Snapdragon 800-based Samsung Galaxy S4 breaks benchmark records
0. phoneArena 14 Jun 2013, 08:40 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S4 is currently shipping with either a Snapdragon 600 quad-core or an Exynos 5 Octa chip, but chances are that a more powerful version…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ajac09 (Posts: 1407; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
God some days Id love to live in South Korea then I remember about the technical war still going on there
4. _Bone_ (Posts: 2147; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Social war too, the higher class flashes all sorts of gadgets, and the E330S will no doubt will be a great addition, while the masses of poor struggle to go on.
10. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
That is a bit of an exaggeration for South Korea, as they're one of the wealthier countries in the world. And I'm sure that the spread of wealth there is more equitable then it is here in America....
22. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Such is the case the world over though.
25. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Soooo, like any other developed nation? Their per capita income is ~$25000, so it is not too bad there. But yes, the elite control most of the wealth and political power there, as they do here and everywhere else in the world.
39. pulkit.tyagi (banned) (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
i am sure you are thinking of north korea !
47. jromy (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
Well...yeah, that's how it works everywhere innit'?
26. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Nope; Koreans' social life is f*cked up. In Korea, the rich, the top students, are also the bullies, and looks alone can decide whether you can land a job. If you look like a Gorilla no matter how good your grades are, or whether you have a degree you're in a tough time looking for jobs. Koreans start correcting their looks by surgery from high school age - the people there judge a person by looks. This stressful condition and high expectations everywhere are the reasons why they have the highest suicide rates in the world.
27. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I didn't comment on their culture.... I commented on their income. I know that Koreans get a lot of plastic surgery.
28. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Income? Not all of them; the poor continues to suffer in some way, especially in obtaining high-paying job opportunity.
30. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Just like everywhere else, the poor here also have a hard time finding jobs that pay a living wage...thats why they take 2 or 3 of them to scrape by. But the average income is about $25000, and is growing every year. I was telling _Bone_ that he was over exaggerating. But considering it is the 33rd richest country per capita income, things are not that bad there. There are ~160 countries doing worse. The problems it has are problems that all developed economies face. Some of it can be attributed to their culture, most of it can be attributed to greed and corruption in politics.
32. procol (Posts: 16; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
What's the thing your weird avatar has on her face? Panties? Looks like it's from the disgusting Japanese manga. No wonder you talk bad about Korea with exaggeration.
33. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
Oh! !! So sad... sorry for the ugly people in Korea and in around the world if that's their way of living. I'm so lucky, I'm not Korean.
41. urtardd (banned) (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
"Nope; Koreans' social life is f*cked up. In Korea, the rich, the top students, are also the bullies, and looks alone can decide whether you can land a job. If you look like a Gorilla matter how good your grades are, or whether you have a degree you're in a tough time looking for jobs. Koreans start correcting their looks by surgery from high school age - the people there judge a person by looks. "
Wrong you dumb permavirgin weeaboo
If your gpa is less than 3.0, the big firms in korea will just throw your resume in the trash. Also majority of them dont have surgery until after high school. And where aren't people judged solely by their looks? LOOOOOL How can your aspergers be this bad? Rofl go back to watching your japanese cartoons neckbeard
43. userx (Posts: 7; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I had never seen so much people living in the street like in the united states. Better be poor in South Korea 10 000 times than United States ....
2. Suraj3337 (Posts: 44; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Koreans, always getting treated better than the rest!
3. papss (unregistered)
I feel for the south Koreans with such asshole neighbors.
5. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The GPU on the Exynos based S4 is a beast but I'm definitely curious on the GPU on the S800. The Adreno 225 is a little disappointing on the S3.
51. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Not only do you not know how to read, you made yourself look like an ass. Clearly I said Adreno 225 in the Galaxy S3, not the S4.
48. ojdidit84 (Posts: 424; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
Yeah, Adreno 225 was pretty abysmal compared to even Adreno 320 that was in the S4 Pro/Prime. GPU performance of Qualcomm chips hasn't been that bad in a long while.
6. Igneel (unregistered)
Qualcomm is going to be rich!
Edit: ..is gonna be richer!!
8. elirev4 (Posts: 14; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
Why do they do that?!
I already bought the Exynos 5 Octa version!
12. wando77 (Posts: 507; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
You should probably kill yourself over that sub 400 advantage
16. tech2 (Posts: 2860; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
If you aren't Korean there is little you need to worry about ! Besides it didn't score that bad in comparison to Exynos Octa as well !
BTW, even I bought the Octa version inspite of knowing the upcoming S800 model coz I am pretty sure its not gonna be available throughout the world !
9. Ehtisham124 (Posts: 6; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
NVIDIA Tegra 4 scored over 36000 chek it out on youtube :)
11. kalloud (Posts: 142; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
Check the resolution of the device, that makes a difference!
13. Ehtisham124 (Posts: 6; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
u have a point.....i dont kow the resolution cuz the devices used were the refrece design tablets about 7 inches i guess....so yea at this point i guess gs4 holds the record :)
40. pulkit.tyagi (banned) (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
and the device also had a heat sink as spotted by some journalist , so the device might be running at higher clock speed than it would in a tablet(without heatsink) , granted s800 is running at 2.2ghz+ but it has a much lower TDP than a15 core in tegra 4.
15. _Bone_ (Posts: 2147; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
On a reference tablet, on wall charger, with heat sink. :D
Tegra4's heat and power consumption is an absolute disaster. It's so horrific that no phone will ever pack that and few tablets will.
17. Ehtisham124 (Posts: 6; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Then we just have to wait and see how many tablets or phones will have tegra 4
34. hisaak (Posts: 19; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
Sometimes I regret there's no thumb down any longer. How did you manage to pack so many lies in just three sentences?
19. Whateverman (Posts: 3236; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Still don't see why they're making yet another version of the GS4. This is basically a GS4+, and look at how happy HTC One X owners were to see the One X + when it came out. This just seems like a mistake that will come back to bit Samsung later.
23. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Normally I would be pissed but am not, I always new this was going to happen but the s600 is plenty powerful and I doubt in day to day usage you will see any didn't add the s600 is already a beast...
35. Whateverman (Posts: 3236; Member since: 17 May 2009)
The worst part is that what you just said is so very true, which means it makes even less sense to do this. The GS4 with the 600 is great as is, so remaking it not even 2 months later to give it a boost that people won't even notice doesn't make sense at all. I just don't get it.
36. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Lol its Samsung, they do it cause they can even it makes no sense to do so.. With things like the mega and zoom I am no longer surprised when Samsung do something that doesn't make sense.
20. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2484; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Wasn't there a story about a Snapdragon 800 powered S4 last week and it said that in one instance (Antutu I believe) that a Snapdragon 600 beat it. Now it's breaking all records. It seems a bit fishy.
29. _Bone_ (Posts: 2147; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It's still in testing. The I9500 scored some 15k in early benchmarks, now it does 28k regular, and 31k on same clock but different ROMs. In the end SD800 is really a slightly better built SD600 at a higher clock, so in the end the CPU differences won't be major - the GPU is where the jump is expected.
21. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Touch Wiz needs a Snapdragon 800 to run without lag.
24. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
I think it would be the same with the current tw, don't matter how powerful the CPU is, if its not optimised it will still lag.. Though the new update with the move to sd card is suppose to have improved the performance.
31. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
Hey! Samsung! !!!!! If you use s800 for sgs4 version, why not also use the back of sgs4 active and the front panel of regular sgs4 combined design, it's sooo.... sweet if it happen, and sorry for the early adapters of the first one.
45. _Bone_ (Posts: 2147; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I'm sure you can buy an Active-like back cover for about $3.
56. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
You don't understand, I don't like the design of the physical button of sgs4 active, it is better when it flush to display and separate to each other with two square, and rectangle home button, plus pure black screen. How about if there's also front stereo speakers? If it happen, it is sgs V... for next year .
57. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
I mean, i like the rugged back design of sgs4 active, it is a part of the frame/chasis, not only the back cover and the front panel of regular sgs4.
37. adoptop70 (Posts: 20; Member since: 29 Apr 2013)
i cant beleive ppl leave matter at hand den digress to korian culture and economy,
snapdragon 800 clock @ 2.2ghz to reach dat score,at what clock is octa core to get dat score,am quite sure if octa core clock at 2.2ghz it'll pass of that snapdragon score.
42. pulkit.tyagi (banned) (Posts: 35; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
but the thing is octa can not be clocked at 2.2ghz because a15 core in octa has higher TDP ( consumes more power ) than krait 400 core in snapdragon 800 which has much lower TDP ( so it can be clocked higher ). qualcomm chips always have TDP less than 3w but a15 can easily pass 4w range.
54. howardbarrett (Posts: 45; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
it's more about performance per watt than clock speed
44. penstand (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
Samsung already announced, when they launched Galaxy S4 in Korea, that there'll be new Galaxy S4 for LTE Advanced when LTE Advanced are ready, and LTE Advanced will be ready in September(at least according to several carriers' schedule).
50. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
I was thinking someone would bring that up, even though it's so far from reality. Congrats for being the only one to hold onto myths.
52. Trex95 (Posts: 647; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Good. But i bet it can beat the A7 and powervxr on upcoming IPhone 5s,6 or Ipad 5.
53. k1ng617 (Posts: 264; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
Title should be Snapdragon 800 GS4 BARELY breaks benchmark record. We're talking about a 1.7% increase over the Exynos 5. Barely worth mentioning except to display how pitiful it is...
58. jeanleo786 (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Jul 2013)
LG seems to be working on device powered by this processor which will be even faster than the Galaxy S4. As per reports, an unknown LG Smartphone is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor.
As per reports, an unknown LG Smartphone is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor. It was spotted on the AnTuTu benchmark site. The LG F320 is clocked at 2.3 GHz. Amazingly, the device scored 32002 which are way higher than the Samsung Galaxy S4 with the Snapdragon 800 score of 31491.