x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • Sony Ericsson breaks even in Q3 financials, focusing on smartphones only in 2012

Sony Ericsson breaks even in Q3 financials, focusing on smartphones only in 2012

Posted: , by Victor H.

Sony Ericsson breaks even in Q3 financials, focusing on smartphones only in 2012
Just a day after Google reported about there being 190 million Android phones manufacture, Sony Ericsson has announced its quarterly financials and 22 million, or around 11.5% of those, were handsets mady be the Swedish-Japanese JV. 

Now, 80% of the company’s sales come from smartphones, while the remaining 20% are from feature phones. With this in mind, Sony Ericsson reaffirmed its commitment to make smartphones only in 2012:

"We will continue to invest in the smartphone market, shifting the entire portfolio to smartphones during 2012," SE's CEO Bert Nordberg confirmed.

Sales in the quarter amounted to 9.5 million units, a recovery from the 7.6 million sold in the summer quarter, but still down 9% when compared to Q3 of last year. 

Sony Ericsson breaks even in Q3 financials, focusing on smartphones only in 2012
Results for the third quarter also slightly beat analysts' expectations as the company swang back into operating profit, after a disappointing second quarter. Looking at net results, the SE broke even. The average price of a Sony Ericsson handset surged to $223 (166 euro).

The company didn’t comment on the latest rumor claiming that Sony is about to buy Ericsson’s 50% stake in the phone maker. Analysts have pointed out that the move would be welcome for SE’s smartphones as they’d be able to fully integrate Sony’s services. Ericsson’s stake is estimated at around $1.5 billion.


Press Release

9 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 14 Oct 2011, 06:49

1. droidcandy13895 (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)


net profit = 0

come on sony buck up bring on your dual cores n do away with that s**tty ericsson......i want u back pn top

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 06:58 2

2. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)


patience my friend. 2011 is only SE's appetizer. You'll see their main dishes by 2012.

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 06:59

3. dara (unregistered)


That's 7.6 million xperias sold in the quarter.
And more than 50 percent growth in android sales, given that they were still selling symbian during the previous quarter.
Decent numbers,(and better than those of LG and Motorola I bet) but I feel they still missed a major chance by failing to get the Xperia arc to U.S. carriers, instead of Play.

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 08:18

4. lubba (Posts: 1310; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)


Alot of main dishes coming 2012 including dual core Wp with top class camera, xbox integration, slate integration, and more!

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 08:23 1

5. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)


yep. consumer=winner

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 23:49

9. aztaxia12295 (Posts: 264; Member since: 22 Nov 2009)


u mean ps3 integration?

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 10:32

6. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 799; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)


Looks like timely sofware updates helped them this time around. . .

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 11:20

7. lubba (Posts: 1310; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)


Well worth the wait, despite having been so eager for it.

posted on 14 Oct 2011, 12:53

8. ryq (unregistered)


well zero is still better than negative numbers. hope they will have better years ahead. the arc was great looking phone so was the ray but the arc lacks front facing camera and too pricey while ray have small screen. se were able to improve the looks department but still lacking in the features department. hope they address those department.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories