Siri in iOS 6 vs Google Voice Search in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (video)
0. phoneArena 29 Jun 2012, 04:51 posted on
Both services are able to tell you the weather when you ask them, set up timers and reminders, as well as relay sports results to you with the power of natural language. In the video below from Techno Buffalo it is clear that Google's new solution is faster and the voice it utilizes sounds more human, while Siri has more sophisticated info cards layout popping up when you ask it how tall is Kobe, for example...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
13. aaronkatrini (Posts: 237; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
Well, Dont hate me for this but...
Isn't Google copying from Apple?
Well of course is doing things better but still copying it sounds to me.
Haters gonna hate!
And I'm a Htc boyfan, And definietly getting the Nexus7 :)
16. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
This is obviously an add-on to Google Voice Search. It looks and performs nothing like Siri. It doesn't annoy the s**t out of you either, by talking back to you. Less gimmicky, more usefulness.
By the way: HELL YEAH, GOOGLE!!
31. CellularNinja (Posts: 300; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
Yeah you can definitely see Apple trying to make it aesthetically pleasing by not having perfect squares and having rounded corners and what not. But it takes longer, so who cares! If I'm using my voice assistant I don't care what it looks like I want the job to get done fast.
18. tedkord (Posts: 4504; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
No hate. Google has been working on this for years. It was codenamed Project Majel, after Majel Roddenberry who was the voice of the computer on Star Trek: The Next Generation forward.
19. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5471; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Isn't Google copying from Apple?"
Natural language user interfaces existed even before Siri !
41. aaronkatrini (Posts: 237; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
This isnt about natural language user interface is about a personal assistent!
But yeah good point, there's nothing like "hey im first!"
42. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5471; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Natural Language User Interfaces (LUI) are a type of computer human interface where linguistic phenomena such as verbs, phrases and clauses act as UI controls for creating, selecting and modifying data in software applications."
"Siri (pronounced /ˈsɪri/) is an intelligent personal assistant and knowledge navigator which works as an application for Apple's iOS. The application uses a natural language user interface to answer questions, make recommendations, and perform actions by delegating requests to a set of Web services."
27. DOUBLE_BASS (Posts: 44; Member since: 18 Apr 2012)
I agree with you and I don'y know how or who consider apple followers are sheep and google geeks are genius, you're the all-planking, e-consuming crap of the world.
I own an android too.
30. wendygarett (unregistered)
Im sorry to say that siri is going to copy back android to be 'offline'
32. KParks23 (Posts: 446; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
It amazes me how stupid people and apple fanboys are. You actually think apple came up with something.. google has been developing there voice assistance for years and what's apple do rush out a buy a voice assistance just to hurry up and release it in beta form to consumers calling it a finished product so the can no doubt have another lawsuit in the near future so they can look like sum1 stole something some them and have something to cry about
33. Fallout09 (Posts: 413; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Is copying a copy really considered copying? Now try saying that 3 times fast.
39. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Don't post or comment what you don't no, you uneducated unknowledgeable dimwit...
25. structureman116 (Posts: 135; Member since: 14 Sep 2010)
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Google Voice search on the original Moto Droid that was released in November, 2009? Siri was founded in 2007 and acquired by Apple in 2010. Hardly seems like Google is copying anything from Apple!
47. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Here's a better test:
(google "google gets siri gets" if the link does not work)
2. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5471; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Poor, little Siri got her ass whipped... :)
3. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 411; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Google Voice Search's voice is convincing enough.
35. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
iDon't know about Google's Voice Search but, what iDo know is that, iHave yet to be able to have a conversation with that bi-ãshe S¡R¡ like in the commercial with John Malkovich on my iPhone 4S; she keeps telling me, "that's a conversation for another day." Why won't she talk to me?
7. aaron12345 (Posts: 15; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
I love the s-voice on the galaxy s3, but when the s3 is updated to jelly bean will I be able to use this Google voice as well?
9. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
Definitely. But i gotta say, as a SGS III user too, we're lucky enough if we receive it by the end of the year..
15. jan25 (Posts: 385; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
it definitely should not take more than time ICS update arrived to the SII.
10. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 801; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
"The Voice Sound more Incredibly Human" that's all I wanna know. . .
11. jan25 (Posts: 385; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
Google should've called their new Voice Search "Payback is a B*tch Apple"
50. Jodabro (Posts: 35; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Maybe they should code name it "Lady" or some female dog name.
12. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
I love Samsung & my Galaxy S3, but they are the real loser here! I can't imagine how much embarassment they have right now! Lol.
New Google Voice search >= Siri >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> S-Voice
17. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Lol yep. :P I suddenly hate TouchWiz even more, lol.
26. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
I don't hate new Touchwiz at all.. Infact, it is the most fluid & smoothest Android Skin UI out there & even the stock Vanilla ICS UI of G-nex is no exception..
And I already compared the new TW UX to Sense 4.0 and from what i gathered, the only advantages of the latter is that it has more sophisticated / professional "look" in it's lockscreen and homescreen & a better "skinned native apps", plenty of widgets (no contest), better social integration & personalization.. While the rest is for Touchwiz.. Fluidity & smoothness, less memory hog, motion gestures, plenty of software features, much cleaner App drawer coz i don't like the Sense 4.0's version.. There you go..
69. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3945; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I'd have to disagree with you there... Motorola's ICS UI is the most fluid
29. wendygarett (unregistered)
May 3rd 2012 --- June 29th 2012
37. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol... it came.. and it went.
now the question is when the SGS3 gets 4.1, will they keep S-Voice and disable google or just dump S-Voice through Vlingo and rename the google app S-Voice.
S-Voice is great, but yea, goog voice is definitely better.
14. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 356; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
i just saw apple's siri just got smoked out by android's voice search.200 new features in ios 6...lol......lol............
70. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3945; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
200 features that are new to iOS users... Android has had most of those features since 2.2
20. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
apple fans say, ooo google copy apple again.
but google have voice searh from long time ago, now the make it perfect
and i dont know, but i'm not hear about google voice beta when launch, and yet siri still beta
21. qwertypoor (Posts: 72; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
So more people going to use voice now? When siri came out alot of user was like no one really uses it anyway so now it's a big deal that it's like siri and better and people claim google old voice action is better then siri so why is this a big deal lol hmm i'm just saying
22. tedkord (Posts: 4504; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I won't be using it any more than I use current voice actions - to send a text if I'm driving, or something equally rare.
38. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i use voice actions alot. i know im the minority though. new features are always fun. :)
24. qwertypoor (Posts: 72; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
Wonder how it would do against IBM 's watson Microsoft maybe should try and use that to compete against siri and Google voice
28. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I'm far more interested on its automated features, as I have said before an assistant should not have to wait for your input, telling you that you have to leave at at specific time to be there on time without having to ask it is far more interesting and advance.
34. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
I've only had Jelly Bean on my phone since yesterday but this morning at work my secretary asked me if it's supposed to rain today. I was all excited to show off "What's the weather like today?" but when I opened Google Now it already had the "weather card" prepared for me since I used it a couple times yesterday.
I didn't get to show it off but I was still impressed...
40. maxican16 (Posts: 363; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
I too am extremely excited for Google Now, and it displaying these very same capabilities you're looking for!
44. protozeloz (Posts: 5371; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I can see a lot of potential, I can see it in my future making shopping lists based on meals and habits, giving me workout challenges based on my routine, and so on. of this app allows devs to have their apps use this it will be a great deal
36. WhyNotRadioShack (Posts: 13; Member since: 01 Jun 2012)
One of the main reasons I am switching over to the Galaxy SIII
45. mas11 (Posts: 1028; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I can't think of a single way that the iPhone is better than Android.
49. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
Rich contents of applications & games.. But that's it. fluidity & smoothness is not really issue anymore.. so there you go..
53. mas11 (Posts: 1028; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Google play has 600,000 apps and the app store has 650,000. That's not much of a difference, and with project butter Android is very smooth.
60. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
it has more snobbery surrounding it.. lol
thats about it.
the "exclusive" device.. thats behind the curve in every area, and its so exclusive its sold as prepay and at walmart. yup yup.
68. MagicTaco (Posts: 11; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I have both an Android and iPhone and use each for certain things. I do like to play games more on my iPhone, despite it's smaller screen - some of the apps I just can't get on Android. My RAZR still has unlimited data for Verizon though so I use it as a hotspot or to watch HBO/Netflix at work/when travelling.
48. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Fandroids claim Siri is a gimmick and now excited to have it on android. Nice back pedal as usual.
Mas11 there's lots of ways Apple is better
52. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
By the way, i'm very close to getting banned and might as well stretch it over a weekend.
Taco, you are such an idiot.
54. mas11 (Posts: 1028; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Name a few reasons to back up your claim. Remember we're comparing Android 4.1 to iOS 6.