Sony 2013 Android flagship codenamed 'Odin,' to be running on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
First, gone will be the ST/MT/LT branding used to describe Sony’s devices right now. Instead, there will be a five-character alphanumeric model name. For instance, it’s expected that the new Sony flagship, the Odin, will carry the C650X brand name.
UAProf for Sony C650X ‘Odin’
- Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; C6502 Build/10.1.A.0.211) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30
- Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; ja-jp; C6503 Build/10.1.A.0.168) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30
- Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; sv-se; C6506 Build/10.1.A.0.201) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30
So, all models will be based on Jelly Bean which is great news as it guarantees a perfectly smooth experience.
source: Ameblo via Xperia Blog
1. aayupanday (Posts: 520; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
2013!? Seroiusly sony jelly bean ????
Android 5.xx will be the trend when that device releases.
Typical Sony style....
8. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
How can they get 5.xx if they don't have the source code ?
Typical ignorant people...
31. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1098; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Sony just isnt keeping up with trends...4.1.1?
4.2.2 is gonna be out on a month and 5.0 early next year!
Even if sony goes with s4 quad processor there'll be exynos 5 and omap5 so even hardware-wise they aint cutting it!
I like sony i really do...but they keep disappointing a lot!
Most of their handsets this year were based on Snapdragon S3!
34. lsutigers (Posts: 759; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
Actually, Sony has one of the best track records when it comes to updating phones / tablets, including older devices, quicker than most other manufacturers.
17. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
You do realize 2013 starts in Jan and is about 3 months away....
21. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
I think he's mad!
He is saying 2013 as if it's millions of years away!!
29. XperiaUser (unregistered)
epic troller ....:D
2. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Hail the odin!
Never had before but I like Sony's offerings... and also they are prices competitively here.
One thing I don't wanna see.... don't name this handset something like b,v,c,x or anything. Keep it odin. ODIN RULES!!
22. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Odin is the name of the software used for flashing firmwares..
3. SleepingOz (unregistered)
How many "flagship" does sony release a year?
4. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 804; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
They've released 4 flagship phones for the past 2 years, means they've been releasing flagship every 6 months, if I can remember correctly it is part of their "One SONY" strategy of some sort.
6. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4007; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Look at Motorola. They seem to pop out another version of the Razr every few months.
7. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Well no one can keep up with Android, unless you'r a Techy or love phones, or you'r on good salary. Unlike a company making 1 phone every 2 years, with the same design and nothing new. Even myself would love to keep up with tech, but can't.....
11. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 804; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
I'm baffled to why you did'nt understand that? Poor guy hahaha. . .
24. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Me 2 didn't understood it well enough!!
13. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Xperia S and Xperia T for international markets
Xperia Ion and Xperia T for U.S.A markets
35. SleepingOz (unregistered)
What about the GX?
10. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
yeah whatever sir statetheobvious-a-lot. what i want is jelly bean update for xperia p and other phones. 2013 phones will obviously have to be jellybean if sony wants to compete in the market. if you ask me they should skip ics for phones that donot have it yet and give them jellybean.
12. Grishm (Posts: 52; Member since: 18 May 2012)
Yet another flagship from Sony which is likely going to pack a sexy design, awesome TimeScape UI, average hardware specs compared to rivals' flagships and a dumb name like T/TX/TL/GX. Hah!
14. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
Dude have you seen Xperia TL specs? I think sony has proved that their phones have specs way above average. Still I think there should be a method to the way they name their phones. Maybe there is and we just dont know yet(I hope).
20. Grishm (Posts: 52; Member since: 18 May 2012)
Which part of "average specs compared to other flagships" didn't you get?
25. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
oh yeah sorry about that, but i think thats gonna change in 2013 or at least i hope it will.
15. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Odin??? Careful, someone will get hit by lightning...lol
19. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
the lightning will be the flagship
16. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 438; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
I think the naming based from their naming of their BRAVIA's, VAIO's, and Cybershot digicams. All those are named with letters.
18. ryq24 (Posts: 527; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
they are just starting to release their flagship the xperia T/ TL/TX and now this news! when report that samsung s4 will be coming out early next year samsung quickly disclaimed the report for fear peple will wait for the s4 rather than buy the s3 now. wonder what sony will do.
26. yoyo93 (Posts: 34; Member since: 23 Sep 2012)
I'm 99% sure that I'm going to go with Sony for my next device.
27. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
naming changing.........check! :)
28. legend1 (Posts: 104; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Probably the coolest name for a phone ever
30. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
the blue live wall paper they have on the current xperias should now be THUNDER YELLOW! lol
32. b1acktiger (Posts: 210; Member since: 19 May 2012)
How many flagships in a year ? What are they thinking ?
Xperia S, SL, Ion, T, Acro S, Acro HD ? Tell me in real, which one is real flagship ?
37. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
the way sony releases their phones is that they put a more stable os first then update it later after release. xperia s came with 2.3.7 in january then later updated with 4.0.4(you know that 4.0.4 is the most stable ics right?) so relaesing a new phone with jellybean is the right thing to do as 5.1.1 and 5.2 would still be a beta
38. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
my mistake, i meant to write 4.x.x or jellybean instead