oct 2012, 20:55 1 6
Ouch. Comment got deleted for speaking the truth. Man up. You did sloppy reporting. Android Police, Android Central and Android and Me did their job.
29. Sniggly posted on 20 Oct 2012, 01:04 1 2
*visualizes Kenny crying after his girlfriend gets her promise ring from the Jonas Brothers*
It's all right. The Motorola Occam rumor is probably fake too. All we'll have this year is a f**king LG Nexus. *spits angrily*
41. Sniggly posted on 20 Oct 2012, 11:33 2 1
Yes, of course I've watched South Park. What, don't like that either?
43. loli5 posted on 20 Oct 2012, 11:35 1 1
Probably not since they took their first shot at apple. What a tool.
50. Mxyzptlk posted on 20 Oct 2012, 21:08 0 0
I like South Park. You watch the Jonas Brothers. That's what I meant.
21. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 19 Oct 2012, 21:16 0 1
i didnt actually believe in this mock up but more so in the hope that Sony would see this a make it a reality..........and that is still very much possible
28. SonyXperiaNexus posted on 20 Oct 2012, 00:15 0 1
The moment i saw the back of the phone i knew it was a fake, sony phones wouldnt have that big of a butt.
44. loli5 posted on 20 Oct 2012, 11:35 2 1
I can't believe you still post here. Literally no one likes you, nor do they want or respect you insane heavily biased opinions/comments.
46. chaoticrazor posted on 20 Oct 2012, 12:34 0 1
mate careful he like all apple trolls will go crying and act like a victim
16. VJo003 posted on 19 Oct 2012, 21:05 0 2
There will be only one nexus this year... That's for certain.
18. InspectorGadget80 posted on 19 Oct 2012, 21:07 1 3
FCK THE idiot who posted a fake picture. the only way to tell if its real if SONY announce it themselve
20. roldefol posted on 19 Oct 2012, 21:13 1 1
The thing is, it wasn't even a convincing fake. If you really looked at that photo of the back of the phone, it was quite clearly cobbled from 3 different devices. Everyone here was so excited to see ANY news of a Sony Nexus, they ate it right up, and thumbed down any skeptics.
23. lyndon420 posted on 19 Oct 2012, 21:26 0 1
Pics like that need the 'concept' tag attached to them. Kinda sloppy on his part though.
25. shirtlessrabbit4 posted on 19 Oct 2012, 21:59 1 1
I don't usually take leaks serious unless I see at least 5 stories about it, rule of thumb. But really I think nexus should truly invest in sony. It just makes too much sense
26. FireDragon posted on 19 Oct 2012, 23:01 0 1
I wouldn't call it ^fake^ repeatedly, it is not fake it was a concept. A concept is a different thing and a fake is another mater.
Very well done by the way, with the concept.
32. remixfa posted on 20 Oct 2012, 03:42 1 1
lol. Told yall it was a fake. The Sony logo on the back was not perfectly lined up with the top/bottom bezel.
The good news is that it created a lot of excitement. So if Sony is smart they will try to bring something like that to the table.
33. timtimity posted on 20 Oct 2012, 04:54 0 1
Hopefully all the interest this phone got before it was announced as a concept has caught Google's attention and they've seen that there's a lot of people who'd love to see a Sony Nexus.
35. networkdood posted on 20 Oct 2012, 08:57 0 1
Phonearena posts a lot of misinformation in their articles, or, at the very least, it does not give its readership the complete picture,
38. papss posted on 20 Oct 2012, 10:04 2 1
Just like android too many nexus devices too soon takes the "special" out of said device. I say let LG have their moment and Sony next year
45. roldefol posted on 20 Oct 2012, 11:43 0 1
Yes, I for one appreciate how Google has run its Nexus program. They've highlighted the strongest players each season - HTC in early '10, Samsung from late '10-late '11, Asus for their excellent tablets in early '12, and now LG has finally proven itself worthy with the Optimus G. That's how Android should be - everybody deserving gets a chance to shine.
39. loli5 posted on 20 Oct 2012, 11:29 0 2
michael h article, tl, dr. But props on not mentioning apple or cupertino FOR ONCE, are you feeling well?