Sony Ericsson starts a trend, launches its own app channel in Android Market
The idea is to group all apps that are specifically designed for the company's handsets, under one roof. We bet this is a precursor to offering phone-specific apps too (nudge, wink, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play), like exclusive titles for the only Android handset with a dedicated game controller. As per Sony Ericsson, its own Android Market channel will:
" - Provide recommendations to help you find the best games & apps that enhance your Sony Ericsson ‘most entertaining’ experience.
- Provide a way to easily find original apps from Sony Ericsson such as Timescape plugins etc.
- From time to time offer exclusive games & apps only available in this channel.
- Help our developer partners promote their apps & games giving them a highlighted market space to our consumers."
We are already marking a trend here, with phone and chipset manufacturers, as well as other entities, creating their own tidy little universes inside the ragtag Cosmos of Android Market, all in the name of product differentiation.
1. protozeloz posted on 13 Apr 2011, 08:15 0
O: someone is being listening!, this will sure keep the number of thumbs down from SE customers on apps
2. Xpple (unregistered) posted on 13 Apr 2011, 09:11 0
It's a smart move to have specific channels for each device however, that makes things look even more fragmented. That would be like having to download specific software for each PC you purchased running Win7--why can't we get to the same point on the mobile side. My PC doesn't require such stupid "channels". . . why should my mobile device.
3. protozeloz posted on 13 Apr 2011, 13:33 2
the Chanel just contains app SE recommended and its probably a link to the market app not another market.... instead of surfing on the androd market for apps that may not work you could use the SE Chanel to see apps already tested by se and save time
4. messiah posted on 13 Apr 2011, 16:31 1
i hate it. it shouldn't have replaced "MyApps" tab in the market... it should have been added as a fourth tab. Lay out should be "Apps, games, sonyericsson, my apps".
Having to hit the menu button is redundant, extraneous, and ....stupid.