Some Verizon Galaxy S IIIs arriving early, but having problems with activation
0. phoneArena 05 Jul 2012, 11:21 posted on
Some lucky Verizon customers are finding frustration rather than joy from the early arrival of the Galaxy S III, as reports of problems with early activation trickle in...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GoodFella (Posts: 112; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
This is why GSM is king... pop the SIM in, get on with your life.
5. Steve.G (Posts: 8; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Being an LTE device, you would also just pop in the SIM and go. Unless there is some issue on the network whereby the provisioning can't take place.
6. ibap (Posts: 735; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
CDMA carrier greed at work. Why is there not a SIM-like system in their sandbox?
19. latinfirepr (Posts: 7; Member since: 27 Jul 2009)
Since it's LTE, it's a Sim based technology. You do just pop it in and go. Mine S3 has been activated since Monday the 30th when I got mine. I just put the sim in and it was active. GSM/SIM are not the same thing. Why don't people understand that? SIM's are used to activate thousands of things besides phones and have rolling codes. I have a SIM on my credit card. lol
GSM = A Wireless technology
CDMA = A Wireless technology
LTE = Another type of wireless technology (Not GSM as many kids on this site think it is)
SIM= A portable module that activates a mobile device when matched
28. GoodFella (Posts: 112; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Yes, LTE is a SIM Based technology, but the ESN still needs to be registered with the network. CDMA is not a SIM based technology, and I would imagine there are those who have upgraded from the Incredible two (CDMA) and other 3g/CDMA phones, to the SIII.
Doesn't matter what phone you have on T-Mobile or AT&T, you just pop the SIM and move on.
3. iWorld (Posts: 85; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Galaxy S3 is going to be banned soon. Enjoy iWorld
7. ObjectivismFTW (Posts: 211; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
The Judge already denied Apple's request to possibly ban the S3. Fail, Trollface.
4. hahahahaahahah (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Because the esn's are not registered with the network yet
8. jbjr43 (Posts: 50; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
I just got off a 45 minute call with Tech Support. It cannot be activated until 7/10, which is the official launch date (apparently)….
26. jogutier (Posts: 324; Member since: 12 Feb 2010)
False, I activated mine by following the directions.
9. AtomicMe (Posts: 23; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
I'm also having issues with my activation. After speaking with level 1 and level 2 tech support, they explained that since the phones weren't supposed to be activated till 6/10, many of the phones ID tags aren't in the Verizon database yet. She took my phone's IMEI # and sent it to another department where it's going to be added manually. She instructed me to try activating again in about 2 hours...
17. AtomicMe (Posts: 23; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Activation went through about 30 minutes ago. Everything seems to be working great now!
10. tehalley (Posts: 13; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Mine did not work, called & device was not loaded in their system. So have to wait as they put in a request to add. Now wait until they get back with me. How does a big company do such things???
11. jbjr43 (Posts: 50; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
Same thing here except I missed the call and got a VM. I'm on hold right now...
12. c.hack (Posts: 592; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Oh the wonders of the cheap plastic Samsuck
15. techman01 (Posts: 22; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
its ok youlll get your activated too even though i didnt pre order it any ways good luck
20. ObjectivismFTW (Posts: 211; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Thumbs up if youre GS3 didn't come today ='(
22. creiss74 (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I just got my S3 today and cannot activate it :(
I am upgrading from my Droid X and Unlimited Data.
23. vzw_customer (Posts: 14; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
activation went smoothly for me. been playing with since about 4:30 or 5:00. LOVING IT!
30. kealii987 (Posts: 5; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
How'd you activate your phone? By putting your sim card in or by calling?
24. hessphx (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I ordered mine the minute it came out for fear that it would be sold out....but somehow my friend who ordered 3 weeks after me has already has his shipped, and mine still hasn't. The Verizon reps both told me that no phones would ship until the 9th, so I read them his order number and they confirmed it was shipped, but again said the Galaxy SIII will not ship until the 9th. They really have no idea what they are doing....ever
25. wazzy (Posts: 5; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
My white 32g came today, activated fine and is amazing. Ordered on 6/6.
27. Ezmooch (Posts: 2; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
55min start to finish on the phone today at lunchtime to get mine activated. Apparently some of the phones were not propperly logged into their system before being sent out to customers. The rep that helped me said he was waiting on another team to get it fixed.
All data/phone functions working fine, just took a while.
29. kealii987 (Posts: 5; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
So then how will we know if ours was logged into their system?? Like how will I know that I won't have an issue?? Do I just put my sim card in the slot?
32. Ezmooch (Posts: 2; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I tried following the booklet directions, but that did not work so I called Verizon. If you have to call, be ready to be on hold for a while, but it all worked out.
37. kealii987 (Posts: 5; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
Okay thanks! So, how will I be able to check that my plan is still unlimited?
31. jbjr43 (Posts: 50; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
Follow the activation booklet that comes in the box. I originally called because the data plan on the packing slip/receipt wasn't unlimited, which was incorrect. They corrected it. I was about to send it back.
All is good now and I'm loving my white 32GB SGS III!
33. MM681 (Posts: 4; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
I received mine yesterday and went to activate it following the instructions. It didn't work and I was transferred to customer service. She verified the SIM card and device ID and that still didn't get it to work. She did some more digging around and then said it was because I needed to upgrade my data plan from my previous unlimited plan...even though when I pre-ordered I was told I would be grandfathered in. Well I had fell in love with the phone by then so I gave up my old plan and voila! After that activation went through smoothly. I think it's Verizon's ploy to get people to give up their unlimited data. I'm loving the phone so it made it all worth it to me.
35. MM681 (Posts: 4; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
^^^I just called Verizon back to request my unlimited data back because I pre ordered before the new plans were announced and they honored my request. So if anyone is told that's the reason that you can't activate it then don't believe it.
34. ObjectivismFTW (Posts: 211; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Did you have to preorder you gs3 first day to get it early? Cause I've heard people preordering it within hours of 6/6 and getting a notification that it would ship 7/9
36. MM681 (Posts: 4; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
I did pre-order on the first day and I was told my ship date was July 9th so it was a pleasant surprise when I received an email saying it was shipping early.