x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Options
    Close




Smoked by Windows Phone challenge: the results

0. phoneArena 12 Jan 2012, 10:29 posted on

Out of the nearly 30 challenges who put their smartphones against a Windows Phone handset, only three managed to grab the $100 prize. The rest were beaten by Ben Rudolph and his HTC Titan...

This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 10:50 21

1. dorfoz (Posts: 88; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)


Finally! A real world speed test! Synthetic benchmarks, quad cores, dual cores don't mean a thing if the phone can't do simple tasks or force closes.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 12:55 6

17. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4143; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)


I like WP7.5 Mango. I played with my brothers & it's actually very good. The one gripe I have with the WP platform is that it's only single-core. The reason the iPhone 4S beat the HTC Titan was because it's running a dual-core as opposed to the HTC Titan's single-core.

The reason why I say this is because they are both 3G but in that competition the dual-core of the iPhone 4S outperformed the single-core of the HTC Titan. The processes it took before the actual upload was done faster on the Apple iPhone 4S, that is why it won.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 13:47 6

24. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


that may be true. you also have to think about typing speed that kind of stuff. and even if the only difference was the dual core, it only beat it by the tiniest hair.
People that keep dissing WP7 have never tried it. give it a few hours of your time, you might be surprised.

that dude with the charge in the first video didnt know how to use his device. within like 5 seconds i can have maps up, hit the "upsidedown teardrop" looking icon that brings up local stuff, hit the steak house icon and find a 4 star restaurant super quick. may or may not have beat the windows guy, but it would have been a lot quicker than that do-do android guy.. lol

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 14:51 7

30. SellPhones82 (Posts: 514; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)


I was thinking the same thing on the first video...He apparently has not used Places and/or Google Maps because I pulled a list of places to eat and directions to Stone Creek (no 4 stars close to the warehouse district I'm in) without typing a thing on my phone in about 10-15 seconds and I'm running a pre-alpha version of ICS on my Evo. The guy running this knows what the changes prior and who knows how many other he used this same change one so he already knows what restaurant to pick plus has the data already cached for ever faster results.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 14:57 4

31. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4143; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)


Yeah those kids really didn't know how to use their phones. That is why they lost. I agree the Samsung Droid Charge is a very user friendly phone, he should have not lost.

The Apple iPhone 4S was a different story, the guy with the HTC Titan knew his phone as did the kid with the iPhone 4S so to me the dual-core just beat the single-core.

posted on 21 Feb 2012, 08:33

103. tedkord (Posts: 4922; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)


WP is very smooth, fluid and quick. It's just so damned ugly. Metro makes me wanna puke. If any good third party skins come out for it (and the apps get numerous enough), I'd consider it.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 21:29 2

71. dorfoz (Posts: 88; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)


I think this boils down to how well do you know your phone. Of course, some interfaces and features on phones DO make these everyday tasks simple.

Finding a restaurant? I did it with Siri on the 4s and I had faster results than that guy on the video. The weather- I did it faster with the widget on an android phone.

Unless you open an app that requires an intense amount of phone resources, until then would we really start min/maxing the spec sheets. What really irritates me, is when a phone can't do simple tasks consistently. A perfect phone would probably have the consistency and ease of use of an iphone, the power and customization of an android, and the integration of apps of windows. Pick your poison. heh

posted on 16 Jan 2012, 11:57

99. nlmmln (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)


"...both 3G but in that competition the dual-core of the iPhone 4S outperformed the single-core of the HTC Titan. The processes it took before the actual upload was done faster on the Apple iPhone 4S, that is why it won."

Uh, no. All the phones were connected to the same wifi network. WP7 won most of the time b/c the OS is designed differently and has better integration of functions and apps.

What is interesting is that you don't have to be a poweruser to be quick on WP7.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:12 6

35. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


Speed isn't everything. This is just a marketing gimmic because the windows phone can't deliver a "total" experience to the user. By total experience, I mean beating or meeting consumer's expectations, customer satisfaction scores, resell value, etc.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:37 6

42. Penny (Posts: 1183; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)


I'm sorry, but you are way off base. All evidence indicates that "Total experience" and customer satisfaction are honestly where WP7 really excels. If not, please do let us know where you found these low customer satisfaction scores.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 17:19 3

55. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> All evidence indicates that "Total experience" and customer satisfaction are honestly where WP7 really excels

Penny, you are mistaken. The proof is the voting done by consumers, i.e. voting with their pocketbooks and wallets or commonly known as market share. Just look at the market share of the top smartphones, and you be hard pressed to find WP7 leading the pack or in the pack.

The only person who is off base is Penny based on the millions of actual smartphone users.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 17:49 5

58. Penny (Posts: 1183; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)


First of all, lack of market share does not necessarily indicate low customer satisfaction. There are many factors involved that dictate market share.

Second, market share was not the point you brought up. You spoke specifically of the "total experience," in which you defined characteristics such as meeting consumer expectations and customer satisfaction ratings. Customer satisfaction ratings are ratings from the consumers of the actual product. You are arguing that the customer satisfaction ratings are dictated by the number of people who DO NOT own the the actual product. This is nonsensical.

If you want to look at real customer satisfaction ratings, go to an online store that sells some of these phones and look at the ratings and read the reviews from those that actually own these phones. I do not think it is fair for somebody in your position (assuming you are somebody who does not own the product) to tell those that do use the product that they are not satisfied with it.

I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but I think your logic in this argument is flawed.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 20:43 2

65. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


Penny:

You need to wake up and accept the truth. If customers don't like a product, they won't buy it. The market share is the standard or de facto definition to capture the "total experience" because it captures customer satisfaction in its aggregate. The market share at any one point in time captures these votes by customers and the market share over time captures the changes in the votes by customers. The current market share reflects people who spent money on these products and how well they like their products dictate the future market share rankings

Second, it's clear you are NOT versed in business when it comes to demographics, market share, customer satisfaction, etc. You never look online because these reviews are biased. What the professionals do is look at 3rd party independent surveys that track and rank these consumers using sound statistical sampling techniques.

In summary, your inability to understand the de facto standard using market share AND you inability to grasp basic statistical concepts reflect your hopelessly flawed arguments.

Separately, WP7 is a small player in the market (again based on 3rd party independent surveys) and future Windows cellphone face two unsurmountable obstablces: (a) inexpensive android smart phones that are flooding the market and (b) high switch cost to windows from either Android or Apple.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 07:12 3

82. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


ardent,
i love it when you try to pretend you are somehow superior and browbeat someone.. while being off your rocker the entire time.

."By total experience, I mean beating or meeting consumer's expectations, customer satisfaction scores, resell value, etc."

judging by the user reviews, the WP7 sets are the best at customer satisfaction and expectations. And who gives a flying f*ck about resell value? ALL higher end phones keep a nice resale value. Your magic nudge at the iphone doesnt hold water. Android phones are more expensive and keep their resell value just as long.

WP7 sales have been sluggish not because of the OS or the hardware, but because of the lack of advertising and more directly, the lack of SALES REP support in the store. Sales reps that are not comfortable with a device for any reason including lack of knowledge, will not sell the device because they dont want returns. WP7 had a quiet launch ON PURPOSE to work out the bugs and make their grand push bug free.

And thats where WP7 is at right now.. on the eve of their first "grand push" into the mobile space. With Nokia and MS pushing this thing full throttle, as well as finally taking the time to make the reps comfortable with it, WP7 is going to take off.

Bottom line.. Penny is right, you are wrong... and she used your own made up "quality" stats to prove you wrong.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 18:18

92. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)


"Android phones are more expensive and keep their resell value just as long."

wow.. really.. have you seen any iphone 4 at a penny on amazon?... Android will never hold value like the iphone...

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 19:42 4

94. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


go check the contract price of the i4s vs the nexus. which is more expencive?
go check the full retail of the i4s vs the Note. which is more expencive?
go check ebay for an SGS2 and an i4. which is more expensive?

SGS2 i9100 international unlocked 16gig
USED from $490

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-i9100-16GB-Noble-black-Unlocked-Smartphone-International-version-/102709718?_dmpt=Cell_Phones&_pcategid=9355&_pcatid=801&_refkw=used+galaxy+S2&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5909&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

i4 unlocked 16 gig
USED FROM $200

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-iPhone-4-16GB-Black-AT-T-Smartphone-/99998176?_dmpt=Cell_Phones&_pcategid=9355&_pcatid=801&_refkw=used+iphone+4&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5909&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

the brand new i4s 16 gig
USED FROM $430

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-iPhone-4S-Latest-Model-16GB-White-AT-T-Smartphone-/109348370?_dmpt=Cell_Phones&_pcategid=9355&_pcatid=801&_refkw=used+iphone+4&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5909&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

your point is pointless, tired, and WRONG. why dont u try researching before you spout. it will save you some typing and us a headache from reading. :) :) :)

posted on 21 Feb 2012, 08:39

104. tedkord (Posts: 4922; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)


The reason the iPhone 4 is never a penny on Amazon is that Apple controls the prices, and doesn't allow those sort of sales.

But, yeah, Android used phones don't hold their value like iPhones. Personally, I think that's more about cult of personality, but that doesn't make it any less true.

posted on 15 Jan 2012, 18:41

95. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> And who gives a flying f*ck about resell value?

New flash to RVI -- customers care about resell values. The cell phone is no different from a tablet or a car -- the resell value helps cement high customer satisfaction scores.

posted on 16 Jan 2012, 12:55

100. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


ardent,
unlike you who pretends to be some big business guy while using phones on cricket, im actually in the business i talk of. Do you know how often i get asked about resell value? almost never. i have to educate customers of the wonders of ebay and craigslist every day.

it is a fanboy bullet point.. and a WRONG fanboy bulletpoint when gallito uses it. Android phones have higher full retail, higher on contract, and higher resale values than iphones. FACT.

And again, who really cares. I dont buy a phone wondering "man, i wonder what this will be worth in 2 years to sell". NO ONE does.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 20:45 3

66. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)


indeed customer satisfaction is not the main reason for WP to have low market share there are many factors, if it where that way then android is the best Smartphone OS ever simply because it has more market share. WP is a nice phone, its just not easy to come back from the death for some companies

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 03:11

80. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> if it where that way then android is the best Smartphone OS ever simply because it has more market share

And that is why the 3GS on one carrier in the US outsell the best android phone, respectively, based on the latest 3rd party survey data. The market share of the 3GS is undeniable. That is to say despite all the advancements that android OEMs have made, the 3GS continues to attract sales and corresponding market share.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 07:14 2

83. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


get new bullet points. the "this phone outsells other phones" argument is not only tired and played out but pointless. Ecosystems drive app developers and excitement.. if its one phone or 10 phones.

posted on 15 Jan 2012, 18:44

96. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


To the RVI -- one reason the 3GS outsells the best android devices is due to the high resell value of the 3GS after the end of the contract term, respectively.

posted on 16 Jan 2012, 12:59

101. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


I love when you call me the RVI and then say something stupid. Seriously, its funny. keep it up

$89. wow that is a super high resale value for a 3gs. Incredible.. i should go buy one today!!
Ill get it for the awesome price of free ON CONTRACT and still pay the CONTRACT SUBSIDY that is the same for every phone.. so that just means that I'll be paying WAY MORE than the phone is worth to get it for free. Carriers figure it takes about 20 months for the customer to pay back the subsidy so they spread it out over every contract they have. The cheaper the phone, the more you are OVER PAYING.

I wonder if any of you crazy ibot defenders actually do research into the things you spout.. then again, if u did, you wouldnt be spouting it.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-iPhone-3GS-8GB-Black-AT-T-Smartphone-/100012593?_dmpt=Cell_Phones&_pcategid=9355&_pcatid=801&_refkw=3gs&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5909&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 09:04 1

87. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)


You said WP has no market share then it must be a bad customer satisfaction WP is an OS not a phone but an os and should be compared with OS Android is king in that matter despite the 3GS numbers it's a free iPhone two things that do well together. What advantage or superior performance the 3GS offer?

posted on 15 Jan 2012, 18:46

97. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> You said WP has no market share then it must be a bad customer satisfaction

In business, the term is called "being marginalized" because customers are PREFFERING other products. Both Android and Apple devices are giving their users, on average, a higher customer satisfaction score than WP, respectively.

posted on 21 Feb 2012, 08:51

106. tedkord (Posts: 4922; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)


So, let's play the iFan card here then. We're constantly told by iFans that the reason Android outsells iOS is it's often on free phones and BOGO phones.

Now, how much exactly is the 3GS on contract?

posted on 21 Feb 2012, 08:44 1

105. tedkord (Posts: 4922; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)


Yeah, WP has to overcome the years of reputation that WP6-6.5 built up. They became stale, and stood still for a long time while everyone else was running past them. Microsoft became the mobile OS that couldn't. It's not going to be easy to win people back after that.

posted on 07 May 2012, 14:37

108. Torontoguy (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 May 2012)


I suppose the same logic could be used to argue that McDonald's is the finest restaurant or (at least) has the best hamburgers because of the 'billions and billions sold". Minor players, like 'Five Guys' for example, must not be very good because they have not sold as many.

The logic seems to breakdown.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 10:51 7

2. knights4life03 (Posts: 126; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)


I wish i was at ces. Win or lose to ben's titan i win either way

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 10:53 7

3. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)


Nearly 30 challengers
Score is
WP 27 - 3 Non-WP
So 27 people exchange for Windows Phone
And 3 obtained $100

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 11:54 7

11. Nick_T (Posts: 145; Member since: 27 May 2011)


It isn't exactly clear whether everyone who lost was given a Windows Phone device as a gift. I doubt that an iPhone owner would exchange his precious for an HTC Trophy. That guy who got upgraded from a Palm Pre Plus, however, must be pretty happy right now.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 11:08 1

5. torr310 (Posts: 388; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)


Which of these 3 phones won?

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 11:13 2

6. OriginalSIM (Posts: 14; Member since: 29 Aug 2011)


the iphone is the only phone that won. but they never put it against a top teir android and the people that they chose to compete against were tards. dude with the iphone all he had to do was ask siri (if she was working) for a five star restaraunt near by and it would have won. and the other dude with the charge was retarded. If they asked people who knew what they were doing with their phones it may have been different. not to say that windows phone isnt very awesome. because it is. If there were one on verizon I would have one. But the competition is not very fair. i want to know what phones they went against. and the average intelegence of the people they picked.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 12:32 3

15. ReturningToNokia (Posts: 130; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)


Actually, there is footage at wmpoweruser.com where the Galaxy Nexus did not win.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 14:11 2

26. Whateverman (Posts: 3223; Member since: 17 May 2009)


I don't think it's so much the phone as it is the person using the phone. Being a WP7 expert, I'm sure Ben knows best all of his devices strength and weaknesses and issues a challenge based on WP7 strengths. If the guy with the Charge known his device as Ben did, he would have done a voice search for restaurants as well or just click the "Places" icon which could have done the same thing. Win or lose I think what he's trying to prove here is that WP7 isn't the cut rate OS that many believe it to be...that it should be considered a top contender as well. And its working.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 00:14

77. Damien_666 (Posts: 37; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)


Did you realise you're pulling down the typical users of your own platform?
"average intelligence of the the people they picked" LOL

Those who went for the challenge reflect a sample of the average user.
Not everyone takes the time to know their phones well enough, to set it up as a power toy.
One reason I hate iPhone is due to the owners, not the device - they buy it for it the snob value.
There are still millions who have a smartphone, but can do little more than answer calls and text a little.
Irritates me as well, but that's reality!

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 11:34 8

7. markcavus (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)


I have a Windows Phone, an Android and know enough about Iphone to tell you these tests are real. You couldn't pay me to go back to my Android or carry an Iphone. That is why when I shopped At&t's website every Windows Phone handset, has had a higher rating by At&t customers than EVERY Iphone model. It has been that way since it launched and I am considering buying a Mango handset so I just checked again and the result is the same. Also when I went to Amazon.com and sorted by customer ratings 6 of the top rated phones across all carriers are Windows Phones. Yeah I am a phone geek and after owning one for over a year am not surprised at those stats.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 11:36 6

8. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5618; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)


wow...there is so much wrong with this challenge.

1. he's issuing the challenges so he knows exactly what to expect and what he's going to do before the competition.

2. there's a degree of user experience that's affecting these challenges. they need to race for the same goal, the same way and even then Mr. Ben can probably use a Windows Phone better than these guys can use their phones so most of it is really them racing Ben then the iPhone racing the Windows Phone.

3. it's obviously set up to play Windows Phone's strengths.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 12:15 7

12. Penny (Posts: 1183; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)


That's half true...

The part that is true is that it does play to Windows Phones' strengths, especially with somebody who is very experienced at operating the OS (Ben) heading the competition.

However, the point that this contest attempts to prove is that many everyday tasks can be completed faster in WP7 than in competing operating systems, and that point is valid. I own a WP7 phone but do not know it nearly as well as Ben does, but I still would be able to complete the tasks almost as quickly just because the OS makes it that easy for me.

The question isn't who can operate their phone the fastest, the question is whose phone offers the best integration of these daily tasks.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 13:53 6

25. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


agreed.

WP7 isnt going for the "who can do the most" crown.. that's android's title. its "who can get daily functions done the easiest/fastest" and that was the point of the competition. For non power users and first time smart phone people, WP7 should be seriously looked at. It just gets things done.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:17 1

37. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> The question isn't who can operate their phone the fastest, the question is whose phone offers the best integration of these daily tasks.

That is a SOFTWARE question. If you took a step back and looked at the BIG PICTURE, how users complete everyday simple tasks is really a SOFTWARE question. The hardware helps the software run faster, but at the end of the day, it's SOFTWARE.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:44 3

45. Penny (Posts: 1183; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)


Right. And in this competition of OPERATING SYSTEM functionality, we are not paying attention to the hardware, but rather to the ability of the OS to complete ordinary tasks.

Just to be clear, operating system = software.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 17:41

57. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


> Just to be clear, operating system = software.

There are two main software companies in the US -- MS and Apple. It's a no-brainer which company writes better code; MS OS' since Win 3.1 have been bloated as in bloatware. Plus MS OS (starting with XP) has been copying or taking cues from Apple's OS since Steve Jobs returned to Apple.

So if you are comparing OS, iOS crushes WP7 -- just no comparison.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 07:17 3

84. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


did you eat your stupid-o's this morning??

good lord.

you know which software is better? the one that can do more things on more devices. The one that is more bendable without breaking. Thats WINDOWS, not a stripped down Unix on rails that only works on a small amount of devices.
And, BTW, they all copy from each other.

Getting software to work on a myriad of devices and configurations is exponentially harder than getting it to work on 1 or 2.

posted on 15 Jan 2012, 18:49

98. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)


To the RVI -- WINDOWS is a horrible OS. Please wake up and smell your own BS.

The standard of discerning the best OS is based on its robustness, not how many platforms it can be ported to.

posted on 16 Jan 2012, 13:03

102. remixfa (Posts: 13925; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)


umm.. please keep calling me RVI, because every time you do, you get dumber and dumber with your responces. Its comedy at this point

"The standard of discerning the best OS is based on its robustness, not how many platforms it can be ported to"

by definition, an OS that can be ported to multiple platforms is more robust. it has to be to fit multiple platforms. The most robust platform out there in both features and compatibility is Windows PC, followed by Android, then WP7, and lastly iOS which is just now catching up to features Android has had for years... and still cant truely multitask. Neither can WP7, but it has more built in syncing/features than iOS and is more portable so therefor it places above iOS.

Judge the OS with what it can do without additional apps.. not with them.. they are 2 separate subjects.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:55 2

47. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5618; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)


there's plenty of different ways to get these things done on any platform. i could've used my social location app on my Droid Bionic and found a four star restaurant in a similar manner to how Ben did on his Titan. Android uses Widgets just like WP7 uses Tiles. beating that kid with the Pre Plus was just pure marketing strategy. if an unbiased judge had been issuing the challenges WP7 wouldn't have come out winning so much. this is a "i know how to use my phone better than you" challenge not a "my phone is faster than yours" challenge. don't get me wrong i like WP7 and it does what it does well but this challenge means absolutely nothing. it's just marketing.

posted on 13 Jan 2012, 00:25 1

78. Damien_666 (Posts: 37; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)


What you seem to be missing - 90% of smartphone users (all users infact) don't take the time off to know or customize their phone!
They just expect it to work faster. How? They don't know or care (specs, I mean).
That's what this challenge is trying to point out.

If you want to object, you should read the list of 10 scenarios they came up with.
If you DON"T think they are actually typical tasks done by us, then I think you have a case.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 14:36 5

28. dsDoan (Posts: 219; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)


Completely true. If I knew the challenges ahead of time, I would have specific apps for these specific tasks sitting on my home screen, ready to go.

No one questions the reason for this challenge. At the same time, no logical thinker can accept the validity of it, either. This challenge is a set-up, and therefore it proves nothing.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:13 2

36. Penny (Posts: 1183; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)


dsDoan,

That's exactly the point that Microsoft is trying to make with this contest. If you use iOS or Android, you would have to prepare for this competition by downloading specific, single-function applications. The videos posted above were based on functions already built-in to WP7, functions that he did not have to download apps for (the only exception may be the weather challenge, although my phone did come with a weather app stock). Overall, you are looking at what a stock WP7 phone can do, not a pre-prepared WP7 phone, and so it does prove what it set out to prove.

I recommend watching a video review of WP 7.5 (Mango) if you want to take a look at how a stock WP device may perform these tasks.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:44 2

46. dsDoan (Posts: 219; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)


The first video: Places is a stock Android feature that serves that exact purpose. Open Places, and one tap will give you a list of local restaurants sorted by four-star first. Two more taps and you have driving directions to the restaurant of your choosing.

Second Video: The "Live Times" that he keeps mentioning are apparently something you setup and pin to your homescreen to give you instant information. Aren't those called widgets on any other device? Android has a stock weather widget & app.

Third Video: Within the stock camera app, it takes 3 taps to take and upload a picture to Twitter using Android.

These are all stock features of Android, and from the looks of it, stock features of iPhone, as well.

Useful features, but seeing as the other top smartphones offer them straight out of the box, as well, I'm not seeing any advantages based on this challenge.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 16:01 1

48. Penny (Posts: 1183; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)


Understood, this app functionality may be built into stock Android phones, but I was responding more to your comment that this competition was biased because the challengers did not have the chance to prepare specific apps prior to the competition.

If the stock Android phones comes with these apps installed, then it is even more poignant that the WP7 did it faster, as that would indicate the WP7 implementation is more efficient in use (based on the fact that WP7 won most of the challenges here). Obviously, Ben's familiarity with the OS and tasks and the challengers' varying degrees of experience with their operating systems is a factor.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 16:19 2

49. dsDoan (Posts: 219; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)


He had these apps setup and pinned to his homescreen beforehand. I could do the exact same with my phone. Then, where's the differentiation?

He's basically saying: "If you set up your Windows phone like this, then you will have easy access to these specific features." But that is no different than any other smartphone.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 16:36 1

51. Penny (Posts: 1183; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)


Like I said, built in functionality. Only app that has to be pinned to the homescreen in the three uploaded videos is the weather app. For the camera + twitter challenge, there is a dedicated hardware camera button on every WP7 phone, and the option to upload to Twitter is available right from the picture he just took. For the restaurant look up, one of the three dedicated capacitive buttons below the screen is a search button (basically opens up the Bing search app). Within that app, he can just press the local scout button to look up nearby restaurants, filter down the information by distance, rating, relevance, or cuisine type, and all the information is provided for each restaurant (including a Directions link to the Bing Maps app).

Again, WP7 did have the home court advantage in this competition, but that's just stock functionality, no prep required.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 17:37

56. dsDoan (Posts: 219; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)


If we're talking stock: Stock Android has the weather widget on the main homescreen by default, and the Places icon located on one of the side homescreens. Most Android phones have dedicated camera buttons.

This nullifies all three advantages highlighted in this challenge.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 16:29 2

50. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5618; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)


Does it matter? these are the advantages you have when you have a largely habitated store of apps and like dsDoan told you there's more efficient ways of doing these things on other platforms natively that if you weren't being pressured by the spirit of competition would have worked just as well. Ben has a cool head because he already knew what he was going to do. if the point is that WP does daily tasks better than other platforms this doesn't accurately prove it because people aren't racing daily. i'm not saying WP couldn't have won in a fair competiton, i'm saying this wasn't a fair competition.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 16:46 1

53. Penny (Posts: 1183; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)


I completely agree with you King, and I'm not trying to argue with you guys that Microsoft didn't have an advantage in this competition, because it did. All I am saying is that in what the competition was trying to show - that WP7 is efficient in completing everyday tasks, arguably more so than its competitors - it did so successfully. Where our opinions differ is on just how biased this competition was. Personally, I feel like a user of WP7 with average knowledge of the OS would fare better than a user of Android or iOS with average knowledge of those operating systems, especially if we are looking at stock phones. I therefore don't find this competition to be as biased as you guys are considering it to be.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 17:04 1

54. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5618; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)


You're probably right but as an analytical, efficient freak i can easily see this going differently based on the depth of the user's ability to use their platform of choice. anonimust i believe took our points and found good common ground.

posted on 12 Jan 2012, 17:52

59. Penny (Posts: 1183; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)


I agree with both of those points.

* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories