Some Nokia Lumia 930 and 630 versions don't allow users to set Google as default search engine
0. phoneArena 15 Jul 2014, 16:31 posted on
It looks like Microsoft is deliberately blocking Google from being set as the default search engine on the Lumia 930 and Lumia 630 (though this happens only in a few regions)...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
5. Jinto (Posts: 436; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
No, but my primary reason is cause of bing rewards
9. oboboy14 (Posts: 51; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
Well since you think it sucks, it probably won't matter. Its really not that bad. Neither is IE 11, its faster than chrome on my computer, but I miss a lot of the extensions chrome offers.
10. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Wp always having problems
This is missing
Can't do this
Can't do that
Can't sync deep integration
Email attachment and showing problem on tiles
- Can’t change ringtones for 3rd party apps, for example whatsapp sounds the same as my email, don’t know which is which, and can’t react accordingly. Not to mention Nokia all of a sudden feels like a notification light is worthless in WP.
- No battery percentage on start screen. Smartphones are battery hungry, I want to ‘effing know how much I have left! I’m paranoid about that scrap ! Even more beacause the Lumia L1020 has s**tty battery life, no matter how Nokia claimed the updates fixed that.
- Want to watch a video on silent, say when in a train? Yup, turn down your ringer volume from the volume rocker? Very convenient, thanks. Oh, yeah, and remember to turn the ringer volume back up after watching the video…
- Why can’t you have a quick toggle for vibrate? It shows from the drop down menu, but can’t change it from there? Logical.
I love the UI, but at times I feel my Nokia 5800 was way smarter and more powerful compared to this. It was an epic phone for the price. Well, at least I’m more pleased with the Lumia than the iPhone I had before it.
39. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Why don't you go ahead and elaborate and what half baked apps tell us, are every app on Android running the latest update as those on iOS etc, the answer is no. Tell us the problems, tell us what is missing, tell us exactly what it cant do?, you say a lot of things anyone can say but without telling us exactly what you talk about your points are void, you are a simple troll.
Now to the nonsense about WP can't deep sync integration, again explain what you mean in detail cause I can tell you WP moved smartphones from being App centric to integration centric or did you hit your head and forget, it started deep integration how can it not have it. Like Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1 will sync tons of settings through your Microsoft account and those that make sense will sync between Windows and Windows Phone too. quit yapping.
Email attachment and showing information on Tile, I have email attachment, in terms of Tiles WP unlike Android and iOS uses the complete homescreen and they all can be filled with Tiles, you cant get such a balance of beauty and productivity on any other homescreen. The other could only wish they had Live Tiles.
The ringtones+sounds module in the settings app you can set a custom sound for new text or IM messages, new voicemails, new emails, and reminders. If you are to lazy to turn up a volume button it must be because you spend your energy trolling.
No OS is perfect, Android and iOS has more than their fair share of problems, some of them obvious especially with Android.
WP plays on minimalism something others are imitating, you can have a live Tile battery app or just estimate from the default battery app but showing the battery percentage is as easy as swiping down on action center, I don't need my smartphone experience cluttered. WP are known for great battery Life as opposed to others.
At the end of the day I rather use a WP over any other platform cause for me when compared to the others it works best. That is called choice. Suck it up, live with it.
49. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
TL;DR version please. Btw your bing sucks. I like how nokia fanboys are unwillingly trying to like and use MS "services".
46. arenanew (Posts: 277; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
google os called baterry drainer second they fail in show right amount of information becoz they busing in makeing money and last my nokia 1600 better than nexus 5
25. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
You get rewarded for searching with Bing. It is like an airline frequent flyer program or a credit card membership rewards program, you earn rewards by using the service. The more you search the more credits you earn which can then be redeemed for many different things for eg. Amazon.com gift card (475 points).
You should not diss something if you really don't now about it. Be opened minded.
34. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
I think Microsoft should reward people for using their devices in the first place
37. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Well everyone is basing their UI approach based on Windows UI influence so you know they are good.
40. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Now you are just being plain foolish, you Sgodsell, Straightedgenexus or whatever his name is and quite a few others need to just lay off, enjoy technology.
42. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Thats One reason why I'm still using Windows 7 instead of 8 and sold my lumia 520
47. Jinto (Posts: 436; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
Yea, I have been using Bing Rewards for a year now and I can get a 20 dollar amazon gift card now :)
15. sgodsell (Posts: 3224; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
I think Microsoft needs more search data to help with its projects Cortana and Adam.
So what better way to get the data. Since WP is locked down and restricted. Microsoft forces its users to help them with the data Microsoft needs. Kind of like when Windows 8 was first introduced, forcing its users with Windows 8 metro UI.
55. joey_sfb (Posts: 5335; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
The IE on my VMware run bing default because I am too lazy to switch to Google.
70% of the time bing is OK. The other 30% I will just search with Google.com to get the right result.
Sometime the bing search is so off that is humorous!
56. Muzhhur (Posts: 260; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Yes It sounds exactly the same when you try to open websites like icloud or YouTube trought any Windows phone
2. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Bing that's built right into WP, and powers Cortana, who has proven to provide competent, and accurate information, works perfectly fine.... There is absolutely no reason why a user would be hindered, or restricted in any way, by having Bing as the default search option...
So, who cares.... And If you really do, unnecessarily, care then you might want to get an Android device to make sure you get the best Google experience... Make sense?
These articles are stupid!.. Would PA ever run an article about how some Android devices won't let you choose Bing as the default search engine?... Get a life, Phone Arena..
4. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Ten minutes old, Rodney loses it.
Grabs popcorn an cold one awaiting next flaming WP fan any moment..will it be the orange?
Who could it be?
6. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
That annoying orange sip1995 and that troll NokiaFTW fanboy will be here soon. Our you forgot Billgate.
Those 3 immature kids
8. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 2130; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Get real. Having ONLY Bing is a no-go, not that I use Google. I tried to like Bing, but MSFT is just as annoying as Google with the data mining, and the constant Bing Rewards nonsense is worse.
I would like it if every platform allowed Startpage/IXQuick search. iOS is at least allowing DuckDuckGo, which is my second choice.
13. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Rewards are pretty much nonexistent on WP unless you install the app.. We're talking about Bing on WP.. What are you talking about?
57. Jinto (Posts: 436; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
On desktop you log on to bing on your msft account and do like 60 searches on it a day, and after a year, you will have enough points to get a $20 amazon gift card
11. seanwhat (Posts: 280; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
android devices would never do that, that's the point.
24. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Ok, so what's the point?... Isn't this a WP device?... Do you expect for a WP device to look, function, and work like an Android device?.... What is going on here? Why?
29. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
That's right, it should work and function like Android, not like Wp.
Because Wp gets no love by public nor by users, accept fanboy who love Ms and Nokia.
26. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
A cat would never bark.
MS wants customers to use it's services.
The sun is never cold.
Apple doesn't use USB
An airplane would never submerge.....
Are these things abnormal, unexpected, or revelations to some of you guys, including PA????
33. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Windows phone is just a overhyped featurephone , focuses more on aesthetics rather than functionality
44. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Ok.. WP is a feature phone.. Note to ad you to the list of trolls to completely ignore indefinitely... Nice knowing you. Well, not really nice, but.... Peace!
45. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Just because he is expressing his thoughts and feelings, he's a Troll. Wth, you've added him on your troll list.
Your so devoted to Wp. Your pride and joy. What kinda fanboy are you
12. sgodsell (Posts: 3224; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Maybe if you actually started using Android, then you would know that is not true. Users on Android can change the search engine to Yahoo, Bing, Ask, AOL, and of course Google.
Not to mention there is a Yahoo and Bing search widgets that can be placed on the Android home screens. Remember WP and Microsoft are closed, restricted. It certainly can't be Android since its open.
14. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Exactly!. That's exactly my point... I don't usually respond to trolls, and don't think that I'm going to entertain you any further, but if certain people love Android so much, and think that it does exactly what they need way better than WP then what's the point?.. What's your point?.. Are you, and others, being blocked from using Android?... If that's your platform of choice then why would you care what WP can, or can't do?...... Why?
19. tasior (Posts: 265; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Because, they would also like to have a choice and since WP fails in most basic things for them, they are left with none.
21. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
But, why would you need another platform when Android is full of never ending choices?.. Android is infinitely customizable... It doesn't make sense what you're attempting to point out... Give me a real reason...
28. tasior (Posts: 265; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
I don't want to answer for anybody, since I wasn't in the conversation, when You asked it. Maybe they're not completely satisfied? They like some things in WP, but other things iritate them. So they need to point out, what is wrong in the OS, so maybe someone will notice and change it...
54. marcski07 (Posts: 598; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
i agree with tasior, remember, they have the brand of nokia, and have the os of wp, they want a nokia device with its features and their great hardware + trusted brand. but wp is making it so restricted that is become irritating, so many hates them... surely i would love to buy a beautiful phone from nokia, not because i'm a fan, but because i trust the brand and it never fails me to catch my eye because of their elegant design, but having restrictions because of the os, makes you restricted, i personally don't like to jump on android, because the design language and the skins are too frustrating just looking by it.. i want simple elegant looking handset, and nokia + wp has it, but the deal breaker is the restrictiveness of the OS, and their crAPPS, if you wan't to compete, you have to do what others are making good, and make it better.. metro ui is okay with me, but it is so restrictive as if the OS or MS owns me, not the other way around...
17. tasior (Posts: 265; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Hey PhoneArena. I would love to see more precise info about operating systems. What actually can be done with them, and what is impossible. Here are some questions, that many tech geeks, like to know:
Internet Browser - what are choices for platforms. How does text wrapping work on them. How do they work with media players? How does YouTube, Vimeo, or whatever work on them? When browsing, can You easily handle embedded videos or map in web pages. Can you download text files with weird type extensions and read them? etc.
Connectivity - bluetooth (sending files, internet tethering, playing music, compatibility with different OS's), DLNA (servers, pushing DLNA, and DLNA players, how does matter look like in each OS), WIFI (tethering, wireless connections with PC), SSH (is there possibility to make servers, or at least connect to servers and get files)
Maps and localisation - (what solutions are offered, which ones are offline, which ones are online, how rooting works, is there any way to get google map on WP, is there any way to get Here map on android etc. )
Cloud storage - (which services work on which OS's, and how comfortable they are)
Offline data managing - if someone doesn't trust NSA, or simply doesn't want to share his private information with companies, what can he/she actually do with his smartphone?
For many tech enthusiasts, much more important, when choosing platform, is how do they cope with problems like these above, than whether they have widgets or live tiles...
22. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Just a real, honest question.. I was just wondering how old you are.. I'm just wondering.. No jokes..
27. tasior (Posts: 265; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Why? Is it about the language? Sorry English is not my native language. I'm 27.
32. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
No, you speak fine, a lot better than a lot of guys on here... Some idiots use the word "Jelly" for jealous.... Now that's just plain stupid... What device do you have?
35. tasior (Posts: 265; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
You should be able to see my phone history in my profile.
I use Nokia 808, as my main device. I came back to Symbian from Android, because I was irritated, how rapidly my phone got old and slow, when I was using Android. Obviously system is dying, so I'm watching the market, in order to find something suitable, for future purchase. I will probably come back to Android since google worked on optimalization in Jelly Bean, and since the ultra exponential growth in processing speed slowly comes to an end. But I don't see anything worth switching, since PureView is truly life changing technology.
41. eharris560 (Posts: 78; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
We are here for the entertainment, not the education. DUH
18. Settings (Posts: 1467; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Huh? You can google at the browser right? So what is the problem? The native search is powered by Cortana that is powered by Bing. Why would you change that?
23. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
It's just another nit picking article by the bias of PA.. It's really, really stupid...
31. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Stop being jelly, you.
We understand your beloved, love for Wp, that you go bezerks when negative is against Nokiawp.
36. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
They could have left it alone in the first place
51. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Man that's old school, I search right from the homescreen with the search bar.
53. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
oh wait , that feature is only for Bing on WP
48. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Another reason not to btw a windows phone..